[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hamilton the Musical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (951 KB, 1200x628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
951 KB, 1200x628
No other board to post this in and I'm pretty certain it will be a movie soon.

People are shitting their pants trying to get into this show. $1500 dollars for a pair of tickets for a Friday night showing.

What's so fucking great about this play? Anyone on /tv/ seen it?
>>
>>70103194
The Founding Fathers are played by minorities
>>
>>70103194
It is shit and Lin Manuel is a fucking hack who regards himself as the second coming of Hamilton. Wouldn't surprise me if he went full retard and tried to get into politics.
>>
It's just a prank, bro.
>>
Haven't seen it or listened to it but I do theatre and everyone I know is in love with it
Seems interesting I guess, like I said I only know the main concept
For whatever reason a simple idea like a rap musical with a unique and altered view of history is just SOOOO thrilling for moron audiences
I bet it's not bad but is it really, truly that amazing?
>>
>>70103194
Yeah I saw it. Yeah it's good. Yeah it'll probably win over 10 Tony's.

Yeah it's impossible to see now. Nah I wouldn't pay $1500 to watch it. Nah the CD doesn't capture the magic. Yeah I saw people cry.

And shit, he got Hamilton saved on his bill and not replaced by Tubman. Hope it tours.
>>
>>70103194
I've seen it, it was good but not pants-shitting good like the fangirls who won't shut the fuck up about it would have you believe.
>>
I'm in a love/hate relationship with this musical.

I don't enjoy musicals, but I dabble in listening to some songs from musicals very selectively.

Hamilton is a sad reflection on the state of modern education, that young people can't be interested in their own country's history that they need a trendy, rhyming, rap-fiesta take on history of the founding fathers to be remotely interested. It works, though.

I don't like the SJW feminist shtick the musical employs with its female subjects (schuyler sisters), but I found the female singers more tolerable than the male singers, even then.

I hate how catchy the songs are, but I can't help but dabble in the music.
>>
>>70103330

Is it $1500 hundred dollars good? Shit.
>>
I saw it in December. Had heard a lot about it but I don't really like musicals and thought it sounded corny. But no it was really good actually. The rapping was good and was pulled off right and the characters were interesting takes on the historical figures they were based on. I'd recommend it if you can somehow get tickets. I hope they just make a DVD for it though cuz most people can't see it at this point
>>
>>70103419
No it isn't, but I would say that it's worth 300$ at least.
I was lucky enough to win the lottery so no complaining here, it does lives up to the hype, but 1500 is way too much.
>>
File: 1464339903188.jpg (86 KB, 638x478) Image search: [Google]
1464339903188.jpg
86 KB, 638x478
Didn't they ask for no white actors to audition... in a story about the Founding Fathers?
>>
Lin seems like he could be a bit of a dick but it's honestly really good, I saw it when it was off Broadway. Wouldn't pay a month's rent to see it, though.
>>
>>70104084
Yeah, so what?

The founding fathers didn't communicate solely through hip-hop and show tunes either so any immediate realism was already thrown well out the window.
>>
Heard good things about it but then I saw
>SJW minorities
> rap

This is one of those things that really isn't very good but it just covers all the political correctness bases and thus gets good reviews. Like Selma and crap like that.
>>
>>70104334
Try to listen to the soundtrack and you'll see that the praise doesn't comes from that, the music is genuinely good and it isn't all rap, it mixes al kind of genres.
>>
>>70103393
I'll give it a listen, link the CD my man
>>
>>70104334
>Leading your life with such exclusivity

Do yourself a favor and do what
>>70104362
said
>>
>>70104084
What's wrong? Can't handle the fact that they wuz foundin' fathers and shit?
>>
>>70103194
One Or Two Good Songs and Then The Rest Is Schoolhouse Rock Tier Trash: The Musical.
>>
>WE WUZ FOUNDIN FATHAS
>>
>>70104303
>>70104084
I mean, I saw a production of King Lear a little while back with a largely black central cast and it was fucking great. Theater is pretty loose with this sort of thing, and with good reason, it makes for interesting performances.
>>
>>70104376
https://www.reddit.com/r/CastRecordings/comments/3mc3nd/hamilton_original_broadway_cast_recording_mega/

Here's where I got my copy. I'd treat it like any other album. Listen to it and appreciate the rhythm and the beat on the first play through, then on the second listen to the lyrics and the word play. It really is a, exceptional score
>>
Childhood is when you idolize Alexander Hamilton.

