[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wheel of Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: wheel of time.png (699 KB, 815x740) Image search: [Google]
wheel of time.png
699 KB, 815x740
Wheel of time is getting a tv series!

http://www.tor.com/2016/04/28/tv-rights-to-the-wheel-of-time-optioned-by-new-studio-with-jordan-estates-approval/
>>
More like the Wheel of TL;DR!
>>
>>70199328
Obvious good guys beat obvious bad guys.
>>
>oh look it's a series that won't be coming out for a while and we have little info about it

>let me make the same goddamn thread for the 1000th time

no one gives a shit, it will flop and be canceled

go away shill
>>
File: 1446950755950.gif (146 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1446950755950.gif
146 KB, 300x375
>>70199276
The thing that gravitated people towards GoT was the political intrigue, the interesting characters, and the drama. The biggest thing that turned people off was the fantasy aspects, but once normies found out it was only tinged with fantasy, not focused, that's when GoT became popular.

WoT from the get-go is cheesy fantasy as fuck, and boring, run-of-the-mill fantasy at that (monsters from a bad land, ruled by the devil, pew-pew spells, etc).
That, and also the fact that every character has plot armor, are annoying and one dimensional, will spell this series' doom.

at most, it'll last 2 seasons.
>>
oh man, you guys are harsh!
>>
>it's a Semirhage orgasms a person to death episode
>>
File: selucia_and_tuon_by_gala_maia.jpg (9 KB, 144x200) Image search: [Google]
selucia_and_tuon_by_gala_maia.jpg
9 KB, 144x200
>ywn be submitted by Selucia as Tuon watches
>>
>>70199328
kek
>>
>>70199276

Hopefully they tear it apart and rebuild it from the scraps. It's fucking awful.
>>
>>70201775
Nah, it's pretty good.
>>
I wonder how Marilin Gemalphin's cats are doing.
>>
>>70199549
Game of thrones stole its political intrigue from wheel of time. You havent read it but its called Game of houses in the books.
>>
>>70203109
holy shit just looked it up, it's true
>>
>>70199549
But GoT was edgy af. The whole idea of killing characters that have goodness in them has turned into a motif/trend at this point.

WoT, while cheesy, is almost classic fantasy at its purest. It's just a shame Jordan goes on for great lengths about shit you don't need to know. And later in the series main characters are back burnered.

2 seasons? Depends on budget, channel and the viewership. The amount of story to tell though can't su stain itself for 10-14 yrs of show. But it can't end early at season 5 for example.

Reminds me of Dune. That's a book that needs to be 10 hrs worth to tell correctly. Then as a series it needs to be around 8 seasons. That just wouldn't happen.
>>
LATEST NEWS:
http://www.wheeloftime.tv/2016/05/casting-wheel-of-time-throm-merrilin.html

The casting of Thom Merrilin and Moiraine Damodred is in my opinion a key factor in whether the show succeeds. Rand, Mat, Perrin and the girls have time to grow into there roles and develop as the story does. Thom and Moiraine don't have that luxury being the established "Mentor" characters and need to be on song from the get go. That means they need to be talented actors and have gravitas.

Which brings me to Thom.

From the WoT wiki:

>He is fairly old, and has a gnarled face, shaggy white hair, and blue eyes. He is tall, with stooped shoulders. His snowy hair and long mustaches make him appear older than he probably is, given his spryness. He is frequently portrayed as smoking a pipe.

Now a lot of people when casting Throm go on his appearance alone and we end up with the following quite frequently.

Sam Elliott and Jeff bridges may have the acting chops and fit the look, but do they really have the voice to carry off being a Gleeman let alone a Court Bard? Bridges has some musical ability and is the better choice of the two but they both have gravely speaking voices.

When I was thinking of who to cast for Thom I focused on acting ability and voice with appearance coming a distant third. I don't know why but only one name popped into my head: Hugh Laurie.

Appearance wise he fits tall, old and blue eyed. White hair and mustache are an easy fix. More importantly he is a an accomplished voice actor(good for high chant and story telling) and his natural voice is pleasant on the ear. He also undoubtedly has the acting skills to pull off the Court Bard turned Gleeman that is Thom Merrilin. His comedic, musician, singing, acting and voice skills make him the perfect fit for the role for me.
>>
>>70204299
not a bad choice but he is a better fit other places.,,maybe Valan Luca. One of the Forsaken might work too, he can go dark pretty well
>>
File: wot.gif (28 KB, 517x429) Image search: [Google]
wot.gif
28 KB, 517x429
Wot to expect from a WoT series.
>>
>>70199549
>what is stargate
>>
>>70204299
Connery m8
>>
>>70203109
> Game of thrones stole its political intrigue from wheel of time.

