[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the movie actually about? Obviously it wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Fight_club_RVB_72.jpg (1 MB, 2126x3007) Image search: [Google]
Fight_club_RVB_72.jpg
1 MB, 2126x3007
So what was the movie actually about? Obviously it wasn't about how everyone should start their own fight club.

Also alternate movie posters thread because no one ever takes my threads seriously
>>
>>70083215
I like that poster.
>>
>>70083215
Same thing as Apocalypse Now.

>Franchises are bad
>Counter-franchise is better
>Counter-franchise is exactly the same as franchise in the end
>But who was phone?

Literally it.
>>
>>70083215
It's the main character's journey of self-discovery.
>>
>>70083329
He learned he was a suicidal schizophrenic?
..actually yeah I can see that
>>
File: projectionist.jpg (54 KB, 500x747) Image search: [Google]
projectionist.jpg
54 KB, 500x747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W56VO9qkUM
>>
>>70083365
No, he learned what he actually wanted in life. What made him happy. Taylor represented the part of himself yearning for freedom that he was repressing in salary man life.

When he was free, he had decided that he wants nobody to live a life as shitty as he did, and that he wants to give other people a taste of freedom. The former life also took self-awareness from him, though, so he didn't immediately realize he actually got into some really edgy shit.

This is hard.
>>
>>70083215

it's about realizing the enslavement of humanity and the supression of the divine masculine principles that opposes abuse.
>>
>>70083507
So that whole part where Tyler wasn't telling the narrator what was going on was just a part of his psyche going rogue? Or was it just a part of him still denying his self destructive tendencies?
>>
>>70083215
materialism
>>
>>70083507
>build a cult that was literally plebbit
>kill everyone who downvotes your anti-captilalism/anti-consumerism opinions
>taste of freedumbs
yeah, Tyler LITERALLY fought for freedumbs, justice and the american way!!!1

the whole escaping cultish capitalism/consumerism through a cult that clearly didn't encourage freedom or free thought seems more like irony/a farce to me, because both extremes were stupid and didn't give his life more meaning than the other.
>>
>>70083507
>he wants to give other people a taste of freedom.

Really?

>In Project Mayhem, you have no name
>You're just a number. A space monkey
>You're an all-singing, all-dancing, crap of the universe
>Rule number one is, you do not ask questions
>Only allowed to wear all-black uniform
>Sleep in bunkbeds in underground barracks
>Work from the moment you wake up, to the moment you go to sleep

SUCH FREEDOM! SO LIBERATED! MUCH INDEPENDENCE!
>>
>>70083803
>more like irony/a farce to me, because both extremes were stupid and didn't give his life more meaning than the other.
I think that was the real point here
>>
It was about disenfranchisement. It proposes nothing better to replace it - only that repressing certain impulses will eventually cause splitting. This manifested itself in a direct sense in the main character, because he, the salaryman and consumer, couldn't be all that Tyler was. He had to externalise it. He was not schizophrenic, he had dissociative identity disorder. His symptoms are fairly typical of that, albeit more extreme and interesting than most.

In any case, what he externalised gave way to something that drew in others who felt similarly disenfranchised. Though they had no need to split as he did, owing to presumably greater stability, they recognised that the world around them ran contrary to their own needs and desires; society essentially held them in contempt and denied them the ability to express themselves or even to understand their own impulses. Thus, as he had done, they lashed out in a self-destructive way. There was an acknowledgement that something needs to change but a frustration over having no idea what, or why. That is why the doctrine appealed to so many in the film and in the audience: impotence and thwarted masculinity.
>>
>>70084053
So basically Trump
>>
>>70083956
Sounds like the "freedom" aspect of his newfound personality over compensated and recreated his working place environment, except he was the leader this time.

From being in a position of no power with not enough responsibility to a position of absolute power with (what he felt like) too much responsibility.
>>
>>70084162
Sounds like you're too young to watch this movie, and Tyler/Fincher/Pitt/Palanhuick completely threw the wool over your eyes.

Tyler knew what he was doing from the get-go. He just took impressionable minds, told them some edgy contrarian shit, looked cool as fuck, and the retards saw him as a god.

Protip: the theme is irony. Large scale, satirical, destructive, irony.

>Tyler mocks underwear models
>Tyler looks better than underwear models
>Brad Pitt had to train real hard to specifically get those looks
>Brad Pitt is an underwear model
>"No guys! Tyler was fighting for my freedom! I don't need to look good anymore, i-it's just masturbation! T-tyler doesn't believe in it"

Also protip: never trust anybody called Tyler, they are all pieces of shit
>>
It's about male bisexuality.

>>70084359
>Also protip: never trust anybody called Tyler, they are all pieces of shit
I have to admit, I'm always surprised when a Tyler turns out to be a decent guy.
>>
>>70083215
It was about how the only people who succeed in modern life are really just those who remain content after they have convinced themselves that they didn't have to compromise the best version of themselves to get where they are.

The fact that the story focuses on subconscious responsibility for his actions means that it aims to promote the destructive desire to be honest, pessimistic and above all anti-egotistical because there is already an excess inside you. Patrice Rice was right when he said it is a look into the psyche of upper middle suburbanites.
>>
>>70083215
Father figures
>>
>>70083215
The book had massive homoerotic undertones. It was about repression, masculinity and feeling helpless.

The movie captured some of this, but veered away from the uncomfortable sexuality in order to create the edgy teen fantasy flick we have today.

i love the movie though, pitt slays it
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.