[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so they're literally the exact same thing as mass effect's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
so they're literally the exact same thing as mass effect's reapers?
>>
I wanted to say the exact same thing but refrained from doing so because I didn't wanna be called a /v/kiddie, but yeah they essentially are the same thing.
>>
The walls are titans
>>
File: 1463222517152.jpg (59 KB, 383x280) Image search: [Google]
1463222517152.jpg
59 KB, 383x280
>>69890424
such a fucking waste of potential
this guy is so based and they completely butcher his origin
bravo you fucking hacks
>>
>>69890424
More like the collectors
>>
>>69890641
anyone got any more of these?
>>
>>69890424

Even starcraft did it before mass effect. Kill yourself kid.
>>
why did the tree children make them if they can't control them

what's their purpose and motive
>>
It's the scourge from Warcraft.
>>
No, they're like Sin.

Wights are Sinspawn.

Children of the Forrest are the people of Bevelle.
>>
>>69891000
Probably as a grudge weapon after knowing it was all over. Well, we may be dead, but you will be too!
>>
stupid lorax bitch and her fellow treehugging asshats doomed how many men because they were butthurt over a trivial issue?
>>
Brienne doomed all of Westeros by killing Azor Ahai
>>
File: 1449621036200.jpg (64 KB, 599x546) Image search: [Google]
1449621036200.jpg
64 KB, 599x546
>>69890969
>trying to be hipster by using fucking star craft as a basis
>a setting that is a rip off 40k, which in turn ripped off a bunch of shit
>>
>>69891238
dropped the show in season 3, does it seriously have a fucking noble savage thing going on now
>>
>>69891375

Nope
>>
So why the fuck didn't the old guy tell Bran not to get touched by him? Seems like that wouldn't take up too much of his nap time.
>>
>>69891375
They're like fey.
>>
>>69891497
Did he even fucking warn him about the consequences of fucking around with the tree? What is the tree anyway, the fuck is going on with this show.
>>
>>69891300

Thats my fucking point imbecile. Its been done to death, so dont pretend Mass effect invented the wheel. Thats why I said "even".
>>
>>69890424
I hate magic because it makes no sense.

If the CotF are powerful enough to create these white walkers, why aren't they powerful enough to just outright beat back the humans? Why are they allowed to "create" this weapon?

Where is the logic?
>>
takes one to know one.
>>
File: scrouge.jpg (55 KB, 1024x566) Image search: [Google]
scrouge.jpg
55 KB, 1024x566
>>69890424
No. It's literally the scourge.

>came from the northern frozen continent
>raises the enemy dead to fight for them
>broke free of their masters control and now wants to kill them

The sad thing is that if the Warcraft movie gets a sequel with the scourge, normies will most likely call it a rip off of GoT.
>>
>>69892248
>A Game of Thrones is the first novel in A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of high fantasy novels by American author George R. R. Martin. It was first published on August 6, 1996.

>Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is a high fantasy real-time strategy video game released by Blizzard Entertainment in July 2002
>>
>>69890424
>mass effect invented a common as fuck trope
/v/ LEAVE
NOW
>>
>>69890424
More like Ultron.
>>
>>69892868
the fuck? i thought he started in like the early 80s
>>
SHOEHORN ENVIRONMENTALIST POLITICS THANKS D+D
>>
File: 1406248015414s.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1406248015414s.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>>69891300
>StarCraft
>Hipster
>>
>>69890424
I think they're more like the zerg from warhammer
>>
>>69890424
>/v/ shit

Seriously? This is such a fucking common trope even the Bible has it. And the first thing that came to your mind was some shitty gay sex simulator?
>>
>>69892868
Im sure that he did not develop the origin of a character who does not even appear until book fucking four before warcraft existed
>>
>>69891300
Stupid animeposter
>>
>>69893158
maybe because it's a popular pop-culture meltdown
>>
>>69893389
The Others were around raising the dead in the frozen north from the very first book. Obviously GRRM had some idea of what they were and why they were doing this. The Scourge didn't even exist until Warcraft 3.

Considering Blizzard has a history of "borrowing" from other fantasy franchises, I would say Occam's razor falls in GRRM's favor.
>>
>>69890424
S K Y N E T
>>
>>69893389
There are others in the first chapter of book 1 and Hodor is present from the beginning.
Do you mean the children of the forest, or the night's king? Because it's quite obvious both of those were planned well in advance.

I really doubt fatman plays Warcraft, too.
>>
>>69895350
The books were supposed to be a trilogy, he cleared had the ending planned out from the start.

Too bad he won't ever finish it now.
>>
>>69891184
>>69890424
So they're like the Shadows from Babylon 5?
>>
>>69896292
Nah, they are like Ultron.
>>
>>69893158
Where in the bible is there something like this? I am genuinely curious. The closest I can think of is lepers, but that's a disease and they were docile.
>>
>>69896882
Lucifer bro.
>>
>>69890578
yeah haha i never played a video game either!
>>
File: 1459470587337.jpg (63 KB, 450x715) Image search: [Google]
1459470587337.jpg
63 KB, 450x715
>the ending to ME3 was so bad, it caused you to quit playing video games entirely

Except I'm here now, so something went wrong
>>
>>69897081
The original ending was shit but they made it better with the patch. I almost quit playing video games too.
>>
The Walkers were created do to deforestation?

