[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /tv/s thoughts on Charlie Brooker?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 19
File: Charlie-Brooker-006.jpg (23 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Charlie-Brooker-006.jpg
23 KB, 460x276
What are /tv/s thoughts on Charlie Brooker?
>>
>>70005302
that is the ugliest lesbian I've seen all day
>>
>>70005462
stop looking at your mum then
>>
Used to make fun of media bullshit, now he's part of it.

Went full Guardian SJW.
>>
>>70005302
Lawrence Fishburne got transracial surgery and a cheap wig.

Also, get the fucking finger out on more Black Mirror.
>>
>>70005302
Only word that comes to mind is "cunt", I consider him in the same crowd as that unfunny dickhead Stewart Lee.

I'll be honest, I don't know how fair that assessment is.
>>
>>70005580
>[citation needed]

I know he used to do a column for the Guardian but I don't recall him coming across as an SJW.
>>
>>70005462
kek
>>
>>70005580

Does he consciously identify as a leftist SJW feminist? Has he ever taken a public stance on feminism.
>>
>>70005737
Wow, you just have the shittest taste.

>>70005791
The guy's speaking loosely because he's a bit dim. Basically Brooker used to spend a lot of time mocking celebrities, but not so much anymore. He explained somewhere, I forget if in an article or on a show, that he found it hard to keep doing that now that he's professionally obliged to regularly meet people in that position.

The "SJW" thing specifically, I dunno. He's pretty liberal and whatnot, but I'm not an edgy teenager so that's not a problem for me. I remember he has spoken dismissively of social-media-based moralising.
>>
>>70005864
>shittest taste.

Not really, "political" "humour" in the style of saying-an-opinion-the-audience-agrees-with just isn't appealing to me.
>>
>>70005900
>Not really

Yeah, really.
>>
He's gone downhill ever since he got married and had a child, but consider he married Connie Huq I can't blame him in the slightest.

Every now and again I'll watch every episode of Screenwipe and the world seems better.
>>
>>70005927
>>70005864

shut the fuck up and go read the guardian and prep your wifes bull you fucking cuck
>>
>>70005927
Hey, I already said I don't know if the assessment is fair, but if you're saying the brand of humour of literally saying something the audience agrees with is somehow patrician you're probably a retarded Guardianista
>>
>>70006092
>i already said i have literally no idea what i'm talking about, but if you're saying something you're clearly not saying then something something The Guardian

OK then, good chat.
>>
DEL BOY STEW
>>
>>70006137
>>70005927
>>70005864
>that salty left-wing venom

I can feel the heat of your frustration through my laptop screen m80
>>
>>70005302
>muh dystopia

Hack.
>>
>>70005991
Newswipe was great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHun58mz3vI
>>
>>70006226
>if your setting is the future you are bad

why bother breathing?
>>
Last good thing he did imo was "How TV Ruined Your Life", six half-hour shows about pretty much everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeBcvHhA9M&list=PL-90rsvOyWt6OlZOhOWfqw9NCOz7-vHeJ
>>
Strikes me as a poor-man's Chris Morris with an agenda, but I don't really give a shit about BBC luvvies desu
>>
>>70006270
Fuck off Charlie, you're a hack.
>>
>>70006306
He actually wrote for Brasseye and worked with Morris on Nathan Barley.
>>
>>70005737
Stewart Lee is capable of being funny he's just a bit of a cock (I know it's all part of it, I'm not smart enough).
>>
>>70006246
It really was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO52SMQB7tE
>>
>>70006348
Nathan Barley was so ahead of its time. It may not have been the funniest but it predicted so many things.
>>
File: hurrrrr.png (242 KB, 755x558) Image search: [Google]
hurrrrr.png
242 KB, 755x558
>>70006194
>i fantasise about meaning something to someone
>anyone

That's a shame.
>>
>>70005580
>being this retarded
>>
I still like him. He has become sanitised, but at least he gave us Adam Curtis, and Filomena Cunk.
>>
>>70005302

Should have been hired to write the Robocop remake with Neil Boomclap directing.
>>
>>70006348
> Nathan Barley

Morrisfags at the time hated Nathan Barley, we thought it was watered down Chris Morris at best, like he was doing something deliberately mainstream

