[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/trek/ - Star Trek general thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68
File: star-trek.jpg (372 KB, 1400x751) Image search: [Google]
star-trek.jpg
372 KB, 1400x751
>Latest news
Axanar lawsuit is 'going away' thanks to Justin Lin and JJ Abrams
http://io9.gizmodo.com/paramounts-lawsuit-against-axanar-productions-star-trek-1777959978

>Star Trek 2017
First look teaser and logo reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpPweAooeE

>Star Trek Beyond
Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzD8H6o1awQ

>Other Star Trek Media
Star Trek Horizon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc
Star Trek Renegades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM
Star Trek Absolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x55RpPAc5RM
Star Trek Continues:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOpmIFTxkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvgJI6cvh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChYhXhj7vY
Prelude to Axanar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA
Star Trek Of Gods and Men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFqAME7dx58

>Star Trek Life Lessons
http://www.space.com/32900-star-trek-life-lessons.html

Please refrain from mean-spirited, hateful, or angry posting ITT. That isn't the Star Trek Way.
>>
File: 1.jpg (67 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
67 KB, 900x600
Can't wait.
>>
am I the only one who actually likes the two recent films?
>>
>>69872380
I liked the first one. Second one was meh
>>
>>69872458
was it the plot holes? I was still really entertained by it. I might just be a pleb, but it did its job in that regard.
>>
Not even a major Trek fan, but why the fuck did they do an alternate universe of the 1960's series? Why not something new like a captain fighting the Romulans during their brief shadowy war? Or storylines in-between the Shatner era and the Stewart era?

I've only seen bits of the Shatner series, but I did see all the movies. I saw a good chunk of Next Gen (usually the ones mentioned on recommend lists) and its movies, all of DS9 which I thought was great, only select episodes of Voyager, and halfway through Season 3 of Enterprise.
>>
File: 1460772040085.jpg (328 KB, 1214x584) Image search: [Google]
1460772040085.jpg
328 KB, 1214x584
>>69871165
>>69871165
>Please refrain from mean-spirited, hateful, or angry posting ITT. That isn't the Star Trek Way.
>>
>>69873654
for money
>>
File: 542 (1).gif (2 MB, 381x434) Image search: [Google]
542 (1).gif
2 MB, 381x434
Nu-Trek is fun

I hope they don't fuck this one up
>>
>>69873224
i think its too similar to the first one.
>>
>>69873819
Are people REALLY that hung-up about the Shatner era?

I personally think DS9 was a stellar series because it actually had humans and aliens be racist fucks, there was a ton of complex gray characters, the Dominion was a terrifying anti-thesis to the Feds, and a lot of the themes echo with a post-9/11 environment. Like that episode where Fleet officers were engineering a mock campaign of fear so that the military would circumvent the bureaucracy; that shit ties directly with the War on Terror despite pre-dating it by a couple years.
>>
File: Picard.png (870 KB, 1232x939) Image search: [Google]
Picard.png
870 KB, 1232x939
Is Q a reoccurring character in picard?

How many alien being conveniently look just like humans to save money?
>>
>>69874046
Q appeared in DS9 and Voyager. Sisko punched Q; something Picard never did. Q totally wanted to bone Janeway.
>>
>>69874186
>Q totally wanted to bone Janeway
why did you have to remind me that stupid episode exists
>>
>>69874046
get ready for CG aliens
>>
>>69874221
Because I saw it 2 months ago and cringed hard.

Voyager could've been a god-tier series about a ship being stranded in an uncharted region and frictions between crewmates. Instead we got a bipolar captain and her moronic shipmates.
>>
>>69874221
If you're Q, why do you have to ask before boning a human? Wave your hand and they want you.

And isn't it a sad kind of fedora-Q that stoops to boning Janeway? That's like a bestialist who picks the ugliest dog at the pound to, uh, pound.
>>
>>69873654
Because TOS is the only series worth stealing from.
>>
>>69874022
There are, believe it a not, a lot of old creatures that became fans of Star Trek during it's extensive syndication in the mid to late 70s.
These people are ancient, some actually in their 60s and beyond, and they are the very soft and very white underbelly of America from that era (see: modern day basement dweller with attached psychosomatic illness).

These people would legitimately die over the series; argue for hours on end how some laughably child-like "god" from some insignificant stand-alone episode was emblematic of some cold war entity.

But more importantly is Shatner and Nimoy's 6 movie series that all of the original fans from that era adored. Those movies made a lot of money and are still in the conscious minds of people in their mid-30s and older.

So they'd naturally reboot that old series because of the amount of people from that era who will hand over fist spend money for and to hopefully grab Millenials who never saw the series' from the 90's.
>>
>>69872380
As a trek fan i'm somewhat meh on them, but purely as their own thing, they are fine, big action-y sci-fi summer movies and thats fine.

TV ought to be where trek should shine, and maybe they'll get a movie to flesh out a few things with a bigger budget, but not until it's established. Hopefully executives can understand the core audience arnt retarded and are perfectly capable of having simultaneous separate properties.
>>
>>69874392
I tried watching TOS but the acting and plot is nauseating.

I grew up on Shatner with TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal. I was unfamiliar with his Trek role until HS when I saw the movies. I really enjoyed Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock.

I even think Spock should've played the lead in the 60's series. Spock being the half-human half-alien captain of a ship largely crewed by humans is more interesting than cowboy Kirk. He'd have to learn how to embrace both sides of his heritage while his officers like McCoy and Scotty would rein in his logical approach with human sympathies.
>>
>>69873741
hi /b/. how's summer so far?
>>
>>69874703
>I grew up on Shatner with TJ Hooker, Rescue 911, and Boston Legal.
>I grew up with Boston Legal (2004)
>>
>>69874546
What about the generation of fans who grew up on Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise? Those came out between 1987 to 2005. That's 2 generations of viewers and more recent in memory than the 60's show. These demographics are between their 20's and 40's so they have far more disposable income and vested interest in Trek than the old-timers.
>>
>>69873654
TOS commands the biggest nostalgia boner, and it's the easiest to reinvent
>>
>>69874829
Born in 1990. I saw TJ Hooker reruns on Universal HD back in 2010 and Rescue 911 on The Hallmark Channel in the 2000's. I was 14 when Boston Legal came.
>>
>>69871165
Those are some very nice uniforms
>>
>>69874795
>summer
Not that guy, but you realize the term "summer" no longer has any context here given the 18+ / influx of people over the past 5 years (see /pol/).
>>69874829
He is right, the acting from Shatner is pretty bad at times. Only Bones and Spock are generally good throughout.
>>69874984
My father wasn't even born until a year after the original series aired. I wasn't even born until the 6th TOS Movie. All I remember from my childhood are TNG reruns and Voyager.
Nostalgia boner maybe for people in their late 30s and beyond.
>>
>>69875024
And you haven't watched Star Trek (TOS) before the age of 14? Well whatever, I remember asking my nanny to check the TV-program for TNG i.e. I was watching the shit before I went to school and learned how to read.
>>
>>69873224
Personally I agree with >>69872458. First one was significantly better than I'd hoped for and imo is in the top third of Trek films generally. Second wasn't terrible, but fell into the trap of multiple villains and yet more Earth-peril. Honestly, a direct threat to the safety of Earth just doesn't have any spice or kick anymore. It's like fully half the movies. It looks like they're steering clear of that for the next one, which is a relief.
>>
>>69875070
>He is right, the acting from Shatner is pretty bad at times
The show still have like 20 strong episodes.
>>
>>69875070
You see, I really liked Bones and Spock's adversarial debates in the movies and parts of the show I watched. It makes more sense to omit Kirk and have Spock interact with his doctor whose also his chief confidant. Scotty also acts as the unofficial 3rd member of their trio because he's a mix between scientific rationale as an engineer and an enthusiastic dude.
>>
>>69871165
No comfiest Star Trek: New Voyages?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TC5wl0IzE
>>
>>69875102
Even when I was 5 watching early seasons of DS9 I hated the Bajorans for their sanctimonious hokey spirituality and thought the Cardassians were cool. Sisko was like the first black person I had ever seen too.
>>
>>69875102
I never got around to it until I was in high school because a buddy suggested it. I was more interested in pro-wrestling and monster trucks back then.