What the fuck is this EPA/SJW propaganda?
>>
>>69896939
So I haven't watched this yet but I do understand the starcraft and mass effect references. How does lucifer equate here? Because he has an army of the damned? Because he tries to take souls? He doesn't lead an army and wage war against mortals in a non metaphorical sense, so I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>69897166

What did the patch change?

It was still press a button to pick the fate of the universe was it not?

There was some 'dlc' which added something?
>>
>>69891300
kys idiot
>>
>>69897347
Yeah except that originally, it wasn't the same ending for all 3 choices. I think they even added a 4th choice but I don't remember.
>>
>>69897316
The trope is basically "one's creation, meant for good, turns against its creator."

Hell, that techincally happens to God in geneiss too, since Lucifer's mythology wasn't exactly well developed until Christians.
>>
>>69897420
it was*

with the DLC, it wasn't the same ending.
>>
>>69897166
You don't understand the amount of time I put into the ME series before that. I had six different profiles from ME2 ready to see what ending was which, but once I learned all of them where just different colors I just gave up.

Still played fifa/madden with roommates, but that was really it. Played a little bit of my friends Witcher 3, but couldn't really get into it, despite it obviously being technically great.

IDK, maybe I just got older, am I supposed to play video games in my late 20's? my 30's? am I supposed to play them with my kids?

Even seeing capeshit now makes me feel a little embarrassed

Maybe I'll get onto them one day, who knows
>>
>>69895588
Even if he does finish them, will we find out D&D are following his directions for the broader strokes or will he create a schism? Or, worryingly, will GRRM change his conclusions to fit the show for them normie bucks?
>>
>>69897458
I think op made the connection because both the reapers and the white walkers destroy societies/civilization in a cyclical fashion, satan just gives it one big hurrah and is then beaten
>>
>>69892889
>turning a other-worldy lovecraftian antagonist into a generic villain with an origin story.
Not much else comes to mind other than mass effect desu
>>
>>69891000
Probably because they underestimated how fucking vicious and dangerous the white walkers would become.
Hell they might not have even known about the ability to control the dead.
>>69891375
No. The "savages" were fucking raging at humans for burning down their homes and created the necro-humans as a revenge tactic that made the situation even worse for everyone involved.

That said; what is the night king's objective here?
He's spent time rebuilding his army, and hasn't pushed south for a great many years.
What exactly happens?
>>
/a/ did it first. The others are anti-spirals.
>>
i want the white walkers to win so much after tonights episode
>>
>>69897739
>>69897736
Skynet, Ultron, Battlestar Galactica, Space Odyssey, pretty much rogue A.I. in all of sci-fi.
>>
>>69897525

I dropped it after that bullshit, never touched the dlc so not likely to ever do so now. The Deus Ex game (human revolution) pulled the exact same bullshit with the ending.

>You have made a series of choices which could organically lead to a conclusion based on those choices.
>press a button which nullifies all those choices
>keep a save just before so you can get the other 'achievements'
>>
and the many face guys are the same the assassin's guild in Elder Scrolls
>>
Much as I admire Tolkien, and I do admire Tolkien — he’s been a huge influence on me, and his Lord of the Rings is the mountain that leans over every other fantasy written since and shaped all of modern fantasy — there are things about it, the whole concept of the Dark Lord, and good guys battling bad guys, Good versus Evil, while brilliantly handled in Tolkien, in the hands of many Tolkien successors, it has become kind of a cartoon. We don’t need any more Dark Lords, we don’t need any more, ‘Here are the good guys, they’re in white, there are the bad guys, they’re in black. And also, they’re really ugly, the bad guys. **George R. R. Martin
>>
>>69897653
>IDK, maybe I just got older, am I supposed to play video games in my late 20's? my 30's? am I supposed to play them with my kids?

It happens to most of us. I'm one of the few that haven't grown out of it and probably never will. It's just an good way to escape stress without fucking up your health.

>Played a little bit of my friends Witcher 3, but couldn't really get into it, despite it obviously being technically great.

That game is the best I've played in a decade. Only San Andreas was better for me. Probably cause I played it growing up and it was the first of it's kind.

>Even seeing capeshit now makes me feel a little embarrassed

Same here. Actually grew out of that. Saw Deadpool the other day and I just didn't like it like everyone else did. I forgot most of the movie already.
>>
>>69897910
none of those are cyclical
none of those where thought as any lovecraftian horrors
>>
>>69891971

magic in this entire series makes zero sense

a random fire god can raise people from the dead just like that, no reasons or context given.

roots from a magic tree enable someone to see and interact with the past even
>>
>>69897934
Not exactly.
Similar, they worship "The many faced god" or "death". Brotherhood worships "Sithis" who is the void, and absence of life.
But the Brotherhood acts purely as assassins. They aren't as fervent like the Faceless.
>>
>>69898007
kek disregard the namefagging. Was trolling a namefag.
>>
>oy vey I've created a golem!

bravo d&d
>>
>>69898051
Neither are the White Walkers.

