[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand why the family left the town, or got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (370 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
370 KB, 1200x630
I don't understand why the family left the town, or got kicked out for. Someone explain?
>>
no i don't want to
>>
The father was on trial for being prideful. I guess that was like a sin or something.
>>
>>69947327
its supposed to add to the mystery of the movie that maybe one is a witch
>>
>>69947327
Prideful conceit.

He probably disagreed with the town's interpretation of scripture and thus their rules. And he was probably a dick about it.

Man we had a great VVitch thread earlier today that I was monitoring all through work
>>
>>69947327
the viewer doesn't really need to know the specific circumstances to follow the narrative other than it involved his prideful, arrogant, and absolutist nature. make up your own reason and carry on, mate.
>>
File: thewitch.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thewitch.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Just saw it.

Literally masterpiece
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 400x601) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 400x601
>>69947700
Yep. Glad to see some discussion on this board besides politics and capeshit.
Does anyone remember how they obtain Phillip to begin with?
>>
>>69947822
I would guess they brought him from the village. Ive only seen it once but when I rewatch I'll be more observant of him.

Not sure if they had him in England and brought him over or if they bought him in the town in NE. Where was that supposed to be anyway, Plymouth?
>>
Thanks for the replys, this movie was perfect
>>
>>69948075
I really enjoyed it too. Any kind of semi-authentic colonial era stuff is really interesting to me so this movie was great.

It's pretty neat that there were little kids in the early 1600s who were living in this strange unknown land, hearing things out in the woods, having the same little kid fears that we all had. And the events in this movie was something they were distinctly afraid of.
>>
>>69948178
And I mean not neat in a "haha the kids were scared, fuck them" way. But neat in a universal human condition way.
>>
>>69947777
I feel stupid, what is that silhouette against the moon supposed to be?
>>
>>69948297
Witch on a broomstick
>>
>>69947700
lel I was doing the same thing
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10291374
http://www.strawpoll.me/10291132
>>
>>69947327
Why didn't Thomasin go back in the end and warn the town about the witches? Now they'll probably wipe out everyone else.
>>
>>69948297
A crow with it's back to you, sitting on a branch.
>>
>>69947700
>>69948437

Archive link? I will suck your dick
>>
>>69949342
Witches get burned when they stick around towns. That's why they were in the wild fucking with nomads.
>>
>>69949713
>>69909702
Just leave my dick alone please
>>
>>69949713
You can still suck my dick
>>
>>69948178
>having the same little kid fears that we all had.
And then growing up to be adults with intensified versions of the same fears and literally murdering each other over nothing.
>>
>>69949342
There are no witches. Just the Devil. Thomasin doesn't become a witch in the end, she just signs her soul over to the Devil. When she's floating away in the last scene, all the other witches she perceived have vanished and it's just her. Because there never were any other witches. Just the Devil in different forms.
>>
>>69949342
copy pasting someone else's from the last thread:

Because she had been broken down over the film.

She feels guilty over losing baby Sam. The only sibling who didn't torment her, Caleb, got lost with her and she saw him die horribly. The twins were horrid to her and then accused her of witchcraft and they were then attacked or taken or otherwise affronted by the witch.

Her mother scorned her after the loss of baby Sam, and her father let the mother treat her like crap all the while knowing he had sold the silver cup. She overheard her father and mother secretly talking about sending her away. So her father, who preached and preached, was a liar himself. He also locked her up and wouldn't believe that she wasn't a witch. Then she saw him die. Then her mother tried to kill her, and she had to kill her herself.

There was no way to go back from that.

If she went back to the plantation, the best life she could hope for (as the daughter of an outcast man whose entire family perished under mysterious circumstances) would be working as a servant. Satan offered her things she clearly missed from England (she prized the pretty glass windows so much, and he offered her luxuries like butter and pretty clothes) and gave her a freer--though sinful--life.

(I'd also add that she would have been accused of witchcraft herself.)
>>
>>69949342
because they granted her literally everything she wanted? Imagine being in a society without travel, without fucking BUTTER, without nice clothes, where you're told all those things are evil and distractions and then someone comes along and grants you all those things. It's like the magic carpet from Aladdin and more. She can travel the world and do whatever she wants without puritanical, repressed cuckkks telling her what to do and when to do it. She didn't have to marry and get impregnated by some nobody fuck just because she was a woman.