Now people consider it based as hell
>>
>>70006490
>writing articles crying about online misogyny
>putting Anita Sarkeesian in his video game show
>not a Guardian SJW
>>
>>70006454
I can see that you're in a state of incoherent rage, go read the HuffPost for a few minutes and calm down
>>
DUDE FUCK WHITE PEOPLE
>>
>>70006561
>Morrisfags at the time hated Nathan Barley

Yeah I found it disappointing at the time, but I came to appreciate it on a rewatch. I was a fan of Brooker's TV reviews but wasn't aware of the history of Nathan Barley with the trashbat.co.ck stuff.
>>
>>70006571
[citation needed]
>>
>>70006602
when did he say that?
>>
>He was outside the mainstream and his content was authentic and had an interesting angle
>Gained popularity and essentially became what he was initially criticising.
>Hypocrites don't get no respect.

/thread
>>
>>70006806
>he is successful
>i dont like him
>>
>>70006806
>circumstances and perspective change
>hypocrite
>>
File: cuntpic.jpg (21 KB, 201x269) Image search: [Google]
cuntpic.jpg
21 KB, 201x269
>>70006657
Man it was a weird time in retrospect. I read TV Go Home back in the day (I think I found out about it via the old NTK email newsletter, fuck knows) and years later when Nathan Barley was announced as the new Chris Morris project people thought Morris was over

I still remember thinking how weird it was that a Chris Morris project was actually advertised
>>
>>70006842
Successful yes, but does he still uphold the valid criticisms of the celebrity culture he used to make? Something tells me he's softened his approach now that he's mingling with them.

>>70006843
Only a hypocrite by his initial work, of course. If you think that his initial work has no valid points or moral basis, then sure, you could consider it a perspective change. But if you actually agreed with what he used to criticise about TV and how he's now apart of that problem, maybe you'd call him a hypocrite too.
>>
>>70006940
>Only a hypocrite by his initial work, of course.

No, dude, you're using the word 'hypocrite' wrong. If I used to be an atheist and then became a Christian, I'm not 'a hypocrite'. I'm someone who's changed their mind. You see?
>>
he uses the expression "a bunch of white people" as a pejorative term in almost every episode.

>not SJW i swear!
>>
>>70007055
>If you think that his initial work has no valid points or moral basis, then sure, you could consider it a perspective change. But if you actually agreed with what he used to criticise about TV and how he's now apart of that problem, maybe you'd call him a hypocrite too.

k.
>>
>>70007175
>>70007055
>No, dude, you're using the word 'hypocrite' wrong.
>>
File: NathanBarley.jpg (28 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
NathanBarley.jpg
28 KB, 625x352
>Nathan Barley

Could somebody explain what makes this program so good or whatever? Why do people like it so much?
>>
File: ff.png (158 KB, 510x323) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
158 KB, 510x323
>>70006806

>Hypocrites don't get no respect.
>don't get no

So...they get respect?
>>
He used to be alright then he went a bit SJW and hasn't been the same since he got married
>>
>>70007272

Because it's Chris Morris. If Chris Morris makes something it's amazing.

How dare you question that.
>>
File: konnie-huq-457-e4adf706.jpg (21 KB, 300x434) Image search: [Google]
konnie-huq-457-e4adf706.jpg
21 KB, 300x434
>>70007363

This.

He's married to Konnie Huq by the way (the former Blue Peter presenter).
>>
>>70007272
It mostly rests on the classic trope of the successful idiot versus the talented failure. If you buy that, or at least, if you buy this instance of it, you're more or less sold.

People get a bit wanky over the possibly-maybe semi-autobiographical aspects of the Dan-Dan-the-preacher-man stuff, I'll grant you. But wankers just wanky over stuff, fish gotta swim.
>>
>>70005302
this guy was my idol when I was around 20.

When he started doing his weekly wipes is when I think I went off him slightly. just seemed to have lost his edge, ran out of things to say. He went from the cynical commentator to the family man.

He has got more progressive it seems, he says something like 90% of all TV is made for me,I think he was talking about page 3 or something.

