[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never read the comic. Don't even bother trying to watch if you haven't.
>>
you just dont "get it"
>>
Just by watching the pilot I know more about the main character than reading the fucking comic book
>>
>The pilot episode of a show that if it does well will last 5+ seasons doesn't give away what's going on immediately thus it's incomprehensible.
/tv/ logic.
>>
>>69903325
or its just bad
>>
>>69903310
t. someone who's read the comic and is therefore biased
>>
>>69903348
It really wasn't.
But okay.
>>
>>69903250
I read the comic when it came out and only have a vague recollection of it. Will I comprehend it?
>>
File: preacher3.jpg (62 KB, 300x215) Image search: [Google]
preacher3.jpg
62 KB, 300x215
>>69906225
Read the comic numerous times.

This is very different. About the only things from the comic in the pilot are the characters and Genesis.

I actually like it. Based on the Pilot, they aren't going to follow the comic's plot at all and this will be a new story featuring the characters from the comic.

I can live with that.
>>
>>69903250
Is it any good though? I mean, they can't talk about Martian niggers in it now can they?
>>
I like the castings except for Jesse. I hated this soft spoken, Jesse. He sounded like a punk bitch and looked like a noodle.

The pacing was all over the place and the campiness is pretty damn high.

I liked the comic and think they really missed out on catching what made the characters great in this episode.

My friend who watched it with me was confused at the end of it all and while was left with questions wouldnt care to see them answer to watch episode 2
>>
>>69906832
I liked it. I'm sure they can talk about the Martian Niggers if they want to. They're setting the sheriff up to be much like he is in the comics.
>>
>>69906832
AMC isn't going to let them go full Ennis but they'll probably let the sheriff be as racist and paranoid as he was in the comics.
>>
>>69903481
It was bad though.
>>
>>69907084
>>69907164
What about Billy-Bob and his precious bloodline?
>>
>>69906803
>they aren't going to follow the comic's plot at all and this will be a new story featuring the characters from the comic.
>I can live with that.

Not knowing the first season follows the prequel comic.
>>
>>69903250
B-but apart from the characters, the setting, and the Voice of God power, there isn't anything in this show that even resembles the comic.

I even had to break out my Preacher: Gone to Texas volume to see if maybe I was forgetting something like the Airplane fight scene, Jesse stopping an abusive husband/father, Jesse getting arrested and meeting Cassidy in jail. . . etc.
I wasn't.
>>
>>69903250
No duh, it flunks as an adaption of the comic.
Now that that's out of the way, how it is as a separate but "based on" expression of art is yet to be seen.
Hey, it's not like there's no chance we'll get a proper adaption some other time.
>>
I will watch it tonite. If comicfags hate it, means it could actually be good.
>>
>>69903250
It was very easy to follow, the fuck are you talking about 'incomprehensible'?

It wasn't, truthfully, all that good, but 'hard to follow' is not a criticism I can level.
>>
>>69903250

>preacher is a broken man with mysterious tough past. Some kind of entity has entered him.

>Irish guy is a vampire on a mysterious mission

>black girl does jobs to get stuff. She gets in trouble

>the world's a shit hole

Theres not much to get. It's all straight forward for a first episode
>>
well-done pilot. high production value.

fight scenes were kinda shaky but not too shaky. i'd give it a 9/10.

cast was great. everyone was convincing in their roles.
>>
Downloading it now. Had the comic book on the back burner but never got to it even tho I know I should have.
Hope it's good, if anything it will make me finally read the comics.
>>
>watch pilot
>3 separate weed smoking sequences

Who the fuck approved this?
>>
>>69903250
was good
>>
Tulip with the kids was great.
>>
File: Tulip.jpg (66 KB, 650x362) Image search: [Google]
Tulip.jpg
66 KB, 650x362
>be 10 yo
>parents aint at home
>lil brother to look after
>suddenly a car rushes in a backyard
>some chick just broke a person's jawbone by a corn
>blood everywhere
>lmao, definitely should make jokes about dead people and help her blowing up a fucking helicopter with handmade rocket launcher basically made out of paperthin aluminium
>women stronk

Most illogical scene I've seen so far, nevermidning terrible acting on Tulip side %%neverminding it's a complete miscast%%.
>>
>>69903250
>Ipad in the church
>makes donkey kong noises
I know it's just a small detail, but this one pisses me off more than COMPUTER NOISES in movies.
>>
>MFW I thought they went full 'Dark Tower' on us at the opening scene, but then I remember the comic.
Thank fuck!
>>
>>69907202

It wasn't bad, the first episode was too short and didn't explain enough though.
>>
>>69913721
Remember that diversity trumps actually staying true to the original work.
Just look at the Dark Tower disaster.
>>
I've read the comic and I still won't watch it.
>>
>>69913992

did you see none of the casting news or photos at all?
>>
>>69914096
I'm not even against black Tulip, but couldn't they at least attempt to find the one which is not a shitty actress?
>>
What's the deal with this thing?
>>
>>69903250
>This show is borderline incomprehensible if you've never read the comic
>Fans of the comic won't watch it because ruined the original source

Hmmm....
>>
>>69914356
Russian offician church of Satanic Communism, cyкa блядь.
>>
>>69914356

DON'T DEAD OPEN INSIDE
>>
>>69903250
As a reader of the comic book, I can tell you it's still pretty fucking shit and all over the place. Has even less to do with the comics then Walking Dead. Really poor adaptation.
>>
So, how close was it to the comics and what was different? Not that we actually got to see anything real.
Will they fallow the comic?
>>
>>69914558 see >>69914451
>>
>>69914579
Hoping for something specific
>>
>>69914558
its got the same characters thats about it Tbh
>>
>>69914628
Well, that's a good start, no?
>>
File: 1519185-preacher48.jpg (327 KB, 1024x1651) Image search: [Google]
1519185-preacher48.jpg
327 KB, 1024x1651
>>69914451
Shit gets real at last 10 minutes of a pilot, I didn't expect much from simple character overview. Looks like they are going to introduce Odin as a local villain for a first season, maybe ham-fucking, KKK and Nazi fetishism will bring more life in series.
>>
>>69914671
just because it has characters named jesse/cassidy and tulip doesnt mean they are like their comic versions. so no
>>
>>69914688
Looks more like it's gonna be the Agent Dudes. And Jessie himself, murdering the townsfolk one by one.
>>
Comics Jessie
>I have the Voice now, time to punish God for all the shit he's done to all of us and fuck off from this shithole.

