[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
star trek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 30
File: Picard.png (870 KB, 1232x939) Image search: [Google]
Picard.png
870 KB, 1232x939
Anyone into star trek? My dad used to always watch it but I've never touched it.

Watched the first episode of picard, it was a little slow at first. Felt like classic 90s television. But a actually got sucked into the story. Does every episode have heavy overtones of "21st century humans were so barbaric but now we've learned from the past"?
>>
start with the original series. watch literally everything.

no, it isn't all good; in fact about a third of it is legitimately bad, and another third is questionable/won't quite be your taste.

im sorry in advance but this is the only way. one does not simply slack into star trek.
>>
>>69847758
but don't watch sub rosa, it's literally unwatchable
>>
>>69847758
theres no way i'm sitting through kirk era
>>
>>69847567
The first season does, heavily. After that they only say things like that once in a while, but the general feeling is there in a subtle way
>>
>>69847903
Sub-Rosa has redeeming qualities for Beverly's orgasms, the hilarity of some management alien who liked Scotland so much he recreated it on an M-Class planet, and other spoiler tier shananigans.
>>69847934
Good, only watch the hire rated ones, the acting between the top three billed is excellent but the sets and costumes and effects: all uni-tier.
>>
File: ApolloAdonais.png (2 MB, 1443x1080) Image search: [Google]
ApolloAdonais.png
2 MB, 1443x1080
>>69848402
hire, wow.. um, higher rated:
A Piece of the Action
City on the Edge of Forever
Who Mourns For Adonais?
Amok Time
Tholian Web
All Our Yesterdays
..and a few others.
>>
>All the TOS hate in this thread
Fuck the lot of you. The first two seasons are excellent, it's only the last season that stinks and even it is still comfy.
>>
A moderate amount of honesty in it's dated visual quality isn't hatred, chill out.
>>
>>69848667
>dated
Like anything, you watch it in context. Actually being bothered by something being old-fashioned is pleb-tier.

The stories are fun and the characters are great, that's all that matters. TNG is far more hit-or-miss, especially the early seasons.
>>
No, it's called immersion, anon.
It's much harder because the budget was constrained and the acting hinged upon mostly three men.

Keep doling out insults, the series isn't bad at all but it's harder for repeat viewings because of how overall dated it is and there are plenty of stinkers in all three seasons.
>>
I tend to overlook the silly plots and cheap sets of TOS. It's not about that.

It's about heart. It's about camaraderie. The originals really have soul, it's comfy to watch.
>>
>>69848440
Why was every second episode about a god alien?
>>
>>69848959
>No, it's called immersion, anon.
No, it's called suspension of disbelief, anon.

>Keep doling out insults
Not trying to be insulting, but it does bother me when people use worthless criticisms like "dated." It's a way of saying "I don't like the style" while trying to sound objective. Personally I prefer the TOS aesthetic, it's more colorful and imaginative than the later shows, IMO. If you don't feel that way, fine, but that's not the show's fault.

>there are plenty of stinkers in all three seasons.
There are plenty of stinkers in every single Trek series, no exceptions.
>>
>>69849177
Immersion / suspension of disbelief, all umbrella terms.
In regards to your other two comments, if you love the show, great, I loved it too, at least in incremental amounts.
You are wrong. The style is not what I was saying. I was saying it was dated. As in the sets of that time generally look like sets from that time. Colorful and imaginative are subjective terms.It's also not my fault for having an opinion based upon my person subjectiveness which is at the heart of all these arguments over series' opinions.
And I remind of the bad ones because watching it all the way through when you account for those things can be hard for someone just getting into Trek.
It's best they watch something like TNG first before TOS, especially considering TOS was trying to stay on air at first, not build a universe or add to it.
>>
>>69847903
Is that the one where Crusher dry-humps a chair because of a Scottish space ghost coast to coast?
>>
>>69848561
>All the TOS hate in this thread
It's how you detect tourists.
>>
File: Plebs.jpg (49 KB, 640x401) Image search: [Google]
Plebs.jpg
49 KB, 640x401
>>69848959
>Immersion is only attained with CG explosions
>>
So what do we think of the new trailer for Star Trek Sabotage?
>>
File: nnKU16i.jpg (3 MB, 1080x8800) Image search: [Google]
nnKU16i.jpg
3 MB, 1080x8800
>>69849331
Aye laddie.
>>
No one said they hate TOS, will me saying your series is the best of all make you feel better?
I don't even have a reddit account.
>>69849408
No, immersion is attained through character development, compelling scripts, greater cinematography, and, yes, something that doesn't look like it's on par with colleges in terms of sets and costumes.
>>
>>69849441
This is a thread for television patricians.