Black Mirror is great though
rewatching Screenwipes is always comfy.
>>
>>70006454
Ouch.
>>
the black mirror episode 15 million merits episode was like an allegory for charlie brooker himself

once he used to question media narratives and the trivial nonsense in the news but as soon as he became part of the left wing media elite, he stopped caring.
>>
File: Chris_Morris_2010.jpg (3 MB, 2634x3617) Image search: [Google]
Chris_Morris_2010.jpg
3 MB, 2634x3617
>>70007364
whats wrong with his face?
>>
>>70007530
Acne scars, I think.
>>
>>70007272
It's mostly remembered now for being insanely fucking prescient. He was doing vlogs and social networking before it was a thing.

If there's any proof of Time Travel it's Charlie "wouldn't it be funny if the prime minister fucked a pig" Brooker
>>
>>70007447
>>70007272
>>70006806

We should've seen it coming really. He points out a similar progressions in other figures on his old screenwipe, when he mentions the film Network. He was so cynical he didn't exclude himself, he was never 'rebel for life'.

Not sure what else he could've done really, shun mainstream telly? retreat to podcasts or something, end up recycling the same commentary over and over with a small audience?

He made the right choice for himself he now gets to create Tv shows like Black Mirror.
>>
>>70007420
Konnie is pretty based though.

She did a 4chan hangout for King of the Nerds.
>>
>>70007570
Better yet, he should have maintained outwardly that nothing had ever changed and he was still the outsider boy etc. And the plebs whinging ITT would probably have bought it.
>>
>>70007272
WELL FUTILE
>>
>>70007517
This. I also think that's the best Black Mirror episode thus far.
>>
>>70007628
yeah, I'm aware when we call him an outsider, it was always relative (an outsider compared to other TV stuff).

He got a show on BBC three, he can't really be a full outsider to do that. He even pointed that out at times
>>
>merits >white xmas >be right back >tehoy >white bear >national anthem >waldo moment

thats mine anyway
>>
>>70007797
>tehoy >white bear >15MM > white xmas >national anthem >waldo moment

I'd have White Bear level with TEHOY but it falls down on repeat viewability. Made me think of every comment-thread war I've seen with various keyboard commandos one-upping each other over exactly how brutally certain criminals should be murdered etc.

I'd have White Xmas higher, too, but it wasn't equivocal enough, if you get me. The egg thing was just too obviously literal slavery, I couldn't see anyone deciding it was OK. Very enjoyable, though.
>>
>>70007530
>>70007530
Birth marks, used to have makeup to cover them but I guess he doesn't give a damn now
>>
>>70008024
you forgot be right back
>>
>>70005900
Lee's funniest material is his non political stuff
>>
>>70008105
Shit, I did. Somewhere in the middle, I guess.
>>
>>70008257
watched it again last night and it really made me emotional, she acted the fuck out of it too
>>
>>70008234
I don't doubt that, his political material leaves a lot of room for his other stuff to be funnier, I guess I've just never come across the latter
>>
>>70006092
>>70006194
Why do you take pride in being retarded?
>>
>>70008234
>>70008300
The thing about Lee's work is that it all melds together, so when he's complaining about getting old or whatever it's usually thematically tied to whatever political issue he was talking about fifteen minutes before that. His sets are surprisingly dense yes, that's a set-up for the Lee-hater so he can feel clever, it's all he wants, the poor lad.
>>
>>70008314
Why do you find joy in writing vague and masturbatory posts on a mongolian shit-sniffing imageboard?
>>
>>70008373
>yes, that's a set-up for the Lee-hater so he can feel clever, it's all he wants, the poor lad.

Do Leefags make a habit of writing incoherent insults?
>>
>>70008417
No, but Lee-bashers seem to have difficulty reading and understanding simple English sentences.
>>
>>70008373
It might not be so bad if his political "comedy" was something more than stating a political opinion in front of a sympathetic audience. Y'know, maybe if it was I dunno funny or something
>>
>>70008482
So what the fuck do you mean by it being a "set-up", and how does calling his sets "dense" constitute a "set-up"?
>>
>>70008381
>proud retard detected
>>
>>70005302
Used to love his stuff. Funny as fuck. Especially TV wipe, Newswipe and Gameswipe is pretty nostalgic already.

