[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone remember what this kino's reception was when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
Does anyone remember what this kino's reception was when it first came out? Did people shit on it, was it considered average, revered like it is today?
>>
>>70098314

It was a big deal. No idea about the critical reception at the time though. I remember massive excitement for the extended edition dvd set more than anything.
>>
I remember it was considered great. Then again i was like 10 so who knows
>>
i was like 13 and i loved it and all my friends and even the sports normies etc at my school did too. ofc, im sure there were 25 year old men who liked to look at the soles of girls feet and ate exclusively microwave food and try to suck their kwn dick every few days when they get drunk who didnt like it at all and thought it was shit. i grew up to be them, but my life wasnt always joyless.
>>
>>70098314
You must be 18 to post here
>>
>>70098314
No one disliked it except for a bunch of autistic Tolkien shills. It dominated the Oscars and other important awards.

>there are people browsing this board RIGHT NOW who didn't see LOTR when it first came ojut
>>
Only the first one was truly great.
>>
>>70098314
It was an event, I remember everyone talking about how awesome it was, and I as well as several people I knew saw it in theaters multiple times
>>
>>70098594
Go fuck yourself you cocking motherfucker
>>
>>70098314
I remember tolkien fanbois + that Christopher Tolkien guy hated it
>>
File: frodo.png (325 KB, 560x559) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325 KB, 560x559
Mostly the board was filled with "But why didn't the eagles fly Frodo" posts that were fucking annoying, and a lot of people got upset because the ages weren't right, tom bolbadil and Gandalf depowered some other stuff but mostly everyone agreed it was the best adaption to date.
>>
>>70098777
2001 /tv/ truly was a glorious time uh
>>
>>70098493
lol
>>
>>70098493
yeah dude but if you ever actually get to suck it you'll be super set. it's way harder than you think. Of course women are way more flexible but hey you don't have to ask yourself to suck your own dick
>>
>>70098777
even thought the cartoon adaptation by bakshi was fucking amazing (that boromir scene)

It sucks they cut it off at such a terrible point, i heard it was because of budget reasons.

The animated RoTK was one of the worst movies i've ever seen.
>>
>>70098314
91% or RT
Less than SW:TFA
>>
>>70098777
>>70098806
what was /tv/'s reaction on 9/11?
>>
I saw it in the cinema when I was very young. I remember being so hyped because it was so long since the second one.

Then again I was not even sixteen and a year was a long ass time for me back then.
>>
>>70098920
I think it's the day we can say Baneposting really took off
>CRASHING THOSE TOWERS
>>
>>70098957

for RoTK*
>>
>>70098863
It'd be nice but you also have to consider that handjobs from a talented woman (and not some virgin who thinks technique means more friction = more good) feel way better than masturbation. I don't really know how to explain why, but it's kinda like how jokes aren't funny if you already know the punchline.
>>
>>70098594
incorrect, my good sir.
>>
It was pretty great, The Fellowship of the Ring wasn't as big a deal as Star Wars: The Force Awakens was, though The Two Towers and Return of the King were, but at this point the only people who knew about LOTR were bookfags, the trailers made it seem pretty cool. Now I didn't go on anonymous imageboards in 2001, so I can only tell you about the reaction to it at the cinema near me, whenever trailers, come on the screen, etc.
People seemed to think it looked good, it had something about it I guess, that it to say not everyone reacted like that, but there were no heckles or anything, there wasn't people saying it looked shit as far as I could tell.
It got huge on DVD release and seeing The Two Towers and Return of the King for the following two Christmas/New Years in 2002 and 2003 were pretty big deals, I mean everyone thought it pretty good. There was none of that "Lol, NERD" stuff or if there was, it was ironic.
It was like Pokemon and Dragonball Z level of popular, pretty much everyone liked it.
>>
I loved it. Watched it hundreds of times on DVD.
>>
>>70098653
well, it's true.

The theatrical release of Fellowhip is a masterpiece. Jackson lost all restraints on the two following movies and it turned into a tasteless cartony cgi saturated shitfest. The ending of return of the king is the only thing that gives the series a dignified ending.
>>
>>70099133
lol he filmed them all at the same time you dummy, if you're talking about post-production stuff, it was probably necessary
>>
>>70099038
yeah I feel you on that. It would probably be a little weird but OK the first time, and lose momentum after that. Why is finding a suitable wet hole to stick your dick in so hard...
>>
It was absolutely huge. It got a good reception.
>>
>theoden thought aragorn abandoned him in battle of pelennor fields
feelsbadman
>>
>>70099186

Peter jackson is following the path of George Lucas, when technology gets in the way of filmmaking.

>"Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Viggo-Mortensen-Has-Some-Serious-Problems-With-2nd-3rd-Lord-Rings-Movies-43034.html
>>
>>70099234
Sexual liberalism means a huge open market, which in return means that some goods are now worthless next to way higher quality ones
>>
>>70098863
>not asking yourself
That's rape
>>
>>70098594
100% truth.
>>
>>70099413
Iirc, that's because Peter messed up budgeting. Yes, he was supposed to have shot all three movies at the same time but he was only able to make Fellowship worthy of theatrical release. Two Towers was practically a direct to DVD release as it stood post shooting. In fact, there was such a negative air about the production that Pete wasted all the money. Thankfully Fellowship was such a hit that the studio gave him more money for reshoots for Two Towers and Return.
>>
>>70098594
This is correct. The other two were good, but not great.
>>
File: 1464132018985.jpg (72 KB, 579x460) Image search: [Google]
1464132018985.jpg
72 KB, 579x460
>>70098314
fuck off underage
>>
>>70098594
scaruffi believes otherwise you cuck
>>
>>70098314
People were relieved it was mostly faithful to the books and I was nominated for and won many Oscars. Unlike the Hobbit which was got tier fuck up of the original.
>>
>>70098314
It got the reception it deserved. The truest kino of our time.
>>
>>70098594