Movie plebs need to find their own thread and stick to it.
>>
>>69849486
>>69849408
>>69848824

PLEB! PATRICIAN! PLEB! PATRICIAN!

Goldfish levels of thought.
>>
>>69849329
>As in the sets of that time generally look like sets from that time.
And the sets in TNG, DS9 and VOY look like sets from the 90's. That's kinda how it works. Again, you should always watch something in context instead of judging it by the standards of the present.

Calling something "dated" or saying "it hasn't aged well" is a very lazy criticism, and at its heart, meaningless. I could point at anything even from 10 years ago and call it "dated" for whatever reason.

>It's also not my fault for having an opinion based upon my person subjectiveness which is at the heart of all these arguments over series' opinions.
Fair enough

>And I remind of the bad ones because watching it all the way through when you account for those things can be hard for someone just getting into Trek.
>It's best they watch something like TNG first before TOS, especially considering TOS was trying to stay on air at first, not build a universe or add to it.
This I can agree with. The Next Generation is certainly the best entry-level option
>>
>>69848959
>>69849481
>being this bad at linking to posts
>being this bad at 4chan
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're a longtime 4channer who felt like false-flagging.
>>
>>69849535
Everything's a false-flag in these threads.
Everything's a past meme or something from reddit or a Ezri/Jadzia post war, or stale copypasta.
I'm glad the franchise is almost dead.
What are we going to argue about tonight guys?
>>69849529
Saying something is dated is not meaningless in context. Which is why I told you that the sets and costumes are noticeably dated and even under-budgeted for something similar from that era. This is not a criticism on the scripts or the acting..
You can bottle a fine aged wine in a horrible butterscotch stained bottle (best analogy I can give you).
Also, make your counter point this is more subjective stuff and I won't waste my time on just "well that may be your opinion, but". I was just trying to help this anon who probably was a regular anyway but couldn't think of something better for a Trek thread.
>>
>>69849350
Finally someone compiled those so we don't keep getting retards who say stuff like 'ENT is reddit and if you say it isn't you must be a redditurd!'
>>
>>69849705
>needing manipulable strawpolls to make a decision on which series you like
I ate a steak last night, sure it wasn't your mother?
>>
>>69849524
Goldfish are far more intelligent than they get credit for.

Researchers have found that fish recognize each other and gather information by eavesdropping. They’re capable of remembering past social interactions that they’ve had with other fish, and they show affection by rubbing against each other. Dr. Sylvia Earle—one of the world’s leading marine biologists—said, “I wouldn’t deliberately eat a goldfish any more than I’d eat a cocker spaniel. They’re so good-natured, so curious. You know, fish are sensitive, they have personalities, they hurt when they’re wounded.”

Fish are so smart that the Star Trek crew tried to save one in the fourth movie.
>>
star trek TOS is the best thing ever happen to television
>>
>>69849735
Cows are as diverse as cats, dogs, and people: Some are bright; others are slow learners. Some are bold and adventurous; others are shy and timid. Some are friendly and considerate; others are bossy and devious.

According to research, cows are generally very intelligent animals who can remember things for a long time. Animal behaviorists have found that cows interact in socially complex ways, developing friendships over time and sometimes holding grudges against other cows who treat them badly.

These gentle giants mourn the deaths of and even separation from those they love, even shedding tears over their loss. The mother-calf bond is particularly strong, and there are countless reports of mother cows who continue to frantically call and search for their babies after the calves have been taken away and sold to veal or beef farms.
>>
>>69849788
>Fish are so smart that the Star Trek crew tried to save one in the fourth movie.

mammal?
>>
>>69849693
>You can bottle a fine aged wine in a horrible butterscotch stained bottle (best analogy I can give you).
Films and TV shows are not wine, they are just the same as when they were bottled. When someone calls something "dated" it shows a failure to understand a work of art in the context of the time and place it was made, and while TOS was not a big-budget series, I think you'll find that no series made during that time had much of a budget to speak of.

