[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me the reason why this movie is so beloved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Can someone explain to me the reason why this movie is so beloved? I just don't get it.
>>
>>70253658
It's well written, has a great cast and is well filmed with great (at the time) special effects.

Also Ecto Cooler.
>>
>>70253658
It's about unemployed men starting their own business. It's the American dream.
>>
>>70253658

yea me neither. i mean it's entertaining, but it's just one of those decent 80s movies to me. not something legendary like back to the future.
>>
>Underage detected

Because it's a film that actually manages to appeal to all audiences without pandering to them, something few movies today manage to do.
>>
>>70253921

>film

Sorry, meant to write comedy.
>>
>>70253726
>It's well written
Is it really? For a comedy, there was much to laugh and what was there wasn't very funny. And I don't see where theirs anything special about the story. It's the same "oh the scientist were right the government is bad" shit we've seen in movies for many years before it was released.

>has a great cast
Well, it has Bill Murray, the other actors didn't bring much to the table and felt sidelined.

>well filmed with great (at the time) special effects
The effects were alright, but I wouldn't say it was particularly well filmed. It's serviceable.
>>
It's shot as a sci-fi horror-adventure but has the script and cast of a deadpan comedy. The ghost lore and technobabble are "believable" thanks to Aykroyd and Ramis's legitimate interest in the paranormal which made the setting very appealing. There was never really anything that combined all that with nice special effects.
>>
>>70253726

'nuff said.
>>
>>70253921

This, I can see why this film wouldn't appeal to millennials with some of its pacing and humour. Big budget comedies weren't like 21 jump street back in the day
>>
>>70253658
Because it was a movie where none of the leads were big, handsome action stars being badasses. These were the nerds. The underdogs.

People love that.

Mix in an original concept. Some great CGI for the time. A likeable and charismatic bunch of leads. A great script. It's a love letter sent to appeal to what it means to be a middle class American, and how when you're down on your luck, you can crawl to your last resort, cash in a third mortgage on your parents house and follow your dream. And the government, the media and skeptical may try and shoot you down, but you try all the same to win the day. Because it's what you do.

If the movie came out 20 years earlier or later it'd flop. But America, and the world needed a movie like this at the time.
>>
Melissa McCarthy is hilarious! Plus it's great to see women who are successful in traditionally male dominated fields, like science, portrayed on the screen. That's why I'm excited about it at least
>>
File: maximum-trolling-8905-400x250.jpg (13 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
maximum-trolling-8905-400x250.jpg
13 KB, 400x250
>>70254117
>>
>>70254117
>Plus it's great to see women who are successful in traditionally male dominated fields, like science
I know this is bait but i'm saying it anyway, the only reason there are less women than men in the sciences is because fewer women go on to study the sciences.
>>
>>70253658
well written and fun.
>>
>>70254031
>CGI
Weren't the effects done with models and matte paintings?
>>
>>70253950
Jesus are you some SJW shilling for the new movie?

Anyway

>Is it really? For a comedy, there was much to laugh and what was there wasn't very funny.

Personally I never saw it as a comedy. More of a action movie with horror/comedy elements. The actors involved to me were more normal actirs in this film. The punchline of ghostbusters, to be frank, was that it showed how the pseudoscience of ghost finding and busting could be taken seriously....if it could be done.

>And I don't see where theirs anything special about the story.

Like I just said. It is speculative science fiction.

>It's the same "oh the scientist were right the government is bad" shit we've seen in movies for many years before it was released.

Yeah and District 9 muxed Alien Nation with The Fly. Ghostbusters worked because it tried a unique idea and took a dlightly serious spin on it.

>>has a great cast
>Well, it has Bill Murray, the other actors didn't bring much to the table and felt sidelined.

Jesus. Way to speak for yourself. My fave character on the movie was Egon. Dan Akroyd is still famous. And goddam, it had SIGOURNEY WEAVER. Arguably as a damsel in distress BUT STILL

>>well filmed with great (at the time) special effects
>The effects were alright, but I wouldn't say it was particularly well filmed. It's serviceable.

This I agree. But even with updated effects, I want to watch people actually bust ghosts, not McCarthy bust out fart & fat jokes and the stereotypical black ghetto mama. Even Wilson brought realism to the original movie
>>
>>70253658

Personally I loved the varied levels of humour, the combination of down to earth and supernatural, the natural performances, the pacing, the soundtrack and 80s NY in its prime.
>>
>>70254447
>Jesus are you some SJW shilling for the new movie?
No. The new movie looks like it'll likely be worse. I just figured I'd watch it to see what all the hubbub is about. I haven't seen it since I was a kid.

>Jesus. Way to speak for yourself. My fave character on the movie was Egon. Dan Akroyd is still famous. And goddam, it had SIGOURNEY WEAVER. Arguably as a damsel in distress BUT STILL
And they felt sidelined to me. Murray had most of the screen-time and focus.
>>
the new ghostbusters movie is like, a parody movie that would exist in the ghost buster universe of the ghost busters. It's that bad.
>>
>>70254410
Shhh don't trigger the millennial with facts
>>
>>70253658

Nostalgia. Show it to anyone who wasn't born between 1970 and 1985 and see how they react.
>>
>>70253726
first post best post
i
r
s
t

p
o
s
t

b
e
s
t

p
o
s
t
>>
>>70253658
It had charisma, It had writing, it wasn't a meme. It wasn't a stale, labratory produced origin story template. It wasn't made by some mythical success formula.

This reboot? It's a bunch of unfunny memes and a spit in the face to the original in many intentional ways. Like Ecto 1 for example. The original 1969 caddy had curves, had charm. Hard personality. what did they do for the new movie? LE CADILLAC MEME. picture related. I feel like they picked a cadillac designed entirely with a protractor on purpose as some kind of cuck meme. They used a hearse to signify the final leg of the voyage on this intellectual property, from the morgue to the graveyard.
>>
>>70254903
It was pretty stale.
>>
>>70254930
you're confusing stale with dry
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.