[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Wheel of Time™
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 22
File: wheel.png (678 KB, 800x726) Image search: [Google]
wheel.png
678 KB, 800x726
Hey, did you /TV/ guys hear that Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time™ is getting adapted into a television series? Whom should be cast? What do you expect? Will it be superior to Game of Thrones?
>>
>>70142063
This must have a budget. If this is on SyFy or MTV or the CW it will suck hard.
>>
Why does this shit get posted every god damn day.
>>
>>70142063
Who's the asshole who plays Jaime on Outlander? That dude should be Rand Al' Thor.
>>
>>70142772
The rumor is AMC
>>
>tfw Semirhage will never come for you in the night
>>
>>70100617

You missed this thread yesterday.
>That's fine. I'd like a WoT discussion thread

Just finished Lord of Chaos.

What music will be playing at Dubai's Wells?

>Asha'man
>KILL
>Yakety sax starts playing
>>
I want to spank Rand
>>
>>70144297
What's the meaning of this?
>>
>>70142063
>Wheel of time
>Not dark tower
Thread hidden
>>
>>70144649
I read the entire Dark Tower series. I can't see it becoming a movie.
>>
>>70144687
well it is becoming a movie
staring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey
>>
Are we gonna have this thread everyday for like 2 years. They're in the early stages of pre-production.
>>
It's going to be terrible.
>>
>>70144917
They released a pilot, dude. It has Billy Zane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQE0-G_GeU

This is really happening.
>>
That pilot was just an attempt to keep the rights.
>>
>>70145041
So there won't be a tv show?
>>
It won't have the normie appeal
>>
>>70145443
>women pulling their hair and talking about how men dont know anything
>women talking about clothes constantly
>>
>>70144297
lol...
>>
>>70142790
>>70144649
>>70144917
>>70145012
Can mods please do something about the redditors who keep invading legitimate /tv/ threads to troll and complain?
>>
>>70142063
Michael Fassbender in a cameo as Lews Therin Telamon or w/e, maybe the general from TFA as Rand, some other niggers and fags as the other shit characters in this shit book
>>
>>70145016
Anti-wheel of time autist BTFO
>>
>>70143581
Gross. They are extreme Jews over there, even if they have cash cow.
>>
>>70144276
Speed metal. Fuck the normies. Speed metal should be the only music used in this series. When Rand and Thom play the harp there should be speed metal overlays.
>>
>>70145296
There is. Just that FX pilot was just means to keep the rights. Sort of like Fantastic Four 2015. It wa meant to keep rights, to keep making money.

Rights has absolved and are back in the wife's hands. Now a true tv show is happening. Where, who knows? Hopefully Starz or HBO. With a showrunner who knows their shit.
>>
So I got all the books and tried to start with Book 0, but it assaults you with namedropping since the very beginning. Am I supposed to start with this one or the first one? If that's the start I guess I'll press on, but it's really obnoxious and hard to follow.
>>
>>70147016
You HAVE to start with From the Two Rivers for it to make sense. Continue on with To the Blight and don't read the prequel until after Crown of Swords.
>>
Too late. After GoT, all the other books like it get adapted, but the same level of interest won't be there.

Might as well try to release a new zombie show while you're at it.
>>
>>70147124
Wheel of time is the Big Brother to Game of Thrones' The Real World. This is just getting started.
>>
>>70144786
IN THE WRONG FUCKING ROLES AAAAAAAAAHG
>>
I don't understand how anyone could call the Wheel of Time bad and then say The Dark Tower is good.
>>
I just remember hearing about this series of books about 10 years ago from some guy I worked with at Domino's. He was a grown ass man with an Animorphs tattoo. So I'm a little reluctant to think this series is worth my time...
>>
>>70148016
Kek
>>
>>70144068
>Semirhage
>white
>>
>he won't play Lan

Why even bother?
>>
>>70148276
He is a much better fit for a Forsaken
>>
>>70144068
You know she's black right anon?
>>
File: selucia_and_tuon_by_gala_maia.jpg (9 KB, 144x200) Image search: [Google]
selucia_and_tuon_by_gala_maia.jpg
9 KB, 144x200
>Tuon and Selucia will never rough you up
>>
>>70144276
you asshole, I spat out my drink imagining yakety sax dumai's wells.

>>70145016
This pilot is unrelated (thankfully) to whatever show is currently being developed. This pilot was created and aired in a bumfuck timeslot so the right's holder could keep the rights to the WoT tv show. They've since surrendered or settled them with whoever is now making the show.
>>
>>70143581

Then wait for it to be shit.