Literally why in the hell would she go back and warn people that Satan had killed her family? They would have just blamed her like her own family did.
>>
>>69949753
Love you lots. Thanks mate.

>>69949795
I was merely pretending!
>>
Director said there were witches.
>>
>>69949893
why would anyone leave england to go to 1700-1800 american anyway?
>>
>>69949978
Monarchies are for fags.
>>
>>69949978
This took place in the 1600s. The biggest migrations during that time were related to religious freedom.
>>
>>69949978
How did you not get that the characters (or at the very least, the father) were puritans?
>>
>>69949870
I just thought the other witches were not in the shot.
>>
>>69947327
this might get a little deep but

>VVitch
>VV
>W
>Witch
>>
>>69949927
They thought butter and cloths where evil?
>>
>>69949961
fag
>>
>>69949927
yeah to bad she has to go to hell now though
>>
>>69950115
yeah i know about all of that but it's still not a good trade off
>>
>>69950115
Puritans are fucking retarded
>>
why was the dad such a shit provider for his family
>>
Convinced all my friends to watch this movie. Was super excited, love period dramas. Everyone hated me when it ended anticlimatically.
>>
>>69950487
They used to persecute Puritans and other "non-conformists." It wasn't some bare HDI calculation.
>>
>>69949966
he believes in them, so yeah, there were witches
>>
>>69948297
She used the baby's blood to fly a broomstick. Loved the way they did it, how subtle it was that you kinda gotta really look to see it. If they actually showed a full image of a witch flying on a stick thatd be awful
>>
>>69949978
They rarely chose to at that time. Mostly they were persecuted or run out for being religious fanatics. Thats why so many of the early settlers were puritans.

In this sense the film is allegorical for their exile from the town/uk for the father's unwavering and regressive adherence to a doctrine that set them apart, and they were forced to strike out in thw wild/america to make a new life
>>
>>69950146
You are right. Other anon is just a bullshit theory. Common here on /tv/ to interject complex personal theories that don't exist in the film according to the author and the director.
>>
I scored the blu-ray recently. The commentary with the director (who also wrote the script) is pretty good. It BTFO a lot of the bullshit theories by all the neet faggots here on /tv/.
>>
>>69950360
>>69949927
To be fair, it's not that butter and nice clothes were evil. Thomasin's family was wearing decent clothing in the opening scene, before they had to sell basically everything to build their own house, plant crops, get the animals, etc.

It's that butter and a pretty dress were luxuries that Thomasin did not have, and with the direction her father took (taking them from a comfortable life in England, then from a somewhat comfortable life in the plantation, to bumfuck nowhere in the woods barely scraping by, and being an outcast on top of that) she would never be able to obtain them.

So what Black Philip tempted her with were the luxuries that she desperately wanted, and had no way to obtain. Living deliciously would mean she'd get to enjoy all these luxuries that were denied her.
>>
>>69950848
what theories? Is it worth watching with the commentary?
>>
>>69950561
all of my friends except one fell for the hype, complained that it wasn't scary enough, the one guy that got it thought it was great
>>
>>69949820
Maybe it isn't about nothing.
>>
>>69951017
Just all the bullshit how there are no witches, or the witches are all manifestations of the devil, etc.

Yes, the director commentary is good. He is kind of a stuttering nerd, but it really dispels a lot of the stupid things you will hear on /tv/. And he is the final authority on the matter, since he wrote AND directed it. The story is totally his.
>>
>>69950987
The dad messed everything up.
>>
>>69951169
I wasn't even aware their were theories about this movie people had... like what?
>>
>>69951227
Yep.