My 1st Trek series was DS9 which I watched alongside Babylon 5. Then I saw Next Gen, TOS, Voyager, and finally Enterprise.
>>
>>69875218
I saw reruns of Spenser: For Hire on TNT so I was already familiar with Avery Brooks. I was pissed they made him shave his beard in Season 1 of DS9.

And yeah, the Bajorans were kinda cunty and I liked the fact that the series addressed religion and cultural sensitivities because the earlier Treks sorta glossed over that stuff. Realistically, you're gonna have aliens who are as fanatical as evangelicals in the Bible Belt.
>>
>>69874547
As far as action blockbusters go, those movies were very well done.
>>
File: 1452973397097.webm (3 MB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
1452973397097.webm
3 MB, 1280x544
By the end of Voyager, Starfleet vessels were more advanced and powerful than everyone elses in the quadrant.
>>
>>69875421
Yeah they have the quantum slipstream drive and other shit that Voyager acquired.

How the fuck can the Romulans even compare to the Feds after that?
>>
>>69875143
You are 100% right. And that's why, as a Trek fan, I never discount it as nothing more than important for the franchise but at times generally entertaining, if not having a hand full of some of the best Trek episodes.
>>69875161
Yeah, Scotty was very solid and consistent in the original series and I often forget this when arguing with someone who claims TOS is the pinnacle of Trek.
Unlike Chekhov's ridiculously campy Russian or Sulu, he had his moments and he kept to the idea of Scotty as a legitimate man of science with a penchant for the thing a (True) Scotsman would appreciate.
>>
>>69875479
I don't know but they had an alliance with them. So they sort of have to share their technology. This stuff could lead to some interesting plots.
>>
File: Christopher_Hobson.jpg (24 KB, 533x545) Image search: [Google]
Christopher_Hobson.jpg
24 KB, 533x545
>>69875245
>I was more interested in pro-wrestling and monster trucks back then.
>>
File: 1452649593707.gif (2 MB, 331x317) Image search: [Google]
1452649593707.gif
2 MB, 331x317
>tfw no McFadden nudes

Thin, tall, pale, flat assed red heads are my thing.
>>
>>69872380

Star Trek 09 was exactly what it needed to be, but most people were hoping that it would be a launching point into something a bit different and interesting to really set Star Trek back on a good path. Into Darkness kind of showed that Abrams didn't really have any plan and that they kind of just got lucky with that first movie which makes a lot of people worried about new trek
>>
>>69873654
>halfway through Season 3 of Enterprise

Oh what I'd give to experience that for the first time again, fun
>>
>>69875649
The Naked Now
Dr. Beverly Crusher needs a man and is testing the limits of Picard's cold abstinence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksR1ZCfpg3A
>>
>>69871165
Why does Abrams have anything to do with Star Trek? He directed the two worst movies now he is doing other stuff. Why the fuck does he have a say?
>>
>>69875584
The Alliance dissolved after the Dominion War was over. Nemesis confirms that the Feds and Romulans resumed their chilly relations in the beginning of the film.

And the Feds would NEVER willingly share vital tech like quantum slipstream because it would make the Romulans even more dangerous.

>>69875557
Scotty was my personal favorite because Doohan's parents were from County Down like my grandpappy. Scotty kept it real and wasn't as hokey as Kirk was in being a badass.
>>
>>69875421
How is it that First Contact's mix of CG + Model work retains a greater looking battle sequence than anything 20 fucking years later.

The part where she enters the battle is especially magnificent with the lighting, beautifully done.
>>
>>69872458

First was OK but gets worse every time you watch it. Or think about it.

Second was complete garbage.
>>
>>69875711
I'm enjoying Shran and Archer. Those 2 are bro as fuck despite butting heads.
>>
>>69875815
Holly wood is run by nepotism. His competence doesn't have anything to do with it.

ie. blame the jews
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 528x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 528x544
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
>>69875649
Why is she so casual about being pounded by the Chairdonian Ambassador right in front of the Captain?
>>
File: 1.jpg (26 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
26 KB, 600x350
>Captain’s Log

>Of all the footage that was shown to us, it was a clip from what I can only presume is the opening of the film that truly has me optimistic about Star Trek Beyond. Unlike the first two movies, it harkens back to the classic opening of the television series: Kirk recording his captain’s log.

>The clip began with the Enterprise softly gliding through space, with the voice of Chris Pine’s Captain James T. Kirk opening his log entry revealing that it is Star Date 2263.45, and that the crew is celebrating the third year of their five year mission. Unfortunately, this time floating through space is taking its toll on everyone, as it’s particularly hard to figure out "where one day ends and another begins" – illustrated with Kirk going into his closet and seeing nothing but a row of yellow uniforms.

>After watching Kirk go through his morning routine, he and a mug of coffee make their way out to the deck of the Enterprise, where everyone is already hard at work in their various positions. Kirk’s voice-over notes the importance of making the ship feel like home as the camera pans over Sulu (John Cho), who has a photo of his young daughter taped to the control panel in front of him.
>>
>>69875845
Being high on all of the new CG tricks that the industry over uses.
See lighting tricks, unnecessary dithering, blurring when fore- or background elements are in perfect clarity.. basically trying too hard to mesmerize without keeping to the logic of physics and viewer's vantage point.
>>
>>69876009

>As the voice-over speaks to the stress that the mission has put on the ship, we get a glimpse into the engineering department, where we see Scotty (Simon Pegg) and Keenser (Deep Roy) futzing around. The footage then follows through the halls of the Enterprise, watching young uniformed male and female crewmates catching eyes. As the scene spills into montage, Kirk notes that this is a pretty natural thing, but it has its up-sides - cut to two young crewmembers kissing in a room - and down-sides - cut to an alien crewmember kicking out a half dressed Chekov (Anton Yelchin).

>Cutting back to the deck, we see Kirk getting comfortable in his captain’s chair, but the voice-over admits that the day-to-day has become episodic, and that repetition and boredom has led to questioning exactly what it is that they’re doing on the mission. The clip ends as the Enterprise sails towards what’s been reported to be the Starbase Yorktown.