They've been starving their Cash cow "The Walking Dead" since season 2. An epic fantasy like this needs a GoT level budget with the word building. Get ready to see some shitty production.
>>
File: wheel of cucks.png (469 KB, 1078x3280) Image search: [Google]
wheel of cucks.png
469 KB, 1078x3280
DUDE DRAGON REBORN SO BADASS WOW THREE WIVES LMAO
>>
File: mari.jpg (19 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
mari.jpg
19 KB, 600x384
>>70148408
>tuon
>white

???

tuon is black m8
>>
>>70148342
Right. He'd make a great Demandred.

Unfortunately, after what's happening with GoT, I'm afraid of what adapting WoT for normies is going to do. Dumai's wells is probably going to have egwene sending in rebels to save Rand now, instead of those sexist ashaman.
>>
>>70148408
>>70144068
Bait
>>
File: 1464306970128.jpg (21 KB, 587x527) Image search: [Google]
1464306970128.jpg
21 KB, 587x527
too bad the series is unfilmable
Its way too long with too much filler
half the magic stuff is just two people staring at each other instensly, the other half is shit like dumais wells where you have thousands of people being blown up at a time
Also it will also probably cause a shitstorm with how it insists on two genders and the two "trans" people in the books are both super evil villains
>>
>>70148434
>GoT level budget

More then that, Wheel of time has people fighting monsters and using magic constantly.
>>
>>70144917
They just use the potential-show as an excuse to talk about this shitty series because they can't do so on /lit/ which doesn't accommodate such plebian attempts at fiction.
>>
>>70146551
>Wheel of time mixed with metal

Anon, I have a treat for you

https://youtu.be/jv0L4L3EIFY
>>
>>70148543
that trans stuff would really trigger people
The devil resurrects a man and puts him in a womans body in order to undermine the plans of jesus
>>
>>70148572
TV is a shit board anyway so why are you complaining?
>>
>>70148543
Someone suggested an anime adaptation.

I think that medium would be best
>>
>>70148572
The Wheel of Time TV series was just announced this month. Why are you constantly trying to tamp down excitement? Are you new to /tv/? We discussed game of thrones as soon as it was announced. What the fuck is wrong with you? If you don't like the thread why don't you just fuck off?
>>
>>70148541
>implying we'll get to LoC

Series won't get passed EotW unfortunately. It's too similar to LotR (basically the only way to get published back in the day), and even if it does, tGH is basically EotW but in reverse for 80% of the book. Normies will dismiss it before it has a chance to really show its meat, assuming it even gets picked up by a decent producer
>>
>>70142063
You used 'whom' incorrectly
>>
the only way this show will be good is if they skip the entirety of the crossroads of twilight plot, remove the faile kidnap plot and cancel the tv show before they get to the stuff written mostly by brian sanderson
>>
>>70148733
>Normies will dismiss it before it has a chance to really show its meat

The quality of the books slopes down over time, if people don't like EotW why would they like anything after it?
>>
>>70148715
Because it's the worst fantasy series in existence, the character, writing and worldbuilding are as terrible as it gets, its fans are all braindead retarded manchildren, and it just doesn't deserve all that attention. It deserves to be wiped from all living memory.
>>
>>70148733
EotW is a straight knock off of Fellowship of the Ring, Robert Jordan even said it was intended to be one. They should should really start with LoC or TSR.

Honestly, they should just do TSR its the best overall book anyway.
>>
>>70148795
WoT has its flaws, but worldbuilding is really one of them.
>>
>>70148801
It is for about 100 pages, but given the conceit of the series (legend fading to myth, repetitively) and the use of every legend and myth available, and the divergence of the series after the first 100 pages, it's acceptable unless you're just a moron who can't grok.
>>
>>70148823
*worldbuilding isnt one of them
>>
>>70148783
>The quality of the books slopes down over time
False.
>>
>>70148783
please, the books get consistently better until tSR, at which point it stays peaked until about book 8, after which there's a steady decline until it h its book 10 which is shit. Book 11 was good reversal and an overall strong book.
>>
>>70148869
See, now you're just proving how plebian fans of Wheel of Cucks are.

The worldbuilding is as cliche as it gets and designed to look cool for easily impressed 12 year olds who use words like "epic" and "badass" unironically.
>>
>>70148951
Book 9 is great.
>>
>>70148543
The magic stuff is easily doable with special effects/cgi. Just show the two people standing near each other, while cosmic strings fight above them. That's how I imagined it all the time: blue for water, lighter blue for air, brown for earth, yellow for spirit and red for fire. When the strings have real world effects blend the real world image with the image of the strings.
>>
>>70149021
PARTS of book 9 are great...particularly the ending
>>
>>70148762
>hating based sanderson

Why? He gave the book a fitting end. My only real complaint is that he made all the jokes about mat too obvious.
>>
>>70149098
He didn't read the notes.
>>
>>70149098
He didn't write the ending
>>
>>70149073
The ending of book 9 was so great, RJ wrote an entire book congratulating himself for it. And that's why book 10 is shit.
>>
>>70148762
>>70149098
>He raised his hand, and they started to die.
Sanderson had a hand into 2 of the best scenes in the whole series.
One in Gather Storm, and one in Towers of Midnight
>>
>>70149073
>>70149140
Besides the cleansing of saidin, the rest of book 9 was great.