He got them kicked out of the plantation, he had them live on the edge of the woods, he sold the silver up without telling his wife, he took Caleb into the woods without telling her, he locked the kids in the shack, etc.
>>
>>69951312
>corn made everyone hallucinate
>witches were projections of paranoia
>they all were suffering from isolation and starvation based hysteria
>the devil created the witches as a platform with which (lol) he could tempt thomasin
>the twins were the devil

Idk, there have been heaps
>>
>>69951312
Stupid ass theories I have heard on /tv/:
Thomasin is mentally ill and imagining it all
There is only one witch
There are no witches, only manifestations of Satan

The director BTFO these theories. Sorry, the story is literal. A banished family goes to live in the deep countryside. There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven. Satan is Black Phillip (and also appears in human guise near the end). He convinces Thomasin to sign the book of Satan, entering into a contract to serve him as a witch. She sheds her clothes and enters the woods to take her place amongst the witches. The end.
>>
>>69951737
Yes, those too. All the retarded ones are coming back now. Fuck, people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>69951818
If that was the story he was attempting to present, he did a really shitty job.
>>
>>69951925
How so? Because that's exactly what happens in the film.
>>
>>69951925
But that's exactly what happens in the film you mongoloid
>>
>>69952060
By having nothing supernatural happen in such a way as it can be witnessed by more than one person.
>>
>>69951925
He actually did a perfect job to 95% of people who watched it. But there will always be that 5% who try to interject sybmolism and theories into that simply don't exist in the original text according to the author himself. You WANT to be more complicated than it is, but it JUST ISN'T.

A story doesn't have to be multi-layered or deceiving to be good. Take the Exorcist for example. A girl is literally possessed and exorcised by two priests. The end. Inb4 The Exorcist sucks. If you think that, just stop watching horror and go back to capeshit.
>>
>>69952096
Do you have autism?
>>
>>69952096
>By having nothing supernatural happen in such a way as it can be witnessed by more than one person.

That event was literally when Caleb threw up the apple and everyone's fears had been realized.
>>
>>69952173
>a delirious person regurgitating a small piece of fruit = supernatural
>>
>>69947327
dad kept fuckin his daughter
>>
>>69947700
>3holy5you
>>
This movie sucked. I thought when Caleb was mirring his sister's tits something would come of it. But nothing fucking happened.
>>
>>69947327
What is the significance of the father constantly chopping wood, and later getting buried in it?
Thomasine called him out on it being the only thing he was good at.
>>
>>69952226
dude holy fuck adam & eve and the apple you dense fuck
>>
>>69952226
>a child swallowed an apple (which did not grow in those parts) whole, and just happened to regurgitate it while screaming about being witched

l-m-a-o
>>
>>69952500
>the crabapple of knowledge

wow, what version of the bible is that from?
>>
>>69952506
crabapples are all over newengland what are you smoking
>>
>>69952346
he spent all his time chopping wood instead of properly looking after his family and their well being, and in the end he was buried in the wood he spent so much time on.
>>
>>69952506
Did the witch fuck the kid?
>>
>>69952581

ye
>>
>>69952533
>Black Phillip's Bible
>>
>>69952663
it all makes sense!
>>
>>69952317
It revealed his impure thoughts and foreshadowed his temptation by the real witch, you dangus.
>>
>>69947327
This movie was fucking disappointing. Instead of proving the backwards and superstitious christians wrong the movie instead proves them to be right. They had every reason to irrationally fear a forest, they had a reason to fear (lol) witchcraft and they should of stayed in their shitty bible camp. This movie would of been better had the witches/devil had not been real but figments of their imagination caused by their religious extremism.
>>
>>69952567
They weren't any apple trees by them. Addressed earlier in the film. Watch it with subtitles if you have trouble understanding dialogue ;)
>>
>>69952755
The film is literally called a NEW ENGLAND FOLKTALE. Folktale. Folktale. Folktale. Repeat it until you understand.
>>
File: 1464019921543.webm (1 MB, 1776x1072) Image search: [Google]
1464019921543.webm
1 MB, 1776x1072
>>69951818
>There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven.

I wanted to believe that Thomasin was a witch since the very beginning without necessarily being aware. Thomasin's oddly specific and descriptive joke about herself being a witch seemed to be telling in regards to knowledge that no one knew she possessed. Her little sister was thoroughly convinced as anyone would've been if not for truly knowing her. Even Caleb seemed haunted by her acting. Also, we never see Thomasin ever confront the witch that terrorizes her family. She's alone in the woods with Caleb when he finds the witch's home, which is possibly an illusion, as Thomasin has now taken the likeness of a beautiful, exotic figure that happens to know of Caleb's particular fascinations.

Thomasin's first contact with the witch involves time/perception manipulation where it only seems like an instant before Sam is stolen, seemingly into the woods. Perhaps Thomasin took the baby herself into the woods as she admittedly, jokingly, to her sister and gave him over to the devil herself while being manipulated all the while. It's her susceptibility to witchcraft that makes her a target and enables the witches to use her against the rest of the family.