>This Star Trek Beyond clip did a fantastic job setting a tone for the movie it’s in front of, and it’s exactly the tone that you want from Star Trek. While Captain Kirk may be getting a bit restless, it still featured a sense of needed optimism that will hopefully be featured throughout the rest of the film.
>>
>>69876009
Context?
>>
>>69875649
She is the most classy hoe on trek ever phams and you all know it. She is the kinda hard to get chick but Picard never even tried to get the only the tip of his dick wet. it's a fucking shame. she really needed a proper dicking. That one highland episode where her grandma or similar died just shows all her lust she has deep within her all the time.
>>
File: 2.jpg (24 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
24 KB, 600x350
>>69876009
>>69876050

>Kirk And Bones Have A Moment

>Kirk and Leonard ‘Bones’ McCoy (Karl Urban) were among the first two future crew members of the Enterprise to meet each other in the J.J. Abrams Star Trek universe, and the second clip shown from Star Trek Beyond capitalized on that bond. We learned from the Fan Event that Bones will actually be paired with Zachary Quinto’s Spock for a large portion of the film, while Kirk will be with Chekov, but the movie still found a moment for the old friends.

>The scene started with Kirk looking glum at the bar and drinking alone, an odd shaped bottle of dark liquid next to his arm. Bones comes in apologizing for being late, providing an excuse about Keenser being sick and leaking corrosive liquids. Making his way to the opposite side of the bar, the doctor questions the captain about what he’s drinking – which Kirk reveals is leftover Saurian Brandy (a callback to many episodes of the various television shows). Bones objects to this, warning that his friend is going to go blind, and instead whips out a bottle of 30 year scotch. McCoy admits that he stole it out of Chekov’s locker, and the friends muse about the surprise that it wasn’t vodka.
>>
>>69876054
New Star Trek: Beyond trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvq3y8BhZ2s
>>
>>69875162
This isn't too bad for a fanmade thing.
>>
>>69875822
>The Alliance dissolved after the Dominion War was over. Nemesis confirms that the Feds and Romulans resumed their chilly relations in the beginning of the film.
>And the Feds would NEVER willingly share vital tech like quantum slipstream because it would make the Romulans even more dangerous.

Yeah, okay. Right, I guess I erased Nemesis from my memory. Still the asymmetry of the situation is interesting and the Romulans are good at spying.
>>
>>69876009
>>69876050
>>69876090

>It turns out that the third year of the five year mission isn’t the only big anniversary happening on the ship, as Bones recalls that Kirk’s birthday is coming up. This is kind of a sore subject for the captain; however, as fans will remember that in this universe he was born on the same day that his father was killed in a battle with Nero. In conversation, Bones approaches this subject rather bluntly, which gives Kirk opportunity to retort, "Did they teach you about bedside manner?" The clink glasses and drink – both simultaneously wincing and commenting on how good it is.

>Refusing to let the subject go, Bones inquires if his friend his going to call his mom on the day – which gives Kirk pause, given that he is now one year older than his father ever was. As heard in the trailer, he then muses on his dad’s legacy in Star Fleet, noting that he had noble intentions within the organization while Kirk had just joined on a dare. Bones responds that the captain has just spent his entire life looking up to George Kirk, and that now he needs to be his own man. He then raises a glass, saying, "To perfect eyesight and a full head of hair." As they once again drink, the captain asks the doctor to keep his birthday under wraps – to which Bones responds, "You know me, Mr. Sensitive."

>Knowing that Star Trek Beyond will separate these two characters for a considerable amount of screentime, it’s nice to see them have this moment here, and it’s an entertaining scene. Chris Pine and Karl Urban have always had good chemistry together, and Simon Pegg’s script has the right amount of humor to keep some lightness in a serious conversation.
>>
File: 3.jpg (32 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
32 KB, 600x350
>>69876009
>>69876050
>>69876090
>>69876146

>The Destruction Of The Enterprise

>After two dialogue-heavy scenes, the Star Trek Beyond footage wasn’t ready to let fans go without a bigger taste of what the film has in store action-wise. It’s previewed in the trailer, but we got to watch an extended version of the sequence where the Enterprise is destroyed in a destructive hail of ships attacking as an unstoppable swarm.

>The footage began with no real context for exactly what’s going on in the scene – but that really just succeeds in making it all the freakier. The crew on the Enterprise is completely baffled by what is attacking them or how to defend themselves, so Kirk calls for Sulu to warp them out of the situation – but this proves to be a failed maneuver, as the drive can’t be engaged. Outside the ships continue to absolutely pummel the famous star vessel, and everyone from the front deck to engineering is in full-blown panic.
>>
>>69875958
>""
You are doing it wrong.
>>
>>69876009
>>69876050
>>69876090
>>69876146
>>69876182

>As the footage cut more into montage mode (likely because the sequence hasn’t been entirely completed just yet), we got to watch sequences of Krall (Idris Elba) boarding the Enterprise, Kirk calling for everyone to abandon ship, the engines being completely blown off, and Scotty narrowly escaping a face-to-face meet with Star Trek Beyond’s central villain. The crashing Enterprise winds up finding itself caught in the gravity of a nearby planet, and Chekov assists others getting to their pods before launching himself. We see Sulu get away in a pod by himself, but midflight we see him get slammed by part of the swarm.

>Because we hadn’t seen them spend any time together in the clips to that point, the footage concluded with a scene of Kirk and Spock coming together, with Kirk saying, "We make a good team," and his friend retorting, "I believe we do."

>After the controversial first trailer for Star Trek Beyond that was released all the way back in December, I have to admit to being a bit wary about the blockbuster. This footage helped push me in the complete opposite direction. It was fun, thrilling, and managed to squeeze in some good character work in a short amount of time. Of course, it should be recognized that this footage was obviously put together to make the movie look as good as possible and build buzz, but I also can’t say that it didn’t do just that.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3-Extra-Star-Trek-Beyond-Scenes-Were-Just-Screened-Fans-132447.html
>>
>>69876140
Why does Nemesis get so much flak? It wasn't perfect but I thought Tom Hardy as Shinzon was interesting.
>>
When does Enterprise get good?
>>
>>69876323
Season 3
>>
>>69871165
>teleports two lifesigns just because they're touching eachother
i don't remember it working like that in the series
>>
>>69876252
It's literally a prequel in quality for all JJ films afterwards. I wouldn't wonder when he just looked the last movie to pick up the feel of how trek works.
>>
>>69876252
It sort of changed the cannon of the Romulans too drastically and the finale was the same as in IX.
All memeing aside I think the RLM review is spot-on
http://redlet[REMOVE]termedia.com/plinkett/star-trek/star-trek-nemesis/

But I agree, Hardy is great as always. Even while being under-weight and abusing drugs.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 528x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 528x544
>>69876190
First day on tv, sugartits?
>>
>TV is showing star trek series at night, give it a shot
>they aged quite badly and boring
Is there a good point to start tv series? the borgs look interesting, which TV shows/season is it?
>>
>>69876371
Hmm, I can sorta see what you mean.

The premise was interesting. A clone of Picard being used by the Romulans and the whole Voice vs Echo debate was cool.

However, I hated how the Remans looked because they were uninspired vampire knockoffs, the Scimitar was an uber-wank, and the B4 deus ex machina was lame. If Data had actually died, they would've gotten my respect.

Besides Shinzon, I think the Reman coup was interesting. An oppressed race of slave labor and cannon fodder assassinating the entire Romulan Senate is DS9-level intrigue. I'm surprised they didn't explore more about the Remans. I personally thought they were collaborating with the Dominion to undermine the Romulan Star Empire in another attempt to fuck over the Alpha Quadrant powers.