The fact that it's sandwiched between two shit books doesn't make it bad.
>>
>>70149171
Brandon Sanderson is a sheltered Mormon moron who can't write battle scenes, has to insert his egotism and Mormonism into everything, and didn't read the notes. Fuck him and fuck anyone who likes his shitty fanfiction WoT entries. He sucks.
>>
>>70149098
sanderson isn't terrible writer overall but he did not fit writing WoT, his style was too different and some of his original ideas really really really missed the mark.

he turned demandred into a sympathetic anti-hero for fucks sake. demandred may have started like that but he certainly didn't end that way.
>>
>>70149207
What was in the notes that didn't make it into the books?

What mormonism did make it into the books?
>>
File: mickey-mouse-pics-14.jpg (83 KB, 850x879) Image search: [Google]
mickey-mouse-pics-14.jpg
83 KB, 850x879
Guys I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I should be excited for this. But every time I see OP's picture all I can think about is Mickey Mouse. Is it just me?
>>
>>70149207
Rand channeling the True Power
Sanderson didnt have anything to do with that, that was all Robert Jordan
>>
>>70149250
How did he turn demanded into an anti hero?
>>
File: 1367721025469.png (775 KB, 1011x1362) Image search: [Google]
1367721025469.png
775 KB, 1011x1362
the Science-Fiction genre as a whole is utter shit
>>
>>70149207
>who can't write battle scenes
god this. the whole last battle felt really flat, and I'm convinced its all Sanderson's fault. It feels like RJ wanted to have a massive WoT version of the Battle of the Nations/Leipzig. But RJ is both a lover of military history and a military vet, and Sanderson just didn't have the knowledge to pull it off
>>
>>70149254
>What was in the notes that didn't make it into the books?
We're still finding out, because the factcheckers of Team Jordan didn't read the notes either. Fans who went to the College of Charleston library have discovered new things in the notes since AMoL was released.

Brandon Sanderson chose to write based on "emotional content" then have Team Jordan compare his writing against the facts, facts which they got from fan wikis and not the notes which Sanderson gave up on reading after two months because it was too much work.

Fuck Brandon Sanderson
>>
>>70149303
the entire backstory of what demandred was doing the entire series and how got the sharans on his side and how he got that sa'angreal

it was literally WoT but with demandred has the hero
>>
>>70149335
is there dump or analysis of the notes anywhere online?
>>
>>70149335
So what has been found out so far that didn't make it into the books?
>>
>>70149370
I dunno, Damandred becoming the not-dragon of another people sort of fits his LTT0.9 model where he always fell a little bit short of LTT. Him turning out to be a master swordsmen and animeing his way up the list of champion swordsmen was pretty shit though, especially after his PoV in WH indicated he was a commander not a fighter.
>>
>>70149474
yea the swordsman thing was a bit much...but he did have LTT penis envy pretty hard, so it makes sense that he did the whole false-dragon thing
>>
File: RJ_letter2002-e1371820342105.jpg (74 KB, 607x789) Image search: [Google]
RJ_letter2002-e1371820342105.jpg
74 KB, 607x789
>>70149459
>>70149412
http://blogs.cofc.edu/thetruesource/2013/06/21/i-enjoyed-a-game-of-thrones-very-much/

also, pic related is why we have GoT fags
>>
>>70149474
Yeah, that part where Sanderson had to have not one, but two people job themselves on demandred's sword was kind of lame.
>>
>>70149474
the fact that he turned himself into a not-dragon is fine it's the tone that was completely off.

demandred was a fallen hero in the war of power. the way sanderson wrote demandred in that backstory was like he forgot he gave himself to the shadow.
>>
>>70149474
He was hundreds of years old, it wouldn't of taken long to learn. But I did hate that part
>>
>>70149606
keep in mind that by that point, the shadow gave no fucks about any forsaken except Moridin
>>
>>70149649
He's the reason the shadow lost too.
>>
>>70149649
that's not what i'm talking about.

a backstory that took place during the WoP could definitely have demandred written sympathetically. trying to write him like that during the main series just fucks the tone of the forsaken through the entire book. they spent 3000 years or whatever locked in between space time with the DO. they are fully committed to their darker natures. writing demnadred like that just came off as cheap way to try and do an original or deeper look at a forsaken. there's a way to do that but sanderson failed imo.
>>
>>70149459
Mazrim Taim was Demandred through book 6
>>
>>70149759
give it like 10k years and some retard will open the bore again though
>>
>>70149459
Taimandred killed Asmodean
>>
>>70149459
http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8767
>>
>>70149861
>>70149890
Yeah, and robert jordan changed that, not sanderson. I've read the notes too.
>>
>>70150007
Sanderson and the fact checkers were all completely unaware because they didn't read the notes.

