[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: Robert_Picard.jpg (33 KB, 570x548) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Picard.jpg
33 KB, 570x548
What was his problem?
>>
Jealousy
>>
He didn't.
>>
He couldn' leave the wine business.
>>
>Brother thinks he's too good to get his hands dirty and make good wine like his ancestors
>Your kid looks up to his queer uncle instead of you
>Your only son wants to go off and abandon the family farm that's been in the family for generations
Who wouldn't have a problem?
>>
>>69920635
Except he seem to bully Jean even before he went off to the academy.
>>
>>69920744
Maybe if Jean Luc would stop fucking whoring about and partying, he'd get some real work done like Papa would have liked
>>
File: XMen00.jpg (46 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
XMen00.jpg
46 KB, 630x420
>>69920455
Charles refused to let him become one of the X-men.
>>
>>69920635
well, you really can't blame Jean for the kid doing that. it was hardy like he was there to be much of an influence anyways. it really was simple jealousy and Robert wanting to have Jean there with him. also the farm was only being run for nostalgia. they didn't need to run it for profit.
>>
>>69921897
>the farm was only being run for nostalgia. they didn't need to run it for profit.
That's the same reason why anyone does anything on Earth.
It's not like there's money.
>>
>>69920455
Ro Bair was a little bit of drunk, but it is the wine "industry".
His brother rises to captaincy of the flag ship in his galactic federation's 'exploration' branch.
It's implied Jean-Luc rarely visited his family.
He had some right to be a prick but not for all the reasons he went on about.
>>
>>69922667

This is the most likely answer. I also feel that he probably felt a little bit inadequate being the younger brother to one of Star Fleet's greatest captains.

But brothers are brothers and in the end they reconciled.
>>
He died in a fire.
>>
>>69922854
Fucking Generations
>>
>>69922854
holy shit, how did I forget this?
Why would they need to write that into Generations?
>>
>>69923222
Don't forget about the flashy space photobook he had.
>>
>>69922742
He was the elder brother. He felt spiteful for having to be the grounded, responsible one in his youth, while Picard back in the day was a brash, cocky SOB who had to get humbled by some Nausicaans before he became the great man he was.

So yeah, Robert was jealous that Picard basically felt jealous that his younger brother got to do whatever he wanted and he had to stay on Earth and carry on the Picard legacy. Being the oldest of 4, I know that feel.
>>
>>69920455
He was deliberately pushing Jean-Luc's buttons so he'd come out of his shell.
>>
>>69923454
Oops, messed up that last line, but you get the gist.
>>
>>69923472
but his buttons were all gone and he wasnt wearing his borg stuff anymore..
>>
File: Flags_of_France_and_the_UK.png (19 KB, 1452x400) Image search: [Google]
Flags_of_France_and_the_UK.png
19 KB, 1452x400
So obviously Earth has been united but is it implied that France at some point in history was at least culturally swallowed up by the United Kingdom?

Why are the only two Frenchmen in the show (the Picards) the most English fuckers in the galaxy despite their names and homeland? I feel like it must have been conscious and deliberate, they very easily could have changed Picard's birthplace and first name after Stewart was cast.
>>
>>69923742
Picard was probably an anglophile.
>drank tea
>loved Shakespeare
>rejected his wine growing French heritage
You can even say that he learned to put on an English accent.
Or he had his universal translator translate his French into sounding English.

That's why Robert hated him
>>
>>69923222
You don't want to watch the captain of the Enterprise sitting in the dark, crying?
>>
>>69924055

Robert was just as English. That's my point.

I have literally never seen a genuine Frenchman in Trek despite one of the franchise leads being French and having a whole episode dedicated to visiting his home and his equally not French brother.

I was just wondering if this was ever explained
>>
>>69924149
They already did that though on TNG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOm1dKSOq1g
>>
>>69924196
Robert wasn't that English was he?
He was brash and open about his emotions.
Loved wine.
>>
File: professor94.jpg (35 KB, 442x337) Image search: [Google]
professor94.jpg
35 KB, 442x337
the picards were massive hipsters pretending to be french wine makers. fact.
>>
>>69924196
patrick stewart was cast because he had a commanding presence

they tried a few takes of him doing the opening monologue in a french accent but he sounded caricature-ish so they just had him do his normal voice.
>>
File: lb7j4h7o1lmcml7.jpg (54 KB, 454x624) Image search: [Google]
lb7j4h7o1lmcml7.jpg
54 KB, 454x624
>>69924196

Because when Roddenberry wrote Picard he wanted Gerard.
>>
>>69924196
They shaped the character around the actor. Tea and Shakespeare are very congruent with a Shakespearian actor from England. Then they had to make his brother like him, because how can two brothers have different accents and cultures?

In any case, upper lass english and upper class french have a lot of cultural mixing. Tea is considered fancy in France, wine is considered fancy in England. They blur together even more from an American perspective.
>>
>>69924055
Most people in Europe that learn English from a school class learn it with an English accent (assuming they were able to practice enough to remove their own accent ofc) because they usually get English teachers. The ones who go for more of an American accent learned English on their own or with the rare American teacher.

The Shakespeare is because of Patrick Stewart.

Earl Grey is liked by people who aren't English. My Polish mother loves the stuff.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.