[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
‘Unforgivably Dreadful:’ Critics Annihilate Sean Penn’s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12
File: mystic-river-5[1].jpg (882 KB, 1400x926) Image search: [Google]
mystic-river-5[1].jpg
882 KB, 1400x926
>It’s a “transcendently bad movie about aid workers and African suffering,” tweeted Buzzfeed’s Alison Willmore. “But to its credit, the romance is actually worse.”
>Indiewire film critic Eric Kohn called it Penn’s “worst movie,” adding that it’s “saddled with the worst of the godawful dialogue.”
>“Unforgivably dreadful. Well-intended refugee drama let down in every area. Staggeringly bad,” The Irish Times’ Donald Clarke tweeted.
>“The Last Face is Sean Penn’s version of an Angelina Jolie movie,” wrote Variety’s Owen Glieberman. “It keeps advertising its compassion, yet it’s really a drama about two beautiful movie stars trying to save the world. Who, after all, can’t identify with that?”
>“[The Last Face is] an extended Band Aid video, shoddily assembled to be screened at galas filled with the guilty elite sipping champagne while frowning at close-ups of tearful orphans,” wrote The Guardian’s Benjamin Lee.

Jesus Christ, has he killed himself yet?
>>
Good. Fuck Sean Penn
>>
>>69834662
No sympathy. Guys is a complete piece of shit.
>>
>>69836325

This.

And we're keeping the Falklands, you cunt.
>>
>“The Last Face,” like many of Penn’s works, was made outside the studio system. It is at Cannes looking for distribution. At the press conference, Penn implied that he felt out of step with modern Hollywood, although he stressed that he has no problem with the idea of entertainment.

>“It’s important to entertain if entertainment is not synonymous with Donald Trump’s behavior,” he said. “Too much of film is today.”

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>69834662

>to be screened at galas filled with the guilty elite sipping champagne while frowning at close-ups of tearful orphans

Ouch. Great line, that.
>>
File: 2016-05-22_01-41-00.jpg (143 KB, 664x708) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-22_01-41-00.jpg
143 KB, 664x708
>>69836671

Yeah, safe to say he didn't like it.
>>
>>69834662

>Jesus Christ, has he killed himself yet?

No but the cartels will soon enough
>>
>>69834662

Sean Penn is a mediocre actor and a grade A cunt. I'm pretty fucking shocked that he managed to fuck more Hollywood starlets than Leo
>>
>>69836908

That's because Leo is gay
>>
>>69834662

for some reason I thought the OP pic was a live screenshot of his reaction at the negative feedback, I was chortling like an idiot
>>
File: 08LAZER-slide-JOQ8-superJumbo.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
08LAZER-slide-JOQ8-superJumbo.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>didn't write or direct it
>'''''Sean Penn's''''' film
>>
The film is prob not good, but I have the feeling some critics jump on a bandwagon here.
>>
>>69837025

At least the cunt gets all the flak for it
>>
>>69834662
>>
>>69836815
>>69836671
>The Last Face stars Charlize Theron (his then-girlfriend who surely broke things off after she watched a rough cut)
>The warning signs arrive from the very first frame that we’re in for a rough ride, with text on-screen likening the “impossible brutality” of the conflict in Africa to that of the love between a man and a woman. The audience here at Cannes guffawed
>Even in her worst films, Theron’s skill as an actor ensures she rises above. But there’s something smug and stultifying going on here, with the majority of her performance dedicated to wistful looks, crying at dead black people and delivering lines such as “saving lives is a serious mission” without laughing
>Her romance with Bardem is entirely unconvincing, as if written by a robot unaware of what a real human interaction is (“Being inside me is not knowing me!”) and acted by two people who seem to be digitally brought together while filming in different locations
>Another fascinatingly misjudged scene has a white character revealing she’s also slept with Bardem and is, shock, HIV positive. The ongoing issue of HIV in Africa is only raised to create romantic tension between the two white leads (we get to see them test each other and nervously wait for the results!) and it’s one of the film’s most heinous mis-steps
>Coupled with an execrable script by Erin Dignam that exchanges subtlety for cheap shock value (white helicopter pilot: “You know that girl I was dancing with? She watched her sister get raped to death and she was raped as well”)

Sounds great.
>>
>>69837153

Sounds like this generation's The Room
>>
File: 1414031052957.jpg (146 KB, 1299x1322) Image search: [Google]
1414031052957.jpg
146 KB, 1299x1322
>>69837153

