[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this for the first time, but after some searching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Alien_movie_poster.jpg (13 KB, 283x397) Image search: [Google]
Alien_movie_poster.jpg
13 KB, 283x397
Just watched this for the first time, but after some searching it seems that I watched the inferior version. I watched the directors cut.

I am about to watch the sequel, should I get the TC or the DC?

Also, what did I miss out on that makes the TC so much better?
>>
For Aliens you want the director's cut. It's the one Cameron prefers.

You didn't miss out on anything. It's just this thing where they wanted a director's cut for release but Scott didn't want to make it. I think it's just extended a little bit.
>>
>>69819896

the directors cut is shorter by 5 minutes , Ridley Scott cut out scenes of the Alien where its obviously a guy in a suit.
>>
>>69819939
The theatrical cut of Alien is better, you pleb.
>>
>>69820244
Not him, but what makes it better?
>>
>>69819896

Here are the versions to watch, OP.

Alien: Original Theatrical Version (117 min, in terms of time, it's about a wash with the director's cut)
Aliens: Director's Cut (often referred to as the "Special Edition" as well. This version is significantly longer, and runs about 2.5 hours)

I would advise you to stop at this point, but if you absolutely must continue, then watch

Alien^3: Assembly Cut (This is also on the order of 2.5 hours, and is more cohesive. The theatrical is a mess, especially in terms of pacing.)

Then you REALLY need to stop at this point. Quit watching Alien movies altogether after this.

That said, there is mutually exclusive material in both cuts of Alien, that I know about, and very few others actually do. If you like, I can rattle them off. Now that you've watched either cut, there's no big spoilers for you.
>>
>>69820844
Do this, op. I prefer the directors cut of Alien, but you can't go wrong.

Aliens= directors cut

Alien3= assembly cut

Alien: Resurrection= pls no

AVP= no

AVPR= no

Prometheus= it's... Alright. Still crap.
>>
>>69820773

The theatrical cut of Alien is what Ridley came up with as production wrapped in 1978-1979. He was perfectly happy with his final product, and the experience of making the movie had overall been a very positive one for all involved, although there were stressful times too (happens when you make any great art).

It was about 24 years later, in 2002-2003, when Fox already had alternate cuts of the other movies, that they wanted to "have alternate cuts of everything". So they approached Ridley to cut together a so-called "director's cut", The one substantive plot difference of which is that Brett and Dallas are turned into eggs themselves. Ridley was happy to play ball, but he didn't really "do something he'd always wanted to do after all these years", his original vision had not been stifled the way Cameron and Finchers' had. Ridley was perfectly happy with what he'd done back then, but he was happy to toss off another cut too. Just cashing checks by this point.

In this sense, the original theatrical cut of Alien is, confusingly, the /real/ "director's cut. That is, it most perfectly expresses what the director had wished to convey in the project.
>>
>>69820844
good advice
>>
>>69821004
Oh, thanks a lot for explaining all of that. I'll be sure to watch the original theatrical cut some time.
>>
File: tumblr_l6dwxjm8cC1qa1o5zo1_400.jpg (69 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l6dwxjm8cC1qa1o5zo1_400.jpg
69 KB, 400x400
Well now this thread has me going again.

Recently, I did a close review of the original 1979 theatrical release of ALIEN, versus the 2003 so-called "director's cut." of ALIEN, which from now on I will simply call the DC.

Many anons are aware that the DC contains extra footage.

However, what many anons do NOT realize is that both the TR and the DC EACH has MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE, not present in the other. In other words, the DC not only ADDS material, it also SUBTRACTS some material from the TR.

Below, I will detail the differences from memory as best I can (there's about 7 per cut). I made a big graphic of this like a few months ago but I've thrown it out.

The following material is exclusive to the DC ONLY:

-Lambert actually plays the mysterious alien message for the senior staff to listen to, early.
-When the away team gets back, Ripley and Lambert have a bitchslap catfight which is quickly broken up. I never liked this add-on, although it makes sense I guess.
-Brett's kill sequence is cut very differently. We get long overhead shots of Brett, and also we see the Adult, hanging for a split second, for the first time. I like the latter cut.
-Moreover, Ripley and Parker chase after the captured Brett, only to see a trail of blood.
-This is the one change that substantitally alters the plot of the film, as I said. While escaping the ship, Ripley finds Dallas and Brett themselves being transformed into eggs, which she then burns. This establishes the "kill me" trope, and it also suggests a variant life cycle from what Cameron later developed. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but they certainly do clash. It's a nice sinister variant on the life cycle, but for a more cohesive franchise, this belongs back on the cutting room floor.
-The Alien briefly regards Jones locked in his pet-box, and violently SWATS the box aside.