>it's a /tv/ can't commit to anything and lose faith quickly episode

99% of the opinions on this board believe the first season/movie of anything is the best
>>
>>70100604
Most people here say Dexter Season 4 was the best whenever we have one of those autist dexter season threads
>>
>>70098314
How fucking old are you?
>>
>>70098314
The first movie was a massive and immediate pop-culture phenomenon to an extent that hasn't really been repeated since. It was a zeitgeist-defining event that captured the imagination of the movie-going public on a grand scale. People quoted and referenced it endlessly and it had pretty much secured its place as a classic before it even hit home video. It was the first truly iconic blockbuster of the 21st century (the last one of the 20th century being The Matrix).
>>
>>70100392
18 year olds today were 3 when this movie came out. I'm just saying
>>
>>70098314
I was pretty young, and honestly, while I loved it, I didn't appreciate it like I do now. I was only a kid, as far as I knew movies of this quality were made all the time.
>>
>>70101061
It wasn't just you. Quality films were coming yearly, until somewhere around 2006/2007 where everything went to shit.
>>
>>70101013
This is the best response. The only two movies with any similar fanfare since are Avatar and Episode VII. But I think the combination of hype, box office success, and critical success made LotR the huge hit that it was, and the fact that Jackson & company decided to film the movies at the same time allowed them to release within a 2 year window. They just did everything right.
>>
>>70101013
>hasn't really been repeated since

I obviously prefer LOTR, but when Harry Potter movies and books were coming out in the same year, the impact it had on pop culture was OT Star Wars levels of hype.

I remember seeing people lining up down the streets for the new books, and then a few months later, the same thing at the cinema. Haven't seen anything like that since
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 910x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 910x1080
>dad buys me ROTK game for GameCube
>I cry because I didn't like it
>he says he would return it
>say it's fine
>play it a lot eventually grows on me
>never thanked him for being a little shit
>>
>>70101188
Early on, Harry Potter was seen as a little kids thing, no?
>>
>>70101206

Wow, you were a little faggot.
>>
>>70100604
Well, they are.
Especially seasons.
>>
>>70101013
And The Dark Knight.
>>
>>70101320
Man it had featurettes of the hobbits playing it. I remember Dominic making fun of the dude who played pippin cuz he was really slow and would look at controller before making a move.
>>
>>70101394
Avatar was a huge box office hit but it's pop-culture impact was minimal. Within a year pretty much everyone had stopped talking about it. Dark Knight was a big deal at the time but it doesn't really compare to the widespread sensation that LOTR created.
>>
>>70101188
>harry potter
>hype
pick one faget. the only people that read HP was children
>>
As many have said, they were absolutely huge when they came out and there was no nerd stigma or whatever. I remember seeing them with my dad multiple times in theater and on VHS. I was 12 and I knew then that LOTR was going to be my generations Star Wars (I had already seen the OT and Phantom Menace but Clones didn't drop until '02) and I still feel that's true.
>>
>>70098314
it got nominated for best picture
>>
>>70101282
>>70101567
Are you fucking serious? The media wouldn't shut up about the books literally appealed to everyone. They got children back into reading books, and it had an unlikely adult fan base.
>>
File: 1456578035615.gif (125 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456578035615.gif
125 KB, 500x281
>>70101784
>They got children back into reading books
hahahaha I keep hearing people repeat this myth but what are they reading now? If it all? Divergent? 50 shades of grey? It's just media bullshit, man.
>The media wouldn't shut up about the books literally appealed to everyone
It became a thing because of the movies, just like how much game of thrones have sold books for a song of ice and fire.
>>
>>70098314
>go in hype as fuck
>the comfort levels are beyond measure
>ringraiths are spooky as fuck
>everything is going great
>the hobbits reach bree
>no old forest
>no fine ass river daughter
>no tom bombadil

Left my friends and went home. Haven't seen the films since
>>
>>70102088
>tom bombadil

When will this meme end
>>
>>70098314
I was in elementary school at the time but I remember vaguely it being hyped up at the theatres. Like the other anons said, it was a big deal. I'm also pretty sure it was well received.
>>
>>70098314
LOTR was amazing but it ruined blockbusters because execs found out they can make them as bloated and long as they want and idiots will sit through it
>>
Fotr was surprisingly good. I think no one expected such a great movie when the source material was so vast and well known.

I was a bit let down when they didn't show Tom Bombadil but it would have messed up the story for the casual viewer so it was a good decision to leave him out.

The hype building up for RotK was insane though.
>>
>>70098777
You stupid newfag, 4chan wasent even around in 2001. It was founded in 2003.

Waste of trips
>>
>>70099413
Viggo just really dislikes CGI, which is understandable when you look at his acting method, the dude is all about little nuances and body expressions.
>>
>>70101188
by movie 3 id say yes, but the first 2 harry potter movies were only noticed by book readers and kinds.
once prisoner came out then the fanbase exploded
>>
>>70101408
the featurette with Pipping and Merry used to make me laugh my ass off
>DOM PRESS X
>which ones the X button?
>>
>>70103117
Why on the contrary it is you who have revealed yourself as the newfag.
>>
>>70103364
https://youtu.be/6n0Uj41zlhU?t=34s
>>
>>70103700
>How to be an incredible actor
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.