Sadly he got married and became a turboSJW. Hasn't made a good show since. DId he even do a Review of the Year this year. I didn't watch it if he did.
>>
>>70007420
DESIGNATED
>>
>Thread about a good writer/comedian turns into discussion about Stewart Lee

Shame
>>
>>70008503
Have you ever actually watched one of his sets, dude? I mean, I can think of a couple of examples of what you're probably talking about, but the comedy lies in the phrasing and the context, like the line about 'the innate racism' of the Tory party at the end of the political correctness routine.

>>70008530
>his sets are surprisingly dense
>yep heheh they're dense heheh like him heheh and like the people who like him heheh very dense indeed heheh

I suppose I overestimated you. I'll not make that mistake twice.
>>
>>70008580
>turboSJW

this has been claimed throughout this thread but Im yet to see a shred of evidence. Is it just because his wife is brown?
>>
>>70008619
So you thought you could apply the word "dense" (in the meaning, used exclusively for people, of "stupid") to an abstract concept in order to invite a double meaning to the phrase "his sets are surprisingly dense". Wow, you're fucking dense.
>>
>>70008738
No no. I seem to remember his Review of the Year for I think 2014 pissing me off. I don't remember why.
>>
>>70008738
He is a liberal and he's basically pro-diversity or whatever. When /pol/tards say "SJW" they really basically mean anyone who's not a /pol/tard. And yeah, he's not a /pol/tard, so big-time SJW, basically.
>>
>>70008783
>i literally don't understand how puns work
>my opinion on this stand-up comedian is worthwhile and should be listened to
>>
Love Black Mirror, he wrote a funny piece for last week's The New Yorker. In a rush so no greentext:

Dancing. Ban dancing. Break its legs and bury it. And don’t make me do it. Don’t make me dance. Jesus, the indignity. I’d sooner defecate on live TV than dance at your wedding.

I vaguely remember my first visit to a night club; must’ve been around 1988. I was seventeen and sober; the music was shockingly loud and my limbs had no idea what was expected of them. I tried to join in, but it was immediately clear that this was a physical language I was never going to grasp. A hundred years later and nothing has changed. People who dance voluntarily are unknowably alien to me. I don’t relate.

See, I’m awkward at the best of times. Expecting me to coördinate my movements in time to music, in what amounts to an unofficial public assessment of perceived sexual competence, is astronomically cruel. Push me onto the dance floor and I’m like a pig repeatedly losing its footing, a malfunctioning distress signal made flesh.

Dancing forces me to engage with corporeal reality. I resent it for that. Having to endure any kind of physical existence whatsoever alarms and annoys me. There are things out there that you can bang your knee on. And haircuts. You have to get haircuts. Again and again and again. It’s relentless. It’s awful. I can’t wait till some alcoholic research scientist unleashes the nanobot horde and we all get knitted into a single, superintelligent sentient gas with no dividing lines or toenails. Until then, I’m stuck here, awkward and clumsy and not knowing what to do with my face, let alone my arms and legs. So please don’t make me dance. When my parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary, I refused to dance. I felt guilty at the time. You’d think that guilt would fade, but no: it sits there, inside, undiminished, a deep black stone. This is what society has wrought. Because society keeps expecting me to dance.
>>
>>70008984
Oh, what’s that? Dance like no one’s watching? Imbecile. You fucking imbecile. I’m watching, even when I close my eyes. Watching and judging. My brain won’t wander away. It stands there with its arms folded, loudly asking me what the fuck me thinks it’s doing.

So you, at the party. Stop trying to make me dance. Cajoling. Bullying. Grabbing my arm and jerking me toward the dance floor. Do you want me to start crying? Sobbing in front of you? Is that what you want? How come this tyranny is socially acceptable?

I know the theory. They repeat it over and over: Hey, Grumpybones, just get on the dance floor. You’ll enjoy it once you’re on it.

I won’t. I’ll shift from foot to foot with the lumpen gracelessness of a deck chair unexpectedly granted the power of motion, worrying about what to do with my elbows and screaming in silence at the inside of my own face. You’ll enjoy yourself. I will not.

I know you’re worried about looking stupid, but, honestly, no one cares.

