[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this movie so polarizing? Why do people like or dislike it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: prometheus.jpg (125 KB, 1452x954) Image search: [Google]
prometheus.jpg
125 KB, 1452x954
Why is this movie so polarizing?
Why do people like or dislike it?
>>
File: wink.png (268 KB, 611x355) Image search: [Google]
wink.png
268 KB, 611x355
>implying anyone would dislike this if it's wasn't perceived as a cash grab prequel
the more "hollywood" a movie is, the more people don't give it a chance

unless it's the avengers
>>
Because it didn't know what it wanted to be. A piss poor prequel to a franchise in desperate need of a revitalisation or a convoluted mediocre standalone Sci fi film.
>>
>Written by Damon Lindelof
>>
Anyone who was a big fan of Alien felt betrayed and hugely disappointed in it for royally fucking up the mythology. People who didn't see Alien or who have unbelievably shitty taste in movies liked it.
>>
>>70243714
You are right to call it polarising. I like the movie and genuinely can't understand those that don't.

There are a couple of flaws that shit me though especially Idris "phone it in" Elba. The nigger that wastes screen time.
>>
File: Noomi+Rapace.jpg (74 KB, 392x594) Image search: [Google]
Noomi+Rapace.jpg
74 KB, 392x594
I always think that wig was the worst think that could happen to Noomi Rapace... then I saw this.
>>
it just isn't scary at all. that's a big problem for the alien franchise. The only thrilling scene was them running from the collapsing ship, and even then I was mainly excited because I knew the film was about to end

Covenant could be better if they actually make it a fucking horror movie
>>
>>70243714

It's not polarizing, that would imply that half the people who have watched it love it. They don't.

It's got a good cast, great effects, great score, a couple of great performances all dragged down into shit by some of the shittiest writing ever for a major motion picture and one of the worst, plot-hole filled, stupidest most inane shit of a script ever written.
>>
>>70247486
>It's got a good cast, great effects, great score, a couple of great performances all dragged down into shit by some of the shittiest writing ever for a major motion picture and one of the worst, plot-hole filled, stupidest most inane shit of a script ever written
This
But I still like watching it even if thinking about the plot holes pisses me of
>>
>>70243714
Its simple

V I S U A L M E D I U M

Fuck off with your youtuber idea of reviewing films through plotholes. Prometheus is agreat sci-fi movie.
>>
>>70247486
>It's got a good cast, great effects, great score, a couple of great performances all
So its a good movie?
>>
>>70247862
>Plot holes
I know this is a troll but I seriously hate when people criticize a film just because of plot holes. Prometheus sucks but that's not why
>>
>>70248042
>Prometheus sucks but that's not why
Do tell us oh wise one
>>
>>70248069
It has flat characters with vague and often self contradicting motivations, it attempts to raise its own scale to an unnecessary apocalyptic level, it fails at blending sci-fi and mythology, and it has inconsequential plot points.
>>
>>70247862
>Prometheus is agreat sci-fi movie

No? It has terribly written characters and a wrote WE WUZ ANCIENT ALIENS plot. If the movie wasn't part of the Alien franchise, or have all the money behind people wouldn't give a damn about it. Atmosphere and tension are good things, but an entire movie they do not make. Plot holes aren't even in the top 10 reasons why this movie blew dick
>>
>>70245322
>she became the xenomorph
>>
>>70248069
Not poster, but the weakness in Prometheus is the lack of power armor combatting a gajillion aliens, leapfrogging dayglo xenos, and one liners. Also needs Aliens using Gigeresque penis guns.
>>
>>70243714
I liked it as a standalone scifi, 7/10. Prequels and sequels are usually pretty shit so it helped me to not think of it as one.
>>
>>70248173
>WE WUZ ANCIENT ALIENS plot. If the movie wasn't part of the Alien franchise
It wasn't supposed to be an Alien movie. The studio forced Scott to change it into one. It was an ancient aliens movie
>>
>>70248173
>>70248160
All I listen is plot plot plot plot

and I keep reminding myself that film is a VISUAL MEDIUM
>>
>>70243714
Alien is a movie about someone trapped on a ship with this unknown creature. The fear comes from the sense of confusion. Trying to create backstory for the monster defeats the entire fucking point of Alien.
>>
>>70248252
Do you even speak english?
>>
>>70243793
this
>>
>>70248252
Yes, a visual medium for telling stories. If you think Scott is some kind of purely visual storytelling no dialogue auteur you have brain problems. Visuals don't mean shit unless they have some purpose. Otherwise you may as well just buy the fucking art-book if you want pretty pictures with no substance
>>
Prometheus has the closest feel to first alien movie than any other alien movie
>>
>>70245455
I thought the vagina snake was pretty thrilling/creepy in the facehugger sorta way

Trilobite abortion was exciting too
>>
>>70243714
because the script is full fucking retard. spaiths turned in a script and ridley scott rejected it and made him rewrite it for literally months on end because he read chariots of the gods. then they brought in lindeloff for "star power" which amounted to nothing because as is well documented in the making of feature ridley doddled the entire movie in storyboards until everyone did everyone did what he wanted including the donut ship rolling down hill. then you had numerous cuts for the sake of "pacing."
>>
>>70248368
I hate Prometheus, but I like it more than Aliens, Alien 3, and Alien: Resurrection. Alien Isolation did a much better job of recreating the feeling of Alien. Prometheus had good intention but wasn't scary at all.
>>
File: 1396108606-alien-isolation.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1396108606-alien-isolation.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>that moment when vidya surpasses film
>>
>>70243714
Because a ton of retards who think something not being explained=plot hole saw it instead of just putting the extremely obvious dots together on their own.

