[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>John Hughes read the novel and attempted to write a screenplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: walllflower.jpg (8 KB, 185x273) Image search: [Google]
walllflower.jpg
8 KB, 185x273
>John Hughes read the novel and attempted to write a screenplay after he got the rights from Chbosky; he never finished the screenplay. Hughes was going to use the project as a directorial comeback with more of a dark comedy style. He had in mind particular actors while writing the screenplay, namely, Shia LaBeouf as Charlie; Kirsten Dunst (The Virgin Suicides) as Sam; and Patrick Fugit (Almost Famous) as Patrick.

Would you have watched this instead of the movie it eventually became?
>>
>>69946631

Yes

This one was Reddit: The Movie
>>
>>69946797
Tumblr: the movie

If it was reddit, it would be Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy again as Patrick
>>
Yes. The trailer always gave me 500 Days of Summer vibes.
>>
>This could have been John Hughes' modern magnum opus
>>
>le north shore rich high schooler film man
>not a hack
>>
The book was good, the movie was shit.
>>
>>69946830
Tom Hardy is pure /tv/.
>>
No I would only watch for best emma.

>shia
No thanks
>kdunst
No thanks (she was good in fargo tho)
>>
Hurr, we luv Bowie!

>A new Bowie song plays in the radio

The fuck? Who dat?
>>
>>69946631
>Patrick Fuggit
>>
>>69946631
If it removed none of them knowing who David Bowie is making them all look retarded and MC's surprise rape ending, maybe.
>>
>in this moment, we are infinite
might be the gayest line ever
>>
I unironically liked this movie and I do not go to Tumblr or Reddit.
>>
>>69946631
>insert high school drama tropes the movie
>make the mc as miserable as possible, so you feel sorry for him or something
>Why Paul Rudd?
This is the worst movie I've ever seen. The only movie that managed to anger me so far.
>>
>>69948966
There was no internet back than, you dipshit.
>>
>>69946631
>itt bitter neck bear permavirgins get mad because they never went on high school adventures

Stay mad plebs
>>
>>69949875
You say some pretty retarded things in high school when you try to be all existential.
>>
File: 0020hahaha.gif (228 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
0020hahaha.gif
228 KB, 300x225
My favorite part of this movie is when they couldn't figure out a way to film the main character take down a 4 big jocks so they transition into a fadeout.
>>
>>69948966
>the main guy wants to become a writer
>the literature teacher is like: "here's my favorite book of all time, it's Catcher in the fucking Rye"
>"oh, I've never heard of it!"
>he wants to be a fucking writer...
This doesn't bother you?

>>69951257
There are much more creative ways to bait people, you know, the ones that will actually make some people mad.

>>69951299
That scene was so fucking stupid I HAD a blackout
>>
I read this book in high school and I thought it was the most moving thing I'd ever read, but when I read it now, I just cringe.
>>
>>69951348
To be fair, The Catcher in the Rye is total garbage.
>>
>>69951419
That's just like your opinion, man, but it's one of the most famous ubiquitous books of the century.
>>
>>69951419
I agree with you, I mentioned it cause it's considered a 'classic', especially for adolescent teens
>>
Would make no difference people hate this movie for the plot and characters and lines directly from the book, it would have been the same fucking film.
>>
>>69951348

The kid was fourteen. That's pretty much the exact age kids learn about that book. I read endlessly from a very young age and wanted to be a writer and I wasn't aware or introduced to it until I was 13.

Moron.
>>
>>69953042
You were dead set on being a writer, had a mechanical typewriter when you were 14 and hadn't read infamous classics, huh?
>I read endlessly from a very young age and wanted to be a writer and I wasn't aware or introduced to it until I was 13.
All your post is saying that you're an equal or more of a faggot than that piece of shit character, so congratulations!
>>
>>69953210

I did own a typewriter but that was mainly because computers weren't everywhere at the time. Look at any fucking curriculum for English and Catcher is always introduced around 7th to 9th grade. He was at the exact age most people learn about this book. You sound like a jackass, do you get pissy when 14 year olds can't explain how the Treaty of Versailles crippled Germany economically? Were you reading Proust and Rimbaud at age 8?

Your complaint is asinine. Most adults haven't even fucking read CITR.
>>
>>69953653
>do you get pissy when 14 year olds can't explain how the Treaty of Versailles crippled Germany economically?
The ones who aspire to be historians? Yes.
>Were you reading Proust and Rimbaud at age 8?
No, I was reading Dickens because the thought of becoming a writer never even crossed my mind.

Here's an obscure example for you from my experience. Around 16 I started taking up jazz guitar as a hobby, guess why - I had listened to all the essentials like Pass, Burrell, Montgomery etc., the artists whose work 99% of the population wouldn't be able to fully grasp. You don't have to be 90 to appreciate things. But if you want to step into the world of creating art, you better get acquainted with some of its classics, and that book, despite me not liking it, definitely is one.
>>
>>69954114

Literally the most pretentious thing I've read in forever. I also read Dickens at that age. So fucking what the kid hadn't read Catcher yet I'm glad you're a special snowflake but guess what? He was at the exact age most kids, including those interested in writing, learn of that book. You are getting offended for no reason whatsoever. It was completely realistic and appropriate. You clearly were looking for reasons to shit on it but chose one of the dumbest.

Oh and you know, it's FICTION. And the kid was clearly a naive person.
>>
>>69954551
I'm not being pretentious, the movie is. If you think the movie was realistic in a literal or literary manner, you're the naive one and giving it too much credit. It's literally
>oh look at how depressed I am
>but not in a clinically depressed, but a COOL WAY
You know damn well what I'm talking about.

Also, that was by far the least of its problems, I was just replying to the guy who called the characters retards for not knowing Bowie.
>>
>>69954819

A teenager being depressed for silly reasons, yes how unrealistic.

Nevermind he was fucking molested by his aunt who he looked up to as his hero, nope, no legit reason for that kid to be depressed, naaah.
>>
>>69955570
>molested by his aunt
>best friend killed himself
>HULK SMASH! Bullies knocked out
This is exactly what I said in >>69951185
The character is comically miserable.
>BUT HEY, if we make him miserable because of HIS fuckups, our demo (indie hipster fucktard teens) might not find him relatable and COOL.

This is some basic expository shit. The writer makes it freaking easy for himself to mold this character into a likeable guy: NOTICE HOW EVERYTHING WRONG THAT'S HAPPENED TO HIM ISN'T HIS FAULT. Again:
>molested by his aunt
>best friend killed himself
The molestation crippled his social skills and the tiny bit of it he managed to regain by having a friend ended up by suicide of the latter (which obviously floored him completely). This is not realistic storytelling, this is artificial misery.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.