The only witch that the family ever comes in contact with is Thomasin with the children being influenced by Black Phillip.

This is what I want to believe.
>>
>>69952830
>implying they ever actually looked

dad knew absolutely dick about living off-plantation
>>
>>69952755
I thought the point was their fears of the forest weren't irrational, just misplaced. As the head of their family had no fucking clue what he was doing.
>>
So were the twins actually witches, or at least in league with Black Phillip? Them forgetting the prayers when Caleb was sick was pretty telling IMO
>>
>>69947327
>I don't understand why the family left the town, or got kicked out for.
IQ pic for /tv/ was right.
This people can understand only capeshit and GoT.
>>
>>69951925
R E T A R D
E
T
A
R
D
>>
>>69953018
>kids panic when people are screaming at them?
>must be satan

I thought /tv/ was full of pedos you should know this shit.
>>
>>69952885
>oddly specific and descriptive joke

It wasn't, though, in the context of the times. To people in this era, witches were real, and everyone knew that is what they did.
>>
>>69947777
>Literally masterpiece
Are you retarded?

It was OK. Sadly not scary at all, never. At one point I even hoped for a jump scare because it's better than nothing.
>>
>>69953120
The baby-churning sequence was pretty horrifying. Until you realize it was just a dream.
>>
>>69953083

not only did the kids NOT panic, they pretended to be of similar illness as their dying brother which was clearly bizarre; although i'll admit, with them being so young, they may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation. the twins compulsion to stick with the act was clearly something abnormal and the father knew this to the point where he was forced to threaten their lives.
>>
File: 1463982719868.jpg (48 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
1463982719868.jpg
48 KB, 346x346
>>69952346
>buried in it
This shit was so dumb.

The pieces didn't even really fell on him, they rolled. I was chopping wood for probably a few hundred hours my life and those things aren't that heavy. They would hurt him a lot but definitely not kill him.
>>
>>69953120
I am a super fucking casual when it comes to horror movies and usually anything will frighten me but this movie while entertaining wasn't scary in the least bit. Also Thomasin had a nice ass for a white girl. Must be the Argentina in her.
>>
>>69953242
The fucking goat horn to the stomach is what killed him t. Hill billy.
>>
>>69953233
They conducted themselves as if everything was a game because they had no idea what was going on. They only got attention when they did shitty things, so they were little shits.
>>
>>69953233
The kids did panic, though. They were forcing themselves into hysteria, similar to what may have happened in other "witch trials" where victims suddenly couldn't remember prayer, or had convulsions.
>>
>>69951818
>The director BTFO these theories. Sorry, the story is literal. A banished family goes to live in the deep countryside. There are witches in the woods. One in particular terrorizes the family and they slowly recruit Thomasin into their coven. Satan is Black Phillip (and also appears in human guise near the end). He convinces Thomasin to sign the book of Satan, entering into a contract to serve him as a witch. She sheds her clothes and enters the woods to take her place amongst the witches. The end.
How did the director BTFO anyone? This is literally what the movie shows us. There is nothing to not understand about it. It's all there.

Are you guys retarded?
>>
>>69953296
How did the goat horns pierce him? They were way too curved.
>>
>>69953195
What makes you believe it was just a dream?
>>
>>69947327

This movie is a 3.5-4/4. This guy could be the next Kubrick.
>>
>>69953318
When presented with a pretty dull and perfectly straight forward movie, intelligent people tend to amuse themselves thinking of other possible meanings. As going with "the director is shit and the story is really that bland" isn't much fun.
>>
>>69953250
Why is /pol/ infested with niggers? Can't you just stay on Reddit with your degenerate behaviour?
>>
>>69953091

knowing the bible is different than having knowledge of the occult.

most would consider, even knowledge of the latter, an affront to god.
>>
>>69953383
Because after it, they establish the mother does nothing but pray all night. Implying she had that nightmare the first night the baby was gone.
>>
>>69953411
Use your words. I don't understand what you are trying to say.
>>
>>69953415
The bible specifically tells the reader to know witches, their arts, and to never suffer them.
>>
>>69953411

>Why is /pol/ infested with niggers?