>>69876429
You know, after Nemesis and the supernova that annihilated Romulus, I wonder what the political fallout was like? A major galactic power lost billions of its people and the capital. Not to mention a good amount of its officers, bureaucrats, scientists, etc. Wouldn't other powers want to take advantage of this and the Feds are in the middle to ensure there isn't anarchy?
>>
So basically the New Trek

>Makes an obvious jab at the canonical series with "I can't be like my dad, I need to be my own thing lmao please like me"
>Makes an even more obvious jab by complaining about the episodic nature of the various tv series.

True kino, bravo.
>>
>>69876639
>Is there a good point to start tv series? the borgs look interesting, which TV shows/season is it?
Don't know but I doubt there is any way to figure it out.
>>
File: franklin-poster.jpg (1018 KB, 1447x658) Image search: [Google]
franklin-poster.jpg
1018 KB, 1447x658
Probably some manner of Captain's Yacht. Far too small for a proper starship.
>>
>>69876748
>You know, after Nemesis and the supernova that annihilated Romulus, I wonder what the political fallout was like? A major galactic power lost billions of its people and the capital. Not to mention a good amount of its officers, bureaucrats, scientists, etc. Wouldn't other powers want to take advantage of this and the Feds are in the middle to ensure there isn't anarchy?
Is this in a novel? But yes, it makes a great plot.
>>
>>69876909
No, but it's common sense on a geopolitical scale. Any student of history would tell you that when a major power suffers destabilization, all sorts of chaos ensues in the power vacuum. It's what happened to Byzantium when Constantinople got sacked in 1204.

I know in Next Gen's finale, they mentioned that the Klingons conquered the Romulans in that alternate timeline. The Klingons would be salivating at the thought of their hated rivals being weakened and ripe for the plucking after the supernova. The Feds would be concerned and want to rein in their ally, but that would cause a fuckton of tension.
>>
>>69877037
Mate I mean the super-nova.
>Any student of history would tell you
I am actually working on my PhD in history right now. Well I should do that to be precise.
>>
>>69877037
If you want to find out, go play Star Trek Online.

It's the closest thing to post-Nemesis canon that CBS has given a passing blessing to.
>>
>>69876748
The Coup was interesting but they didn't explore it they used it as a vehicle in plot.

>have somewhat of a Democracy for thousands of years
>senate gets killed
>killer becomes head of state

Funny coincidence between JJ1 and Nemesis is that Shinzon and Remans were miners and a Romulan mining ship destroyed Vulcan.

There were also more and more action based sequences like the offroad tour they took at the beginning or Datas space walk or that forced closeness of Picard and Shinzon when the latter died. Pulling himself through the blade to Picard saying
>now we are one
>>
File: nnKU16i.jpg (3 MB, 1080x8800) Image search: [Google]
nnKU16i.jpg
3 MB, 1080x8800
>>69876639
Watch the pilot and then you can skip to the episode "Q Who" which introduces the Borg. After that, watch "The Measure of a Man" then move on to season 3.

But once you get hooked, I recommend that you go back to the beginning and watch every single episode, skipping nothing.
>>
>>69877096
The supernova was a major plot point in the 2009 Abbrams Trek film. It's why the Abbrams movies are set in an alternate timeline because Romulus got destroyed by a supernova which Spock was unable to prevent.
>>
>>69877168
Wait, what? Wasn't that Vulcan?
>>
>>69877037
>when Constantinople got sacked in 1204.
>>
>>69877306
>>69877168
Nevermind I remember. Still getting confused with this alternative timeline shit. It's going to be interesting to see whether they will "leave" Romulus destroyed in the new show.
>>
>>69877117
Ah, I've heard a lot about that game.

Why don't they just make a show about post-Nemesis? It's set 50 years after the supernova and it deals with the political landscape.

>>69877156
You could hardly call the Romulan Senate a democracy. They were a plutocracy in the guise of a representative body that ran a police state over the populace. No surprise that Shinzon and the Remans managed to take control because they had military force and the people were cowed to accept an usurper than face anarchy.

Honestly, the coup would've been fascinating if it had been assisted by outside forces. I loved The Undiscovered Country film and it would've been interesting if Section 31 had given covert aid to the Remans so that the Romulans would suffer a massive setback. The Romulans were the only adversaries post-Dominion War that could match the Feds.
>>
>>69877306
Romulus was destroyed in the TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY universe.

Vulcan was destroyed in the ENT-JJ universe.
>>
>>69877320
Constantinople was sacked in 1204 by Venetians and Crusaders which caused breakaway provinces and successor states to form. 1453 was when the Ottomans extinguished the Eastern Roman Empire.
>>
lol star track fucking sucks it's like starwars for nerds #dealwithit
>>
>>69877359
>Vulcan was destroyed in the ENT-JJ universe.
Y'know, if I were a Vulcan in the Abbrams timeline, I'd be very wary of the Federation and other races. There's only a couple thousand Vulcans left and the home planet was destroyed. Wouldn't that cause a lot of bitter feelings amongst the survivors and even have them reject Logic?
>>
>>69872380

I think they're better than most of the Trek movies.
>>
File: 43r4354545.png (998 KB, 1549x871) Image search: [Google]
43r4354545.png
998 KB, 1549x871
Friendly reminder Dukat did nothing wrong
>>
>>69877359
but romulus is going to get destroyed in both since it was destroyed by supernova+red matter
>>
>>69877466
>Better than Wrath of Khan or First Contact
No way. Both Abbrams movie rely a lot on flash but no substance.
>>
File: Cogenitor.jpg (39 KB, 541x541) Image search: [Google]
Cogenitor.jpg
39 KB, 541x541
>>69875958
*nods approvingly*
>>
>>69877391
>foreigner
Didn't know precise meaning of sacked
>>
>>69877511
But Spock can warn them.

>Dear Starfleet,
>Don't open this letter until the year 2387.
>>
>>69874022
TNG had Wesley Crusher and holodeck shit. The holodeck could be fun but the technology boners were shitty. Plus most of the problems were like middle management office type problems.

Voyager was voyager.

DS9 was a lot stronger than the other new series imo, but TOS had a very very strong aesthetic, excellent concepts. People whine about the acting or the scripts, but they were way better than TNG. Don't get me wrong, Patrick Stewart is a great actor. And yeah, Patrick Stewart is a great actor.

So DS9 and TOS are top. TNG is alright but a lot of people have stronger nostalgia goggles for that imo. The endings kind of sum it up, TOS they reform the crew and steal the ship and have camaraderie beyond camaraderie. TNG Picard sits in on a card game. Weak.
>>
>its an O'Brien is the only normal person episode
>>
File: brahms004.jpg (14 KB, 240x177) Image search: [Google]
brahms004.jpg
14 KB, 240x177
I know that this is a little bit off-topic, but does anyone have any Dr. Leah Brahms / Susan Gibney nudes.
I just want to pamper her, make her some of my (in)famous Fungilli, and then *CENSORED*.
>>
>>69877636
You'd think so, but would Spock really risk fucking with the timeline like that?

And even the Feds might not give a fuck about saving Romulus.
>>
>>69877636
because a letter is going to stop a star from exploding. i'm sure stars are very rational beings
>>
Hold the door.
>>
>>69877654
This. Picard is some far away ruler. I can't understand why he's after all still commanding a ship.
>>
File: 7965.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
7965.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>>69876050
>we see Kirk getting comfortable in his captain’s chair, but the voice-over admits that the day-to-day has become episodic
>>
>>69877692
The Feds could warn the Romulans months before the explosion. The Romulans can easily evacuate if they had months to prepare.
>>
>>69877692
They had a plan to save Romulus last time, they just enacted that plan too slowly.

