[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy fucking shit....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: The_Road_bleak_scenery.jpg (126 KB, 448x300) Image search: [Google]
The_Road_bleak_scenery.jpg
126 KB, 448x300
Holy fucking shit....
>>
Yeah, I thought it was garbage too.
>>
File: Hipster Douchebag.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
Hipster Douchebag.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
>>70138643
>the book was so much better bro
>reading is like movies for smart people
>i guess it's all right if you like watered-down hollywood product
>>
>>70138675
epic, dude
>>
>>70138706
never read the book, unfortunately, McCarthy isnt translated in my country(aside for NCFOM) and while i'd love to read him, especially the Blood Meridian, i doubt that my English is decent enough to fully appreciate hes prose
>>
>>70138909
I was being sarcastic; you don't need to read the book to appreciate the movie. That said, it is a really good book and if you ever get the chance, you should give it a try.
>>
>>70138909
If you can type that post you should be fine
>>
Eh, I thought it was well made, about as good as that movie could've been. I just didn't like how bleak and sad it was.
>>
Based fucking Viggo, literally the most underrated actor on hollywood nowadays
>>
>papa
>>
>>70138909
The Road is written VERY simplistic. You should definitely be able to read it - I would be more vary of Blood Meridian, it's a lot more descriptive. You could always read a few pages on amazon to try it out.
>>
>>70138909

For once the film is as good as the book - it's quite a direct retelling with only a few scenes merged or removed - notably them following a pregnant couple and later finding out that they have eaten their newborn.
>>
>>70139541
The dialogue is very simplistic, but some of McCarthy's descriptors are quite complex and exact.
>>
one of the best movies of all time
>>
>>70139071
>Viggo
>hollywood

He's semi-outcast from Hollywood, after he made some critical comments about Israel. He only gets roles from European filmmakers or from directors who don't give a shit about Hollywood politics like David Cronenberg
>>
>>70139065
I don't think an apocalypse would be happy and bright
>>
>>70139818
Sounds like he gets better roles than anybody else
>>
>>70139850
No, but there are apocalyptic scenarios that aren't hopeless like The Road. Or at least the characters believe they'll be able to make something of the world they live in.
>>
>>70138643
Anyone that says they didn't cry at the end of this movie is fucking lying.
>>
>>70139886
There's nothing to make out of that world, it's fucking dead, the only thing they have is to survive, which is what the movie is about, not every movie has to be all nice and happy
>>
I wouldve liked the movie better if instead of the kid finding another family to go along with, it'd show him wandering around helplessly until he starved to death/got caught by cannibals
>>
>>70139882
from an artistic standpoint, yes. Luckily he cares more about making art than making money.
>>
>>70139886
The ending actually gave me that impression, but I still can't see a way to survive when the entire world is dead. As far as I could tell there was no sustainability whatsoever.
>>
>>70139698
That scene was a bit much. It's already hard to believe a malnourished woman would carry the baby to term and deliver is safely, but then having them kill and eat their child is overkill. We get it, the world has lost its humanity, I don't need to be beat over the head with it like that
>>
>>70138643
>That fucking cannibal basement
I was 13 when I watched this and I will never forget that, bleak as fuck.
>>
>>70140026
He's worth 30 mill, he's rich enough to only care about the roles
>>
>>70140010

The point wasn't really that they're all going to die soon and they should just fucking give up now. It's more about how we live with death as a looming certainty for all of us, coming faster than we ever dare to think and how survival and living is bleak and hard - but we still persist and hope.

It doesn't say whether this is stupid or worthwhile, its just what people do. The kid might even survive to old age but ultimately he's in a dying universe, so is it worth it carrying on hope and humanity? The father definitely thinks so, the cannibals don't, his wife didn't.
>>
>>70139946
Right, but I don't have to like a movie just because it goes against the grain.
>>
>>70140097

Yeah i agree, she didn't necessarily carry it to term though, could have been a stillbirth.
>>
>>70140105
he also has his own vineyard and small publishing house that publishes poetry.

patrician as fuck.
>>
>>70140219

sounds like a faggot baka
>>
it was fine but should have been WAY grayer
>>
>>70138643
Once again I have to come in this thread and tell the people who like this movie that they have been duped by the PC Hollywood Global Warming agenda. Despite most of the movie following the book word for word, when Viggo meets the old man, the writers/director inserted an additional line that completely changes the meaning of the original scene and warps it to promote the global warming agenda.

In the movie the old man says:

>I knew this was coming; this or something like it. There were warnings. Some people thought it was a con. I always believed in it.

In the book however, the exchange goes like this:

>Old Man: I just keep going. I knew this was coming.
>Man: You knew it was coming?
>Old Man: Yeah. This or something like it. I always believed in it.

Notice the wording of the first quote. "Some people thought it was a con". There you have it, global warming is to blame! So congrats I guess for being duped.
>>
>>70140097
they did it for thousands of years before doctors were around.
>>
>>70139734
I'd think that that would be a good way to learn English descriptions better, though
>>
>>70140219
He sounds like a pretentious faggot
>>
>>70140256

Right mate.
>>
>>70140309
it's only pretentious if you pretend. He's the real deal.
>>
>>70140219

Faggo Mortenson?
>>
>>70140337
hes a fag and your a fag for sucking his cock live on the internet
>>
>>70140187
Fair enough
>>
>>70140352
yeah well my dad could beat up your dad and your mom is a whore
>>
>>70140352
>>70140348
>>70140309
>>70140236
holy fucking pleb batman
>>
>>70140256
>Oh no, I've been duped into wanting to protect the earth I live on
>>
>>70140256
>sell us your property, its worthless if Yellowstone erupts!
>Mass extinctions happen every 60 million years, we're overdue, buy my bunker space!
>Terrorists or dictators will start the nuclear war any day now, we've got to buy survival gear!