I know it can be confusing sometimes since /pol/ has infested every board, but this is not /pol/. It's /tv/.

Plus, you can trust that you've been discussing a number of topics on 4chan without you being aware.
>>
I wish more christian horror would get made. Especially catholic.
>>
>>69953504
>you can trust that you've been discussing a number of topics on 4chan without you being aware.

... well that fills me with abject horror.
>>
>>69953442
So it wasn't just a dream. OK, thank you.
>>
>>69953415
>knowing the bible is different than having knowledge of the occult.
>most would consider, even knowledge of the latter, an affront to god

No, they really wouldn't have. What Thomasin said were very basic facts about witches that people in that era--especially people who came to the colonies for religious reasons--would know. Witches signed the Devil's books, witches stole unbaptized babies, etc, these were all facts that colonial New Englanders (and regular Englanders, for that matter) would have been taught.
>>
>>69953548
>you can trust that you've been discussing a number of topics on 4chan without you being aware.
>...with niggers

..is what I meant to say.
>>
>>69953580
... yea you kinda lost me. remember to articulate your leaps of logic when talking to other people, as everyone does not have identical knowledge.
>>
>>69953442
>Because after it, they establish the mother does nothing but pray all night. Implying she had that nightmare the first night the baby was gone.

Why would you think that she had to have a nightmare in order not to sleep? Her baby is suddenly missing.
>>
>>69953620
the non-nigger form is much more interesting though.

>i'm on 4chan even when I'm not on 4chan, shitposting without being aware of it
>>
>>69947327
I'm guessing that he's pissed off that the community is turning towards heathens (natives) for help.
>>
>>69953442

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ointment

This also explains how they are able to appear outside the shelter at night without the children hearing them
>>
>>69953650
because she had faith in her husband finding the baby before said nightmare.
>>
>>69950205
huh never thought about it like that...
>>
>>69947327
That doesn't look like a witch.
>>
>>69953720
>because she had faith in her husband finding the baby before said nightmare.

Where, exactly, does the film imply or say this?
>>
>>69953783
Because she followed him out there.
>>
>>69953798
What do you mean? Followed him out where?
>>
>>69953812
to the middle of fucking nowhere?

Stop texting during movies yo.
>>
Will you guys please answer this survey? I promise I'll share results and any interesting trends I find if I get ~100 responses. It's only 5 multiple choice questions. I know no one likes having to sign into google, but this is 4chan. You and I both know someone would always fuck it up otherwise.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t9cxzrjAE8uTTYCpko_BugNhGeGv9OWlDLZJN3TF2IA/viewform

>>69949342
Town was probably kind of far away. If she were going to go to town, immediately after she killed her mother would have been the best time. I think she was kind of jarred and realized her existence was probably starvation for the next few days and then death. If she had by chance made to town she probably would have been burned at the stake.

That's one of my favorite parts about this movie. The 'death' of the final character isn't a stab in the back from the bad guy. Rather, she walks into his arms willingly, with no other option to preserve her life.

>>69950487
These people were extremely religious. Imagine Americans told the Amish they were creeping everyone out, so they had to start using planes and TVs n shit. Many would try to move instead of integrate.

>>69952226
>>69952096
The twins and Thomasin all saw the witch in the barn sucking the white goat's blood. The twins both said Philip talked to them. It would be pointless to have the mother's dream be fake because the audience also saw the reality (no caleb/sam, just the bird). There was no apple tree form which the apple could have come.

>>69952346
When he should have been running back to town with them to get away from the spooky shit going down, he instead essentially did nothing.
>>
>>69953839
You aren't making any sense.

The baby disappeared AFTER they moved. So how can you say she "had faith in her husband finding the baby before said nightmare" because she moved to the woods with him, when the baby didn't disappear until they were settled in?
>>
>>69953663

>Some sources (such as The Botany of Desire) have claimed that the ointment is absorbed best through mucous membranes, and that it was possibly applied to a special dildo that was inserted in the vagina.[2]

dildo fucking broomsticks?! well that explains those convulsions the witches seemed while having the sticks between their thighs.
>>
>>69949722

they knew how to deal with feminists back then
>>
What does the title card say? "A New England Folktale". It's not meant to be ambiguous or complicated. Think of it like you're being told a story at bedtime or in a classroom. The movie has a very straightforward lesson.