What's your point?
>>
Can these guys theoretically survive in space?

>Doesn't need to breathe
>Immune to cold
>>
>>69898143
It's llike the Shoah all ovah agahn!
>>
>>69897081
He was a good friend.
>>
>>69898101

People are animated by the "fire" of life. It makes sense that a fire god could resurrect people.
>>
>>69893720
>>69893389
>>69895350

Tolkien already established the north and being full of evil things, ruined cities and iirc some of the nazgul were kings from there.

Also Warhammer has the chaos gate in the far north where chaos armies come from.

that's just from recent fantasy stuff, nordic legends no doubt have some related things as well
>>
>>69898188
No because pressure.
Their eyes would be sucked out of their sockets.
>>
>>69898051
I don't think you know what a lovecraftian horror is. Ice zombies aren't lovecraftian horror, neither are the rippers. Lovecraftian horror is something so incomprehensible that a glimpse of it snaps the human mind, and it sure as hell cannot be defeated
>>
Now they done fucked up the Others. They where supposed to be an ethereal race of shiny elegant snow elf type creatures in the books wondrous and terrifying at the same time with mysterious motives. Now they are just a bunch of single minded killing machine faggots.
>>
>>69890424
BRAVO VINCE
>>
I mean i guess?
But what about drogon, pretty sure when he's fully grown he'll solo them while fucking dany mid air, am i fucking wrong?
>>
>>69898188
>still made out of shit that doesnt want to exist in a vacuum
>>
>>69898157
Yes, white-walkers were introduced as these indifferent and destructive forces of nature that no one really knew anything about. That mystery was what made them a good part of the plot.
>>
>>69898258

It's repackaged shit for normies, what did you expect?
>>
>>69898258
It is disappointing, they were supposed to be ice fey, not fucking zombies.
>>
>>69898157
>winter is coming isn't cyclical
>the white walkers weren't thought of as an almost other worldly force from hell

(you)
>>
File: 1433852034750.gif (2 MB, 367x206) Image search: [Google]
1433852034750.gif
2 MB, 367x206
>>69898229
We Dark Souls now.
>>
>>69897748

>White Walker army marching off towards an apparent invasion at the end of Season Fucking Two
>>
>>69898229

no, it makes no sense since there is no logic behind any of that

a random fire witch can birth shadow demons, raise the dead and appear super young and sexy. it's all competely arbitrary stuff with no rules or logic behind it
also beric was raised multiple times by some random semi-priest for seemingly no reason whatsoever
>>
when is the ice zombie king going to get his shit together and get on the other side of the wall and fuck shit up?
>>
>>69898266
why does BRAVO VINCE/NOLAN posting still crack me up
>>
>>69898330
>>winter is coming isn't cyclical
They came once, got pushed back, and now they are appearing for the 2nd time. Two times does not make it cyclical, and we don't know why they showed up the 2nd time.

>>the white walkers weren't thought of as an almost other worldly force from hell
>Elves, lovecraftian horror rathar than British Norse/British mythlogy

(you)
>>
File: White_Walker_2x10.jpg (621 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
White_Walker_2x10.jpg
621 KB, 1920x1080
That reminds me. This fucker right here got killed three times now (once by Sam, another by Jon and now by Meera) and he still comes back. What the fuck is this bullshit?
>>
>>69898391
Because you're a massive faggot?
>>
>>69898256
All those traits except for the "snapping of the human mind" can be attributed to the whitewalkers.
White-walkers were lovecraftian AF until this episode.
>>
Also in the books it is implied that the Others built the Wall and made a pact with the Starks for each race to stay on each side of the border. I was pretty convinced that humans started the war with the Others first.

They then made peace and married a White Walker (Night Queen) to a Stark to seal the pact. Once the Starks where kill it gave them the justification to move past the wall since the pact was broken. But I guess all of that shit is out the window now.
>>
>>69898422
Hivemind bro. He keeps getting reborn and uploaded to a new body.

Preston was right.
>>
Why did he want to kill bran so bad after he saw him in the vision? Why does he even care?

>>69898422
how do you know its the same guy
>>
>>69891300
that plot point didn't happen in 40k tho sempai
>>
They totally ruined the WWs.

This is why the less you know about something that's supposed to be otherwordly and scary the better.
>>
>>69898355
fire god = life magic.