>LOL Y DID DAVE PUT DA BLACK GOO IN DA GUYZ DRINK XXXXDDDD?!

Fucking morons I swear.
>>
>>70243714
>>70244802
Because NOTHING fucking happens besides a team of supposedly experts in their field making stupid as fuck decisions and having their supposedly strong space suits torn apart in seconds by LITERALLY EVERYTHING
The movie begins and fucking ends with the same goddamn question except now the engineers wanted to kill humans for some reason
>woman literally gets squid baby aborted from her after using DO NOT TOUCH special machine
>NOBODY FUCKING COMMENTS ON IT, IT IS LITERALLY DROPPED RIGHT THERE
You literally cannot make this shit up
>>
>>70243888
>it didn't follow my fan fiction comics so it is shit
>>
>>70248608
I finished last week, this game was fucking amazing, I can't believe I missed it in 2014
>>
>>70243793
Do you remember seeing a space-ship rolling like a donut and chasing a person fleeing on the same direction instead of turning to the sides? Do you remember seeing the most moronic geologist and biologist being send on a multi-billion space-exploring enterprise? Do you remember a crew suiciding like kamikazes in a split second decision without any kind of conflicting emotions? Do you remember a surgery machine that only works for males? Did we see the same fucking SHIT movie? Holy fuck.
>>
>>70243714
Because plotfags need to die. It's good but plebs think 'Oh, I wouldn't have grabbed the space-snake, therefore 0/10 Ridley are you even trying I am a master of film which real sci-fi like Moon.'
>>
>tfw totally ambivalent towards this movie

It was o-o-okay
>>
>>70244802
>Muh religion
>Muh bad writing
>Muh bad acting
>Muh irrational actions
>Muh no HR anymore
>Muh old Ridley Scott
This is also coming from a young Ridley Scott fan
>>
>>70243714
it was perfect until the part where the Prometheus guy started killing the humans.
Why? Because that was an easy cop-out by whoever wrote that scene.
Instead of having that promethues guy actually talk to explain things, he just starts killing with no explanation at all of anything.
Ruined the whole movie for me.
>>
>>70250380
No, fucktard, I haven't read any of that stuff. It's shit because it's shit.

Look, if you need to do a backstory on the Xenos, which I don't think you do, you better damn well have it make sense and fill in gaps in the mythology, rather than create MORE gaps. Please explain the Xeno lifecycle to me, based on what was presented in Prometheus.

I'll wait.
>>
>>70248608
>12 hours of doing the same fucking shit over and over

Great game, but it needed to be half as long.
>>
>>70245322
She JUSTed herself out of the lead role
>>
>>70251879
What needs explaining? They clearly hate humanity and the intention of the ship and that big guy was probably to destroy us all.

'Prometheus' refers to the one rogue engineer at the start of the movie who breaks his body down to chemicals into the waterfall. He gave his dna to create human life, and the rest of the engineers, like Zeus, don't approve.
>>
>>70243714
I was excited about it, because I thought there would be an expansion on the background of the Xenos. But I didn't get that.

The plot holes, the decision making of the characters or whatever didn't bother me. I feel like this movie didn't know what it was trying to be.

It started out pretty cool, though. So the outlines of a promising plot were there. That's what makes this doubly frustrating.
>>
File: 1_ai_cosplay_amanda.jpg (489 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1_ai_cosplay_amanda.jpg
489 KB, 1920x1200
>>70248608
Why is she so perfect?
>>
>>70245322
bargain bin lady gaga
>>
File: 1339187654_prometheus-350.jpg (52 KB, 350x441) Image search: [Google]
1339187654_prometheus-350.jpg
52 KB, 350x441
This movie sucked, but I enjoyed getting my dick hard to the scenes of Vickers in her skintight suit
>>
Prometheus is what BvS hating retards think that movie is, but for real
>>
As someone who came into it without having seen Alien before, I enjoyed it a lot
>>
>>70243714
The acting was fine, the effects were fine, the overall story was okay--it was the plot that divided people.

Alien is a classic horror film because it featured characters from a science fiction film rather than a horror film. Prometheus has horror film characters. People split up, get lost, and make irrational decisions that can only end in their doom.
>>
>>70243714
The cunt Scott wanted to make a commercial movie
http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-deleted-scenes-interview/
>>
>>70243714
Every scene with Fass it in was amazing. Every secene without Fass sucked.
>>
>>70251879
Why? He sees the humans as so far beneath him that he crushes them like irrelevant ants. That's the point being put across here too bad you missed it.
>>
>>70253884
Me too. I saw it in the theater and liked it a lot. Subsequent viewings tarnished it a bit. I saw Alien for the first time recently and it has held up very well. The special effects are extremely good for the era. Aliens I turned off about half way, and won't bother with any of the other films.
>>
>>70243865
This
>>
>>70251632
>a surgery machine that only works for males
Where was this? I remember the one that successfully removed the "not traditional fetus"
>>
>>70245322
THAT THING IS NOT MY NAOMI!!!
>>
>>70247862
/thread
>>
>>70253884
>>70257507
Same here.

Prometheus was visually stunning and it managed to give a sense of "mistery". I liked how most of the stuff wasn't explained.
>>
>>70243714
Probably because most of the characters behave in a stupid way that doesn't make sense considering their career choice.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.