Adulthood is when you realize Aaron Burr makes more sense.
>>
>>70104362
Maybe you're right but the mere fact that there using rap for that time period is just enough for me. I already had enough with what Hollywood did with poor Gatsby.
The SJW pandering is just the cherry on top.

So no, I'm not going to give it a chance.
>>
>>70104460
>linking to reddit
Well you're just the mother of all whores aint you
>>
>>70103277
Why not listen to it before you form such a condescending opinion?
>>
>>70104480
Not him but somebody asked him for a link.
>>
>>70104480
I could have went and just linked the megaupoad url, but what fucking difference does it make, honestly
>>
>>70103304
I cried listening to the cd
>>
>>70104480
>he still hates reddit

2009 was 11 years ago man
>>
File: t1larg.angry.boy.thinkstock[1].jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
t1larg.angry.boy.thinkstock[1].jpg
32 KB, 640x360
>>70104470
>>
>>70104535
Are you black? Or urban?
>>
Everyone is saying Hamilton this and Hamilton that, but no one is saying Rainbow High this and Dreamcoat that!
>>
>>70104604
Not that guy but I'm as white as they come and I found it pretty emotional too
>>
File: 1443563033685.jpg (7 KB, 215x225) Image search: [Google]
1443563033685.jpg
7 KB, 215x225
>>70103261
>tfw he's pushing for congress to bailout Puerto Rico
>>
>>70104470
You must be fun at parties
>>
File: 1464200136814.gif (2 MB, 387x217) Image search: [Google]
1464200136814.gif
2 MB, 387x217
>>70104468
Replace Hamilton with Jefferson and Burr with Washington and you're golden
>>
>>70104591
Well, for me rap is mostly (like 99,9%) pure shit and it doesn't do anything for me.

Why would I waste my time with something I really despise. Why would I shell out money for a musical that's going to lose my interest the second one goes "Yo" or whatever crap they say in Hamilton.
>>
>>70104704
Not as much as you with your replies. Face it, there's no reason why everyone must like rap. Tolerate it far away is allright but I'm not spending a single cent on it.
>>
>>70104470
You seem awfully close minded for a young person (well I imagine you're young).
Try listening to this, it doesn't even has rap and the guy who sings it is white.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21wgwkzdrkI
>>
File: fuck banks.png (875 KB, 1023x800) Image search: [Google]
fuck banks.png
875 KB, 1023x800
>>70104468
Andrew Jackson will forever be my hero.
>>
File: 1463056211915.png (794 KB, 2000x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463056211915.png
794 KB, 2000x1024
Reasons to see this overpriced shit:

1. Me iz from da hood, we founding nao
2. I sure am not racist or prejudiced against minorities, look, look how I spend my kids college fund on a truly progressive show
3. Fuck I need to spend this drug money fast, the cops are getting close, fuck how can I spend money and blend in at the same time?
4. Rap is pure pottery and the anthem should be performed with a sick ass beat every morning

People tnd to forget that catchy doesn't mean shit. Just like popular things sometimes reveal how fucking retarded 88% of the population is.

But fuck it, whatever happens this musical will be pointed to when jews propose to blackwash history since - goy it makes money so it must be good

fuck america the only solution now is to do a false flag bio/nuke explosion in the south or in three generations the niggas will take over the leitkultur of america and kids won't even know that people that made murica great were slave owners.
>>
I enjoy the music, particularly Satisfied, The Room Where it Happens, One Last Time and The World Was Wide Enough. But I've always been fond of musicals so I'm a bit biased.
>>
>>70104664
Asian people probably wouldn't even give a shit, black people would be doing another riot
>>
>>70104825
>I'm not gonna listen to this musical!

So? How many musicals have you ever listened to?

>None, but this one is different because it has niggers in it!
>>
>>70104545
>still hates terrorists

2001 was 15 years ago man

anon aren't you aware of the current year?!?
>>
>>70104084

Miranda's intent was to depict the America of the past through the America of today. The America of today is, increasingly, non-white and will be majority non-white within twenty years.
>>
>>70104722
You sound like an old man named Dale
>>
>>70104916
Jesus you said like the embodiment of /pol/ retardation
>>
>>70103194
>$1500 dollars for a pair of tickets for a Friday night showing

lel really? I saw it and it cost me less than $50. It was also extremely underwhelming.