It's not defensible. Guy Kay and Chris Tolkien read the notes before writing The Silmarillion. Even the notes about things which were changed. They cared about context.
>>
>>70150066
the quotes I've seen from harriet and sanderson seem to indicate that they did know, but were unwilling to go against RJ's word and state that taim was originally demandred
>>
>>70150124
You haven't seen any quotes and you're a terrible person for trolling in a serious thread.
>>
I WANT TO PULL NYNAEVE'S BRAID
>>
>>70150143
if you can pull your head out of your ass and stomaching checking reddit for 1 second
https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/2ae09y/mystery_of_mazrim_taim_spoilers_all/

if not, I'll spoon feed you

>I can say this--I feel, personally, that RJ changed his mind over the course of the books about what to do with Taim. I'm not sure why he changed, or what the intentions were originally. I do know that RJ was what we call a "Discovery Writer" which means he liked to explore his story as he wrote, hitting specific touchstones but otherwise letting himself come up with answers as questions appeared, rather than planning out most details many books in advance.

>By the time he was leaving me notes, he was very firm on Taim's place, and who he was to be. One of the very first scenes talked about in the notes was a scene where Taim was inducted as one of the Chosen. The notes were explicit on who he was to be, and this is one of the areas that Maria asked RJ about in detail before he passed away.

And for emphasis
>I can say this--I feel, personally, that RJ changed his mind over the course of the books about what to do with Taim
>>
Jordan change those things, Why hate Sanderson for them?
>>
>>70150210
RJ obviously changed his mind. That wasn't the point. Please review the posts ITT.
>>
>>70147016
You fucked up. Read in order of publication. So start with 1/Eye of the World and move on down the number line until around book 9 or 10. Read the prequel then.
>>
>>70150066
Wait, you're saying that sanderson is at fault because he didn't bother accounting for out of date and not accurate notes from a previous draft of the timeline? RJ himself changed who killed asmodean, and RJ himself changed who taim was. What you're doing here is bullshit: You're blaming Sanderson for changing the author's vision of the series, when in fact he was staying faithful to the most recent vision for the series by that author.

Put up a real example, not this hypocritical stuff.
>>
>>70150246
the argument was that the fact checkers weren't aware and didn't read the notes.

the quote heavily implies that Sanderson did read the notes, at least as far as Demandred was concerned
>>
Can this show even be done properly? There's 14 books that a average on about 750 pages. Sounds like chunks of material will be lost. And I don't see a show like this lasting for 10-14 years.
>>
>>70150221
>>70150261
Why did Sanderson admittedly give up on reading the notes after two months and start writing based on "emotional content" without any consideration for how the story was developed?

He's really no Guy Kay.
>>
>>70150246
someone asked you what didn't make it into the books that sanderson wrote, that was in the notes. You provided an example of notes that were outdated and changed by the actual author of the original version of the series. Please review the posts ITT.
>>
>>70150281
The fact checkers weren't aware and didn't read the notes. Sanderson gave up on reading the notes after two months of trying. He didn't know about Taimandred until a fan unearthed it.

All fact.

The only counterargument is that RJ changed his mind so it didn't ultimately matter. Sanderson didn't know it didn't matter until a fan read those notes, though. What a piece of shit!
>>
>>70150328
>The fact checkers weren't aware and didn't read the notes. Sanderson gave up on reading the notes after two months of trying. He didn't know about Taimandred until a fan unearthed it.
>All fact.
give us some quotes then
>>
>>70150309
Sanderson had to be informed of that change by a fan who read the notes he didn't read.

Why defend this guy on this? He admitted to giving up on reading the notes after two months of trying. Brandon Sanderson did not read Robert Jordan's notes.
>>
File: rD6isFc.jpg (106 KB, 1191x1600) Image search: [Google]
rD6isFc.jpg
106 KB, 1191x1600
TUON IS NOT BLACK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MATT IS MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER AND HE WOULD NEVER FUCK A NIGGRESS

TUON IS WHITE RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Sanderson say Harriet went through the notes and told him what needed to be changed because he couldn't do it by him self.
>>
Is wheel of time worth a read?

If not can you recommend a fantasy series comparable to the quality of Asoiaf?