Series Jessie:
>I have the Voice now, so time to stay around this shithole and be the Best Preacher Ever, yaay!
>>
Was the Saint in it?
>>
Aaaaand I just download the comic and started reading it.
I liked the pilot, I want to watch more so that's good.
>>
>>69914989
Not yet.
>>
>>69914891

He doesn't even know he has it yet.
>>
>>69914671
Jesse Custer is in mid 20-s, he hated god, hated townsfolk, hated being preacher, he was made to do so.
Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns because her father was shot by deer hunters while taking shit in a forest.
No one hunts Cassidy because he's a vampire, he wears sunglasses because he has really creepy ghoul-style eyes. Probably the most accurately transfered character for now, but there is not much of him.
TV series seem to go in a completely opposite direction.
>>
>>69915008
If you liked this, you'll hate the comic.
>>
>>69914989
On a bottle of whiskey at the beginning.
>>
>>69915083
There wasn't much to like, desu? The brief view of the characters seemed interesting basically.
>>
>>69914891
This was the worst change. Maybe they'll do a 180 on it though?
>>
>>69914558
>So, how close was it to the comics and what was different?

The circumstances under which the characters meet are fairly radically altered, as is the general day-to-day life of one of the major character (Cassidy, though I'm not sure I hate the change). The backstory of another major character (Tulip) I already knew from promo materials has been changed, she's no longer a sort-of criminal who's good with a gun, she's now like if MacGyver got bitten by a radioactive stripper. There seems to have been a radical change to the main character's background as well, though they're teasing the exact nature of it.

The events of the premiere bear very little resemblance to the first few issues of the comic, but you can see they're heading for some kind of ongoing state of affairs broadly similar to what the comic establishes.

I'm reserving judgement. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible, there were parts I enjoyed and parts I didn't. I was a diehard fan of the comic during its initial run I'm old as fuck and the comics will always be there. Maybe this will be fun, all I'm looking for in a Preacher adaptation really.
>>
>>69915059
>Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns

Say what now? Not the blonde caucasian part, obv.
>>
>>69915694

He doesn't know he has the voice yet
>>
>>69915059

>Tulip is blonde caucasian who is afraid of guns because her father was shot by deer hunters while taking shit in a forest.

Tulip was definitely NOT afraid of guns when she enters the story.
>>
>>69915059
>because he has really creepy ghoul-style eyes

You know you're some cunt for just blurting that out. Unironically: delete this.
>>
Without a doubt better than the comic so far.
And that's single-handedly since I don't have to look at Dillion's art.
>>
>>69916061
Eh. Dillon's art is bland, but safe. I'm a real pleb when it comes to this shit, the more representational, the better. At least his figures look human, unlike the walking carrots with pumpkin faces that Frank Miller gifts us with.
>>
>>69916008
You really think that's much of a spoiler? They showed it in a first teaser.
>>
>>69916103
Dillion's art is horrific. Not technically bad, but so incredibly uninspired.
All characters look the same, and I'm not even talking about the infamous frank-face. Posture, movement and body types are all the same crap. The page dynamics are non-existent. The inking looks like they are done by the intern.

Even Miller's worst pages have better artistic quality and page dynamic than the average Dillion.
>>
I don't know anything about the comics but it the show just drops you into the world without any pretext for anything

I know NOT everything has to be explained but there is no sense of direction of what kind of series this will be
>>
>>69916231
It's not a spoiler for the show, we see him without shades at all in the show. It's a massive fucking spoiler for the comic.

>>69916362
>Even Miller's worst pages have better artistic quality

Meh, again, I'm plebby as fuck on this. Miller draws people who don't look like people. The only way to tell women from men is that women in Millerland have lips and men don't. Dillon may be boring, but I'm never pulled out of the story by how fucking bizzare the characters look.

Dillon to me is like a less versatile Darick Robertson. Miller is just his own weird thing with these mis-shapen things that I'm meant to accept are people. But why fight.
>>
>Cassidy is a badass who takes down a plane on his own
>Tulip is a badass who takes down a chopper on her own
>Jessie is a badass who takes down three hicks on his own

It's not like they need the Voice of God at all
>>
So do you think it was grandma that killed Jesse's dad in the show or will they change that?
>>
>>69916458
They amped up the badassery a little, but not by all that much. Except Tulip. In the comics:
>Jesse is insanely brilliant MMA fighter trained by his hick Evil Father Figure who killed his Dad
>Cassidy has super strength and reflexes and can absorb insane damage without sweating

Honestly, Cassidy was so OP in the comics that I really didn't buy Jesse winning the fight, at all. Just didn't seem plausible. I get what it was trying to do, but it didn't land.
>>
>Television is a complex art medium.