It's some pretty basic shit mang
>>
>>69898525
He needs the blood of a Stark to destroy the wall
>>
>>69898491

they're making it simple for the show but in the books it will get elaborated upon
>>
>>69898283
>>69898243
They're made of ice though and they're skin/bones/muscle is harder so I don't think it's the same
>>
What is this, attack on titan? Is it a magic wall?
>>
>>69898566
senpai*
>>
>>69898698
It's like 500 feet, what do you think they sculpted that bad boy when they weren't getting raped by wildlings?
>>
Everyone's shitting on the white Walker origin story, but it's been said that the walkers are servants of evil god of the fire gods faith. Perhaps they worked as intended, then they turned in favor of the evil god. So there's still some potential for an eldrich antagonist.
>>
File: walker.jpg (15 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
15 KB, 600x451
>>69896292
This is a walker.
>>
>>69898566
Hours Heresy.
>>
>>69898782
I'm hoping what you say turns out true, but this episode just explained that they were literally created by forest children to protect trees.
>>
>>69898782

I doubt that this is their actual origin story. GRRM's schtick is that he takes traditional fantasy tropes flips them on their heads and shits all over them. So the titanic struggle of good heroes versus an eldritch evil scenario is too cliche for him. I think this will be the difference of the show vs the books if/when they finally get realeased
>>
>>69898476
No they weren't.
They were a very foreign and terrifying force.
Alien in nature.
But they are not lovecraftian.
Lovecraftian abominations are so immensely powerful that there is almost no hope at all for anyone facing them. They transcend human understanding and drive those who grasp their true essence for only a moment, completely insane.
The white walkers are nowhere near strong enough or unknowable enough to be lovecraftian.
They can be struck down by special materials, they also boast an easily understandable attack pattern and horde strategy.
>>69898491
The marriage wasn't to seal the pact. That happened way after the wall was built.
>>69898618
Agreed. Whilst I do still feel they're menacing they've lost a ton of mystery.
They could've had the children lead men into the cold north to die as torture for revenge, only to find years later, they return as the white walkers for some reason.
>>
>>69890424
I don't get how they are supposed to be the same thing as mass effects reapers.
>>
>>69899018
>interesting antagonist turned boring by an uninspired origin story
That's all there is to it.
>>
>>69898648
>>69898525
>implying that the mark on brans arm won't allow the white walkers to bypass the magic field that surrounds the wall which is the ONLY reason they haven't attacked yet.

Bran is literally a trojan horse for the white walkers now and there's absolutely nowhere to go for him except south.
>>
>>69899057
>generic badass rapeface
>interesting

kys
>>
>>69898894
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean though. They were made by the children, then turned on them in favor of the evil god.
>>
>>69897719
I imagine the opposite. With how much the show is changing from the books I bet there will be two different endings. The only way it would work is if he spent all of the next book backtracking and voiding out entire plots and storylines to align with the show.
>>
>>69897748
The wall has magic that stop them getting past. Bran's mark will let then break through like it did at the cave.
>>
File: 200.jpg (14 KB, 200x256) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
14 KB, 200x256
>>69891089
>It's the scourge from Warcraft.
>>
>>69899371
I swear to god if bran doesn't realise that before he hits the wall I will be fucking enraged.
Is that why they're pursuing him so heavily now? Why don't they brand a normal human and just lob them towards the night's watch as a prisoner or even amongst the wildings
Or can they only brand wargs or some shit?
>>
My question is why the fuck was Bran in some random-ass mundane memory when he and Blackraven knew shit was fucked? Like shouldn't they be preparing or something? Why would they make themselves completely helpless when Blackraven warned Bran that the Night King knew where he was and could get to them?

Shit makes no sense.
>>
>>69899256
they really could just don't explain the origins at all, we don't need it that much. The thing is, they made the much worse of an antagonist they already were.
Generic unexplained ancient evil >>>>>>>>>> generic weapon that went out of control (aka zombie virus)
>>
>>69898566
Eh, the Necrons kind of did the same thing as the Reapers in the old lore.
>>
>>69899464
Maybe it has to do with him being a Stark. Also anyone else think that Brans training was to warg someone/something from the past? If so that could be interesting, if they don't fuck it up like so many time travel plots do.
>>
>>69899568
it's all the same shit. There is no possible origin that could have been original or interesting. That said I o agree it's best left unexplained. But I'm sure there are a bunch of focus groups and executives who demanded an explanation
>>
>>69899527
Time loop. Bloodraven took him to the yard because he knew Bran needs to be there to create Hodor.
>>
>>69899623
It's GRRM's notes. Nothing to do with focus groups or execs.
>>
>>69899527
>My question is why the fuck was Bran in some random-ass mundane memory when he and Blackraven knew shit was fucked? Like shouldn't they be preparing or something?
He was showing him a moment where Brans grandfather told his father to basically do whatever it takes to win.

Bloodraven basically just made bran go full "the ends always justify the means" mode and he has the ability to influence the past. Be prepared to find out that Joffrey deciding to kill Ned Stark was actually Brans doing.
>>
>>69891300
>bunch of shit
>calling Dune shit
>>
>>69899603
>Maybe it has to do with him being a Stark
oh shit actually that might make sense.
If bran the builder was part of the stark bloodline, then a branded stark crossing the wall might destroy the barrier, since blood ties is an established magical power house.

I hope they keep the warging in the past minimal. or at least have bran try then realise everything he does has already happened in the present, so its pointless.
>>
So the real question is how much shit did Bloodraven fuck up by using timetravel like that to begin with.

He's likely the source of all their pain.
>>
The /v/ invasion is real
>>
>>69897458
>meant for good
they made the whitewalkers to wipe out another species you fucking retard
>>
>>69899708
Is the show really gonna get into this time travel paradox shit?