Thanks for the pep talk but I already look stupid. Sitting rigid at the periphery of the wedding, like an exile—I care about that.

Look! There’s even a guy in his seventies up there—terrible dancer, but by Christ he looks happy.

And I’d settle for that. I would. But it’s not going to happen. So go now. Leave me here to die.

Off they slink, radiating pity. And then they dance till four in the morning, guffawing like ancient kings. They’re lucky.
>>
>>70009004
Society judges the dance-averse harshly. As party poopers. Sticks in the mud. Cowards. It doesn’t help that dancing is widely portrayed as the most life-affirming thing a human body can do short of giving birth. I know you haven’t sat through a TV ad in two years, but did you realize that ninety-five per cent of all commercials now depict overweight people dancing for comic effect?

Things are worse at the movies. C.G.I. animation is a wonderful thing, but, on the downside, it makes convincing dance moves comparatively simple to create. In 1967, Disney’s “Jungle Book” animators had to painstakingly craft the “I Wan’na Be Like You” routine by hand. These days, they synch their animation software with a Spotify account, hold down the function key, and count to five while it shits out an end-credits sequence in which a trio of lovable gophers triumphantly shake their rumps to “La Bamba.” I’d rather see a cartoon end with the Zapruder footage. At least then the kids would leave the auditorium in silence.

And not one of them would be dancing. Victory.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/16/ban-dancing
>>
>>70008901
Gamergate related? He's mates with Graham Lineham (IT Crowd, Father Ted etc.) who despite his great body of work, is ultra-SJW'd.
>>
>>70005580

Since he married the indian girl from Blue Peter, I'm telling you
>>
>>70008984
>coördinate

Yep, that's the New Yorker alright. LOL. Fucking wankers.
>>
>>70008984
>he wrote a funny piece for last week's The New Yorker
Are you going to post it?
>>
>>70009024
>Glinners

I thought he was ok from all the intervies I had seen of him but then he went nuclear on that guy on twitter for saying season 3 of Father Ted was shit
>>
>>70009024
No I don't give a shit about Gamergate. Immigration or Gay Marriage I think it was about that time.

Genuinely I don't remember I just remember it being more condescending than funny and a massive dissapointment.

The youtubers who shamelessly ape his style tend to be more funny now.
>>
>>70006348
Can you please sign my petition against Cake?
>>
He named Twitter as the most influential video game of all time. The guy is an insufferable smartarse.
>>
>>70009297
It's been years since that special aired and people still can't see that it was chronological and Twitter was only "one" of the most influential games of all time.
>>
>>70009337
Then why was it presented as a numbered countdown? Regardless Twitter being on the list at all is bad enough.
>>
>>70009445
Because numbered does not automatically mean "order of best", if you watch it you'd see that everything but Twitter was listed in chronological order.

And I agree, Twitter was a shit choice and seemed more of a "look how clever I am!" pick than anything.
>>
>>70009064
he's constantly waging war on twitter. screenshots of said exchange?
>>
>>70009509
>>70009445
>>70009337
>>70009297
how is twitter a game?
>>
LOL UKIP AMIRITE
>>
>>70009551
Nobody's defending its inclusion, only that Brooker wasn't saying it was the most influential "video game" of all time. He deliberately breaks the chronological format of the show and picked fucking Twitter probably because he couldn't think of anything to put at No.1 since things like Pong, SMB, Doom came before it.
>>
>>70009536

http://www.dailyedge.ie/graham-linehan-miguel-delaney-twitter-beef-2058282-Apr2015/
>>
>>70009551
You collect bonuses by getting retweeted. You level up by getting more followers.

How is it not a game?
>>
>>70009803
Because it's twitter, twitter is not a game. I take my tweets very seriously.
>>
>>70009707
he's a cunt. plus he looks like he enjoys the smell of his own farts a little too much
>>
File: MGSV-Gameplay-Still-5.jpg (187 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
MGSV-Gameplay-Still-5.jpg
187 KB, 1000x563
>>70009923
I take killing Russian soldiers in Afghanistan in the '80s very seriously. Doesn't stop MGS being a game.
>>
>>70010035
That's because it is a game
>>
>>70010170
What about its nature makes it a game, and what about Twitter's nature makes it not a game?
>>
>>70005737
I used to really like Stewart Lee, then I watched an episode of his latest TV show entitled religion or some piss and it was the most unfunny leftist bollocks I've ever seen.