The same people who think Twin Peaks is an endless labyrinth.
>>
>>69916458

>It's not like they need the Voice of God at all

They never did? Jesse rarely uses the word to settle anything he can't do with his jackhammer fists, for him it's a last resort.
>>
>>69913721

They cast a nigger to play Tulip? I'm dropping this show before I watch it.
>>
>>69916619
>that one guy who really wants people to think he's smart

Well bro, I do. I do think you're smart. Very smart.
>>
>>69914355
Shes on agents of shield and she was always the worst of the reoccuring cast.
>>
>next episode airs June 5

Are they trying to sabotage their own show or what?
>>
>>69916805
She can only do the passive-agressive thing, which is really isn't Tulip
>>
>>69916926
Oh what the fuck man, I was bummed that I have to wait a week for another, but this shit...

Anyway, I don't know what you fucks are blabbering about, there was nothing you couldn't get in the pilot, it was all laid on the table like for retards. You would gone ape shit if you ever watched Lost. For me I never read Preacher and I'm not at all into the comics scene but I like the theme and settings so I gave it a try. As much as I like Gilgum I'm sad to say that I think that I probably will get tired of his character and gimmicks. The dude who plays Preacher doesn't really convince me of his acting abilities and the Tulip girl I like much more than that unsympathetic looking blonde from pictures I've seen.

The whole show could've been more raw and brutal for my taste and I wouldn't be mad at all if it had less realistic and more cartoony feel to it.
>>
Should have burned 200 people and got the power that way, would have been more of an impact. But now we gonna be a good preacher and stay and do the best we can!
>>
>>69916585
He didn't really win though. There was no way he was still going to beat Cass without using the word.
>>
>>69916697
Its not that it's a last resort. He clearly doesn't need it and forgets he can even do it.
>>
>>69918268

Yeah that too
>>
>>69918206
>He didn't really win though. There was no way he was still going to beat Cass without using the word.

It's been a while since I read it, but didn't Jesse use the word to make Cassidy STRONGER in the final fight, by telling him to fight him with everything he had?
>>
>>69919406

Yes, he doesn't use the word for the entire fight, previously he used the word to tell Cassidy YOU'LL FIGHT LIKE HELL WHEN THE TIME COMES.

And Jesse did indeed kick his ass without it after which he sucker punched Jesse in the chest and let the Sun kill him
>>
>>69920190
I still give Cassidy that fight. When Custer tells him to fight like hell when the time comes I cried. Most emotional scene from a comic imo.
>>
>>69903250
My 80 year old grandmother had trouble understanding it too. But just the Supernatural aspects. Can you imagine explaining to your grandmother how geniuses came about?
>>
>>69920802

Explaining smartphones or right click on a mouse seems harder.
>>
>>69903250
i dug the show despite it's flaws. i also don't mind that it deviates from the source material. i mean, i've already read the comic, why do i want to experience it all over again? just because it's in a different format? eh. i'm all for alterations/deviations of source material, especially, as in this case, the source was no real literary treat. i mean, i dug the comic, but let's not pretend it's Faulkner or anything.

the show also hits my Banshee, grindhouse quota. it's no great show but i really liked the gonzo action and violence. hoping they'll ramp up the nudity but since it's on AMC, i doubt it.
>>
i'm interested. whats the show called?
>>
File: preacher issues.png (97 KB, 1317x554) Image search: [Google]
preacher issues.png
97 KB, 1317x554
>>69914558
>>
>>69915044
>>69915999
They're doing Salvation early on, so Jesse's ''gonna be the best preacher ever'' will be most certainly about him saving Annville from Odin. It just so happens that Odin and Arseface live in the same town as Jesse in the amc adaptation.
>>
>>69907367
So you want everything that was in the comics to copied straight to the screen? Thats pretty stupid
>>
>>69920585
>>69916585
The point was to show that strength does not mean skill. Remember that Cassidy only lands ONE punch on Jesse, and that's enough to cripple him.
>>
Just watching a Q&A from March. Apparently the whole season is in the first town? Even tho they where all but 3 issues from the comic in it? Huh
>>
>>69921573
>The point was to show that strength does not mean skill.

Hence "I get what it was trying to do".
>>
I'll be interested to see where it goes, but the huuuuuuge amount of deviation from the source plotlines doesn't inspire me with a huge deal of confidence.

6/10 opener
>>
>>69921621
Odin and Arseface are in said town too somehow.
>>
>>69921562
>So you want everything that was in the comics
There's a huge spectrum between ''everything'' and ''barely anything'' you know. Would it be asking too much if people wanted the adaptation to actually follow the plot of the comic and not just mish mash elements here and there?
>>
>>69921820
Exactly this. The source material is absolutely quality (personally). Potentially not including The Saint of Killers and keeping it all in the same town for a while seems hugely underwhelming, given what the potential of the premise.
>>
>>69921413
WAit, the guys at the end were angels? I thought they were The Grail.
>>
Never read the comic.

I liked the ironic corniness and enjoyed the characters (<3 satan archtypes).

Did not find it difficult to follow at all.

I think OP is just doesn't get the US South or lives there and can't take a joke.