This time they just need to make it so a little faster.

>>69877690
Spock already interfered and would have no trouble interfering again.
>>
>>69877391

>I can google!
>>
>>69877654
>So DS9 and TOS are top. TNG is alright but a lot of people have stronger nostalgia goggles for that imo. The endings kind of sum it up, TOS they reform the crew and steal the ship and have camaraderie beyond camaraderie. TNG Picard sits in on a card game. Weak.

There was never a TOS finale. You have made a subjective statement regarding DS9 and TOS being top. I love DS9, but have trouble even watching many TOS episodes because of how it's shot, as well as the acting and scripts. You can see older film techniques that take away from the viewer's ability to appreciate the dialogue. Constantly using the shadowplay lighting, the eyeliner, just jarring visuals that take me out of it.
>>
>>69877821
Spock interfered because Nero fucked things up so much that he felt that he was correcting the new timeline to its proper course. Remember how he wouldn't even give too much info about Khan and the future to his younger counterpart?
>>
>>69877853
I'm actually a Byzantophile.

>>69877873
You could argue The Undiscovered Country was TOS' final episode.
>>
>>69877873
The finale to TOS is the TOS movies.

Meanwhile, the TNG movies are embarrassments that we do our best to ignore.
>>
>>69877933
>>69877933
>You could argue The Undiscovered Country was TOS' final episode.

No you couldn't, the movies are owned by entirely different production houses, Gene Roddenberry only had a hand in two of them, mainly the Motionless Picture (visual orgasms aside).
>>
>>69877853
>american education
>>
>>69877885
He hems and haws and insists that he really shouldn't interfere, but he always ends up interfering anyway.

He'll save Romulus while protesting that he shouldn't be saving Romulus.
>>
>>69876146
karl urban is pretty based, also

>"To perfect eyesight and a full head of hair."

is that a jab at placard?
>>
>>69877948
The Finale to TOS is Star Trek Beyond then.
Check and mate!
>>
>>69877948
Why didn't they do a DS9 movie instead of Insurrection and Nemesis? A film during the Dominion War would've been awesome as fuck. In fact, what role did Picard play in that conflict?
>>
File: 3425.jpg (47 KB, 640x269) Image search: [Google]
3425.jpg
47 KB, 640x269
>>69878025

Yea and perfect eyesight is a reference to Bones buying him glasses for his bday
>>
>>69878019
>the movies are owned by entirely different production houses,
The IP split is a recent development, not something that ever actually mattered before the JJ era.

>Gene Roddenberry only had a hand in two of them,
Who gives a shit about Gene Roddenberry? He never did anything worthwhile. Everything good that you remember from TOS came from other writers like Gene Coon and Dorothy Fontana.
>>
>>69877948
Star Trek TMP, III, and V were shit though.
>>
File: 4532.jpg (706 KB, 1200x1595) Image search: [Google]
4532.jpg
706 KB, 1200x1595
>>69878134
>Star Trek TMP
>shit
>>
>>69878110
>A film during the Dominion War would've been awesome as fuck. In fact, what role did Picard play in that conflict?
Insurrection
>>
>>69877667
Fucking love him and pretty much all his arcs.
>>
>>69878123
Go to sleep Grandpa, you can't force your own logic into a situation.
There was no finale to TOS.
The movies weren't even part of the five year mission.

Who gives a shit? Gene was a major part of TOS, the first two seasons have his name all over them.
>>
>>69878134
>falling for the even-odd meme
III has some weaknesses, but it also has some of the best scenes of the franchise, including the stealing of the Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEmAi8Yp-A0
>>
>>69878164
>le reddit go home!
>haha! xD called him a reddi/t/urd!
Thanks for hanging up your hat this early.
>>
>>69878269
He's not wrong though. Only turboplebs dislike TMP
>>
>>69878264
Still they are all overrated.
All the movies save for II and VI, can't even touch the series. All Trekkies prefer an adherence to the universe as opposed to box office numbers
>>
>>69877873
TOS was shot at a time when not all people had color TV. This is why they've chosen the colors they choose.
>>
>>69878264
THIS

Search for Spock is a good film. The crew, risking their careers and lives, to save Spock is an excellent inverse of "The Needs of the Many". Logically, it makes no sense from a Vulcan's POV for several people to go out of their way for 1 individual. But the whole point of Movie 3 was that emotion and friendship overcomes brutal calculation.
>>
>>69878218
>Gene was a major part of TOS, the first two seasons have his name all over them.
His name was on the episodes, but it was other people doing the hard work of coming up with all the good ideas.

Gene was too busy hiding his affair with Majel from his wife Eileen, in addition to hiding his casting couch infidelity from his mistress Majel.
>>
>>69878164
what the hell is that crap?
>>
>>69878361
>plebs! only PATRICIANS like this movie
>check out my opinion
Any new insults or the same old bag of shit?
>>
File: smug-janeway.jpg (20 KB, 470x362) Image search: [Google]
smug-janeway.jpg
20 KB, 470x362
>>69878414
My main point stands that you can not even make an argument about the movies being a TOS finale since they were not a part of the five year mission, the entire premise of the TOS series.
Come at me when you get some coffee out of your nebula (pantry; fridge)
>>
>>69878442
>I am making shit up lol
>>
File: Eugene_Wessel_Rottenbarie.jpg (87 KB, 679x542) Image search: [Google]
Eugene_Wessel_Rottenbarie.jpg
87 KB, 679x542
>>69878442
>I'm out of ammo, better bring up drugs and philandery!
>>
>>69878617
>>69878657
Who do you think you're fooling? It's well-documented that Gene spent all his time during TOS having sex and stealing credit from the other writers.

Even Gene's son Rod talks about it in Trek Nation.
>>
ITS
GONNA
BE
SHIT

>Kurtzman
>pre TNG post TOS
>muh muh "Bryan Fuller" - no, this is a negative, sorry.
>etc what we've heard
>nothing yet revealed/announced/leaked
>casting will probably be shit
>lol enjoy our subscription service - love CBS

Nope. Trek is dead. Thanks JJ.
>>
>>69878745
>>muh muh "Bryan Fuller" - no, this is a negative, sorry.
I never thought that I would ever write these words, but: You should watch some more Voyager.

Bryan Fuller was one of the few good things about that series.
>>
>>69878592
I wasn't the one having an argument with you, I was just pointing out a fact.

However, every movie was a TOS finale, because all actors thought it would be their last time together. And that shitty 5 year premise you just pulled out of your ass to win an argument. The mission was 5 years. They even got a new Enterprise but Kirk retook the command.
>>
>>69877873
>I love DS9, but have trouble even watching many TOS episodes because of autism
Seriously tho shooting styles vary all the time. I think all the TNG era series suffer from that "we've just discovered digital editing in 480p" thing that came in in the late 80s and 90s, and I find that fairly jarring. And like I said the aesthetic in general with the bright techno whatevers I was never keen on. I do like TNG but it really really had flaws

>>69877784
The extent of his command tends to be like "stop bullying Barcley he has aspergers, get the 12 year old off the bridge, No. 2 please stop trying to hire me a prostitute I'm trying to concentrate on my archaeology". Stewart plays him well but he's not a great character. TOS it's a lot more like they're on a submarine, everyone's in each other's faces and there's a bit of bulls fighting for territory going on.