I could understand his critique the previous season of UKIP and the old Huguenots, even if I personally thought it was a gross misrepresentation, but the latest one was just complete wilful idiocy and ignorance masquerading as comedy.

Brooker went off the deep end years ago, I tuned into one of this yearly screenwipes after not hearing anything from him for a while and couldn't identify a single joke in an hour long fucking block.
>>
>>70009020
Cringe
>>
Charlie has himself commented that now he's rich and has a Blue Peter wife he's not really the same person as he was when he was broke in his 20s writing imaginary shows about celebrities jizzing on eachother for a fake TV Guide website

He's still funny though, just needs to channel his energies better. More Screenwipe would be nice...
>>
>>70009803
Double cringe
>>
>>70010602
Well, I'm glad you're suffering. That's something, at least.
>>
>>70005302

Good to see you appreciate the importance of asking for permission to like or dislike him, OP.
>>
>>70010487
>Brooker went off the deep end years ago
It is true but I still look forward to his content and think Black Mirror is one of the best british shows in recent years.

>inb4 MUH DYSTOPIA
>>
>>70005864
>muh stewart lee
>DUDE REPEATING STUFF DOZENS OF TIMES LMAO
>>
>>70010791
One of his tools, yeah. And he makes it work.
>>
>>70010690
Black Mirror is fucking trash, m8. Crap TV for people too dumb to read books.
>>
>>70005302
I find his whole aura and in particular his supposed "analyses" fairly mediocre and uninteresting most of the time.
>>
>>70011108

top 3 shows. Go.
>>
>>70007420
Lucky guy
>>
File: Tell Me About The Bait.png (314 KB, 592x588) Image search: [Google]
Tell Me About The Bait.png
314 KB, 592x588
>>70011205
See, what'll happen is, right, he'll name his top three shows, and they'll all be terrible, and then you'll say a bunch of things to him and then, finally, he'll understand that Black Mirror is actually good, and what's more, will unironically say so in this very thread. Because he's obviously prepared to engage sincerely, you can tell from his post he's up for a full, frank and honest debate.
>>
>>70011205
I enjoy schlock that knows it's schlock, not schlock that's as pretentious as possible while espousing GCSE level pop psychology about "the human condition". Black Mirror is dumb TV pretending to be smart TV for fucking idiots.

But hey, let's name some shows for a laugh, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Brass Eye. They're probably not my top 3, but they're the first 3 that come to mind while being sufficiently crowd-pleasing that you can't shit on them.
>>
File: brooker does a duckface.png (195 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
brooker does a duckface.png
195 KB, 625x352
>>70006493
Limmy and Doug Stanhope made brilliant guest appearances too.

Brooker's got great taste in comedy. His own monologues are occasionally fantastic, bordering on Chris Morris-level genius. His general smug, superior attitude is pretty cringey but I think I've seen him try to be self-effacing a few times.

Like Stewart Lee, he's very watchable and funny but a bit obnoxious when he takes himself seriously. Pic related sums him up nicely. What he's saying is funny but he's a little too comfortable posing for the camera.
>>
>>70011108
You should have said "reed books"

>lrn2troll
>>
/tv/ is a message board about THINGS that have to do with TELEVISION

Yes, in what is the most useless example of time wasting since Ed Milliband, people are routinely subjected to amateur discussions of film which is NORMALLY the sort of thing you'd have to go to university for but is now apparently given away for FREE on the internet.

It has a vibrant cast including a sort of swirly shit, an idiot, Susan Boyle's overweight brother and a token GRILL who does grill things like talk about lipstick and giggle like this nyehhehehee

Swirly shit man is in charge of starting threads, running about his bedroom and pulling a weird face like he's got a HUGE COCK in his MOUTH

Each week, this gaggle of PRICKS gather together and discuss TELEVISION as though what they're doing matters to anybody and isn't just a desperate attempt to fill time before everyone inevitable keels over DEAD
>>
>>70011370

1. season 1 and 4 are good - rest ok
2. sopranos - consistent quality but that quality is slightly above average
3. brass eye - excellent but limited

>sufficiently crowd-pleasing that you can't shit on them

at least you're honest about being a spineless faggot
>>
>>70011370
>Black Mirror is dumb TV pretending to be smart TV for fucking idiots.
>names The Sopranos as top 3 material
nice troll
>>
>>70005302
Just wish he'd get back to the old show instead of the comedy news pundit stuff, he isn't terrible at it but Screenwipe was just ace.