>Inb4 pleb tier reading fantasy
>>
>>70150328
>Taimandred
Was Mazrim Taim Damodred in the books or was this part of Jordan's notes that Sanderson didn't include?
>>
>>70150283
It gets easier when you realize that half of those pages are just filler and descriptions of clothes.
>>
>>70147016
I made the same mistake you did. Despite it being labeled Book 0, don't read it until much later.
>>
File: 1454668896885.png (147 KB, 234x224) Image search: [Google]
1454668896885.png
147 KB, 234x224
>>70150471
>quality of Asoiaf
>>
>>70150478
Mazrim Taim he was suppose to be Damodred but Jordan changed it.
>>
>>70150471
Don't waste your time on it.

The Farseer is the best fantasy series.
>>
>>70150471
>If not can you recommend a fantasy series comparable to the quality of Asoiaf?
>Inb4 pleb tier reading fantasy

thats like saying i like to eat shit is a cheese pizza any good? ofcourse its going to be better than the shit

read the magician by raymond e feist
>>
>>70150523
Ah I see, thought I was nuts not remembering that happening.
>>
>>70150374
Why is it bad that sanderson didn't read old, archived versions of notes that were no longer applicable to the books he was writing?

I'm defending him because outside of a few silly things (anime tier fight plots for demandred), the books he wrote felt like a natural continuation of the series, and so far you haven't posted a single legitimate example of something that was supposed to be in the books that wasn't. All you've managed is posting something irrelevant to the most recent vision of RJ for the series, something that he flatly denied til his death, and was apparently adamant in the more accurate/current notes wasn't going to happen. Blaming Sanderson for taimandred not being true is like blaming muslims for 9/11 when we all know it was ordered by the Bush administration.

Post up or shut up, basically.
>>
>>70150478
Taimdred was mention in RJ's outdated notes. It appears that Taimdred was the intention up until LoC release, at which point he had changed his mind. Later notes make it pretty clear that Mazrim Taim and Demandred were different people. By the time Sanderson was writing the last 3 books, Taimdred was well and truly no longer a thing
>>
>>70150532
>The Farseer is the best fantasy series.

lol such a grim dark life pffft farseer was terrible
>>
>>70150584
Also remember there are 3 million words of notes
>>
>>70150584
in what universe are the sanderson mat scenes a "continuation of the series"

it feels like you are reading a completely different book
>>
>>70148505

Someone has too much time on their hands. Read the first paragraph and realized it was a shitty, shallow analysis by someone who hasn't even read the books.
>>
>>70150621
Thanks senpai
>>
>>70150283
It's filler: the series. But I don't think it can be done anyway.
>>
>>70150584
It's bad because getting into the spirit of the writing, any context would help to assess the author's mindset. Also, he didn't only not read irrelevant notes, he gave up on everything after two months and wrote based on emotional content then left it to fact-checkers to sort out his mistakes. The fact-checkers also were not familiar with all of the notes.

Who knows what they missed? It's hard to tell since none of the people in charge read the notes in full.

All of the notes aren't even available yet. There are still some which haven't been extracted from RJ's computer.

Sanderson is a piece of shit who spent more time on Twitter and playing Magic than he did researching the series he FUCKED UP. Fuck him.
>>
>>70150702
Where did sanderson touch you?

Though aside from the mat scenes, or the demandred scenes, what was bad?

>>70150682
Those are my other problem with his work. But even still mat had some great moments in sanderson's work.
>>
>>70150622
literally kill yourself my friend
>>
>>70150702
There are 3 million words of notes and most weren't written by jordan
>>
>>70150471
Read the first WoT book, it's fucking great. Maybe even the first threee and see what you think of it. It steadily declines into 90% bullshit on minor characters and 10% on the main characters for the next 8 fucking books.

>>70150576
Seconding Magician.

Also, Malazan Book of the Fallen
>>
>>70150764
it was absolutely woeful ohhh life is so hard as an assasin blah blah

couldn't even make through the first book it was so shit and he took forever for anything to happen
>>
>>70150780
>Seconding Magician.
>Also, Malazan Book of the Fallen
These were both written based on roleplaying campaigns. You have terrible taste. That's probably why you can't appreciate book 9.
>>
>>70150778
>most weren't written by jordan

who was writing them then?
>>
>>70150780
>recommends malazan book of the fallen
>complains about below
>It steadily declines into 90% bullshit on minor characters and 10% on the main characters for the next 8 fucking books.

lol

book of the fallen is cool due to the magic and grand strokes but most of it is garbage until the last 100 pages or so. this holds true for EVERY single book without fail.
>>
>>70150834
why don't you fuck robin hobbs crusty old vag some more fagget

even if they were based on roleplaying campaigns that doesn't make them bad books
>>
>>70150834
>>70150859
I knew it would trigger plebs.
>>
>>70150471
yes, it's worth reading. Go do it. Make sure you give it until book 2 though

also, the fuck is with captcha today

>>70150834
>>70150780
best reason to read Magician is so you can read the empire trilogy
>>
>>70150762
Sanderson's insertion of modern language and idiom (e.g. "homicide," "surgeon," "saidared") in a series which previously had a timeless quality is unforgivable.

