[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pynchon reader here. what was the /tv/ consensus on inherent vice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: doc smoketello.png (782 KB, 440x929) Image search: [Google]
doc smoketello.png
782 KB, 440x929
pynchon reader here. what was the /tv/ consensus on inherent vice?
>>
Anyone spot Ruggles yet?
>>
Garbage just like Pynchon himself
>>
>>70111407
An adaption that could have been pulled off by no other director. It's my favorite PTA film, and I'm one who would consider The Master and There Will be Blood to be two of the best movies of the last ten years. Its entertaining through and through and extremely fun to watch and decipher
>>
>>70111407

i liked the book and just watched the movie yesterday. i fuckin loved it, i thought it was a great adaptation and, from what i remember, very true to the source material.

not as much naked chicks as i would have hoped though.
>>
>>70111407
Is it true? Is this movie like a "serious" Big Lebowski?
>>
i would like to see an adaptation of lot 49 or bleeding edge
>>
Is the source material as "goofy" as the movie is?
>>
>>70112238
>adaptation of lot 49
FLYING HAIRSPRAY CAN
>>
I cried during this movie

it's really good

damn pynchon, you really know how hard is to be a straight hippy
>>
>>70112227
No, this movie is over the top in many ways, with tons of physical comedy on top of jokes. It's more dense than TBL, but it's definitely a comedy as well
>>
>>70112227
The big lebowski is just a silly big sleep which is what IV is too except unlike Lebowski it's actually about a PI.
>>
>>70112292
>wes anderson directs it
how would you feel?
>>
File: 1420841357134.webm (2 MB, 720x336) Image search: [Google]
1420841357134.webm
2 MB, 720x336
Guys, what if PTA is really Pynchon?
>>
>>70112330
When I compare it to TBL I mean it in the sense that nothing makes sense in the film but is easy to follow. I mean that it's not an ultra complex movie. Would that be correct?

Thanks for the comedy aclaration anon.
>>
>>70112397
Yes, both the novel Inherent Vice and the film The Big Lebowski are heavily influenced by Raymond Chandler novels which are exactly like you describe where there's a thread that starts the story and a ton of other things that happen and characters that appear. Inherent Vice is definitely harder to follow I suppose since it follows Chandler's style a lot more while Lebowski plays it sort of loose and semi straight forward.
>>
>>70112380
>you will never see the gravity's rainbow banana scene on film
why live
>>
>>70112397
Its definitely true that nothing makes sense. The general ideas are clear, but most of the plot points and various characters never complete the puzzle that is the plot. I would also argue that the themes of the movie are quite complex. But as far as the story goes, so long as you're ok with getting lost in the over-arching conspiracies, its easy to follow what is going on in each moment
>>
>>70112499
Awesome! Now I finally have the motivation I need to watch it. I downloaded it months ago but I was worried it could be complex or way too hard to follow so it would confuse me and not in a good way. Thanks anon
>>
>>70112380
haha holy fuck I totally forgot this scene

brolin and PTA are madmans
>>
>>70112576
if anything IV is pynchon-lite and is a really good primer into the rest of his stuff. his main story style is essentially conspiracy so keep that in mind going in
>>
It's shit just like most PTA films.
>>
>>70112747
this post is pure kino
>>
>>70112380
>those facial expressions
makes me kek every time
the dude is such a great actor it literally isn't fair
>>
>>70111407

It's pretty boring, just people talking and stuff, and I couldn't tell what was going on. 6/10.
>>
>>70111407
One of my favorite movies in the past ~10 years. You really have to watch it at least twice though.
>>
>>70112380
>that scat reference
Bravo PTA
>>
>>70112888
This. I sort of despised it my first go around, now its one of my favorites
>>
>>70112344
Anderson would be able to capture the visual/stylistic aspects but his dialogue would probably fall flat. I'm not sure Pynchon works as dead pan.
>>
HEY YOU
>>
I tried to watch it when the HD rips first came out. I couldn't make it past a half hour. A few months after that I forced myself to finish it. It was just as shitty as that first half hour.
>>
>>70112380

>the gag reflex
>>
File: Pussy_menu.jpg (211 KB, 1275x686) Image search: [Google]
Pussy_menu.jpg
211 KB, 1275x686
So what'll it be?
>>
>>70113030
MOTO PANACAKO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7UwlZlof7U
>>
File: Del toro.jpg (845 KB, 3000x1997) Image search: [Google]
Del toro.jpg
845 KB, 3000x1997
>>70112888
>>70112921
Literally gets better every time I watch it. One of the few movies I haven't gotten tired of and i've seen it a LOT.
>>
>>70113007
take your ADD medication and try watching it again.
>>
>>70112380
fuck you and fuck your banana

>>70111407
It got me into reading more of Pynchon
>>
HOWARD HUGHES WAS ITALIAN?
>>
>>70113383

This line cracks me up.
>>
>>70113147
Awesome, just bought it on Blu ray, can't wait to see it again
>>
>>70112128
Mah nigga
>>
>>70112128
Yep.
>>
>>70113147
>Del toro.jpg

Uh... that's Brad Pitt, senpai.
>>
>>70111407
It's great. Though it's the last film I remember watching at the cinema that had major walk outs. Guess it's not for everyone.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.