I shouldn't care so much I suppose, but words like "dated" are a big pet peeve of mine and they trigger my autism. Sorry for the derailing the thread, I realize you were just trying to be helpful.
>>
>>
>>69849705
>Finally someone compiled those so we don't keep getting [r-word]
I don’t think you understand how much you hurt others when you hate. And maybe you don’t realize that you hate. But that’s what it is; your pre-emptive dismissal of people with intellectual disabilities, your dehumanization of them, your mockery of them, it’s nothing but another form of hate. It’s more hateful than racism, more hateful than sexism, more hateful than anything.
>>
>>69849735
Who said anything about deciding to like a series? Did you even read the post you are replying to?
>>
File: orchestra.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
orchestra.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>69849940
Call the maestro, we've got a grand Orchestra on our hands
Gather your friends, you don't want to miss this event! It will affect you in ways you couldn't imagine! It will change you!
>>
File: STC-Group-Shot-B.png (2 MB, 1303x898) Image search: [Google]
STC-Group-Shot-B.png
2 MB, 1303x898
Hey isn't there a new episode of Star Trek Continues that's supposed to drop today?
>>
>>69849788
>>69849819
Yep, good old late night Trek thread.
Just discard what was said about the simplistic nature of your labeling things as pleb or patrician.
Bring up impertinent, long-winded study.
Bump the thread some more.
You will continue this ritual forever, even after your death.
>>69849944
My point still stands. These polls are basically saying "Even if you don't go to Reddit, liking TNG makes you a part of the Reddit community" or any series on the list.
I like all of them, some much better than others.
Voyager is pretty bad though.
>>
>>69850004
dammit it looks like it got pushed back to next Sunday
>>
>>69847758
TOS and TNG are all good. THere are some plots that are predictable of course, but the feeling, the atmosphere, The Picard are great through all episodes so even when there's a weak episode story wise, it's still a great show to watch and relax after a day of work/college or what not.
This and Twin Peaks are one of the few shows I can watch again and again, sometimes I don't even follow what's going on, the picture alone relaxes me, sometimes, when friends come over I put on some music and put an episode muted and we talk while listening to music and just watch the relaxing camera and colors and effects and setting.
>>
>>69849481
>something that doesn't look like it's on par with colleges in terms of sets and costumes

So it's impossible to be immersed in a theatre, millenial perception everyone
>>
>>69847903
>not liking ann rice ghost writing crusher being eaten out by a ghost
>>
>>69850004
I remembered joking that their Sulu was a mythbuster when I first saw that picture... found out yesterday that that genuinely is Grant Imahara
>>
>>69850299
yup, I'l bet he helps them out a lot with prop designs etc from his years working with the Mythbusters
>>
>>69850103
Picard gets on my nerves sometimes with his tendency to wax philosophical instead of simply making the call like Kirk or Sisko would. In some episodes he actually comes off as quite the pussy.

If he wants to be "The Diplomat" than he should be an ambassador instead of a Starfleet Captain. Without plot armor he would've gotten his crew killed a hundred times over with all that hand-wringing and bending over for aliens
>>
Could some anon answer me a question?

I am not really a Star trek fan, but i watched most movies and some episodes of every series.

I really like the Borg. But all this borg stuff is during picards timeline, which means there wont be borgs in any new star trek movies, or am I wrong?
>>
File: LonSuder.jpg (17 KB, 523x530) Image search: [Google]
LonSuder.jpg
17 KB, 523x530
>>69847758
Every single episode of the original series is gold, except for the one where Kirk mindswaps with that woman. Kirk acting like a hysterical broad is genuinely disturbing.

Every episode of the tng is good too except for the clip episode. Also that episode "Wesley smokes peyote on the indian planet" was the worst build up/let down ever. I bet Wil Wheaton was involved in the writing for that episode.