Fanservice bits like the explicit ranking of the great swordsmen, the Mat and Rand one-up sequence, Rand hurtling into the fourth wall pointing out that Roedran wasn't Demandred, etc. were just cringe-inducing.

The fact that he admitted to giving up on actually reading Robert Jordan's notes after two months of trying, choosing instead to write based on "emotional content" and having a team of fact-checkers (who themselves admitted to using fandom wikis for answers most of the time) sort it out is galling.

As a sheltered Mormon, Sanderson didn't have any clue how to write battle scenes or interesting characters. The only thing he's good at, coincidence I'm sure, is crazy magic systems. Which he inappropriately put on display with Androl, the character he insisted on being able to develop his own way.

In hindsight, it would have been better to just publish the notes for the fans History of Middle-earth style. His lazy fanfiction, with its 120 pages of Trollocs eating corpses scenes, wasn't a fitting end to this series, even with its myriad flaws. I remember thinking to myself, "This shitfest is the final Wheel of Time novel?"

Brandon Sanderson should be ashamed of himself. Robert Jordan's timeless dialogue being replaced with 2013 college kid banter is a crime against literature. "Saidared"? "Homicide"? "Military operation"? "Master surgeon"? In the Wheel of Time universe? Really? Shouldn't writers care about words?

The worst part is he's a cult member and as such will never accept any criticism as he's built up such huge mental defenses against any sort of logic being thrown his way. Fuck you, Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>70150911
>empire trilogy
Holy fuck yes
>>
Are fantasy writers incapable of writing a good story about a handful of characters instead of going off into some masturbatory worldbuilding?
>>
>>70150925
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=surgeon
>1300
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=homicide
>early 13c
I don't remember seeing the term "saidared" in his work.

I'm going to do myself a favor here and pull a sanderson: I'm not going to read the rest of your post, because going from the first part of it, you're full of shit, nitpicking details while also being factually wrong.
>>
>>70150902
m8 i read every single one of the malazan books all the way through and over half of them twice.

the series is not that good taken as whole. it's not as bad as say, the sword of truth but it's not the "best fantasy every written" or something.

>>70150992
read the black company series
>>
>>70150992
>hurr durr don't write about the setting guys thats not important at all

kill yourself
>>
>>70151025
>I don't remember seeing the term "saidared" in his work
Nice one.
>>
>>70151025
fuck off brandon
>>
>>70150992
Try Zelazny.
>>
File: COTCover.jpg (318 KB, 937x1424) Image search: [Google]
COTCover.jpg
318 KB, 937x1424
About 450 pages through this steaming pile of shit on my first read through.
Are 11-14 as good as 1-6 were?
>>
>>70151027
>best fantasy every written
never said it was, I loved it in the tho so I recommended it. It took me a few attempts to get into. At first I didn't like the anthology style, different characters for difficult books but eventually got over it and began to love the world and enjoyed exploring it.
>>
>>70151171
fair enough
>>
>>70151164
11 is great then it gets worse than ever
>>
>>70151164
>Are 11-14 as good as 1-6 were?
lol no. CoT was fucking abysmmal until the last 10 pages or so
>>
>>70151164
Yes. 11, RJ had a true return to form, and sanderson did well with 12-14, with only a few pitfalls (for example, Mat is a joke monkey).

You can safely skip 10, nothing actually happens in it.
>>
>>70151164
11 is.

12-14 depends on your opinion of Sanderson, although there are chapters clearly written by RJ that are some of the best in the series
>>
>>70151164
KoD, TGS, and ToM are good but the books slowly become more Sanderson as you get closer to AMoL (most people don't like this but ymmv)

AMoL is like WH, some parts are great and others are just "why sanderson, sanderson?"
>>
>>70151211
Another blind Sanderson hater

He objectively saved the series
>>
>>70151211
Well shit. I still love this series to death though, it's been a hell of a journey so far. I look forward to KoD, then.
I read and somewhat enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, but the prose was definitely a little simplistic. It borderline felt like a young adult novel at times.
Do Sanderson's WoT books read the same way? Does he still manage to tell a good story well using shitty language, or is it all just garbage?
>>
all these cucks saying that the word dark means black

IT DOESN'T MEAN BLACK YOU STUPID SJW FAGS WANTING INSERT NIGGERS INTO EVERYTHING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>70151302
I wouldn't go that far. 11 proved that if jordan could fix the problems on his own, but then his health got in the way. But yeah, sanderson was good.
>>
>>70151317
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>70151234
That's what I've heard, but I'm already over halfway through, so I think I'm just gonna plow through it.
>>
>>70142772
Except its CW tier fantasy so
>>
>>70151317
some sea folk, many seanchan, sharans, semirhage, tuon and rahvin are black m8 deal with it

also rahvin pounded morgase's blond white pussy with his BBC for over a year and even after the compulsion was removed she still craved it lmao
>>
>>70151316
His language is a little better, but it's no RJ. Still, he does a good job, and the little annoying quirks of Sanderson here and there aren't enough to derail an otherwise excellent ending.