I just remembered that super awkward fake son episode in TNG, that was a weird one.
>>
>>69878710
We were originally talking about how laughable it is to consider TOS movies as a finale and how laughable it is the idea that Gene wasn't the primary force behind TOS Seasons 1 and 2. He was an adulterer and maybe he occasionally did some re-writes, but he supported DC Fontana, Gene Coon, and collaborated with all of them up until Season 3. I have Trek Nation, stealing credit was not a part of anything they discussed.
Can't stay on topic? Late for your nap?
>>
>>69878842
I didn't pull it out of my ass, it's one of this biggest facts of early canon, how could you be this obtuse about something so well known about the original series?

>every movie was a TOS finale

No, it wasn't. They were all separate entities in their own right with different stories, different producers, different writers, different artists.

You want to carry that into Generations? Shatner was in that? This is how absurd you sound.
>>
>>69878861
I think a lot of people have a very tainted memory of Gene because the worst bits of TNG tend to be his bits that he insisted on. Such as Gary Stu man becomes God, Wes
>>
>>69878958
I didn't dismiss the 5 years, but they had no meaning in the movies since Kirk retook command of the Entprise in the first movie. For the actors every new movie was a new finale and you can see this kind of chemistry in the movies.

You sound pretty mad tb h
>>
>>69878958
>They were all separate entities in their own right
You definitely can't argue this for 2 3 and 4. The ending to 2 and 3 are the starts of 3 and 4
>>
>>69879121
>You sound pretty mad
*concerned
>>
>>69878535
It's amusing how predictable plebs are when called out. Discussing films, discussing tv, discussing literature, same old dance of sophistry and 'w...well you're just elitist!'
>>
>>69879121
>>69879121
>I didn't dismiss the 5 years, but they had no meaning in the movies
Then how could they be finales, using your logic? If they had no meaning in the movies, using your absurd logic, they can't be finales, they are unconnected (in your stupidly senile mind).
Also, do you know what a finale is? It's when the writers and showrunners and the network all agree on a final episode to wrap up a series. They are not movies, they are driven by the need to conclude a series, this is television we are talking about now, stay with me.
>>
File: 1463666777754.jpg (46 KB, 542x535) Image search: [Google]
1463666777754.jpg
46 KB, 542x535
>>69879184
Found you..
>>
>>69876887

Doesn't seem to be a yacht, I bet it's either a science ship gone missing or another "star fleet secret combat ship" that got lost or w/e. From the trailer it seems to pack a punch
>>
>>69879245
>It's when the writers and showrunners and the network all agree on a final episode to wrap up a series.
TNG and DS9 had finales.

>inb4 you think that their network was CBS
>>
File: Data-Das-It-Mane.jpg (33 KB, 522x593) Image search: [Google]
Data-Das-It-Mane.jpg
33 KB, 522x593
>>69879190
>plebs
There's that word again, that spook of yours that has resonance in what has become vacuums for illogic and anglers.
What would we discuss now, seeing as your logical fallacies, no wait, mental deficiencies have lead you into your own cul de sac of dismissal?
>>
>>69879340
>>69879340
>TNG and DS9 had finales.
Yes, and so did Voyager and Enterprise.
My point was that they were naturally concluding the series per the original 1:30:00 precedent set on TNG.
The Original Series was cancelled before they could do any such thing and the only element that was well known throughout the series was started at the beginning; the five year mission which Kirk occasionally came back to.
>>
The new logo suggests that there's some kind of Civil War happening. What if the Federation is experiencing one?
>>
>>69879245
>setting up a definition
Ok.

They had no meaning because this part was history. But because of Vger Kirk made Star Fleet Command give him command of the new Enterprise eventhough it was assigned to a guy called Decker. This is why the 5 years have no meaning any more.

You can't compare TOS to any other series since the movies are also cannon. This is why the movies count.

Then this >>69879129
They linked it like this because they didn't even know in the first place if they are going to shoot a sequel. This is why every movie was a finale for the cast.
>>
>>69879547
My point is that they don't fit your definition, because you're making your definitions up on the spot and not really paying any attention to how accurate or inaccurate they are.

Basically, it was a mistake to hold a conversation with you, because all you're doing is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
>>
>>69879705
Is my definition any more absurd than saying those movies are "finales" just to make your beloved original series seem better?

What's the point of saying such a thing? No one who produced that ever inferred such a thing. Whether the five year mission is canon or not doesn't even need to be discussed, you've made a statement that is not even provable, it's categorically incorrect in light of the fact that it's an all new journey.

We agree All Good Things was the finale of TNG?
If so, then there was never a finale of TOS by the same standards and you can't change them to fit yours.
>>
>>69879696
>>69879705
Holy fuck this guy
You should just say that when the very last fan made movie referencing Kirk or the originals finishes then the finale will be realised from the first show
>>
>>69879873
The cast itself said it. Your definition is made up by a random guy who hadn't had to do anything with Star Trek or its production and is spering about his favorite TNG.
>>
>>69880050
>>69880050
>The cast itself said it.
Even if you could cite me a source, it wouldn't matter because it wouldn't be the finale since the cast doesn't have anything to do with the network, writers, producers, and showrunners and never were a part of a finale for the series.. Desilu and the original writers and producers weren't involved who would explicitly finish the series if they knew the network was terminating it's fourth season.
TNG is not my favorite Trek, BTW, I don't have one. I'm not some child that needs to pick a "best friend" out of all my friends (but I'm sure you'll use that not to continue this argument).

I think you are the one arguing for the sake of it now.
>>
>>69880217
You were arguing with two persons, and yes, I was only arguing for the sake of it. And again you pulled your definition about finals out of your ass.
>>
File: doutput.webm (645 KB, 1920x798) Image search: [Google]
doutput.webm
645 KB, 1920x798
>>
>>69880354

I believe you were arguing with more than one person because some of these posts aren't mine.

You've cited nothing, so if I'm pulling anything out of my ass, I'm in the same company as myself. I have no way of differentiating you from these other posts (if it actually isn't you).
>>
File: worf-farbeyondthestars.jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
worf-farbeyondthestars.jpg
64 KB, 640x480
/TV/ needs at least flags or session ids to be able actually know when we're seeing the same autists

thesse threads are garbage lately
>>
>>69880541
Or you could just ignore the more autistic posts
>>
>>69877157
pls tell me there is a ds9 list like this
>>
File: lUIRofP.jpg (4 MB, 1080x8900) Image search: [Google]
lUIRofP.jpg
4 MB, 1080x8900
>>69881025
>>
File: Buck_bokai.jpg (30 KB, 459x560) Image search: [Google]
Buck_bokai.jpg
30 KB, 459x560
>>69881782
>hating on Buck Bokai
>>
Watched almost all the ST series except for TAS and VOY. Saw the first 3 ST movies too, they were okay.