I think voyager had the highest number of unwatchable episodes. Janeway's great grandmother helps build a biodome or Janeway falls in love with a hologram are pure pigshit. Tom Paris gets to run another holodeck simulation 24/7. Great! Why didn't one of the crew bash that hillbillies head in with a hyperspanner for clogging up holodeck with his shitty programs? How can a show have so many bad holodeck episodes but the best character is a hologram?
>>
File: ffa.jpg (191 KB, 1152x620) Image search: [Google]
ffa.jpg
191 KB, 1152x620
What's the best-designed ship? For me, it's a toss-up between this and the Essex.
>>
>>69850408
There are new Star Trek movies?
>>
>>69850466
>>
File: Concerning_Flight.png (927 KB, 1251x1063) Image search: [Google]
Concerning_Flight.png
927 KB, 1251x1063
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>69850408
The Borg logically shouldn't and haven't been in any of the reboot movies. That said, they weren't supposed to be at First Contact either but time travel shenanigans put a whole Borg plotline there
>>
>>69850514
Oh fuck off. If you are going to meme, post a cap of that ENT episode titled 'Fortunate Son' and write
>watching Enterprise
>it ain't me starts playing
>>
>>69850529
thought so
thanks
>>
>>69847567
Watch The dominion episodes of deep space nine. Theres a list.
>>
>>69850557
you seem concerned
>>
>>69850514
the resident troll casts his line
>>
>>69850466
I'm not particularly a fan of Enterprise the show but damn I loved the design of the NX class starships.
>>
>>69850466
>>69850627
oops forgot the picture
>>
>>69850655
and then there was the refit that was supposed to happen but never did because the show got canned before there was a chance to introduce it
>>
>>69850721
>we could have had a TOS-like ship, however weird looking on the outside
>we could have had Shran on the main cast
>we could have had the rise of Empress Hoshi
If ENT had gotten one more season I bet the opinions on it today would be much higher
>>
>>69850721
The most disgusting design that has ever been posted in a /trek/ thread.
>>
>TFW they no longer have any Star Trek episodes on Netflix Canada anymore
>>
File: KG_DD_SM_NX-01_REFIT-001.jpg (829 KB, 1280x906) Image search: [Google]
KG_DD_SM_NX-01_REFIT-001.jpg
829 KB, 1280x906
>>69850859
really? I think it looks fucking great
>>
>>69850871
Use Hulu. That's how I watched all of it.
No movies though, unfortunately
>>
>>69850956
>two deflector dishes
Wew, into the waste reclamation subsystem.
>>
File: 1463905949059.jpg (173 KB, 1536x912) Image search: [Google]
1463905949059.jpg
173 KB, 1536x912
>>69850859
>>69850956
The only thing that makes it look weird or different whatsoever from the classic Trek ship style is the connector prongs. If they were thinner and less intrusive I think it would be perfect in bridging the gap between the ship generations. Something like this shitty quick shop
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (12 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
12 KB, 320x240
>>69851079
>>69850956
>>69850721
>S.S
>>
>>69850469
Unfortunately son, no. Galaxy Quest II was canceled.
>>
File: KG_DREX_NX-01_REFIT_002.jpg (2 MB, 2085x1561) Image search: [Google]
KG_DREX_NX-01_REFIT_002.jpg
2 MB, 2085x1561
>>69850993
perhaps the original deflector dish in the saucer section was repurposed as an improved sensor array.

>>69851124
The U for "United Federation of Planets" wouldn't be there because it didn't exist yet.
>>
File: nx01.jpg (52 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
nx01.jpg
52 KB, 700x525
>>69851231
>S.S.
>>
>>69851284
another shot, just in case you missed it
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 528x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 528x544
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
>>69851284
>>69851317
I don't really see your point. The name is evolving, just like the ship. First it's 'Enterprise', then 'SS Enterprise', and finally 'USS Enterprise'
>>
>>69851284
it stands for "Star Ship" NX-01 is its serial number, just as you'll see in the included picture NCC-1701-D was the serial number for this iteration of the U.S.S. Enterprise
>>
>>69851361
/ss/ enterprise
>>
File: boobytrap068.jpg (75 KB, 694x530) Image search: [Google]
boobytrap068.jpg
75 KB, 694x530
>>
File: 1454045543719.jpg (79 KB, 650x637) Image search: [Google]
1454045543719.jpg
79 KB, 650x637
Since this thread seems relatively calm, I'll ask a genuine, not-trying-to-bait question:
What happened to Trek threads in the last month?
I know you always see rhetoric about how this or that board 'used to be good' and everything is always 'going to shit', but if you go back as little as 2 months, Trek threads had a noticeably better attitude by a large order.
It doesn't seem like it's some particular demographic - the same shows get the same amount of discussion, waifuworship is the same deal, the levels of /pol/ and tumblr are the same - it just seems like everyone has gotten ten times more aggressive with fighting and trolling. Go back and you see a lot more light-hearted posts like >>69851559

