[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cell phones have almost ruined film. Discuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: brick-1.jpg (35 KB, 590x580) Image search: [Google]
brick-1.jpg
35 KB, 590x580
Cell phones have almost ruined film. Discuss
>>
Cellphones HAVE ruined everything. You can't even walk down the street without some faggot capturing you onto their instafacebook. Pray for an apocalypse.
>>
>>70259752

Edgy
>>
>>70259752
Kek what a fag
>>
>>70259069
phonebooths used to be bad for film. every film pre-2010 had phonebooth scenes that had taken up at least 50% of it's runtime. Thank god for cellphones
>>
no, just technology in general, you mean as a storytelling device right?
>>
>>70259069

um. just set the movie in the 90s or earlier?

problem solved.
>>
>>70259069
How long until the use of a cell phone in film makes a movie look dated?
>>
File: 1381377781974.jpg (495 KB, 1538x1040) Image search: [Google]
1381377781974.jpg
495 KB, 1538x1040
>>70260049
>catch Superbad on t.v.
>flip phones in the first conversation of the movie (and throughout) immediately remind me that this was shot in mid 2000's
I never thought I'd feel nostalgic about that time period in the slightest
>>
>>70259917
Preaching to the choir. I hated all that telephone booth time in Apocalypse Now.
CHARLIE DON'T MAKE PHONE CALLS
>>
File: Cellphones.jpg (122 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cellphones.jpg
122 KB, 640x480
https://youtu.be/XIZVcRccCx0

Every horror movie since 1996 has had to have a scene like this.
>>
>You now realize the real problem is bad writers who can't adapt their minds to the realities of modern inter-connectivity.
>>
>srsly using your normiephone outside
>>
>>70259836
>>70259869
Upvoted
>>
>>70259752
Chill out nekbear
>>
>>70259752
True, you can't even have sex in the open without the fear of some bastard recording you.
>>
>>70260554
Somebody should make a movie where they just don't have cell phones, see if anybody complains.
>>
Texting ruined film.
>jarring cut to the phone screen and back
Or even worse
>magical floating letters appear over the phone
>>
>dammit why didn't I think of using my phone
>can't get a signal/connection
>the battery's done
>it broke
>someone stole it
>I must've dropped/forgot it somewhere
>nobody's answering
>they didn't believe me
>even if I message them they won't get here in time
>google doesn't know the answer
>the picture I took is too dark and blurry

Alternatively, cellphones are TOO useful and they are used against the protagonists.
>>
>>70262092
I can't stand scenes with floating bubbles of text, that's usually an indicator of a shitty movie, it works sometimes in House of Cards.
>>
>>70262092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzuMwNmH9Vo&t=1m9s
>>
>>70259069
They're certainly not as cinematic. If a film is set in the modern day, mobile phones, or the implication that one could just use a mobile phone, kills tension. And of course if a writer tries to eliminate the opportunity of mobile phones, it's with a contrived cut to a "no service" symbol which takes us out of the movie a little bit. They're also boring - watching two characters on mobile phones isn't interesting to look at.
>>
>>70262422
What will happen to cinema when technology has eliminated all inconvenience and tension from daily life?
>>
>>70262561
A return to period movies probably. As technology continues to get more invasive, it'll get harder to write about for the screen.
>>
>>70259917

no, phonebooth scenes are comfy as fuck
>>
>>70264218
>phonebooth scene
character is speaking nervously, experiencing claustrophobia

>cellphone scene
hot wimmyn texting while relaxing in her underwear on a double bed

phonebooth's so comfy lad wew
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.