[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British vs American television in one quote.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: the-office-uk-image.jpg (21 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
the-office-uk-image.jpg
21 KB, 400x300
UK sitcoms tend to be darker than American ones, encouraged by a powerful public broadcasting system whose aim is to serve the varying tastes of taxpayers, not the upbeat preferences of advertisers, and by a national psyche fixated on the immutability of the class system, not on a dream of self-improvement. Americans believe that things will get better. Brits laugh at how things stay the same. To become a hit in the United States, The Office not only had to transform the tragic, grating boss into a less tragic, less grating, more well-meaning boss; it had to cast off the message, central to the British original, that work is where you go to waste your life.
>>
>>70255925
I feel like the first season of the US Office was more subtle and darker (which I assume the original was), but the humor was still pretty American. I would have loved every season if Jim and Pam never got together and the show didn't devolve into a soap opera. I liked the Michael/Jan dynamic though, very dark and realistic

t. pleb who hasn't seen any of the UK version
>>
>>70257459
First season of us office copied uk version heavily
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>70255925
>it had to cast off the message, central to the British original, that work is where you go to waste your life.
Oh, how low the once mighty Empire has fallen...

> encouraged by a powerful public broadcasting system whose aim is to serve the varying tastes of taxpayers, not the upbeat preferences of advertisers
BBC is a political propaganda machine.

PS. Advertisers don't care about how upbeat/downbeat a show is. They only want to sell as many ads as possible, which is usually achieved by producing easygoing entertainment.
>>
its quite obvious that US humour is dumbed down
>>
>>70258600
>implying bongs are any smarter on average
>implying dark humour is difficult to grasp
It boils down to matter of taste.
>>
>>70258635
>triggered yank
laughing
>>
>>70258683
I'm a Finn.
>>
Didn't the UK Office just air for like one season?

When will Britcucks stop being so insecure about us bros?
>>
File: boiledoverhard.jpg (102 KB, 533x398) Image search: [Google]
boiledoverhard.jpg
102 KB, 533x398
>"D-Do you guys remember our version of the Office??"

How pathetic can they be?
>>
>>70258703
Post mammi.
>>
The original > my own country's version > US version
>>
File: mämmi.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
mämmi.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>70258848
>>
>>70255925
>it had to cast off the message

And the concept, entirely.

Lets take a sitcom thats biggest selling point is that it's pretending to be a documentary but in our version we'll name the actors in the titles and one of them will be Steve fucking Carell. Better not change the name though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.