>>70104907
>This is the man they chose to replace on currency with some law breaking negress

Sometimes this country really sucks a dick.
>>
>>70105272
He's on the back now retard

Also Harriet Tubman worked for the American government against the Confederacy which was and still is considered to be illegal and treasonous rebellion of slave owners
>>
>>70104899
Look, I appreciate that despite one condescending reply from another anon this thread has been civilized (didn't expect anthing else from a musical thread).
But that type of music isn't really my cup of tea.

The song in the link is good, in a 7/10 but that's the most I can give you.

>>70105087
Another baseless assumption that doesn't make you look good. But thank God you didn't ask if I ever payed for tickets because otherwise I would have had a hard time remembering every single one.

If you were the only publicity for this musical you'd be making a hell of a job.
>You're no fun if you don't like this.
>You don't like Rap? Do you even listen to musicals?

>>70105168
You're no better.
>>
Best song coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTP6x_sDiM
>>
Haven't seen it in person, but the soundtrack is fucking phenomenal. Music is great, lyrics are better. Very deserving of the Pulitzer it already won.
>>
>>70105138
true pottery, masterful insight into the human condition comperable only to the modern abstract art painted with mentrual blood

Its clearly agenda pushing and virtue signaling.

Imagine talking around the water cooler and mentioning you don't give a shit about it because you dislike one or several of the following:
-rap
or
-minoritywashing history
or
inflated ticket price
or
obvious political agenda of the production
or
I'm not a fucking sheep and can decide for myself what is worth spending money on

People will respond with RACIST RACIST RACIST either way so imho just say you dislike negros singing and save time. As a bonus sjws will voluntarily ignore you from now on
>>
File: 842322.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
842322.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>>70103194
>musicals

Check your sack for some nuts, OP
>>
>>70105394
>If you were the only publicity for this musical

Yes, clearly making fun of your obsession with "dindus" is an attempt to market the show to you.
>>
>>70105472
>virtue signaling
Oh, that made up thing again
>>
>>70105495
Reading comprehension mate. Not liking rap doesn't mean I'm KKK. White people rap too. Even Germans rap.
>>
>>70105492
>He fell for the musicals are for gays meme
Closet fag detected
>>
>>70103194
>trying to discuss musicals on 4chan
>much less this one
>>
>>70103194
>>70103304
>>70103419
>>70103688
It's also playing in a city filled with rich-as-fuck bankers and lawyers and tourists etc. for whom $1500 is not a significant amount of money.
>>
>>70105533
Imagine the same songs with the same script, costumes, set etc. the only difference is the race of the performers. If they were mostly white NOBODY would give a shit.
By making race the entire point (blacks singing black music with black lingo black black black black) the musical is so obvisouly cashing in on the fact that nobody wants to be accused of being racist and will see the show just because saying no would make them racist in the publics eye.

Nobody hates it cuz niggas.
Most hate it because their entire point is niggas can make musicals too. Which everybody but the extreme leftist sjws knew for a long ass time
>>
>>70105138
Shouldn't it be all Hispanics then? Blacks aren't growing in the states relatively.
>>
>>70105790
No, there would be articles about "The Insufferable Whiteness" of the Founding Fathers or debates about cultural appropriation because of white people rapping
>>
File: 1283521206270.jpg (200 KB, 1200x767) Image search: [Google]
1283521206270.jpg
200 KB, 1200x767
>>70105533

This is bait but fuck it I already started typing

virtue signalling
Saying you love or hate something to show off what a virtuous person you are, instead of actually trying to fix the problem.
>>
>>70105790
What's annoying some people is how obnoxious it is making a BLACK musical about the fucking founding fathers.

I highly doubt it would have been big if the subject matter was about actual black people.
>>
>>70106219
>Uh-oh! You made the wrong sucker a cuckold
So time to pay the piper for the pants you unbuckled
And hey, you can keep seein’ my whore wife
If the price is right: if not I’m telling your wife

I dunno, sounds like a musical made for 4chan
>>
>>70106349
That's why it wouldn't make money, we'd hold out for the free rips
>>
>>70103194
The Broadway show is basically printing money for the foreseeable future. They won't turn it into a movie for ~10 years because then they don't want to hurt demand for the live show
>>
It's cool but to be honest, i prefer In the Heights.