>“You know that girl I was dancing with? She watched her sister get raped to death and she was raped as well”

Can't wait to watch this
>>
>>69837329

I DID NAAHT RAPE HER TO DEATH! I DID NAHHHHT!!!
>>
>>69837153
>Being inside me is not knowing me
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>69837431

Oh hai Kwame!
>>
>>69834662
why would he? filmmakers make films for audiences, not reviewers with agendas. plenty of amazing movies have received negative reviews only to become heralded as classics. David Lynch has gotten nothing but negative reviews his entire career until Mulholland Drive and Straight Story. same with Kubrick's final three films. not saying this movie will be any good, but quit posting bullshit posts, mate.
>>
>>69836908
grade A cunt, yes. mediocre actor? nay. he has given amazing performances throughout his career and has been lauded for decades for being one of his generation's top actors. his performances in Milk, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mystic River, Dead Man Walking, I Am Sam, Sweet and Lowdown, and Casualties of War are all award-winning fare. don't let your obvious bias toward him keep you from watching his movies, mate. he's a damn good actor.
>>
>>69837621
They had mixed reviews not universally panned reviews
>>
>>69837782
indeed, that's true. i was just overstating my point for effect. my bad.
>>
>>69836600
>What did he mean by this?
He's the grade-A, prototypical mold of the Limousine Leftist, from which all others are forged. If he speaks more than ten sentences without taking a shot at whoever he deems to be on the American political "right," his contract with Satan is called in and he gets dragged, living, into the bowels of New Jersey. However, it doesn't matter how sensible or logical the shots actually are, he just has to make them. So even though the Orange Messiah is not actually on the American political right (he's a middle-of-the-road authoritarian), for Penn's purposes he had fulfilled his responsibility.
>>
>>69834662
I AM SAM
I AM SAM
I AM SAM
I AM SAM
I AM SAM
>>
>>69837774

>nay

3/10
>>
File: This shit again....jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
This shit again....jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>it's another noble white people sacrifice themselves to save ignorant brown people episode
>>
>>69837910
hehe. dislike him all you want, the guy can act. he's also directed two good films. seems the latest is a misfire, though, but he's still damn good at what he does.
>>
>You know that girl I was dancing with? She watched her sister get raped to death and she was raped as well
>>
>>69838025

Fuck off, Spicoli
>>
>>69838029

Nobody necklaces baby in the corner
>>
>pretends it's a super srs movie about African struggles
>apparently not a single significant black character
How do you screw up this bad just from the premise?
>>
He's a kinda baiting actor
>>
>>69838151
you probably took a slice of my pizza, didn't you? dick.
>>
>>69837774

Oh yeah, he was top-tier in Mystic River

>IS DAT MUH DAUGHTER IN DURR???
>>
>>69838351
top-tier? he was GOD-tier in Mystic River. i can't even count the awards he received for that performance. pleb confirmed for disliking Mystic River. sorry, not drinking the kool-aid you guys are shilling that Penn's a bad actor. he's not. he's quite the cunt, but i can differentiate between an asshole and a great performer. seems some imbeciles here are sheep who can't.
>>
>>69836815
Niggers be mad because there was cucking
>>
>>69839362
There was no cucking*

lel
>>
>>69837933
>nonwhites just call it a white saviour trope
Why even bother?
>>
>Actor and director Sean Penn has faced major embarrassment after his film, The Last Face, was booed by the audience at the Cannes Film Festival.

What the fuck it was actually booed at Cannes like it was a sports team or something
>>
File: problematic2.jpg (20 KB, 186x306) Image search: [Google]
problematic2.jpg
20 KB, 186x306
>>69839521

That happens a lot though. Makes a change from clapping, I suppose.

>mfw Ameriboos boo at a movie
>>
>>69837025
... he did direct it
>>
Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...
>>
>>69834662
>buzzfeed's
>indiewire film critic
>Variety's
>The Guardian's
I too hate Sean Penn, but not enough to listen to these excrements.
>>
>>69836908
Leo is too busy fucking model nobodies to go after relevant stars.
>>
>>69834662
When will this fuck head just die?
>>
>>69837774
>I Am Sam
That's because he played himself.
>>
At this El Chapo would be doing everyone a favor.
>>
I think we should stop basing any argument on the basis of these stupid fucking critics.