Weirdly, it actually appears that the old VOY versus TNG versus DS9 fights are less common. It's like people channeled the aggression from that brand of argument into every other aspect of the threads.
>>
File: Martok.jpg (225 KB, 565x433) Image search: [Google]
Martok.jpg
225 KB, 565x433
>>69847567
>You will never drink bloodwine with Martok after a glorious victory
>Life is pain /tv/
>>
>>69851848
Also just finished DS9
Thought it was pretty good, S4-5 were great, 7 was a bit of a let down.

The last episode felt rushed, yet somehow had 5 minutes of Rick Fontaine crooning ffs.
>>
>>69851753
ive actually noticed this and been wondering too. the threads also seem less constant/everpresent and much more erratic, in content as well
>>
>>69850993
>>two deflector dishes
>Wew, into the waste reclamation subsystem.
That's a point, how does the saucer section of the D work when separated without a deflector?
>>
>>69854486
The saucer cannot into warp.

>>69851753
It's only going to get worse as we approach the release date for Beyond.
>>
>>69851753
A lot of the recent Star Trek threads have been 'omg jj trek trailer released' which attracts a lot of people that don't like the show
>>
>>69854567
>The saucer cannot into warp.
Okay that makes sense, though in the pilot they separated while at maximum warp which would have been insane without deflectors
>>
File: It was a good ship..jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
It was a good ship..jpg
12 KB, 480x360
What is the armament of the lollipop?
>>
>>69855120
Memes need to be retired when they've outlived their usefulness.
>>
How big of a fan do you have to be to be called a Trekkie?
What is the defenition of a trekkie?
>>
>>69854666
what are the odds that they'd hit any debris in deep space before it slowed to impulse?
>>
>>69855353
Trek Fan: Someone who watches Star Trek
Trekkie: Someone who shares dank memes with other Trekkies
>>
>>69851753
some retard tried to make it a general instead of a comfortable thread about a random issue with the series.

used to just be "Harry kim is a clone" and "O'brien had a hard life"
>>
Just watch DS9 it's the best of the series with the most coherent story. Also Miles O'Brian and Julian Bashir's bromance
>>
>>69855676
cool

got a Mega link or a stream site for it?

im more of a jew than Ira Behr
>>
>>69855590
Pretty good I'd say, the saucer is nearly 500 meters wide and it can coast and light speeds for a few minutes, lets say it lasted 30 seconds though, at warp 9.5 it travelled 17,041,852,171 kilometers before stopping (http://www.st-minutiae.com/resources/warp/). The chances of there being nothing in that amount of space has got to be so low as to be ridiculous
>>
>>69855635
It happens to non-general Trek threads too though
I guess you could argue that a couple weeks ago people were forcing the 'permanent general' really hard and that gave an extended blow to the quality of subsequent threads of any type
>>
File: 1463653458550.jpg (22 KB, 607x515) Image search: [Google]
1463653458550.jpg
22 KB, 607x515
Why did you leave the door open, Carmella?
>>
File: Captain_Ezri_Dax_2383.jpg (867 KB, 2465x3538) Image search: [Google]
Captain_Ezri_Dax_2383.jpg
867 KB, 2465x3538
>>69855676
>not Bashir and Garaks romance
>>
So how ridiculously powerful are ST weapons?

Apparently a photon torpedo has a yield equivalent to 690,000 megatons of TNT but what really bothers me are the phasers; assuming that phasers are only one third as powerful that still means that in a one second burst they still discharge 966 petawatts of directed energy - or roughly five and a half times the amount of solar energy that strikes the earth over one minute.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.