[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It’s official: Cary Fukunaga and Steven Spielberg will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: rarekubrick.jpg (62 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
rarekubrick.jpg
62 KB, 500x380
>It’s official: Cary Fukunaga and Steven Spielberg will finish Stanley Kubrick’s Napoleon

>HBO is preparing mini-series based on the director's life-long passion project

>Stanley Kubrick’s life-long passion project Napoleon will finally be realized nearly 50 years after the acclaimed director began working on it. The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed reports that HBO is preparing a mini-series based on Kubrick’s original script. Cary Fukunaga, who first made a name for himself on HBO’s True Detective, has been charged with directing the hire-profile project. Steven Spielberg, who previously expressed interest in helming the film himself, is on board as an executive producer.

>The film revolves around French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his struggle to bring Europe under his total control during the 19th century. Kubrick began working on a script shortly after completing 2001: A Space Odyssey in 1968. He traveled to France, Britain and Romania, collecting over 17,000 Napoleon-related artifacts. He even planned to use 30,000 members of Romania’s army for vast battle scenes.

>Unfortunately, sky-high costs and other factors delayed the film’s production indefinitely. As a result, Napoleon was infamously dubbed “the greatest film never made.”

>Recently, Kubrick’s family opened his archives to HBO and signed off on the network’s plans to finally complete Napoleon. In addition to Fukunaga, HBO has hired David Leland (The Borgias) to finish Kubrick’s script. Kubrick’s estate will also have a hand in production.

Get fucking hyped
>>
>>70063857
Hype Level: Infinite
>>
I hope they can pull it off. I doubt it though.

When is The Young Pope coming?
>>
>>70063857
This has me hype almost as much as when I heard PTA was doing a Pynchon novel.
>>
>>70063857
holy shit /his/ here and this would be really cool if they did it right.
>>
File: 1444448198199.jpg (721 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
1444448198199.jpg
721 KB, 2592x1944
Im ready bruhs-
>>
File: Confirmed for Autism.jpg (754 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Confirmed for Autism.jpg
754 KB, 2448x3264
>>70063857
Its like actual dreams I've had are coming true.
>>
>>70063857
Hyped as fuck, but why a miniseries?
>>
is this real life?
>>
File: fat black kid dancing.gif (2 MB, 175x192) Image search: [Google]
fat black kid dancing.gif
2 MB, 175x192
>mfw
>>
>>70063857
>He traveled to France, Britain and Romania

The sedentary control freak? Bullshit.
>>
>>70064111
And we all know how well that turned out.
>>
>>70065130
me on the left
>>
>>70063857
HYPED. Like this is perfect.

Please do a Dune miniseries next HBO
>>
>>70063857
I wonder how much how much SJW revisionism HBO will stick into this one.

>Napoleon was actually a weak male figure head who was advised by his wife while his men where commanded by a African immigrant to France.
>>
>Source says Fukunaga is "in talks" to direct

Don't get hype yet.
>>
Why do people want this? I'm even a fan of AI, which Kubrick wanted Spielberg to direct in the first place, but this? Judging from what I know, this is a script that would only be fully realized by Kubrick's sensibilies and grandiose talent. Spielberg will give it the gravity of a historical dramatization, and make weighty schlock.

I was hoping the whole project was scrapped years ago. Barf. Fuck Spielberg, and fuck anyone looking forward to this as if it's "finally happening."
>>
>>70065503
"SJW" shit has never affected anything that was ever going to be good in the first place.
>>
>>70065297
Yeah it went great. A fantastic adaptation.
>>
>>70063857
Hey, remember when AI came out and it was fucking terrible?

>Kubrick
HUMANS ARE DOOMED WE'RE ALL TERRIBLE
>Spielberg
HUMANS ARE GREAT, WE HAVE CHILDLIKE JOY

These two styles are not meant to go together.
>>
>Spielberg
So it'll be a sappy 7/10 at best.

>Fukunaga
And it'll have some good-looking shots, maybe even "foreboding" ones.

Overall, big fucking deal. Kubrick's would've been far superior to this one.
>>
>>70065645
what are you on about autist
>>
>>70065528
This. Spielberg's liable to put at least one overtly melodramatic scene in it, like in Bridge of Spies when the East Germans trying to defect get shot conveniently in full view of the protag, although the movie was decent overall.

This will in no way carry the intrigue and artfulness that a Kubrick film would. It will carry the intrigue typical of Oscar bait.
>>
>>70065662
>Kubrick's would've been far superior to this one.
Obviously, but seeing as he's dead this will hopefully be better than nothing.
>>
Who do you think they're going to get for Napoleon? Will they go down with the 2000 miniseries route and hire a frenchman to be Napoleon with the zypical ze fweench ascent?
>>
it is meaningless to have the name kubrick attached to this, like it was with AI.
>>
>First AI
>Now this
Why is Steven Spielberg so obsessed with raping Kubrick's legacy?
>>
>>70065975
I would be hype for a Napoleon miniseries regardless
>>
>>70065920
Spacey as Napoleon.
>>
>>70066116
No, let's do like the Hamilton and have the WU WAZ KAANGS AN' SHIT in all the main roles for the sake of equality, even if Josephine nor Napoleon were black themselves
>>
>>70065920
Jean DuJardin would be good if they wanted an actual frenchman
>>
>>70065920
Idris Elba, obviously, if they aren't racist nazis.
>>
>>70063857
pls don't fuck this up
>>
Fukanaga will give us a masterpiece if Spielberg doesn't fuck it up.
>>
>>70065662
>hating spielberg

reddit fuck off
>>
File: 1459921912985.jpg (24 KB, 193x199) Image search: [Google]
1459921912985.jpg
24 KB, 193x199
>>70065920
>mfw Napoleon is played by a black transexual
>>
JJ Abrams should direct. He can make 2 hour plus films feel more like they're 90 minutes long. He's just that good.
>>
>>70066653
His films are so insubstantial they actually evaporate before your very eyes, hence why they end up shorter than the runtime.
>>
>>70065645
Spielberg's AI is smarter than people think. It's a pretty depressing film.

But AI was also designed to be an emotionally manipulative fairy tale, covered in, as Kubrick put it, "vaginal jelly." Napoleon is nothing like this. It doesn't belong near Spielberg or any other director for that matter. Let it die a legend.
>>
File: 1405732298751.jpg (134 KB, 444x1430) Image search: [Google]
1405732298751.jpg
134 KB, 444x1430
>>70063857
>miniseries by Spielberg

It's already destined for mediocrity
>>
>>70066873
band of brothers was great
>>
>>70066586
I don't hate him. A lot of his movies, especially of late, are just "good" though, nothing more.
>>
>>70064077

Either before or after Westworld in the fall. So September or December.
>>
Fukunaga still has 2 more projects to do before he even begins this one. One for TNT and then the Netflix one with Jonah Hill/Emma Stone next year.
>>
>>70063857

>napoleon
>hbo

Will he fuck a woman every 5 minutes as it happens in every other HBO series?
>>
>>70068193
They'll probably make it men because the French revolutionist were progress.
>>
>>70063857

I know this is going to sound crazy but just hear me out...

Lena Dunham as Napoleon
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.