What's the first scene in the movie? William think he's better and more pious than the village counsel, and says he's happy to be banished. This leads directly to his baby being kidnapped. He ignores this and ignores that his wife is beside herself with misery because of his actions.

The movie is mostly a catalogue of his lies and hypocrisy and how his poor example spreads to the rest of the family. He lies constantly, about the cup, about hunting, and encourages also his son to lie, even as he tells him to memorize how his soul is riven with sin. Even his baby is filled with sin, in his mind, yet the sin we witness is his constant hypocrisy.

Things spiral out of control. The children accuse each other, but only because they've learned how to lie for their own safety when convenient, and out of a sense of real danger that their parents will harm them if they're found to be consorting with the devil. They're right to turn on each other! It's only natural in a house as mad as this.

The father dies, killed by Black Phillip. Why does he accept his death? "Corruption, thou art my father".

And so Thomasine, left with nothing, turns to the only source of authority and shelter left to her: the evil present in the house. But they had every chance to turn away from evil, to scorn hypocrisy. They didn't.

So what's the moral of the story? False piety is no substitute for moral substance. Very straightforward, very unambiguous.
>>
File: 1428271152169.png (220 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1428271152169.png
220 KB, 499x499
>>69949820
>yfw when this has happened literal millions of times over the course of human history
>>
>>69951925
What a bad opinion mang
>>
>>69953897
You seem to have difficulty comprehending visual and written information.

I'm really not sure how I can more clearly explain what I'm saying than how you, yourself have already. I'm not sure what you're missing.

>they move out to the middle of nowhere
>she has faith in god and her husband that shit will work
>baby disapears
>she still has faith in god and her husband
>dream of delicious churned baby
>faith gone
>>
>>69953933

Yeah I caught that upon rewatch. Pretty sure one of the witches used it to look young again and seduce her brother too.
>>
File: frodo.png (325 KB, 560x559) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325 KB, 560x559
>>69947327
Why didn't they just kill the witches. They didn't know any offensive spells.
>>
>>69947777
The brother was a horny fuck.
>>
>>69953353
>How did the goat horns pierce him? They were way too curved.

This is actually a good point, although I think that it's somewhat irrelevant given how the scene was directed. The movie clearly wants you to believe that Satan, in goat form, stabbed the father regardless of its seeming impossibility. The goat has horns and rammed the father in such a way as to gouge out his guts.
>>
>>69953442
That's not at all an implication. I suppose it ALLOWS for what you're suggesting, but it absolutely does not imply it.
>>
>>69954099
The goat didn't ram, the goat specifically gored the father.
>>
>>69954030
You said that the film depicted the mother as having faith her husband would FIND THE BABY before the "nightmare" occurred. When asked where in the film this is ever depicted or even implied, you said that she "followed him out there." The baby disappears after they are already there. The film never depicts the mother in any capacity as losing her faith that her husband would find her baby because of a dream or nightmare. You're projecting information that doesn't exist into the film.
>>
>>69953442
>after it, they establish

No... they established that the mother is hysterical and praying night and day for her baby. They do not establish that she had a nightmare about Sam, the first night the baby was gone or otherwise. There is nothing in the scene to suggest it's a dream or hallucination.
>>
File: 0000.jpg (68 KB, 440x500) Image search: [Google]
0000.jpg
68 KB, 440x500
Oh now I remembered where I saw that guy...
>>
>>69954237
Dude, yea, I really can't figure out what you're not understanding about a pretty clean sequence of events. I'm really not sure how I can explain "follwing husband: faith is high, baby disapears: faith still high, nightmare: faith level critical" in a different way. Your dysfunction of comprehension isn't showing itself.
>>
>>69947631
pride is a sin
>>
>>69954398
>clean sequence of events

The problem is that you are inserting something into those events that does not exist in the film.

There is no depiction of Katherine with her "faith still high" about William finding the baby, nor is there a depiction of her having a nightmare, and losing faith because of it.
>>
>>69953442
Your entire theory rests upon the assumption that what happened the first night was a nightmare. When she actually has the dream of caleb returning later on, the director shows us it's a dream by giving us the objective shot showing her getting pecked at by the bird.