cons always play to fear. there's nothing that says it was climate change
>>
Good movie desu
>>
>>70140380

Don't bite the bait. The line in the movie in no way has anything to do with climate change. Referring to any type of doomsayers as a con happens all the time: people who prophesise nuclear war, comet strikes, religious smiting etc.
>>
>>70139894
I cried like a little bitch pretty much during the whole movie, partly cos i watched it drunk and partly cos Viggo looks like/reminds me of my dad amazingly...
>>
>>70140383
yeah I'm sure that 99% of climate scientists are all in on this hoax, so they can profit from you being more energy efficient
>>
File: 1457977686658.jpg (12 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
1457977686658.jpg
12 KB, 345x345
>>70140337
So you're only pretentious if you PRETEND to be pretentious?
>>
>>70140432

No surprise your sodomized dad resulted in such a bitch of son crying at movies.
>>
>>70140444

No he's pretentious but he pretends to own a vineyard and poetry house. It's all very postmodern. He does suck dick for real tho.
>>
>>70140488
You should be crying for the fucking planet and what we are doing to it.
>>
File: rebbiting.jpg (114 KB, 557x305) Image search: [Google]
rebbiting.jpg
114 KB, 557x305
>>70138706
>>
>>70140539

> What the chinese and indians are doing to the planet

You are right, nuke them all, race war when?
>>
>>70140444
>>70140527
it's pretentious to pretend that you have talent, when you actually have none or have never proven you have any. Viggo has proven enough times that he's actually very talented in many fields.
>>
File: 1463246750615.jpg (34 KB, 336x335) Image search: [Google]
1463246750615.jpg
34 KB, 336x335
>>70140527
kek
>>
>>70140488
lmao shut up wannabe caveman autist
>>
>>70138909
Man if you already can write like this than you're totally fine if you want to read it in english.
>>
>>70140594

He has mad talent working a flesh pole i can tell you that for free. It's clear that he only produces wine so that he can sodomize drunk boys unless you're going to argue that the boys don't exist and then i guess neither does the wine so you are just agreeing that he's pretentious and doesn't even own a vineyard in the first place like we've been arguing. Well done you idiot.
>>
>>70138909
>prose
knowing and understanding this word puts you ahead of most of the people here.
>>
>>70138643
>There are people on /tv/ who hate on based Viggo
What a time to me alive
>>
>>70140762

It's spelt pros you autist.
>>
>when the dad starts coughing blood in the church and the son in distress puts his hands on his mouth and tells him to stop while trying not to cry

that got to me pretty bad
>>
>>70140761
you seem overly eager to make the discussion about your homosexual fantasies
>>
>>70140789

If he's so based spell his last name without looking it up.
>>
>>70140863
boy did you just admit to not being able to spell mortensen?
>>
>>70140846

Once there was blood in my stool (crohns) and my wife did the same thing and i thought of this scene.
>>
>>70140893
she held her hands on your asshole and told you to stop shitting?
>>
>>70140890

Capital M you dolt.
>>
>>70140936
nice post
>>
>Mfw this helped me become a prepper
>>
>>70140934

No sorry, she put her hand on my mouth and told me to stop crying
>>
>>70138643
Was about as half as good as the book.

That being said it still emotionally wrecked me.
>>
>>70140988

Prepping the bull? Colour me surprised.
>>
>>70140890
>mortensen
It's Morganstein you jabroni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EMlpi_s9I
>>
>>70141074
>>70140890

I don't know if you're both joking but it's Mortinssen - he changed it when he moved to the us to make it more friendly to american audiences.
>>
>>70140010
I thought about how that's what realistically would have happened instead of a guardian angel coming out of the fog to save him.

Realizing that I said fuck no because an ending like that would have driven me to near suicide after the rest of the movie had devastated me.
>>
>>70140934
thought the same thing
>>
File: 1427226595498.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1427226595498.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
>>70140846
The boy was too adorable, every scene where he was crying completely shattered me.
>>
>An army in tennis shoes, tramping. Carrying three-foot lengths of pipe with leather wrappings. [. . .] The phalanx following carried spears or lances tasseled with ribbons, the long blades hammered out of trucksprings in some crude forge upcountry. [. . .] Behind them came wagons drawn by slaves in harness and piled with goods of war and after that the women, perhaps a dozen in number, some of them pregnant, and lastly a supplementary consort of catamites illcothed against the cold and fitted in dogcollars and yoked each to each. All passed on. They lay listening.

>not in the movie

what a waste
>>
>>70141160
in the book it happens as the father is lying on the ground dying, so there's nothing to say it isn't just him imagining it

also I didn't really like the movie much, especially when compared to the book
>>
>>70138947
As much as I liked the book, I cannot believe he is so revered as a writer, he writes like a schoolkid.

>The man looked and saw the boy and the boy also saw the man and was watching him and clouds rolled by overhead and I forgot where the comma key is and I don't care because I really like using the word and twenty times in a sentence and also using no sentence structure whatsoever and forgoing punctuation and carrying sentences on for three or four times the length they should be and stuff.

I love the book but seriously, what the fuck?
>>
>>70140102
Hell, I saw it for the first time when I was 18 and that bit stuck with me for a while.
>>
>>70140444
maybe he likes making wine? maybe he likes poetry? maybe he wants to try and improve things he likes for himself and others?
>>
>>70144683

> Maybe he likes being pretentious

What a fucking waste of a post you just made
>>
>>70144728
at this point you're just a troll or a nigger
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.