[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen Birth of a Nation, just finished Nosfratu and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: 41BT4VHKEYL.jpg (29 KB, 345x475) Image search: [Google]
41BT4VHKEYL.jpg
29 KB, 345x475
I've seen Birth of a Nation, just finished Nosfratu and am about to watch Metropolis.

What are some other silent films worth watching after that?
>>
Well, after the whole of 3, you'll be missing, I don't know, some hundreds? No, no, actually, a good couple thousands considering short films.
>>
Entry-level:

The General

Intermediate:

Intolerance

Advanced:

Tabu
>>
>>69834732

Yeah, great. You didn't name any of them..
>>
Other rec's:

The Parson's Widow (Carl Th. Dreyer's funniest film)
Four Sons (John Ford copying his idol, Murnau)
Sunrise (advanced the art of film by decades)
Battleship Potemkin (revolutionary editing)
>>
>>69834922
Nor it would be a necessary act. Someone serious wouldn't come to fucking /tv/ after watching the immensity of three films. On them alone btw, you'd have some dozens direct recommendations.
>>
The Man Who Laughs
Wings
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
>>
I was Born But...
>>
>>69835139

You've just needlessly taken an opportunity to act like an elitist faggot. I know NOTHING about silent films and as you so brilliantly pointed out there are fucking tons of them. I don't even know why you bothered to speak other than to sound like a cunt.

Kill yourself.
>>
File: linferno.jpg (135 KB, 644x514) Image search: [Google]
linferno.jpg
135 KB, 644x514
Battleship Potemkim
L'Inferno
The Passion of Joan of Arc
>>
>>69835274
It's very important to act like a cunt for your kind. AA behavior to be incentivated, more elitism the better, even though it's quite late.
The little shits tourists types like you are the ones invading this board and making it worse by the day. You're just a lazy shit attention whore who could have done an obvious work by yourself.
>>
File: 1311763499070.jpg (16 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
1311763499070.jpg
16 KB, 300x354
>>69835566

lol dude I can't take it
>>
>>69834598
Buster Keaton stuff
>>
>>69834865
>>69835093
>>69835224
>>69835252
>>69835464

Appreciated.
>>
since no one else has mentioned it yet, City Girl is an excellent film and a bit of a spiritual predecessor to Malick's Days of Heaven
>>
>>69834598
The original mummy movie was based and imhotep was a sith lord.
>>
You should watch the rest of Murnau. Nosferatu is overrated imo. Sunrise, The Last Laugh, Faust, City Girl, and Tabu are all better. Also check out:

Man With a Movie Camera - sort of an antithesis to other Russian silent films of the time.
The Phantom Carriage - Directed by the great Swede Victor Sjostrom, who pioneered directing/acting in his country. Great effects and story.
Zvenigora - Russian folk-lore, great poetic harmony. One of Tarkovsky's favorite directors.
Earth - Same person that directed Zvenigora, same idea.
Napoleon - An epic that's over five hours long. I should really say THE epic. Great battle sequences, cool symbolism, nationalistic.

As for Murnau, not enough can be said. John Ford went to Germany to study his set design. He's the greatest filmmaker in my mind. He's poetic, he uses visuals to the highest degree, and his films aren't clunky like a lot of silent films.
>>
>>69835901
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dwi7XXdEiFZk&start1=&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DF56so48ChtM&start2=40&authorName=Ayarkhaan+Enemy

Mute left video
>>
>>69836308
Do to other anons I have them all in my playlist. Not those other ones though.
>>
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
>>
>>69834865
Tabu is hardly advanced
Source: i don't know shit about silent cinema but i've already seen it
>>
Sunrise is the most beautiful film ever
>>
Modern Times is pretty essential Charlie Chaplin stuff. Watch that.
>>
Lot in Sodom
Hands of Orlac
Brand Upon the Brain!
Ben Hur with Novarro
>>
File: kriemhild is best waifu.jpg (50 KB, 560x432) Image search: [Google]
kriemhild is best waifu.jpg
50 KB, 560x432
>>69834598

I really like Fritz Lang's Nibelungen movies.

A Woman of Paris is an underrated Chaplin movie, it's a romance story that doesn't feature his tramp character but is still pretty good.

The Adventures of Prince Achmed uses silhouette animation and Lotte Reiniger is the only animator I've seen use this technique.

A Trip to the Moon is ten minutes long and about wizards going to the moon, what's not to like?
>>
>>69834598
isn't really helping OP but I just wanted to add the best movie experience I ever had was years ago the Fargo Theater showed Nosferatu with an actual organ player doing the music then followed it up with Shadow of the Vampire. Was a really cool experience.
>>
>>69838441
Sounds pretty cool.
>>
everything mentioned so far is good.

make sure you watch Dr. Caligari. Very important and incredible film. Same with Man With A Movie Camera.

I would recommend
Berlin: Symphony of a Great City by Walter Ruttmann

Un Chien Andalou by Luis Bunuel,
>>
Rooster Cogburn is pretty good imo
>>
Joan of Arc
Sherlock Jr
>>
>>69836633
What are some other silent movies with twist endings
>>
>>69840878
Two mules for sister Sarah
>>
>>69834598
>silent films
kys hipster faggot
>>
the General
The phantom Carriage
man with a movie camera
>>
just adding to what's already here: Pandora's Box, for sure; Safety Last! too; and The Gold Rush.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.