>>69899725
Yeah it seems clear that Brans actions while warging are gonna effect a lot of major events in history.
>>
>>69899712
This.
Its likely the actual origin of the white walkers from GRRM. But the show didn't have time to flesh it out or be vague about what was going on. Literature can always leave more to the mind. The show has to, well, show it.
>>69899568
Difference is the white walkers have room to grow now. I want to see the night king's motivation and ideals. He clearly doesn't give a shit about mindlessly killing humans, or else he would've bumrushed the wildings much earlier. And he hates his creators clearly.
>>
>>69899603
It will end up being a massive plot point otherwise they wouldn't have included time travel.
>>69899725
He'll probably drive the Aryes mad. Joffrey killing Ned didn't seem out of character.
>>
>>69899865
People have always crossposted
>>
>>69898476
>lovecraftian AF

please go to reddit or twitter or something
>>
>>69899824
>Whoops I tried to go back in time and stop backfyres, instead i unleashed horrible terror beyond our reality. I'm sure you and me can remedy the situation with more time teavel, Brandon!
>>
it was interesting to see both Littlefinger and Varys taken aback for once

also holy shit the Hodor scene is the second most shocking thing I've seen from this show since Ned
>>
File: 1463756632714.jpg (14 KB, 512x287) Image search: [Google]
1463756632714.jpg
14 KB, 512x287
>>69900000
I didn't deserve this get but i will accept Lady RNG's blessing.
>>
File: 1438482456081.jpg (28 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
1438482456081.jpg
28 KB, 680x583
>>69892248
>>69892943
literal 10 year old
>>
>>69899867
>Is the show really gonna get into this time travel paradox shit?
Yep, we are fucked. They did it with Hodor. Who knows what else is that happened was due to Bran.

>>69899824
Nothing, closed loop.
>>
>>69900000
Rip, here come the (yous)
>>
>>69900000
MEDIOCRE
>>
>>69890424

No, they retconned the origins, in the books no one knew were this fuckers come from, even the Children of the Forest knew where they came from. But they allied with the first men to fight them and they help Bran the Builder to construct the wall.
>>
>>69900000
Fuck you
>>
>>69890424
Nah they're more like the Geth.
>Made by a weak race that couldn't contain them.
>>
>>69899997
Sorry for using an acronym on the internet
>>
>>69900000
My father used to rape me

+1 for Victarion sitting the Iron Throne
>>
>>69890424
Wait I played ME but never bother with the story, so if the WW are the reapers who were the Children of the Forest?
>>
>>69900171
I doubt it.
The children don't mention if they know where the white walkers come from.
And I'm pretty sure they wouldn't admit to their human allies that WOOPS WE MADE THE ZOMBIE KING AND HIS ARMY BECAUSE WE WERE BUTTHURT AT YOU, BUT WE COOL NOW AMIRITE.
Hell they wouldn't have spoke about it at all if Bran and Bloodraven weren't able to spot their dumbass selves shoving magic ice stones into human chests.
>>
>>69893720

Yeah, but how could Blizzard have borrowed this idea when we didn't even know about it until last night?
>>
>>69900270
the leviathans
>>
>>69900270
The Leviathans.
Basically bio-"Reapers" who act EXACTLY THE SAME.
Who made an AI to keep slave races from murdering themselves by inventing skynet.
Who then decided to murder said slave races to stop them inventing skynet by turning the races into sludge and making them machine copies of the leviathans.
Then turned against the leviathans.
Jesus fuck mass effect really dropped the fucking ball story-wise post-2.
>>
>>69900270
How do you play Mass effect and not bother with story?
>>
>>69899413
>>69891089

You speak of justice. Of cowardice...
>>
>>69900471
I hope the film coming out is actually alright and we get sequels.
I NEED TO SEE THE FORESTS OF LORDAERON WHISPERING HIS NAME
>>
>>69890969
The Zerg were not created as weapons m8
>>
>>69900207
OM LE G LIKE DUH ZOMBIES ARE LE SO SCAWY AAAAAYYY EFFFF LIKE ASS FUCKKK BRUH LOL xD
>>
>>69900561
Memories foggy but weren't they edited into a race perfect of form?
I think there were "primal" zerg in the games that were basically the same in biology except without a hive-mind.
>>
>>69898256
>that a glimpse of it snaps the human mind
No, wrong, you're a fucking idiot, do not past go.
Fucking cthulhu shits.
>>
File: android.jpg (19 KB, 400x457) Image search: [Google]
android.jpg
19 KB, 400x457
>>69893101
>>
File: 1463631208071.jpg (431 KB, 1144x2154) Image search: [Google]
1463631208071.jpg
431 KB, 1144x2154
>>69890424
burn all fantasyshit with the anime posters and the capefag threads

KINONLY
>>
>>69898476

Lovecraftian means Cosmic terror. It plays om the realization that humans are entirely the subject of the whims of forces who are barely aware and/or indifferent to our existence. The WW are not Lovecraftian.
>>
>>69899937
Yeah I know they'll use the shit out of it, all I hope is that they don't fuck it up like all the terminator movies or whatever. Overdoing it and all.
>>
>>69890424
dumb /v/ crossposters

dumb thread
>>
>>69898476
fuckin dumbass retard
>>
>>69900676
You get alot of lovecraft-lite monsters in fiction nowadays so they easily get confused.
Like xenomorph from alien (excluding any of the sequels which turned them into termites).
>>
>>69898101
There's no magic. It's all Sci-Fi. Preston is right.
>>
>>69900874
WE ENDLESS LEGEND NOW
>>
>>69898491
If the Others built the wall they wouldn't be held back by it's magic.
>>
Why did they make the others look generically evil again?

