[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does film criticism still have a place in the modern world?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: rotten.png (14 KB, 204x198) Image search: [Google]
rotten.png
14 KB, 204x198
Does film criticism still have a place in the modern world?
>>
>>70052117
Aggregate sites I don't trust because they can be manipulated.
I prefer seeing interviews and have the host discuss calmly about the highs and lows of a film in a good analysis of it.
>>
>>70052117
Nope

Proof:
>BvS
>Warcraft
>>
>>70052117
Yes but only in mass. 1 review means nothing, unless it's Armond's or Kermode's.
>>
>>70052161
this

That's why RLM is so good.
>>
>>70052163
But warcraft is shit and BvS was the pinnacle of capekino.
>>
>>70052189
They're massive plebs.
>>
>>70052298
No anon, you just don't like their opinions. Pleb means nothing. At best, you might have seen a couple more films than them, maybe? Doubtful though, that's pretty much their job.
>>
File: 14642407907140.jpg (119 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
14642407907140.jpg
119 KB, 880x660
>>70052189
>this

>That's why RLM is so good.
>so good
>>
>>70052338
>At best, you might have seen a couple more films than them, maybe? Doubtful though, that's pretty much their job.

RLM doesn't watch films. They only review flicks.
>>
nope

film critics died for me same time as supemran
>>
>>70052117
Yes, but the expectations of criticism need to be significantly overhauled.

GOOD criticism is less about stating unequivocally whether or not the reader is going to like the film or not, and more about giving an analysis of the film that suggests whether or not it's worth seeing so that you can form your own opinion. I personally only use RT as an aggregate consensus of whether or not to shell out $12. I don't take it as a statement on the actual quality of the movie.

A lot of critics have also forgotten that imo. After all, criticism IS just an opinion, no matter how erudite the critic, if you presume to make a definitive statement on whether a movie is "good" or "bad". And in the internet where every voice rings equally loud, every one thinks one opinion is just as good as any other.
>>
film itself doesn't have a place in the modern world. kids play retarded videogames, watch let's plays of retarded videogames, use social media, and watch instagram/vine/youtube videos now. film is old fashioned.
>>
Yes

But this aggregate review meme is an affront to society

You know the 'gamification' of film? How about the gamification of film criticism

Imagine a fucking world where production is actually affected by required minimum review scores

This world where criticism is reduced to 2 sentence blurbs and giant number to 'universally' brand a film as good or bad. I immediately question the morality, intelligence and empathy of anyone that brings up Rotten Tomatoes in film discussion
>>
>>70052117
It could, but today you have literal who that watch movies and write the crappiest reviews imaginable. If you remove these people I probably wouldnt mind.

What Jake, 24 who writes for free for a "online paper" thinks I dont want to know
>>
Never cared about reviews, arrogant and pretentious mostly. Imdb rating is a decent enough indicator for me, whenever I'm on RT I just go back to imdb.

ps: reminder that Batman V Superman is absolute shit
>>
>>70052230
>capekino
>cape
>kino
choose one
>>
>>70052357
Yes, you don't have to repeat what I just wrote.
>>
>>70052117
Not if the "critics" are white males.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.