Either that or OP just has poor analytical skills.
>>
it was real trash just like the comic
>>
File: gunpiss.gif (62 KB, 198x367) Image search: [Google]
gunpiss.gif
62 KB, 198x367
>>69922050
The pair of cowboys have the same names as the pair of cokehead angels in the comic, Fiore and Deblanc.
>>
>>69903250
the only good part was the opening scene
those shots of outer space were good
i liked the style

everything else was edgy for edginess sake
boring too
the accents were shit, so was the acting

i cringed hard as shit for the entirety of the cornfield scene and the one following it in the kids kitchen
>hur dur im a stronk multi ethnic womyn who dont need no man and can do all these bad ass things

god damn this show was shit
>>
I've heard irish accents before and could understand them perfectly, what is Cassidy's incomprehensible garbage from? North Ireland? Or just a bad fake accent by the actor?
>>
>>69909039
>If comicfags hate it, means it could actually be good
go watch game of thrones you humongous faggot
>>
>>69922368
>everything else was edgy for edginess sake

The show is actually far less edgy than the comic.
>>
>>69912938
seth "lmaoweed" rogen

im not surprised you didnt do your research or even read the 26 point font credits at the begging of the episode because you are a fa/tv/irgin
>>
File: ew.jpg (25 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
25 KB, 618x412
How unsightly.
>>
>>69913721
this was the worst scene and i cringed hard as fuck and i spilled my beer
>>
File: sfc.jpg (305 KB, 798x1181) Image search: [Google]
sfc.jpg
305 KB, 798x1181
>>69922618
This has never been more appropriate.
>>
File: Mossad infiltrator.webm (415 KB, 684x714) Image search: [Google]
Mossad infiltrator.webm
415 KB, 684x714
>>69922618

more like Rat Negga. Then again some women just look terrible scurnching up their faces.
>>
Wait, they're not gonna include Cassidy's hat-wearing friend? What happens with him is pretty critical since it reflects what happens with Cassidy way later on.
>>
>>69922576
dude have youve even noticed that theres fight scenes that dont happen in the comics

this was tryharding way too much
>>
>>69922750
>fight scenes
>>
>>69922690
Fuck everything but the main 3 heroes: the show
>>
>>69922833
what are you even trying to prove here?
are you trying to defend the show or downgrade the comic?
you basically demonstrated the the source material is edgelord tier shit and that the show will be shit too
the show might try to recreate these scenes or pussy out and wont
either way its a fucked if you do fucked if you dont situation
>>
>>69903250
>>69903348
was the walking deads pilot awful to you then since it didn't tell us where the walkers came from or what the fuck while rick was K.O? Was GoT's pilot shit because it didn't tell us literally anything about whats going on?
>>
>>69922983
calm down.
>>
>>69922833
>>69922999
and i was talking about the airplane fight scene
aparently from what ive read here
other anons have stated that there have been added violence to highlight how bad ass everything is about the universe
>>
File: tumblr_mosmeo5q0w1qkh10io1_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mosmeo5q0w1qkh10io1_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x400
You are little girl, there is a broken car, a bunch of dead people and a bitten off ear on your lawn, and there is strange woman holding a gun. Would you:
- Cry for help

- Run away

- Hide with your little brother in a house until adults come

- Make edgy jokes about massacre and agree to help strange woman to build explosives

Seriously, logic was horribly raped at that moment.
>>
>>69922521
It's a sort of a mid-Westish thing. Neighbourhood of Sligo, I'd say.

Annoyingly, Cassidy is from Balbriggan in the comics. Dunno how they talked in Balbriggan 100 years ago, but given that it's in north Dublin I doubt it was like fucking Sligo.
>>
>>69922983
>I'M JUST SAYING I'M GOING TO COMPLAIN BITTERLY QUITE LITERALLY NO MATTER WHAT SO GET FUCKING USED TO IT

OK, bro. Chill.
>>
>>69922521
What the fuck, I'm not even a native speaker and I can understand Gilgum everything.
>>
>>69923254
dude you sound more butthurt about this than man
how about you chill
>he said mean things about something i like, he must be angry
>he said mean things waaah waaah waaaah

stfu faggot

>bro chill
>>
>>69923140

I didnt even like the pilot, but preacher doesn't try at all to be realistic or logical and it's absurd to complain about realism in a show so comical and over-the-top, that's like complaining that it's illogical for ash williams to attach a chainsaw to his hand
>>
>>69923325
Alright gramps, time for your anger pills.
>>
File: What Larks.gif (453 KB, 280x207) Image search: [Google]
What Larks.gif
453 KB, 280x207
>>69923325
>all that perfectly calm typing
>>
>>69923140
Wow, logic. Tell me more about logic in a world where priests explode, a bloke can set his hand on fire, where you survive a fall from a flying plane...

What are you retarded? It's a fiction world, take it easy and laugh about it. Jesus.
>>
>>69923375
There's a difference between spouting edgy jokes out of the blue in an attempt to look cool and just straight up ridiculousness, like Ash attaching a chainsaw to his arm stump. One is tryhard and one is deliberately silly yet also somehow cool.
>>
File: shock-and-disgust.png (183 KB, 1818x1854) Image search: [Google]
shock-and-disgust.png
183 KB, 1818x1854
>>69913721
aaand not even picked up
>>
>>69923404
>>69923424
YOUR TASTE IS SHIT AND YOU SHOULD FEEL LIKE SHIT YOU NIGGER

>inb4:hur dur calm down dude
yea we all come to 4chan to calmly discuss in a rational manner
give me a fucking break
>>
Is there the Word of God in here or the Saint of Killers?
I heard there were neither in this show
>>
>>69923499
Supernatural things happening doesn't mean you get a free pass for people acting illogically, doesn't help that it's just horrible writing.
>>
>>69923710
The Word is there. Apparently the SoK will be there sometime in the future, even though in the comic his hunt for Jesse starts at the beginning and is an important character.
>>
>>69923710
Both. Saint is coming up in the next series, Voice already blew up Tom Cruise.
>>
>>69923721
It was a fun scene. I wasn't ecstatic about it, I wasn't offended.