Still got love for the paedophile walrus but in my old age I have come to appreciate Victor Lewis Smith a bit more I'd say.

If you like the stuff that Charlie does, or his buddies like Chris Morris you need to watch TV Offal, Ads Infinitum and Inside Victor Lewis Smith.

All 3 shows are simply wonderful and an obvious influence on so much of best comedy of the 90s onwards.
>>
File: twisted fucking psychopath.png (342 KB, 627x610) Image search: [Google]
twisted fucking psychopath.png
342 KB, 627x610
>>70012553
>Victor Lewis Smith

Literally the poor man's Chris Morris.
>LOL WE HAVE FOOTAGE OF ASSASSINATIONS BEFORE THE AD-BREAK WILD AND CRAAAAAZY
>>
>>70012621
Get you facts straight VLS was around well before Morris. He was on the radio throughout the 80s and then beat him to television too.

And Chris Morris himself has been open about the influence Victor had on his radio and tv work.

So safe to say you're completely full of shit.
>>
>>70012621
>x came before y therefore x is superior to y

>did they live or are they worm-fooooood XD XD XD
>>
>>70012809
>They met in September 1988, when Morris interviewed Lewis-Smith for his regular Radio Bristol show. They didn't get along. Lewis-Smith says he gave a 'non-interview'; Morris didn't find him at all amusing and 'trashed the interview because it was useless'. When it wasn't aired, Lewis-Smith began to stew. Unconsoled by the fact that Morris was subsequently sacked by Radio Bristol for doing running commentaries over live news bulletins, he became increasingly concerned by the thought that Morris was 'stealing' his comic persona. 'Basically,' said Morris 'he got it into his head that I was somehow nicking his jokes, recasting them and chucking them out myself, which, as far as I'm concerned, would be a suicidal thing to do. He reserves the sole right to recycle his own material so frequently - I don't know why anyone else would bother.'

Yah completely open about the influence etc.
>>
File: 1457453765448.png (700 KB, 597x601) Image search: [Google]
1457453765448.png
700 KB, 597x601
2013: SJW means someone who fights against racism, sexism and forms of bigotry by using authoritarian and abusive tactics.

2016:SJW means anyone who says the word racism or sexism

seriously fuck off. your abuse of the word plays straight into ACTUAL SJW hands. They want to be the only ones associated with anti-bigotry.
>>
File: sjw.jpg (469 KB, 946x317) Image search: [Google]
sjw.jpg
469 KB, 946x317
This is required reading for people about the SJW phenom.
>>
>>70007530
He believed in Harvey Dent
>>
File: 1452370801624.jpg (174 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
1452370801624.jpg
174 KB, 600x324
>>70013396
>>
>>70012809

Well you haven't much to add now after that assblasting do you, you little faggot?
>>
>>70013795
Which one are you talking to?
>>
>>70013396
I agree with this. The term SJW is thrown around as casually as actual SJWs throw around accusations of bigotry.

I've been called an SJW by one side and a racist by the other side, and I don't consider myself either. It's getting harder and harder to find a reasonable discussion on the internet, and nearly impossible to find a sensible political discussion that isn't ridiculously polarized.

The more time I spend on the internet, especially 4chan, the more convinced I become that I'm talking to literal children.
>>
>>70013933
I'm someone who is very actively against bigotry and sexism and it forms a large portion of life. However I don't consider myself an SJW because I prefer education and dialogue over censorship and labelling.
>>
>this thread
>>>/cookdandbombd/
>>
File: polsjw.png (95 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
polsjw.png
95 KB, 600x800
>>70013933
Fuck em both

it's not even about being in the middle, it's about not even playing their game.
>>
I don't see why charlie brooker deserves any hate. He's obiously a liberal but he always insults all types of politicians in his yearly wipes
>>
>>70014478
How did you begin a line with a ">" symbol without it going green?
>>
>>70015575
>without it going green?
Or red, obviously.