Should I bother watching the first two JJTrek films? I'm bored. Or should I try to understand quantum time traveling newts
>>
>>69882084
Why not watch TAS?
Why not watch the rest of the movies before jumping to JJT?
>>
File: KirkBonesNOd.gif (1 MB, 325x245) Image search: [Google]
KirkBonesNOd.gif
1 MB, 325x245
>>69881782
>mfw watching the entirety of DS9 currently
>mfw haven't really disliked any of the episodes so far
>>
File: KIRK_IS_A_JERK_1200_1424_81_s.jpg (119 KB, 1200x1424) Image search: [Google]
KIRK_IS_A_JERK_1200_1424_81_s.jpg
119 KB, 1200x1424
>>69883238
As someone who has watched all the Trek series movies, even JJTrek, is it hard to get through TAS?
I mean, I know "Gene" said it was canon, but I've seen the animation and it's really, really bad. I have enough trouble watching "good" cartoons, so I need to know what to do about this entry-level crisis I'm having.
I could be missing out on decent Trek, maybe I'm too much of a pleb for TAS.
Is TAS the ultimate plebfilter?
>>
File: 1460126332091.png (743 KB, 1384x1496) Image search: [Google]
1460126332091.png
743 KB, 1384x1496
>>69875703
>Star Trek 09 was exactly what it needed to be

I'm fucking tired of this shit. No it was not you idiots.

Star Trek is not a dumb action flick franchise. Star Trek movies should be about exploring and science.

And don't try to tell me that modern audiences don't want that. Look at Interstellar, Gravity or The Martian box office.
>>
>>69883852
Gene said it was Canon? It had a bunch of Niven crossover episodes tho so I don't see how that'd work.

I remember it being fun when I saw reruns as a kid. I know some are almost direct copy pastes from the show too.
>>
>>69883944
well we got a bunch of that and it was mostly shit, that's what Star Trek had to become to stay relevant in people's minds.

If you want the science, that's better suited to the TV shows.

The reboots were fine.
>>
>>69883944
>Star Trek movies should be about exploring and science.
They should be about a cross between Hercules and Odysseus sailing around fucking strange new pussy and getting out of bad situations with cunning and wit.
>>
>>69884184

Kirk is not 100% of ST.
>>
>>69884169

But that's not true at all. They tried turning it into pure action with TNG movies and it failed hard.
>>
File: Picture-28.png (825 KB, 955x710) Image search: [Google]
Picture-28.png
825 KB, 955x710
>>69884184
This time without the help of Apollo.
>Hating on based Pan
>Thinking he could fug Athena
Nigga was out of his cotdamn mind!
>>
I got more enjoyment from the Abrams flicks than VOY or ENT.

Though to be fair I didn't really care for Into Darkness and probably would never bother to give it another watch
>>
File: jake-fishing-for-attention.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
jake-fishing-for-attention.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
>>
>>69880354
>I was only arguing for the sake of it.

trek general posters, ev1
say no to /stg/
>>
>>69874022
agree with most of that but what the hell dude, mock campaigns, false flag ops, actual politics really, has been going on for like 2000 years.
>>
>>69884334
But the reboots didn't. They were major successes.
>>
File: Das it mane - Data - Star Trek.jpg (75 KB, 522x593) Image search: [Google]
Das it mane - Data - Star Trek.jpg
75 KB, 522x593
>When you're watching Enterprise and the opening titles turn from white to black
>>
>>69874335
probably not about that for him, more about corrupting those who hold their own incorruptibility so high. using powers directly would be 'cheating'
>>
>>69884463
It's not linear.
>>
>>69875929

/pol/ plz go. We are tired of you dirty cardies fucking shit up.
>>
>>69884399
Star Trek got boring. Sure, the spinoffs had some of the most powerful and emotional episodes in Trek, but overall, as a series, they're all pretty forgettable. As evidenced by the fact that most people have forgotten them.

People still remember Kirk fighting the lizard man or "banging the green chick". The original Trek was an action adventure show with a dash of poignancy to elevate it from mindless action. There are waaaay too many Trek fans who either forget this or are in denial about it. Usually they're the ones complaining about J.J. Trek even though it uses those same ingredients and has been a huge success.

See I wonder if we'd had a film like Trek 09 as TMP if Star Trek wouldn't have a fan following akin to Star Wars. It was around first, was hugely popular in reruns and people were disappointed when they saw TMP and its tone was nothing like people remembered. It was as if Roddenberry and Co. said "What Star Wars is doing? Yeah, do the opposite of that".

Star Wars is a great ride. Yes, it is paper thin in terms of story and depth. It's fun, exciting and feels like a real adventure. Meanwhile Star Trek just got more preachy and "issue oriented" despite the fact that TV taboos were pretty much gone and we no longer needed Star Trek to covertly talk about things like racism, drugs, etc. when regular TV was talking about those things openly and more boldly than Trek ever did. And rather than say "that phase of the franchise is over, let's get back to our roots", they just kept on and got preachy. Preach is boring.

I'll take Kirk fighting the lizard man any day.
>>
File: rapegags.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rapegags.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>"i learned how to avoid the rapegangs"
>data is a sexbot

WHAT THE FUCK

i didnt know startrek was liek this
>>
>>69885497
Shit

You're right
>>
>>69884814
>major successes
It's hard to argue this. The first one was mainly hated for the "alternate timeline", which really did more for preserving the original timeline and obviated the potential for it to sully further the original series.

Not to mention, it's all about canon which no one can agree upon except in the most obvious of cases (all the network series and the pre-JJ movies).
>>
>>69885547

Denise Crosby sure could make your dick dance without touching it.

>>69885497

I miss the "Reader's Digest" style of copypasta. Got anymore?
>>
>>69885630
thats the only thing, the women wear such sexy tight clothes. makes me want to work out.

which star trek is the one with the titty captain?
>>
>>69885497
Kirk never banged the green chick (except in the reboot but that was different)
>>
>>69872380
Nope I enjoyed em both and looking forward to this one.
>>
>>69885761

that would be "Start Rek: Voyeur" starring the grand Hen "Kate Mulgrew"
>>
>>69885572
>critical acclaim
>major financial profits
>most of the fanbase was fine with it

only some people on /tv/ (which is know for being contrarian and irrational) didn't like them.
>>
>>69885854
oh thanks. the woman i was thinking of is the one in the background with the shit on her face
>>
File: timesorphan_405.jpg (70 KB, 692x530) Image search: [Google]
timesorphan_405.jpg
70 KB, 692x530
>it's a "Miles and Keiko attempt to abandon their severely traumatized child in a wasteland because reestablishing social skills is just too much work" episode

She was getting in the way of Miles's playtime on the holodeck.
>>
File: GornRIP.jpg (82 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
GornRIP.jpg
82 KB, 600x450
>>69885497
>lizard man

RIP Gorn Captain - You had the best fight music in all the series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM.
>>
>>69885893
>most of the fanbase was fine with it
Only the cucks who are like "they were a hit with normies! m-maybe Chad will stop beating me up for being a nerd now!" are "fine" with them.
>>
>>69877539

I said most. I was specifically thinking of TWoK and FC when I thought of movies that were better, I think ID is slightly better than TUC and they're kinda pretty similar movies I feel but TUC has aged as well as the others.
>>
>>69885979
That episode was fucked up. In what world is that the solution the writers thought was best.
>>
>>69875070
r*dditor trying to rewrite history yet again.
>>
File: image.gif (363 KB, 369x259) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
363 KB, 369x259
>>69886008
>>
File: perfectly-sane-man.png (313 KB, 420x426) Image search: [Google]
perfectly-sane-man.png
313 KB, 420x426
>>69886060
A world in which this man is a god.
>>
File: Dam son.jpg (87 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Dam son.jpg
87 KB, 540x540
>Scotty fought on D-day
>>
>>69886060
It's my main complaint about Star Trek.