It wasn't completely overboard.
>>
File: most amusing.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
most amusing.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>>69923678
>inb4:hur dur calm down dude

Oh no, by all means continue. At this point it's genuinely entertaining.
>>
>>69923804
It's not about it being offensive, it's about how stupid it is for a person to do that and more importantly, how it was obviously done for the sake of tryhard coolness. It also doesn't fit Tulip from the comic.
>>
>>69923911
You would have to delete the whole car scene without having this ending. Which wouldn't be completely bad because I didn't enjoy it that much, I'm just saying that it fitted with the build up so I didn't mind it that much.
>>
>>69924052
Scene would do just fine without those unreasonably dead-calm kids.
>>
>>69923901
>im an idiot who is easily entertained

:|
>>
>>69906803
>this will be a new story
dude, it's Salvation, Odin's the villain.
>>
>>69903310
>Just by watching the pilot
>pilot
the episode that was produced a good year before it was picked up by the network and feels completely different from any episode after it.
they really should just scrap those and reshoot them as proper first episodes.
>>
>>69913476
But that's a lie, anon-kun
>>
>>69903250

It was shit because the directors thought Preacher was a stoner comedy.
>>
>>69903250
Never read the comic here, just got done watching it, will say what I think to be true and you tell me how off the mark I am to test your incomprehensibility theory.

So Cooper is a preacher who was once a mercenary, or maybe a treasure hunter given woman mentions maps. He's shit at his job and only does it because his dad used to be one before he was killed in front of him. He may or may not be aware of the supernatural things in the world from his time as a merc/treasure hunter of whatever.

Woman is strong and has the magical power to make bean tins and scrap into heavy ballistic ordinance. Might be supernatural in some way. Evil white men are after her because she's too strong and was found drinking their tears. She used to be Preacher's partner but something bad happened that made him quit, possibly related to ass-face.

Guy from Misfits is a vampire who is being hunted by Van Helsing type hunters (who may be the group preacher guy once belonged to). Seems fairly unassuming and not all that bad for a vampire.

Some sort of thing (supernatural entity? Cosmic horror? Experiment gone wrong? All three?) is targeting religious leaders and giving them the power to hypnotise people in a sense. Most end up exploding but Preacher hasn't exploded so now the people responsible/researching it/wanting it, possibly the Mother Russia church of Satan, are looking for him.

Preacher has a qt keyboard player at church who crushes on him and hates apple products. There's a guy with an ass on his face who may have been involved in the thing that fucked up and made preacher quit whatever it was he was doing beforehand. It might be the thing that caused him to have an ass on his face.

Anything I've missed?
>>
>>69927890
Yeah, it's definitely more your classic booze-comedy.
>>
>>69928116
I mean you're making the point well that OP is a tard if he legit thinks it's even hard to follow.

Trouble is, it does deviate substantially from the comics. On the points it doesn't deviate (so far) you're bang on the money or at least bang on the ballpark for what you could plausibly hazard a guess at.

On the points where it deviates, either you're dead right or I'm also wrong, and I don't think I'm wrong.
>>
>>69928116
Also God's apparently dead or at least not talking to anybody anymore, may be related to the explosive hypnotism cloud.
>>
It's well shot. It's funny. It's got my attention. Nobody cares that you faggots read a shitty DC comic.
>>
>>69928116
A lot of the specifics are wrong, but yeah, this post show it's easy to gather a good idea of what's going on just from what they showed in the episode. Having read the comic helps but it's not necessary.
>>
>>69928351
He's gone. The over-arching plot of the comics is that Preacher is pissed off at God and tracks him down to fuck his shit up. Eventually he makes a deal with the Saint of Killers, who kills God.
>>
>>69913721
wait... a black chick is playing Tulip?
seriously?!
DROPPED
>>
File: lehappymerchant5.png (45 KB, 317x293) Image search: [Google]
lehappymerchant5.png
45 KB, 317x293
>>69928868
What did you expect?
>An Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen Production
>>
File: the horror.gif (994 KB, 486x289) Image search: [Google]
the horror.gif
994 KB, 486x289
>>69928868
I mean I'm slightly annoyed that she's neither particularly good nor especially attractive, but wow, I couldn't begin to give a fuck that she's black.

>b-but we just model ourselves on SJWs because we have no inner lives of our own we can only mirror them

Yeah, enjoy.
>>
>>69929361
It kind of affects the story seeing as how Tulip in the comic has a super southerner gun-toting hick background, but most importantly later on in another arc Jesse's whole progressiveness inspired by his father's words is a plot point. With Tulip being black, it's a given from the beginning and loses the effect.
>>
>>69929591
>super southerner gun-toting hick background

I'm pretty sure there are a few black people in the South and I'd bet more than a couple of them have guns. I know they tend to be located more in urban centres but 'tend' and 'more' aren't things to worry about.

>in another arc Jesse's whole progressiveness inspired by his father's words is a plot point

We already had Way Too Many Of The Bad, not sure if it was before or after Tulip and Jesse meet in the pilot, but it's already out there, in part at least.

Plus it's hardly a twist that the protagonist who's kicking up about domestic violence etc is oh-mi-gosh not a racist. That doesn't really count as a 'plot point' imo.
>>
>>69929361
>I mean I'm slightly annoyed that she's neither particularly good nor especially attractive, but wow, I couldn't begin to give a fuck that she's black.

Pretty much my response. Couldn't give a fuck about an adaptation switching a characters race, providing the person they cast is actually decent e.g. Idris Elba as black Roland in Dark Tower, but Tulip was pretty much the worst part of the pilot.

Well, that and Custer's dad being a preacher rather than a badass vet.
>>
>>69930497
>Custer's dad being a preacher

What in the fuck is up with that? Why? I mean, it's not even like it's innately awful, but it hints at awfulness to come. I suspect this means no Grandma, and I wonder about Jody and TC, too. I mean, clearly someone is shooting him, but I think who and why may have been fucked with.
>>
>>69929903
>Mississippi/Louisiana/West and South Texas former resident here.