And hey, at least we got one, and in book form too. ASOIAF is getting wrecked by a tv show
>>
>>70151388
>rahvin are black m8 deal with it

Rahvin is never described as black, just dark, which is usually a very different thing.
I think it might have raised an eyebrow or two if he had waltzed into aemlyn, claiming to be fron Andor, while sporting a colour of skin only those who had met the Sea fold would have ever seen before...

nice meme fagget
>>
File: 1456000448055.jpg (447 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
1456000448055.jpg
447 KB, 2448x2448
tfw an aes sedai will never tie you up in threads of air and sexually abuse you
>>
>>70151394
Very true, that's all you can really ask for when an author's health takes a turn for the worst. I definitely look forward to reaching the end. Wonder who they'll get to finish GRRM's work when he goes...
>>
>>70151388
>some sea folk

'no' they were latin looking i cant wait for the topless seafolk episodes
>>
>>70151437
blacks originally settled andor you fucking shitlord
>>
>>70151484
Smart money is on neil gaiman.
>>
>>70150484
>>70150697
So it may be filler. Jordan does boast on and on about shit that doesn't need to be discussed upon. But that still means there's lots and lots of pages with shit happening. I don't see this show making it to 7 seasons.
It's like Dune. It needs to be a tv show. But even with that it wouldn't be able to last the 6-8 years needed to tell the main series.
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man12.png (149 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man12.png
149 KB, 500x500
>>70151448
Why live
>>
>>70151486
>>70151437
They're black

They never said he was from andor or acted like he was
>>
>>70151486
sea folk are either black or dark indian looking

they aren't fucking latins
>>
>>70151510
Shit, I wouldn't mind that at all.
>>
File: typical seafolk.png (261 KB, 636x264) Image search: [Google]
typical seafolk.png
261 KB, 636x264
>>70151509
>shit that never happened in the book
>>
>>70151529
rahvin claimed to be an andoran noble from the mountains of mist area, i was just joking about him. ofc he could have used compulsion to make everyone believe him.

all the others are actually black or have otherwise similar skin tones.
>>
>>70151394
>And hey, at least we got one, and in book form too. ASOIAF is getting wrecked by a tv show

Fucking D&D. And the normies still eat this shit up. Fucking Hold the Door.

>>70151510
Gaiman could be interesting.
>>
a tv show will only damage TWOT's reputation.

They're gonna dial back the "magic" and shit to match GoT for the normies
>>
>>70151510

Gaiman is a great writer, but he's a bit too twee. I can't see him being as coldhearted with his characters.

Not to mention he'd never take the job.
>>
>>70151571
>>70151571
stop reading wot wiki to determine what they look like

they were all chesty latin women frolicking half naked around the boats shaking their big titties

rhavin was either spanish or greek looking not straight scandinavian looking and yes he did say he came from andor

sorry your little sjw theory you applied after seeing some tumblerinas fan blog told you how everyone looked
>>
They never said Rand was white
>>
>>70151733
The sea folk are described as black you fag
>>
>>70151733
the sea folk aren't latins my friend, i was memeing about rahvin

jordan uses the same fucking adjectives he uses for tuon and semirhage to describe the sea folk skin tone
>>
>>70151733
>they were all chesty Latin women frolicking half naked around the boats shaking their big titties
Fucking kek
>>
>>70151781
>>70151782
what that they are dark?

he called rahvin dark
he called the sea folk dark
and he called tuon dark

but you agree rhavin is just greek or spanish looking

then you have to agree that tuon isn't black and neither are the sea folk

you cant have it both ways friend
>>
>>70151865
lol
>>
When do the books get good?
I've tried picking it up multiple times but I struggle to get through the first chapter.
It's like R.L. Stine tier writing or worse.
>>
>>70151302

Fantasy fiction has hipsters too. Brandon Sanderson gets shit because he's popular.

Everyone was creaming their jockies over Elantris when it came out, he was the "next big thing" then he got popular and everyone who liked him skittered back under their less-accessible fandom rocks to preserve their cred.

