[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 1200x630
I can't stop watching this movie.
>>
>>70019863
It's good. Very impressive debut.
>>
>>70019863
It's normal to not be able to stop looking at train wrecks.
>>
File: 1464143866830.jpg (63 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1464143866830.jpg
63 KB, 960x720
thomaSIN!!!
>>
>>70019926
>>>/v/
>>
>>70020001
>>>/lgbt/
>>
dont insult it by calling it a movie anon. its a film.
>>
bullshit ending. one moment shes a Jesus loving pure soul, next moment shes a Devil fucking harlot because shes'll get some butter and a dress.

fucking garbage.
>>
>>70019863

Best movie of 2016

Going to have to watch it again without the hardcoded subs now it's been released on blu ray
>>
>>70020813

Except that her whole family is dead and she has nothing. Everything about the story is leading her to that moment.
>>
>>70020813
Are you retarded? You can see the hints of disdain during the entire movie.
>>
What does the title card say? "A New England Folktale". It's not meant to be ambiguous or complicated. Think of it like you're being told a story at bedtime or in a classroom. The movie has a very straightforward lesson.

What's the first scene in the movie? William think he's better and more pious than the village counsel, and says he's happy to be banished. This leads directly to his baby being kidnapped. He ignores this and ignores that his wife is beside herself with misery because of his actions.

The movie is mostly a catalogue of his lies and hypocrisy and how his poor example spreads to the rest of the family. He lies constantly, about the cup, about hunting, and encourages also his son to lie, even as he tells him to memorize how his soul is riven with sin. Even his baby is filled with sin, in his mind, yet the sin we witness is his constant hypocrisy.

Things spiral out of control. The children accuse each other, but only because they've learned how to lie for their own safety when convenient, and out of a sense of real danger that their parents will harm them if they're found to be consorting with the devil. They're right to turn on each other! It's only natural in a house as mad as this.

The father dies, killed by Black Phillip. Why does he accept his death? "Corruption, thou art my father".

And so Thomasine, left with nothing, turns to the only source of authority and shelter left to her: the evil present in the house. But they had every chance to turn away from evil, to scorn hypocrisy. They didn't.

So what's the moral of the story? False piety is no substitute for moral substance. Very straightforward, very unambiguous.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_040035.jpg (44 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_040035.jpg
44 KB, 411x411
Dost thogh like atmospheric horror movies?
>>
File: phil-00.jpg (151 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
phil-00.jpg
151 KB, 612x380
>>70019863
>I can't stop watching this movie.
What dost thou want?
>>
File: vvitch-00.jpg (120 KB, 1792x1080) Image search: [Google]
vvitch-00.jpg
120 KB, 1792x1080
>>70020813
>one moment shes a Jesus loving pure soul,
She was never pure. Thomasin was vvitchcraft sensitive (high midichlorian count). She just didn't know how to use her power. And since JJ Abrams didn't direct the movie, the female character had time to develop her abilities.

>Black Phillip, I conjure thee to speak to me.
>>
>>70020813

Except one of those moments was the very start of the movie and one of those moments is the very end. If you don't notice the continous down turn you're an idiot.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.