If someone doesn't want to spend 1500 bucks heres a bootleg version of it

https://mega.nz/#F!8tU2WLrY!Putbj9nmQiqAF7dwjffN_w

The staging is kinda boring imo.
>>
>>70105767
L O T T E R Y

also is anyone watching the Broadway vlogs? they're really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E266AnpsXXg
>>
I'm still waiting for my adaptation of Assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHCgjmueEgY&list=PLCFC45CBC13F1564C

I don't really get it why Indie directors don't try to adapt some musicals
>>
>>70107611
royalty costs are astronomical & the industry is generally averse to granting movie adaptations: once they're made people will stop going to the theatre and just go see the movie instead.
>>
>>70107897
I suppose you're right.

>tfw i will never see Pacific Overtures on the big screen
>>
>/tv/ - Television & Film
>Live theatre

kys nigeger
>>
>>70103277
I was legit surprised at how well they were able to translate a certain historical period into rap, and even more surprised that they managed to make it as compelling as they did.

Lafayette/Jefferson's raps were un-fucking-believable by the way.
>>
>>70109359
What other board is it supposed to be on you fucking nigger

>>70106349
Hoo boy.
>>
>>70103194
i listened to the cd and it was just terrible garbage.

i assume the actual play is much better so it will still be terrible
>>
>>70109501
out or lgbt
>>
>>70109585
>>70109501
maybe /lit/
>>
>>70105394
>You'll Be Back
>only a 7/10

I respect your opinion, but seriously? George's songs are some of the best in the show (next to Room Where It Happens, What'd I Miss, and Non-Stop)
>>
An inaccurate show for an inaccurate audience.
>>
>>70103194

>Paying 1500 dollars to demonstrate your progressiveness

I'd rather just virtue signal on twitter tbqh familial

>What's so fucking great about this play? Anyone on /tv/ seen it?

It's an absolutely shitty broadway musical (I know, not exactly a tall order) that is totally hip and progressive and not-at-all-for-your-grandparents because there is some crappy RnB and Hip Hop elements mixed in plus they race swap the founding fathers for black and hispanic guys.

It's this generations Rent, and I expect in 5 years time when a movie finally hits the screens, it will be just as well received as the Rent movie was.
>>
>>70107897
>went to see cabaret earlier this year
that being said, its because i hate the movie
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 1500x1000
>>70109359

OP here

1). As I mentioned, this might become a movie sometime soon

2). No other board to post it on
>>
>>70109711
It's more accurate than one would expect.

>Laurens/Lee duel
>Rochambeau
>Washington seeing Hamilton as a son figure

I mean there's minor things that were made up (Burr and Hamilton's first meeting, Montgomery getting a bullet in the neck in Quebec) but those are primarily to drive the plot along.

And what the fuck are you talking about with "inaccurate audience?"
>>
>>70109740
Yes, but what specifically did you not like about it?

Remember, if you didn't listen to it you have no right to an opinion on it.
>>
A play so limousine liberals can pat themselves on the back about how tolerant and down with hippty hop and Negroes they are
>>
File: IMG_8335.jpg (2 MB, 2200x1467) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8335.jpg
2 MB, 2200x1467
We Hamilton thread again.

I'm just upset I'm probably never going to see it.
>>
Posting cast recordings as usual tell me what you want and I'll upload it

what I've already uploaded: http://pastebin.com/ehWCCpa1
>>
>>70110862
Hamilton is dominating the coverage on these years musicals, but how are the other musicals going on this year?

I've listened to the cast recording of "School of Rock" and it was pretty funny.
>>
>>70103194
The show is GOAT
>>
>>70110923
>>70110862
Also do you have the cast recording for Napoleone:The Musical?
>>
>>70110923
I haven't got to keep up with most of the shows this year but Something Rotten, Fun Home, and Waitresses have all been doing great from what I've heard

And yes I do, its the London version

https://mega.nz/#!9VgQhBKC!eeV3aA6kKN4t2L1IL0vNKHctNA7Ozqa1W8MGWF5O8VQ
>>
>>70111008
Aight thanks m8.

I've listened to SR and Fun Home and both are pretty fun.

I feel like Fun Home would trigger the fuck out of /tv/
>>
bumping for Theatre
>>
>>70110643
>Going to NYC this weekend
>Don't get to see Hamilton
Why even live?
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.