BUT MUH BLACK COMPANY AND MALAZAN, SANDERSON IS FOR CASUALS
>>
>>70151903
never
>>
>>70151892
jordan is literally rolling in his grave right now at the thought of blacks being cast in the series

i swear to god i'm going to produce the series myself and no blacks will be in it for purities sake
>>
>>70151966
He never said Rand was white
>>
Idris Elba would make a good Rand desu
>>
I AM ROBERT JORDAN ALIVE IN THE FLESH

THE SEACHAN ARE JUST TANNED SPANISH LOOKING PEOPLE

RHAVIN IS GREEK LOOKING

TUON IS PALE WHITE BUT HAS DARK BLACK EYE BROWS

NOW I MUST RETURN TO MY GRAVE
>>
>>70152079
seems on the level
>>
>>70152079
>Implying James Oliver Rigney Jr. would use his pen name if he came back from the dead to post on a Cambodian knitting forum
>>
>>70145521
>*skirt smoothing intensifies*
>>
I read the first 3 and was always interested in the world and the ending, should I just read a memory of light or should I maybe start earlier. I don't care about anyone who cant do magic in this series btw.
>>
File: 1426023707852.jpg (44 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1426023707852.jpg
44 KB, 375x375
>>70149140

I always thought 10 was underwhelming as fuck even for what it tried to be

I was expecting my nigga Rand to get major props all around for basically subverting the millennia-year-old status quo in 24 hours, but nobody gives a shit
>>
I haven't read this, but isn't straight up good vs evil, black vs white fantasy? It's not popular today, people prefer edgy shit. Plus if they are fighting monsters all the time, it will look awful since TV budget.

There's so many rumors about fantasy tv adaptions now, like King Killer Chronicles is rumored to get one
>>
>>70152225
4-6 are the series peak

>I don't care about anyone who cant do magic in this series btw
lol
>>
Read up to book 6
For the rest skip any chapter with a women pov unless mat is involved or its min.
>>
>>70152225
Well, if you're not in a hurry, just start over and read the whole series. Books 7-9 all have shitty pacing, but each has a phenomenal ending and decent moments in otherwise dull story arcs that make up for it, though if you're not a fast reader, they'll still be a pain to get through. 10 is shit, then after that it gets better and you're in the home stretch. 12-14 are really just parts 1, 2, and 3 of MoL.
>>
>>70152534
ok i might start at 12, dont want to read 87 fucking fantasy books, just want to see voldemort get released from mount doom nigga
>>
what the fucking christ, part 1 of 5 memory of light audiobook is 8 hours long, is this really necessary
>>
>>70152616
>audiobooks

for what purpose other than long drives alone where you want to fall asleep and crash
>>
>>70152616
no its possible
>>
>>70152571
>just want to see voldemort get released from mount doom nigga

It's the journey, not the destination nigga.
>>
>>70152656
i have a classic ipod with only books on it for when im in the mood. ive got moby dick, all of tolkien, all of cleric quintet, all of darksword, spider queen, dark tower, the ipod is 160 gigs, almost empty, but im gonna need to buy 4 more to hold this series
>>
>>70152571
You could, it'd certainly be better than jumping to 14. You'd miss a lot of exciting moments though, and you should at least read some wiki plot summaries or something so you're not totally lost going in.
>>
>>70152753
Sounds comfy as fuck desu
>>
File: 1450268395773.jpg (157 KB, 464x689) Image search: [Google]
1450268395773.jpg
157 KB, 464x689
>>70142063
Anybody have any good WoT memes? All I got is this one
>>
File: WHAT IS CHAOS.jpg (93 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
WHAT IS CHAOS.jpg
93 KB, 1920x1080
>>70152868
Change it to Littlefinger
>>
>>70148543
the filler would rightfully and understandably be skipped over in the show. just literally focus on the main characters from the starting town and that's it. rand, matt, perin, egwene, and nynaeve. everyone else is superfluous and do not need to be expanded on unless it serves the main plot or affects the main cast in some way.
>>
File: image.jpg (335 KB, 2174x1447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
335 KB, 2174x1447
I dk anything about this series, but if they are british cast, I hope they cast my My Precious Daisyfu
>>
>>70148972
you must be drowning in pussy. tell me your secret.
>>
File: 1464208849429.png (558 KB, 680x835) Image search: [Google]
1464208849429.png
558 KB, 680x835
>>70153098
Sorry friendo, I'm on mobile so that's not gonna happen
>>
>>70153233
Nice Trolloc choice bruv.
>>
>>70153233
she could play Min since she looks like a boy
>>
>>70153730
mins meant to be cute though
>>
anybody else in love with moraine and want to be bonded as her warder?
>>
>>70154067
she isnt green, she doesnt fuck her warder
>>
File: 1462350038297.png (85 KB, 640x540) Image search: [Google]
1462350038297.png
85 KB, 640x540
>>70154134
lol its not about sex
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10338073
>>
>>70154420
fuck off you turbo autist
>>
>It's a Caemlyn falls to the shadow because Mat didn't read a letter for 6 books episode.

Woolheaded sheep herder.
Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.