I can tell you first-hand that there are many many rural blacks who tote guns, ride and own horses, wear cowboy hats, farm, hunt, fish, swim in creeks, and generally share more in common with the redneck lifestyle than their urban counterparts.

Most people just don't encounter them unless they spend time in rural areas in the South.
>>
>>69929903
>I'm pretty sure there are a few black people in the South and I'd bet more than a couple of them have guns
They aren't good shots though, unlike Tulip who's an even better shot than Herr Starr, nor are they white trash. It's not like I'm saying ONLY white southern hicks could possibly be gun fanatics, but it is what she was and what's known for that kind of person.

>twist
I didn't say that, I said how the whole arc is about Jesse being the only non-racist in the whole town, what's the point of it now that Tulip's black?

Also the whole racism thing is a kind of a deal in the comic.
>>
>>69930826
>I suspect this means no Grandma, and I wonder about Jody and TC, too
>Jody

Oh jesus. The thought of Jesse not being turned into a fighting machine by his abusive klansman father figure sickens me.
>>
that sucked. had no idea what was going on.
>>
>>69907034
A younger Walton Goggins would've been perfect as Jesse.
>>
>>69921562
considering the source material is so revered, you'd think the creators would at least consider translating some of it.

but let's break it down. if you read the books, you'd know that the only similarities so far between the characters is their names. their relationships to one another have been completely reworked.

changing/adding to the established plot alone would be fine, maybe even welcomed - if this were a proper prequel, or reimagining, you might be able to say they were expanding the preacher universet. but they've effectively thrown out the plot, the characters, the tone, and the humor.

and that's not even mentioning the fact that there is absolutely no way AMC will be able to effectively convey half the shit in the books. the incest, rape, pedophilia, cannibalism, etc. aka what made preacher interesting in the first place.
>>
> Tom Cruise explodes
You've got to admit that was fucking brilliant
>>
>>69931982
>if this were a proper prequel, or reimagining, you might be able to say they were expanding the preacher universet. but they've effectively thrown out the plot, the characters, the tone, and the humor.

isn't this a reimagining?
>>
>>69931982
>incest, rape, pedophilia, cannibalism
these are pretty common staples of tv. I'm not sure how the comic could have done them differently in a way that tv shows don't already do.
>>
File: GuinanTCB.gif (2 MB, 440x450) Image search: [Google]
GuinanTCB.gif
2 MB, 440x450
>>69931465
>They aren't good shots though
>>
>>69932015
Anyone got a webm of this?
>>
I wonder how the "Fuck Communism" lighter will come into play now that Jesse's father is a preacher as well instead of a 'Nam vet.
>>
>>69932108
i would and did say so

>>69932199
i'm not saying that the concepts themselves would be out of place on AMC. i'm saying i have zero faith in AMC effectively doing it. i don't think it can or will live up to the books.
>>
>>69929220
>>69929361

I liked Ruth Negga as Tulip. Don't kill me.
>>
>>69932303
it doesn't actually happen, just news saying he exploded.
>>
>>69932387
On the one hand, I'd say 'instead of' is a bit previous, since he could possibly be both. On the other hand, the time doesn't really work. Maybe he'd be a First Gulf War vet, but that's just not coded the same, culturally. And no based Texas and the Spaceman flashback arc, even though I guess that was never on the cards.

Pretty sure we're not getting Cassidy during the Rising either lads. Shame. If there was one fucking thing I'd have wanted to make it through, it's Cassidy's bro giving Michael Collins a good hard kick in the bollocks.

>>69932487
Happy for you, bro.
>>
>>69916450
Part of what makes comics as a medium extremely interesting compared to especially film, is how abstract it is. You can without much effort play on the feelings and movement of the characters and situations much more than really any other medium can except possibly video games, but it's not there yet. That's one thing that Stan Lee got right (or at least I think he did it. He says he did it) in how he said that every single movement should be upped to 11, and this can be applied to every part of the comic. If someone gets hit hard you can have the entire background in some super explosive yellow colour, or create impossible shadows to truly show how angry Batman is at the Joker.
Also, there's the part of self insertion from the reader. Since pretty much everyone can identify with a simple emoticon ;), you can use these simple abstractions to make it easier for the reader to put themselves or people they know in the characters spot, making for a more interesting read. The more advanced and detailed the face, the more difficult this is to do.

Dillion takes a huge crap on all of this. Which for me is like taking a huge crap on all that makes the medium interesting.

And comparing Dillion to Robertson triggered me a bit
>>
>>69915008
B-but don't you know you're wrong anon?

I don't like it, t-that means no one else should like it either.

A-and if they do like it, then that makes me better than them, isn't that right mommy?
>>
>>69932761
>pointing out how the adaptation completely fucks up the story of the comic so far, missing key elements an plotlines is the same as saying that others shouldn't enjoy it
What a defensive baby.
>>
>>69922368
>edgy for edginess sake
Isn't that the point?
>>
>>69932597
I think Jesse is old enough that his father could have fought in Vietnam and became a preacher after his service. Let's say John Custer joined the war in 1969 at 18 and Jesse is born in 1979, and then his father is killed when Jesse is around 5 so mid eighties making John around 35 a the time of his death. This makes Jesse be about 35 now.
>>
>>69933076
>the story of the comic so far, missing key elements an plotlines