Did they ever say why they look so different from the books?
>>
>>69901095
Probably because they were afraid it would be too confusing for normies

>why are the bad guys looking like cool ice elves?
>>
>>69900676
>>69900778
>>69900806
An antagonist doesn't have to meet every single lovecraft trope to be considered lovecraftian. The WW met most of them before this episode.
>>
>>69900129
>YFW Tyrion is a midget because bran punched him mom in the stomach in the past for fun.
>>
>>69900560
As long as Malfurion comes off as a huge asshole...

Illidan did nothing wrong.
>>
>>69901194
>something doesn't have to be lovecraftian to be lovecraftian

why are you trying so hard to fucking argue with people? you couldn't be any more wrong
>>
>>69901095
probably because the book ones sound weird and strange.
They're described as fair but harsh, almost like highborne elves with armor that shines in multiple colours.
Which also explains the children of the forest origin a bit more if its truly GRRM's work. Instead of frost demons they're mutated crossbreeds.

I like the other's in the book and show.
My only gripe is how weak they look now.
Like Samwell killing one was luck and before that they were an immeasurably power enemy.
Even Jon struggles and kills one only by fluke catching him off guard by blocking his blade.
Now a fucking 13 year old can chuck an obsidian spear and shatter them
>>
>>69901194
Except, you know, the main one, of incomprehensible cosmic horror.
>>
>>69900615
In StarCraft 1 they were simply the Xel'Naga's attempt at trying to create a perfect race.
In StarCraft 2 they retcon'd and made it all fucking stupid with the primal zerg as a bunch of animals that just murder and eat each other.
>>
>>69897944

>it has become kind of a cartoon

Fuck him.

That's what makes television and cinema fun.
>>
File: 1458870341415.gif (3 MB, 400x255) Image search: [Google]
1458870341415.gif
3 MB, 400x255
>>69901194
They're straight up just fucking ice zombies dude the shit ain't lovecraftian, why do you give a shit so badly?
>>
>>69901275
they were an incomprehensible force of nature before the origin story.

>>69901250
not what I said
>>
>>69901194
> meet every single lovecraft trope to be considered lovecraftian.
Correct but the WW don't meet almost any of the base elements.
>Unknowable by human minds.
Incorrect. Horrifying to humans? Yes. Truly unfathomable? No.
>Powerful beyond compare, to the point of absolute despair for humans.
Nope. They can be killed. And easily.
>So powerful they don't care about humans at all.
Nope.

Face it bruv. The WW are not lovecraftian in anyway whatsoever.
>>
File: ourking.jpg (201 KB, 655x731) Image search: [Google]
ourking.jpg
201 KB, 655x731
>>69897884
this
>>
>>69901095
Laziness.
Budget.
They're also hacks.
>>
File: FF.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
FF.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>tfw friends are calling this season the best one

Why are people such plebs, /tv/?
>>
File: lCNcpvO.jpg (140 KB, 740x517) Image search: [Google]
lCNcpvO.jpg
140 KB, 740x517
>>
>>69901356
>incomprehensible force of nature
Which is not lovecraftrian at all. And if you argue otherwise it's due to semantics of the word "nature."
>>
>>69901357
This

"Antagonist with mystery origin" does not equal lovecraftian
>>
>>69901356
>they were an incomprehensible force of nature before the origin story.
No they weren't.
They were a faction of zombie-raising loons
who are building an army and killing humans.
And even at that;
they aren't cosmic horror. They aren't completely alien to humans.
Just because we don't understand an enemy or being doesn't make it an eldritch abomination.
>>
I don't mind the "HOLD THE DOOR" shit, but explaining how the white walkers were made was shit which ruined the mysticism around them.
>>
>>69901477
>>69901456
>>69901473
Ok fine I lose
>>
>>69901356
incomprehensible mean's completely unable to understand, simply without reference or ability to fathom, something so insane your brain can't even begin to try - they literally gave us all we need to comprehend it you fucking whining contrarian, they're pretty much just average dudes made wights and necromancers by the children, they're is absolutely nothing about that that could be considered lovecraftian; zombies made by fucking faggy forest people, get over it, the show is shit and it doesn't matter
>>
Why is /tv/ making fun of

>HOLD THE DOOR

when it was GRRM's idea, not D&D's?
>>
>>69900110
>>
>>69901426
it's one of the better ones for sure. You might be trying to fit in here
>>
File: forever mad.png (515 KB, 880x699) Image search: [Google]
forever mad.png
515 KB, 880x699
>>69890424
>>69897081
>>69897653

I will forever be mad. I had the same outcome after ME3, 99% of games became unplayable.