>we can heal anything except for when we can't

>we are tolerant of other species except for when we aren't

>we always back up our own...except for when we don't

At least DS9 was honest about Starfleet being full of hypocritical fucks.
>>
>>69885999
did people think this was good when it first came out?
>>
File: 5436.jpg (2 MB, 1415x2000) Image search: [Google]
5436.jpg
2 MB, 1415x2000
>>69886233

Yea he got his middle finger blown off as well.

They always tried to hide it in Trek and they had a double's hand in any closeups but you can see it sometimes.
>>
>>69886318
It's the reason DS9 is almost indisputably the best Trek because it holds up a mirror to all the holier than thou Kool-Aid drinkers who believe that a reality such as TNG is possible. It's not and never will be. Competition and conflict are inevitable evolutionary processes and pretending we could turn off our instincts is not only false, it's arrogant folly.

And more to the point, it's a lot more compelling from the standpoint of the characters.
>>
>>69886459

No Trek was always known to be pretty camp.
>>
>>69886472
Damn,talk about giving the Germans the middle finger.
>>
File: 3456.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
3456.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>69886502
>holds up a mirror to all the holier than thou Kool-Aid drinkers who believe that a reality such as TNG is possible. It's not and never will be. Competition and conflict are inevitable evolutionary processes and pretending we could turn off our instincts is not only false, it's arrogant folly.
>>
>>69876352
In the quest for whales the woman hugged Kirk as he was beaming out and was transported with him.
>>
File: Untitled.png (289 KB, 645x364) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
289 KB, 645x364
>>69886233
>>69886472
>>69886572

Most famous moment where you can catch it
>>
>>69885999
>best fight music in all the series

How can one man be so WRONG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCamCYip2t4
>>
File: 1414359868854.gif (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1414359868854.gif
3 MB, 512x288
>>69886472
>hand double
Why? Is it hard to believe that an engineer might be missing a finger?

Or would it have just been too shocking for the american audience at the time
>>
>>69873224
it felt like 'Khan' but a lesser, more generic retelling

'Khan' worked because we saw him as Kirk's equal but opposite, a leader of men and women. Because we saw him lead his people. That endeared us to him or fleshed out his character/motivation. Not ever seeing Cumberbatch's people, for whom he fights, and playing him and le random lone wolf villain felt like a bastardization of the character. And his performance was decant too. JJ's direction was fine, just the writing was uninspired.
>>
File: Vreenak-fake.jpg (19 KB, 538x424) Image search: [Google]
Vreenak-fake.jpg
19 KB, 538x424
>>69875958
It's a faaaake!
>>
>>69886751
this music is so reminiscent of the hallucination scenes in altered states
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40FiMy-ak0k
>>
>>69886799

I still have no idea what they were going for with Khan. Like what the one sentence pitch for that character was. The entire characters hinges on you recognizing his name from a better movie
>>
>>69886629
They would make a good food source. Just toss them into a giant ass blender and make them into a protein pulp.
>>
File: the-outcast-hd-130.jpg (362 KB, 1436x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-outcast-hd-130.jpg
362 KB, 1436x1080
>>
File: sttng_bg.jpg (220 KB, 1583x1115) Image search: [Google]
sttng_bg.jpg
220 KB, 1583x1115
I'm watching The Next Generation for the first time. Partway through season 3 right now (just watched the episode with the Romulan defector).

Is TNG the best of Star Trek?
>>
>>69886629
He's just checking that tribble's oil.
>>
File: DukatAMA.png (342 KB, 522x484) Image search: [Google]
DukatAMA.png
342 KB, 522x484
>>69887036
>>
File: hotpink.png (1 MB, 1569x1177) Image search: [Google]
hotpink.png
1 MB, 1569x1177
>>69886629
Another famous trek moment.
>>
>>69887036
Why did they try to make the ugly "renegade Borg" ship a thing in '93/'94 merchandising? Why not just keep showing the normal Cube?
>>
File: 589599.jpg (339 KB, 3412x1180) Image search: [Google]
589599.jpg
339 KB, 3412x1180
>>69887036

DS9 is the more fashionable answer these days.

Honestly TOS, TNG or Ds9 would all be acceptable answers but it's TOS forever for me.
>>
>>69887079
>>69887194
I like the Romulans. They're fun adversaries.
>>
Is it worth watching through voyager just to look at seven of nine's body?
>>
File: seven-hair-astrew.png (1 MB, 1120x1075) Image search: [Google]
seven-hair-astrew.png
1 MB, 1120x1075
>>69887412
An unequivocal PROBABLY.
Actually, I find her to have one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen, even with a cleft chin.
>>
>>69887412

Voyager is worth watching for sure
>>
File: romulan commander.jpg (113 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
romulan commander.jpg
113 KB, 1440x1080
>>69887322

Yep
>>
>>69884382
so did they kill an actual god in this episode or what? it isn't really explained
>>
>>69887688
That was a good episode. I can't remember how common Romulan episodes were in TOS.
>>
>>69887757
Define "actual god"..
In "Who Mourns for Adonais?", Apollo basically tries to convince the Enterprise crew and Kirk that he really is the god Apollo from Roman mythology.

But not even halfway through, the viewer through narrative knows we are being presented those gods as having been aliens who came to our world to be worshipped as gods.

Essentially he as a very powerful and deceptive alien. One of my favorites from the original series.
>>
>>69887859

There's literally only two. The Balance of Terror one and that one.

They're both in the top ten episodes of the show then.
>>
>>69887412
She doesn't appear until much later in the series and as a whole the show has some pretty annoying characters. Just jerk off to jeri ryan and move on.
>>
>>69887757

It's very well explained.

He and his friends were ancient astronauts that the Greeks / Romans worshiped as gods. They were egotistical as fuck so when humans moved on to Christianity or what have you they all left. He is the real literal Apollo.
>>
>>69887959
They were good episodes but I wish they would've reigned in the whole "Roman Empire" look because it just made their uniforms look a little ridiculous.

Otherwise, I prefer the early version of the Romulans. There is less overt surreptitious intent.

>now that I think about it, those original costumes might even be better than the huge shoulder padded ones from TNG
>>
>>69887959
I can see why I can't remember others.

The Romulans in TNG are pretty cool, which is good since the Klingons don't really seem like antagonists anymore. I like that the actor who played G'Kar in B5 plays the Romulan ship commander.
>>
>>69874829
>born in 93
>also knew shatner from BL before Trek
>knew about TNG from spike reruns in the late 90's/early 00's, but didn't know about TOS till middle school

BL was clearly his best role+performance ever.

In the middle of DS9 atm, did I already watch the apex of the show, or do voyager and enterprise actually have some decent moments?
>>
>>69888156
VOY and ENT do have their good moments, definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed either TNG and / or DS9.

Enterprise is almost better the second time around.
>>
>>69885893

380 million box office with 150 million budget. 50% of box office goes to the studio. It was not a success.

Gravity did over 700 million at 100 million budget. The Martian 630 million with 100 million budget.

J.J.'s ST was a fiasco.
>>
>>69876252

it needed like 2-3 more rewrites

the general plot is fine, fairly star treky and interesting
the cgi was great, and a major improvement over insurrection
the directing was fine, even if baird was an asshole

it just needed to be rewritten a couple times, preferrably without brent spiner's continued input, to iron out some absurdly out of character moments, major plot conveniences, and make the rest of the cast more relevant.
>>
>>69888233
you know nothing.
>>
>>69886751

I stand corrected. That's the music I was looking for. Dat Cable Gui scene.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 68

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.