Bro it was the pilot. I mean yes, they've changed backstories and whatnot, Quincannon's moved up the roster etc. But there is no 'story of the comic so far', or if there is, it's: Jesse, his old flame Tulip and Cassidy the vampire meet up, Jesse unwittingly merges with the spawn of an angel and a demon, gets magic powers, as a result of which mysterious individuals are keen to find him. And that's all there.
>>
>>69933340
I guess it could just about work. I pegged Jesse for late 20s, though. I suppose that doesn't really matter.
>>
>>69933340
Assumption that crazy grandma made John to work as a preacher seems valid to me. I just don't want them to miss that part of an original plot.
>>
Anybody else not really bothered if the Reaver-Cleaver thing is dropped? If this was an original series and Cassidy's old buddy just so happened to turn out to be a serial killer I'd be like eh, what the fuck, dude. That's dumb.
>>
>>69933855
yes, that would be a good way to explain the ten year gap there. In the comic, it's been a while, but I believe Jesse was conceived before John went to Vietnam, but I can't be sure and that wouldn't work here. What I laid out in my previous post fudges it enough where it could work and you wouldn't have to come up with some silly reason why a guy would have a "Fuck Communism" lighter during the first gulf war. .
>>
>>69934101
They could easily do half a season from that but eh.
>>
>>69934132
I really, really hope it's not going to be Fuck Saddam or Fuck Taliban or whatever. Fuck Islam, on the other hand, would at least be genuinely, literally edgy. Pretty sure AMC would insta-nix it, though (I don't even hate the Muzzies, in particular, just saying).
>>
>>69913721
eh, it was fun.

>inb4 HOW DARE YOU HAVE AN OPINION
>>
>>69914989
next episode
>>
File: 1519209-preachergoodoldboys[1].jpg (67 KB, 399x640) Image search: [Google]
1519209-preachergoodoldboys[1].jpg
67 KB, 399x640
Just give me these two good ol boys, and ill be happy
>>
>>69932199
But does AMC have the balls to have a guy say "martian niggers?" Or John Wayne calling Jesse a faggot? No. This is not a show for AMC. This is for Showtime or HBO or Netflix. Fuck advertisement driven tv.
>>
>>69934326
I don't get that guy's objection at all, honestly. Incongruously stoic and impassive kids are a minor comedy staple. Think Macauley Culkin in Uncle Buck.
>>
>>69934101
He called someone, that may be him. Hope they cover sideline with two cops somehow, it's way too hilarious
>>
>>69928486
This. I read the first few issues of the comic and that's it and it's close enough for me. Plus based roody is gonna play a major roll and thats all I ever wanted from anything.
>>
>>69934513
>I thought we'd firmly established the Fucker/Fuckee relationship here! I guess I thought wrong!
>CUHHBURRUH! CUHHBURRUH!
>He cuhhburruhs, alright. By the end, he's so damn cuhhburrutive he gives up the whole operation.
>>
File: 1497163016462413346.jpg (23 KB, 264x366) Image search: [Google]
1497163016462413346.jpg
23 KB, 264x366
>>69934270
A "Fuck Saddam" lighter would make sense if they went that route, but it wouldn't be as good.

>>69934442
My favorite part of Preacher is the story surrounding Angelville and Jesse overcoming these assholes which leads to one of the greatest uses of "Yee-Haw" in any medium. I wonder how they'll implement the John Wayne figure as he should actually start talking to him pretty soon.
>>
>>69928116
>Possibly the mother russia church of satan
No. That wasn't even their first stop. Pay attention. They are independent of any church but are tracking the thin that makes preachers explode.
>>
>>69928486
>DC comic
ACTUALLY I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT [hits asthma inhaler] THAT IT WAS PUBLISHED UNDER THE VERTIGO IMPRINT AND THAT IMPRINT [stuffs fistful of Cheetos into maw] WASH WIDELY LAUDED [munch, munch] FOR ITSH INNOVATIVE AND DARING SHTORYLINESH YOU PHILISHTINE [collapses weeping onto MLP duvet, curls into ball, weeps]
>>
File: ugghhhhh.jpg (5 KB, 196x196) Image search: [Google]
ugghhhhh.jpg
5 KB, 196x196
Who here is hype for roody? I don't know why I'm so excited about this guy but I am.
>>
>>69934711
You know I fucking completely forgot about definitelynotJohnWayne. Ah, well. It was a ripoff of True Romance anyway.
>>
>>69934711

>that flashback chapter where a guy brings up John Wayne's real name and they fuck his shit up

top kek
>>
>>69934781

>Ah, well. It was a ripoff of True Romance anyway.

True Romance didn't invent imaginary friends, might as well say True Romance ripped off it's a wonderful life.
>>
>>69934898
Well yeah, but I mean the imaginary friend being a molecule-thinly veiled expy of a beloved celebrity.
>>
File: 1452530073807.jpg (116 KB, 510x600) Image search: [Google]
1452530073807.jpg
116 KB, 510x600
german here, didn't understand a word that cassidy said ...
>>
Why squirrel killing redneck came to a bar to get his hand broken, if he's cool with his masochistic wife?
>>
>>69932674
I agree with what you said, but I think his style matched Preacher perfectly, but only Preacher
>>
>>69934758
Was bretty disappointed with the pilot but Rudy was still quality
>>
>>69935054
Russian here, didn't get almost all words in russian, lol.
>>
>>69935058
Dangol pritcher shun be snoopin ran nudder man's bidness, tellyawut.
>>
>>69935054
Back off adolph
>>
Hope there'll be room for Bob Glover and Freddy Allen, the Sexual Investigators
>>
>>69935730