I feel however GoT has become the ME3 of /tv/ on par with /lost/.
>>
>>69901440
I wasn't even aware they were the same character for like 90% of the screen time he had, they've already cut like 10-15 actors in this one season alone and now have gotten rid of most possibilities where CGI is used, could they really have not been fucking bothered to recreate the original look?
>>
>>69901584
who's making fun of it, shit had me shaking
>>
>>69901636
it's literally the same guy with more eye shadows
>>
>>69901555
We actually agree with each other, you know.
I'm saying they WERE incomprehensible and had mysterious motives before the children origin story. That scene ruined all of their intrigue.
>>
File: Skeletons_preview.jpg (786 KB, 797x1030) Image search: [Google]
Skeletons_preview.jpg
786 KB, 797x1030
> Mass Effect invented an army of undead skeletons
>>
>>69901538
there never was anything to "win" in the first place you belligerent autist, learn what a term means before arguing over it on some shitty image board
>>
>>69901584
I thought it was alright.
/tv/ has a habit of jumpin on bandwagons tho.
I felt the kid acting was a tad weak, but the impact was good.
It turned a comic-relief into a tragedy.
He was made a retard purely to die later on. And bran couldn't stop it.
>>
>>69901731
>D&D invented anything

all that shit is lifted from old legends
>>
File: Bloodborne Fanart Boss Spread.jpg (3 MB, 1369x2500) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne Fanart Boss Spread.jpg
3 MB, 1369x2500
>>69898476
Since this thread is /v/ as fuck already, I will use an ACTUAL example of Lovecraftian terror.

The second half of Bloodborne is Lovecraftian. The Others/White Walkers are most certainly not, especially not now since their origins are really boring compared to what they could have been.
>>
File: black-cauldron-skeleton.jpg (64 KB, 1049x497) Image search: [Google]
black-cauldron-skeleton.jpg
64 KB, 1049x497
> Mass Effect was the first to have heroes fight an army of undead skellys
>>
>>69901817
>what they could have been.
what could they have been?
>>
>>69901731
>medium undead
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>69901724
>WERE incomprehensible
No they weren't.
Unknown motive doesn't mean incomprehensible.
If they defied the laws of physics and any discernible human traits it would be.
>>
>>69901817
Fuck off weeab.
>>
>>69899865
just because I play videogames does not mean I frequent that cesspool.
>>
>>69890424

More like the Yuuzhan Vong
>>
>>69901661
Shaking with laughter.
>>69901714
No shit it's the same guy, they just look nothing alike now; face ratio is completely different, head shape is different, nose size and detail is different, nostrils are different, lips are different, chin is different, eyes are different sizes, scelera is different, one has more CGI than prosthetics, completely different detail on the forehead and cheeks.

It's going to be one of the most important antagonists in the whole fucking show and they couldn't for some reason even keep the slightest nuance of consistency.
>>
>>69901817
Bloodborne is as close to lovecraft as well get in recent years.
And even then; not completely. The monsters in BB were fightable and whilst monstrously powerful, they were killable.
>>69901837
Mass effect wasn't about undead skeletons you autist.
The reapers are spacefaring robotic cuttlefish.
>>
>>69898476
To be honest though they could be a lovecraftian servitor race....just depends on their connection to the great other.
>>
Seemed pretty obvious to me that it was the tree that invoked the past-visions in bran, meaning now that the white walkers have the tree, he cant do shit.
>>
>>69901817
Using the same arguments as some of the commenters here; Bloodborne's antagonists were killable, therefore not lovecraftian.

Oedon was the only lovecraftian entity in the game.
>>
>>69901946
>face ratio is completely different, head shape is different, nose size
do... do you realize the right image is stretched? No one is THAT retarded, surely
>>
>>69901724
just stop
>>
The moment they explain the white walker origin all I could think about was the generic zombie plot line of military making a virus that spirals out of control.
>>
File: BloodborneLoreEnding3.png (445 KB, 1363x720) Image search: [Google]
BloodborneLoreEnding3.png
445 KB, 1363x720
>>69901948
In BB, you ascend.
>>
>>69902001
>HURR DUH IMAGE IS STRETCHED THAT'S WHY THEY LOOK NUFFIN ALIKE

I believe you're actually that retarded, sorry to inform you.
>>
>>69902032
That's essentially nothing like it.
The White Walkers aren't zombies. They're superhuman beings with their own will and ideals.
They create zombies however.
I hope they touch on that. And its not something the children gave them.
>>
File: pic1418136.jpg (338 KB, 822x1148) Image search: [Google]
pic1418136.jpg
338 KB, 822x1148
> Mass Effect invented the scene of an undead army being ruled by an undead king attacking a party of heroes
>>
>>69902087
mate just face it you goofed hard. You really wanted to fit in here but you overdid it.
>>
why do they keep killing the wolves?
>>
>>69902032
the "create something that goes out of control" thing is probably a story from prehistoric times
>>
>>69901440
its called puberty
>>
>>69901850
lovecraftian
>>
>>69897081
did the same thing. havent played since 2012. im thinking of getting a gaming PC soon and playing all the good stuff that has come out since then.
>>
>>69902107
Mass effect has nothing to do with the undead you autistic fuck.
They're referring to both the main villains being created by a third party.
>>
>>69900171
How GOT ends