Well that's bullshit. GRRM based a lot of the politics on the real life War of The Roses, and Scottish Clan feuds.
>>
>>70199276
wasn't rand king arthur lite edition?
>>
>>70204904
hahahahahahahhahahahahahha
>>
>>70205378
Artur Paendrag was the real King Arthur. He invented America. Rand is also King Arthur. The "Wheel of Time" gimmick explains it. History gets munged. Moiraine and Thom are Gandalf and Merlin, too.
>>
>>70205343
>people actually believe this
Game of Thrones has nothing in common with world history.
>>
File: CtPtinaP.jpg (67 KB, 800x746) Image search: [Google]
CtPtinaP.jpg
67 KB, 800x746
>>
[tugs braid]
>>
File: 1452263774886.jpg (19 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1452263774886.jpg
19 KB, 413x395
>>70204904
>>70206017
>>
Overall, WoT has a good story and has a lot of great stuff to adapt into a series. Hopefully they cut out a ton of stuff from the middle books, though. The first three were phenomenal. Unfortunately, everything from book 4 until Sanderson took over just started to drag and you had hundreds of pages between plot relevant scenes.
>>
>>70206531
>book 4
Book 4 was the best overall book in the series
It kinda plateued after that, going down hill around 7 or 8. Spiking back up for the end of 9, and then 10 was complete shit.
>>
>>70206531
Sanderson ruined the series. The only bad books are 8 and 10.
>>
>>70206607
>Sanderson ruined the series
Sanderson saved the series from slowly withering to death in a corner
>>
>>70206739
>I didn't read Knife of Dreams
>>
>>70205580
>>70205378
rand=tyr, perrin=thor, mat=odin
>>
>>70206946
Rand is clearly Thor. His name is althor.
>>
>>70206588
Yeah, the first 7 books or so are great. They were the ones he basically locked himself away and churned out a book a year. Then he took a break / got ill and they were never the same after that.
>>
>>70206274
[smooths pants]
>>
>>70207630
9 and 11 were great.
>>
>>70207329
simple misdirection
>>
I'm sure it will be garbage and cancelled after a season or two but I can still be hyped as fuck for a show that is literally

>Men get shit done
>Women bitch about men

The series.
>>
>showfags have to wait 7 seasons to find out who killed Asmodean

Top kek.
>>
>there's actually a chance you will live long enough to see a few hundred wizards destroy an army of desert ninjas

Great feeling
>>
>>70208539
Wow Nynaeve and Tuon are based and the world would have ended without them.

I hope we can at least get to the end of the first book before it gets cancelled.

A major problem I think they'll have is that large parts of the books are Rand going insane and only through internal monologue.
>>
I really can't see it succeeding, as much as I love it. The first book, which would probably form the basis for the first season, is really well written but follows a fairly generic path, narrative-wise.
Book 2 is where things really break away from the norm, in my opinion, and when Mat finally gets his shit together god damn does his story become interesting as hell. Perrin's wolf thing is pretty interesting too, if only because his nice-guy thing is better than Rand's I MUST BE IRON, UNBREAKABLE, I MUST BE STRONG, UNYIELDING, I MUST BE CUENDILLAR, BURNING CUNTS WITH BALEFIRE, I AM THE STORM REEEEEEEE
>>
>>70209283
>Battle of Dumai's Wells rendered lovingling in full detail
>Disperse the Shaido. Break them.
>Rolling ring of earth and fire
Yeesss
>>
>>70209498
Children of the light are the real /r9k/

>Fucking darkfriends everywhere REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>70204904
I'd tug on Nynaeve's braid if you know what I meme.
>>
>>70209776
>3rd age
>Not playing maidens kiss

Lel check out this wetlander faggot.
>>
I hope the trollocs don't look fake
>>
>>70209498
Rand's story is only interesting if you take a very long view of it and see it as a descent into madness. It's so hard to tell just how crazy he is because of how close you are to him and you can follow his internal reasoning for things. But if you step back and look at it, he's just fucking insane. Totally batshit crazy.
>>
File: 14267890427.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
14267890427.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>70204904
>the blue eyes
>>
>>70209686
>Asha'man, form a line of battle!
>Asha'man, kill!
I hated Mazrim Taim from the minute he was introduced but just for that one moment I liked him.
>>
>>70209968
Examples of how crazy he is before he goes full on mad?
>>
>>70210067
His madness is very gradual, but it's first noticeable by book 3. At that point it's not caused by the taint, but rather by the constant stress, lack of sound sleep, and being hounded in his dreams by Ishamael. It makes him extremely paranoid, and that paranoia never really goes away until he has his Jesus moment. Not even to mention Lews Therin's voice, or the way he obsesses over women dying (that actually starts in book 1, or at least the seed of it).
>>
I loved this series and read 1-13 in about 2 months but I don't really have any desire to read the last book.
>>
>>70210067
In the Great Hunt, when the inn catches fire and the Horn is stolen, he sits down in the street, puts his head in his hands, and laughs.
He pulls himself together quickly, but there's no doubt he's buying his tickets for the crazy train.
>>
>>70210422
It's bretty gud and also Egwene dies so you have that to look forward to.
>>
>>70208095
Not really, they were just better than 8 & 10.
>>
NIGH-neev
eg-WEEN
cad-SWAIN
KEER-ien
BAIR-lon
CAYM-lin
say-i-DAHR
say-i-DEEN
SHAY-ol GHOOL
Mat
>>
File: FVrM8v9.jpg (369 KB, 985x1000) Image search: [Google]
FVrM8v9.jpg
369 KB, 985x1000
I just hope the trollocs don't look too fake.
>>
>>70212012
At least if they do, it will essentially be a bunch of guys getting slaughtered while wearing fursuits
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.