[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK sitcoms tend to be darker than American ones, encouraged by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
UK sitcoms tend to be darker than American ones, encouraged by a powerful public broadcasting system whose aim is to serve the varying tastes of taxpayers, not the upbeat preferences of advertisers, and by a national psyche fixated on the immutability of the class system, not on a dream of self-improvement. Americans believe that things will get better. Brits laugh at how things stay the same. To become a hit in the United States, The Office not only had to transform the tragic, grating boss into a less tragic, less grating, more well-meaning boss; it had to cast off the message, central to the British original, that work is where you go to waste your life."
Agree?
>>
>>70238263
You're image is irrelevant to the discussion
>>
>>70238263
Yep brits are a bunch of depressed fucks.
>>
>>70238263
No shit. Pretty much the only redeeming moment David Brent has in the entire show is where he finally tells one of the other bullying cunts to fuck off when he insults the girl he has taken out who genuinely likes him.
>>
>>70238263
>that work is where you go to waste your life
But I waste my life when I'm at home as well
>>
>>70238263

Certainly.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a room full of Americans watching a few episodes of Bottom.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dAqLsviGs

Not a sitcom, but a great example.
>>
>>70238774
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd_JNdv8esY

This bunch of college plebs seem triggered if anything in parts and try to dismiss it even though they clearly laugh in a few places. I'm certain plenty of Americans would like Bottom.
>>
>>70239013
>every time something gets posted on reddit, it gets re-posted on /tv/ and people eat it up in droves
>>
UKians are just more pessimistic/cynical than the average American who are famous for their optimism. Any most artists/comedians with tell you, true art/comedy comes from the pain and suffering of the human condition.

Glad to consume the media brits suffered so dearly for while living in a culture that values optimism and happiness. At least we can expect some great content before their culture finally dies.
>>
>>70239975
>At least we can expect some great content before their culture finally dies
Not happening anytime soon. We have a few more decades of torture first.
>>
>>70239975
Typical example of American comedy. Passive aggressive insults and the delusion that they are "winning".
>>
>>70239620

I figured they'd get a kick out of the violence, though I'm not sure what was so hard to grasp about the sound effects played for humour.

The first time I saw the gas man episode I was in tears.

>Glad to consume the media brits suffered so dearly for while living in a culture that values optimism and happiness. At least we can expect some great content before their culture finally dies.

>Glad to consume the media brits suffered so dearly for while living in a culture that values optimism and happiness. At least we can expect some great content before their culture finally dies.

Hey you deserve it, your boys gave us the magical 80s and early 90s cinema. Our 80s was shit by comparison. Shame about what happened in 2001 though mate, I'm sure you'll recover eventually.
>>
>>70240340
>Our 80s was shit by comparison

Fuck off northerner.
>>
>>70240213
Typical Euro retort. Finding offense and backhanded compliments in everything because of a culture of insecurity.

I'm Mexican, tbqhfamilia
>>
>>70240386
hehe
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.