>bran and meera get rescued by cold hands/benjen
>make it South of the wall
>Sansa and Jon retake winterfell
>Bran goes to weirwood at winterfell
>bran discovers Bloodraven drove Aerys mad while telling him to burn the wights
>bran discovers jon is a targaryan and rightful king
>proof is in the crypts
>bran discovers bloodraven is Lord of Light so now bran is Lord of Light
>bran crossing wall allows Nights King to cross/destroy wall
>Dany comes on ironborn ships and teams up with Jon to take down white walker army on the Trident
>Sansa rules the North
>Dany takes iron throne
>Tyrion is hand of the king
>Jon rebuilds destroyed Nights Watch and becomes 1000th Lord Commander (again)
>Wall is not safe needs magic to keep retreating White Walker armies out
>Bran goes back in time to learn how to build a new wall and inadvertently become "Bran the Builder" and creates the wall by chopping down weir woods and using their magic
>Bran comes back and chops down Winterfell weir wood to build new wall
>Final scene of entire series is surviving COTF sacrificing someone on weirwood to become new Nights King because the Men are chopping down their source of magic again (breaking truce from old men)
>>
>>69902235
that's not much of an answer.
>>
>>69901948
I am saying that comparing this army of undead which is an old trope that predates even Dungeons & Deagons to what happens in Mass Effect is dumb and sounds like it was a comparison made by a 14 year old who has only ever played Mass Effect as his exposure to RPGs.
>>
>>69892868
>details/origins of GoT Others: 2016
>warrant 3: 2002
>>
Every single bad thing that has happened in the series is because of Bran's time fuckery. That explains why all the Starks got fucked over so bad. Bran was going back in time and retroactively fucking them by accident.
>>
>>69902152
Nice job not actually rebutting any of my points and just being an autistic faggot. Honestly you could have just admitted there was no point in whiteknighting the art direction of a shitty sunday night HBO show before doing the "i was just pretending to be retarded xD" thing.
>>
>>69902281
And you'd be right.
That doesn't mean spam the thread with bullshit since its clear in the first few posts he's been shut down.
>>
File: 1413703158651.png (415 KB, 551x550) Image search: [Google]
1413703158651.png
415 KB, 551x550
>>69891300
really?
>>
>>69902328
Brann tried to warn the Mad King about having to burn the walkers but fucked him like Hodor and he went nuts screaming "burn them all"
>>
>>69902268
so basically the COTF are fucking retarded
>>
>>69901635
>I feel however GoT has become the ME3 of /tv/ on par with /lost/

heresy, lost will always be better than GoT. Especially since people are starting to realize that GoT is trash.
IDK if any show could collectively shit the bed hard enough for /tv/ to lose it like /v/ lost its minds with ME3.

Maybe if /tv/ existed back in the days of phantom menace.
>>
>>69902346
man, for someone who hates the show that much you sure do make sure to watch it right as it airs. Kek, you're pathetic
>>
>>69902404
Yes.
>>
>>69890424
How are they like reapers? What are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>69902260
> created by a third party
Well, op never articulated it was this aspect he found familiar.
And it isn't like a monsterous force created by a third party plauging the land and its factions is all that original either.
>>
File: ego-Sure, kid.png (305 KB, 553x516) Image search: [Google]
ego-Sure, kid.png
305 KB, 553x516
>>69901608
>one of the best ones so far
>Ep 1 was insultingly bad, 2/10, unironically the worst episode in the series in terms of absolutely retarded shit happening
>Ep 2 was bad but at least not as bad as the previous episode
>Ep 3 was actually quite good
>Ep 4 was decent until the last 10 minutes, where it becomes bad
>This episode was actually very good even if the origins of the White Walkers was hastily done and a little disappointing
>2 good episodes
>2 bad episodes
>1 terrible episode
>best season yet
>>
>>69902469
>y-you j-just have n-no life :')

Great argument bro. You totally got me, nobody in history has ever continued doing or watching something they had minor issues with.
>>
>>69902404

I'm guessing COTF is children of the forest, because I wanna talk about that last fucking Spriggan and how stupid it was. The whole sacrifice was pointless. You have the grenade already, just chuck it and keep running. What, were you hoping that them ganking you was going to buy the group precious seconds? Well it didn't.
>>
>>69902627
the first and last lines if your shitpost don't quite match up
>>
File: 180-89.jpg (42 KB, 741x486) Image search: [Google]
180-89.jpg
42 KB, 741x486
>>69902469
>>>/b/
>>
>stab man with dragonglass
>he becomes WW
>stab WW with dragonglass
>he shatters into million pieces of ice
explain this shit
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.