Their opinion is fucking garbage. Name one time where it's agreeable and you get a fuckin' lollipop. Form your own opinion and think for yourself like a fucking adult.
>>
>>69837120

Is Charlize accepting husbando applications?
>>
>>69842015

Well, Gwen Stephani or whatever the fuck her name is is pregnant at 57 so I guess any damn thing is possible. That hell produced spawn freaks me the fuck out.
>>
>>69842077

Vampires can get pregnant?
>>
>Look up age. She's 46.

WAKE ME UP INSIDE!!!!
>>
>>69837120
kek
>>
>>69842077

I would babysit the kid and I want her to get my scripts looked at.
>>
>>69834662
Sounds like misandry to me. These critics hate men and that's why they gave bad reviews.
>>
>>69837120
Kid's tired of wearing dresses.
>>
>>69837120
is he black
>>
>>69839839

I'm amazed that in this era of shit kino there's this gem of a line "never go full retard" that sounds like it was dug up as an unquestionable truth from some ancient bronze age tablet.
>>
>movie about Africa
>it's about white people doing something

Just stop, make good movies about Africa now. There are lots of nice, developed places on the African continent much to the chagrin of /pol/. If you have to have white characters make them side characters at most

Or do historical pieces lik abouy African tribes or African kings like Mansa Musa. /tv/ gets pissed about minor characters getting changed to black people but imagine being black and dealing with this cringey pretentious garbage: white liberal melodrama that uses your culture as a means for the actors to chew the scenery.

Imagine a black Apocolypto or Gladiator type movie
>>
>>69842386

Your scripts are probably garbage and the kid will try and eat you. She's getting pumped full of so many hormones to avoid menopause that she's probably going to pump out a monster from hell. Unless she's consulting that German doctor that somehow makes people into superhumans.
>>
File: triggered.gif (1 MB, 371x209) Image search: [Google]
triggered.gif
1 MB, 371x209
>>69842474
>imagine being black
>>
>>69842474

Dude I despise race or sex washing. It's not good and it's annoying as fuck. We shouldn't have a white Motoko and we shouldn't have an all female Oceans 11. It's just pure shit and nobody wants that shit. We have good Asian actresses and nobody wants to see another Oceans 11. Fuck.
>>
>>69842519
This one?
>>
Why wont Javier Bardem do capeshit already

Stop this meme shit!

Pirates of the carribean really!?

Charlize can come to! DC needs you!!
>>
>>69837861
>authoritarian

pls
>>
>>69842474
>wahh white people wont make movies for black people!! what an injustice

NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT NIGGERS
>>
>>69842797

Dude I'm not black but I'm Jewish (stay mad you fucking skinhead). Nobody wants to watch the new Ghostbusters because we know it's going to suck. Nobody wants any of this feminist shit because it's totally lacking in humor and culture and it's just garbage. There's no way to know what it will take to make dumb women shut the fuck up.

I don't want them back in the kitchen. I just want them to stop thinking that they're not totally above equal and being incredibly annoying.
>>
>>69841935
The girl who played his daughter asked if he really was acting.
>>
>>69842957
>but I'm jewish

please go.
>>
>>69837153

>Another fascinatingly misjudged scene has a white character revealing she’s also slept with Bardem and is, shock, HIV positive. The ongoing issue of HIV in Africa is only raised to create romantic tension between the two white leads (we get to see them test each other and nervously wait for the results!) and it’s one of the film’s most heinous mis-steps

why is that a misstep other than the author being an extremely rare offended SJW who can't tolerate negative things?
>>
Both Penn and the people crying about muh refugees can all fuck off to the middle east and africa to save the world, rather than fucking up the countries the rest of us poor cunts live in.
>>
>>69836815
>Javier Bardem
>white
>>
>>69842957
>I'm Jewish
it shows...
is /pol/ ever wrong?
>>
>>69842449
Yes, he is.
>>
>>69843826

/pol/ is wrong all the goddamn time and positive proof is not based upon your opinion.

I'm a really nice person and strive to be so. Meanwhile, what are you doing?
>>
>>69843743

He's Spanish, so yes.

You're a fucking American aren't you?
>>
>>69844003
Go away merchant.

>>69844111
>spain
>White
Lmao, it never gets old
>>
>>69844003
>Jew
>person

Your purpose is to provide light from my bedside table, and nothing more.
>>
>>69844003
is it even possible for /pol/ to be wrong?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.