Your theory would also require that Thomasin is also insane about the events in some way. That's not a normal way to go missing.
>>
What is up with the shilling of this movie on /tv/?
>>
>>69954783
It's not shilling. Maybe some of the forced memes are, but in general it's just a great movie that makes me a little more hopeful for the film industry.
>>
>>69954633
>puritans having extreme faith in god and by extension their husband is not present in a film about puritans in america during the 1600s

... yea I really don't know what to say.
>>
>>69954745
>the director shows us it's a dream by giving us the objective shot showing her getting pecked at by the bird.

The only way a director can show an "objective" shot is by having a secondary witness to the events. The bird pecking her tit is just as easily explained by the dream being shifted by her conscious awareness that her children were dead.

the "oh they're alive! ... wait, no they aren't" is a pretty standard dream for anyone in mourning.
>>
File: thewitchredwitch1.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchredwitch1.webm
3 MB, 640x480
there's an absurdly lack of webms being posted.

a remedy must be found!
>>
>>69955115
yet nothing you said shows that it was a dream sequence. hell, watch the film with director commentary on. you might just learn something!
>>
>>69955177
the director himself explains the bird, dear. the bird is the witch's familiar, they feed off blood from teats. they trick the mother by having it assume the shape if the baby.
>>
>>69955471
>the director

Do I really need to cite death of the author on 4chan?

Or are you just so intellectually lazy you're happy with the explanation "the directors a hack and the movie really is that straight forward and bland?"
>>
>>69955177
this would literally be going full inception dream-within-a-dream. The mother is 'lucid' when she is in her dream, ie. she's acting how she normally would, happy to see her lost children. So you're claiming when it switches to the bird view, now the mother is crazy in her dream? She's laughing while be pecked at? I'm going to bed, but you're theories are batshit crazy, man.
>>
File: thewitchredwitch2.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchredwitch2.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>
>>69955426
> nothing you said shows that it was a dream sequence.

Because that wasn't the subject of debate.

The fact it was a single character sequence gives the impression it was a dream sequence. Then events surrounding it further imply it was a dream sequence.

I mean, yea, "the directors a hack and the movie really is that straight forward and bland" is a lot more likely, but fuck the author.
>>
>>69955571
You've never had a dream shift to a third person perspective, where you're watching things happen to you?

I mean, even if you haven't, its a well established type of dream.
>>
>>69955115
That's not what was said. you are one if the reddit tier assholes the director is slamming by debunking your ridiculous shit left and right.
>>
>>69955641
so the whole film is a dream!! omg thank u for such an amazing film theory, do you study???
>>
File: thewitchredwitch3.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchredwitch3.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>
>>69955859
>if you don't accept my stupid interpretation then you must accept another stupid interpretation

so we're done? we done.
>>
>>69955818
Dude, you just said nothing implied characters in the movie had faith in god and now you're trying to weasel out of that by hiding behind the director.

I mean fuck.
>>
File: thewitchredwitch4.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchredwitch4.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>
>>69954326

wow nice! i was wondering where i'd seen his face before!
>>
File: thewitchmother1.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchmother1.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>
>>69950146
They werent in the shot and other anon is a moron.
>>
>>69954326
He was also douchebag Finchy on the UK office. The man has range.
>>
>>69952346
remember how he said "we will conquer this wilderness" toward the beginning where they begin their descent into the woods?

That's a reoccurring theme, through some of the shots showing nature literally overwhelming the characters. The father chopped wood as his way of dealing with his guilt. It's almost like letting off steam from something that's really getting under your nerves. That 'something' was his sin of pride that he ultimately confesses to the night before he gets rekt, and it's symbolic that he gets buried in all the wood that he chopped after you understand it that way. Nature conquers man, and Puritan logic is that man's nature is sin.
>>
File: thewitchthomasin1.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchthomasin1.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>
File: thewitchthomasin2.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
thewitchthomasin2.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>Think you're really righteous?
>Think you're pure in heart?
>Well, I know I'm a million times as humble as thou art
>>
>>69952346
The wood/wood chopping represented his male pride, pride was his sin. This is repeated throughout the film.
He was, literally, buried under the weight of his sins.
>>
>>69959297
You are quoting nearly word for word from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86mDPE1le9E

0/10 Sit down and do you own homework next time.
>>
>>69959118
post her ass

i still havent seen it but have heard good things
Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.