IT'S BUGGERING TIME
>>
>>69913721
The black tulip is kinda cute though. Really don't mind the swap.
>>
>>69935730
That's where I first encountered 'Fook' as a vernacular spelling of 'Fuck'. Spent six months pronouncing it to rhyme with 'Duke' before it clicked (shamefully, I'm not even American so I don't really have the excuse of not being familiar with the basic accent).
>>
>>69934711
That thumbnail makes it look like Jesse's wearing some kind of S&M corset and no pants.
>>
Who played Jessie's dad in the pilot? He looks really familiar but I can't place it.
>>
File: preacher_amc-4.jpg (550 KB, 1080x607) Image search: [Google]
preacher_amc-4.jpg
550 KB, 1080x607
Only character I like so far, the lead guy is kinda dull 2bh.
>>
File: nikki_misfits.gif (488 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
nikki_misfits.gif
488 KB, 500x268
>>69936048
>>
File: preacher.jpg (442 KB, 1199x1920) Image search: [Google]
preacher.jpg
442 KB, 1199x1920
Why is it that we can put a man on the moon, but CG technology hasn't given us a Fabry-style, obviously-David-Bowie-circa-Thin-White-Duke-modeled Cassidy spinoff series?
>>
>I am the prophet.
>I am the chosen *SPLAT*

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: Rudy face.jpg (39 KB, 455x517) Image search: [Google]
Rudy face.jpg
39 KB, 455x517
>>69937333
Is that Rudy?
>>
>>69937744
Well it wasn't in the comics. But based on what is in the comics (and by that I mean "Blindly trying to reconcile this with the gist of what happens in the comics), I'd guess all the 'splodied guys weren't worthy vessels of Genesis and I really wouldn't highlight that spoiler unless you suspect you already know what it says.
>>
>>69937744
He felt the powah of God almighty and ascended to a supreme form of liquid watermelon.
>>
What is his lighter going to say on the show?
>>
>>69937983
Fuck Patriarchy. There was a big fuss over it, /pol/ going apeshit as per usual.
>>
>>69937790

Yes
>>
>>69937983
Early interview said the Fuck Communism lighter was confirmed.

>>69938118
You're full of shit.
>>
File: it was awful.jpg (47 KB, 500x614) Image search: [Google]
it was awful.jpg
47 KB, 500x614
>>69938194
>You're full of shit.
>>
>>69935170
I love him. I was had low expectations because I heard it wasn't even going to follow the book at all but I saw some things i recognized so I am appointed by the pilot.
>>
This show just feels like "Let's laugh at those stupid hicks" the TV Show. Never thought I'd compliment the Walking Dead, but at least it doesn't feel condescending to Americans who live outside of New York and California.
>>
>>69939293

That's why I liked Justified, there were some dumb hicks sure but there were also a good amount of very smart local criminals even besides Boyd, was always funny how out of towner crook types would talk shit and get wrecked not just by them but local law enforcement
>>
>>69914355
>Good black female actress

Name one. A list included. I fucking dare you.
>>
>>69939293
Yeah there's a couple of exceptions in the comic, but there's a lot of dumb-hick related humour there, too. I think you have to make allowance for Garth Ennis being just some dude from Ireland working more or less secondhand from other depictions in the media. Also, it is a comic, stuff just gets amped up to eleven.

>>69939417
>it's a /pol/tard pretends to be an objective judge episode

Let's see what else is on imo.
>>
>>69939293

the comics whiplash in tone between showing southerners as complete Deliverance-on-crack monsters and full-on southern pride. Hopefully they'll keep that in the show but it looks more like typical 'duhuhuhu everyone liek sucks' one-note humor
>>
>>69939417

>>Good black female actress

CCH Pounder
>>
>>69939461
The difference is that Ennis is an Americaboo, while coastal elites hate America.
>>
>>69934758
Best on-screen Irish accent I've heard from a non-Irish.

Fucking hilarious also.

Even the Irish ham it the fuck up a lot for hollywood.
>>
>>69939417
Octavia Spencer, my racist friend.
>>
>>69939955

>it's a "I FUCKING LOVE NY" issue
>>
That nigger as tulip as the worst casting i have seen in a while
>>
File: le triggered baboon faec.gif (722 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
le triggered baboon faec.gif
722 KB, 245x245
>>69939461
>>it's a /pol/tard pretends to be an objective judge episode

I-if I cry /pol/ I-I have won the argument, right tumblr? reblog & donate to my patreon

limp wristed faggot

>>69940086
who

>>69939601
not even remotely human looking
>>
>>69939955
>Ennis is an Americaboo

Eh... kinda. I mean, I'm definitely a keen student of American political and cultural history (despite also being a spudfucker) but I'm not, like, rah-rah flag-wavey. Ennis... isn't really, either. He seems to enjoy writing characters who are, but that's another story.
>>
>>69940446
>complains about being triggered by the mention of his homepage
>posts in the exact same style as the rest of his circlejerk friends

Hi, /pol/! How's it feel being a closeted racist because society would shun you in an instant?
>>
>>69940446
I have won the argument by deconstructing the spurious grounds on which you sought to conduct it, grasshopper. Convince me otherwise.
>>
>>69935058
I thought the implication was that she wasn't really masochistic, she just didn't want Jesse going to the cops.That's why he slumps in his chair when she tells him that.
>>
>>69941172
Makes sense, but masochistic version has original Preacher spirit, thought about it in a first place. He slumps in his chair while realising how perv she is. At least that version explains shitty directed bar brawl.
>>
>>69941491
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. It goes towards the moral disgust Jesse feels during that breakdown at Leonard's bar. Which, frankly, wasn't really built up at all in the comics IIRC and relied solely on Jesse's sick burns of the clientele.
>>
Anyone with a download link?
>>
>>69942312

Is your name fucking Helen Keller?
>>
>>69942325
... it actually is :(
>>
>>69941491
Maybe, it was pretty unclear desu. I'm leaning towards her lying because he admitted he was gonna smack his kid around too.
>>
>>69942506
But those voracious lips and eyes tho.
>>
>>69937744
But if he had the "Word of God" and he told the congregation to be quiet and they were compelled to do so, why were they screaming when they ran out of the church?

Checkmate.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.