Testing:
>>>/thisisatest/
>>
>>70009038
I'd go full SJW for that brown pussy desu
>>
>>70005302

Used to be funny then he got married and had a kid. Same old story.
>>
>Charlie Brooker
thought he was brilliant. Now I think hes shite.
>>
File: FUGLYsnatchedbday.jpg (26 KB, 647x434) Image search: [Google]
FUGLYsnatchedbday.jpg
26 KB, 647x434
>>70007420
>>70007420
She is a mad fucking bunny boiler apparently. She was on some reality show and she was a self obsessed bossy twat.

Think Brooker is the bottom in the whole relationship.
>>
>>70017337
This. Used to enjoy Screenwipe and his Screen Burn column back in the day too. Lost his way now though.
>>
He's very softcore edgy.

Not to the insufferable levels Frankie Boyle is but still pretty dumb at times.
>>
>>70015129
>All types of politicians
>UKIP is all types
>>
>>70005580
He was writing for the guardian years before ending up on tv. Getcha timeline straight.
>>
>>70018380
>i only remember when he insults my surrogate father figure BASED NIGEL
>i don't remember how viciously he tore Nick Clegg to shreds
>i don't remember how much time he spent talking about Ed Miliband being a robot
>i don't read, so i'm not familiar with his long-running contention that David Cameron is actually, literally a lizard person who eats children
>>
He wrote a new show thats currently on the BBC iPlayer, where Philomena Cunk does a biography of William Shakespeare.

If you can stomach 30 mins of Cunk its worth a watch.
>>
>>70019274
>30 mins of Cunk

I mean I really do like her, but small doses, I think. I'll check it out sometime I'm bored, though, cheers.
>>
His old phone prank calls were based
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdLUITmATM
>>
>>70019718
>screaming abuse at some random phonepleb

Yeah, not really his finest hour m8.
>>
>>70018561
>>70005580
The problem wasn't that he wrote for the guardian, it's that the guardian itself changed.

Believe it or not, it was once a respectable paper that you could read as being the Devil's advocate.
>>
>>70013598
Who's quote is this from
>>
File: weirdest pc gamer letter ever.jpg (457 KB, 539x1024) Image search: [Google]
weirdest pc gamer letter ever.jpg
457 KB, 539x1024
I've been a fan of his for a long time.

Good guy.
>>
>>70020997
The Guardian's been lefty as fuck since forever, going right back to the Manchester Guardian days, stop spinning these fables of halcyonic yesteryear.
>>
>>70023336
Lefty doesn't mean shit. It's perfectly possible for someone to reach a different political opinion without them being hacks.

The guardian objectively went to shit when it allowed the online segment to go unchecked, and was slowly poisoned from there.
>>
>>70023549
>he hate-reads the opinion section and nothing else

Oh, well fine, suit yourself.
>>
>>70023605
I'm sorry, I can't quite see your argument.
>>
>>70023647
There is no argument, if you're just talking about the opinion section then a) lol you and b) who cares.
>>
>>70023747
The mere fact it exists damages their journalistic integrity, since the people that write their opinions make no effort to base it in reality.

Extrapolating data in a certain way is one thing, but making it up and then complaining about it is quite another.
And yes, the likes of the Sun or Mail are no better. Except for maybe the fact that the sun doesn't even try to be taken seriously.
>>
>>70023549
Did you ever see Armando Iannucci's take on this? It's in the Armando the Adult sketch in his old TV show. Probably on YouTube now.

In short, the Guardian didn't change. We just got older
>>
>>70005580

Yes... but the reason for his change?

Konnie Huq.

He found a girl, fell in love and for the first time in his life, he was no longer an angry bitter single man, he was no longer "one of us" and became a normie.
>>
File: Lara Croft's Cruelty Zoo.jpg (277 KB, 435x618) Image search: [Google]
Lara Croft's Cruelty Zoo.jpg
277 KB, 435x618
>>70022386
That's based PC Zone, you HEATHEN.
>>
TV Go Home is pretty much the best thing he ever did.

One of the funniest publications ever printed.
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.