NOW, the stuff people don' know about. the TR-ONLY stuff. cont.
>>
HERE IS THE FOOTAGE WHICH IS EXCLUSIVE TO THE SUPERIOR 1979 THEATRICAL RELEASE OF ALIEN, REMOVED FOR THE 2003 DIRECTOR'S CUT:

-As the away team leaves, Ripley radios over to Ash and asks whether he's worked on translating the message "through E.C.I.U." Ash of course has not, but it's early, so Ripley announces her intention to check the message (which she partially completes in a LATER, DIFFERENT scene which is in both cuts). This little establishing beat gives us the first hint of the antagonism between Ash and Ripley, which starts to come out later.

-As contact is lost with the away team, Ash manages one more feeble "Dallas..?"

-A very good extra beat between Dallas and Ripley was cut for the DC. In this bit, Ripley interrogates Dallas about Ash specifically, and Dallas clarifies that Ash was mysteriously subbed into the team at the last minute. This is a great setup for what's coming, but anyone watching the DC was liable to already know the plot, so it was wrongly taken out in that cut, for whatever reason. This cut is also the first place where "Thedus" is mentioned, another world in distant Alien lore which seems to be under human control.

-The Brett kill is all different. We don't have the nice establishing shot of the alien (and no blood), but what we do have instead is a BIG UNBROKEN 40-SECOND CLOSE-UP of Harry Dean Stanton just wetting his face, tired, acting for the camera one last time, right. I'm not sure, but outside the credits, I think this is the longest continuous shot of anything in the whole film (either cut). HDS naturally LOVED getting this long close-up and was very appreciative to Ridley for including it.

-Before Dallas goes in the vent, he sits at Mother one last time. This is also a good rhythmic cut because it's a 'second-time' in mother, setting up the PUNCHLINE of the third time, when things are really going to hell. It also establishes that mother is being unhelpful.

1 or 2 other tiny things. I covered all the main stuff.
>>
The little TR-only bits I couldn't fit in above are an extra, clumsy beat where Ash leaves the infirmary after being interrogated by Ripley. I can see why this was cut.

Also, in the immediate aftermath of the chestburst, things are cut slightly differently. There is a quiet shot of the team looking for the thing, you can't really see (and barely hear) anyone. The real point of this sequence is to allow the audience a few seconds to cool-down after the scare, without missing anything important. It also cuts to the Kane Funeral somewhat differently (and if you look very carefully on one of the cuts, you can see part of a piece of equipment - a boom, a camera, something).

Finally, in the DC now, there's like an extra beat on Veronica Cartwright's ugly face, when she's looking her worst. I can't imagine she was thrilled about that.
>>
>>69821444
>>69822000
>>69822103

tl;dr if im being honest with you
>>
>>69821444
>>69822000
>>69822103
I read it and enjoyed it. /tv/ could use more people like you.
>>
>>69822546

thanks but i didnt ask for feedback
>>
>>69822615
false flag or asshole?
>>
>>69822664

Just busy.
>>
>>69822743
shut up nigger
>>
>>69821444
>>69822000
>>69822103
Thanks for this, really informational. Glad you took the time to type it up.
>>
>>69822781

This is why i dont want feedback from most of /tv/. You all use racial slurs and get angry far too quickly - i just give my well researched, objective opinion and leave.
>>
>>69822888
(You)
>>
>>69822888
You're still here harvesting you's fagotron
>>
>>69819896
Just watched it for the first time after seeing your post.

Can someone explain the Bonus Situation they were going on about?
>>
>>69822615
well you are quite the cunt
>>
>>69821444
>>69822000
>>69822888

>>69820244
>>69820844
>>69821033

Lottery-winning thread.
>>
>>69819896

Alien is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

Great set design and practical effects, but as far as a movie I think it's just retarded horror shit with a coat of science fiction. Science fiction usually has something to say but this movie has nothing to say at all.
>>
>>69820844
Honestly to really preserve the experience of Alien don't watch Aliens, I wish I had never seen it, while it's a good action movie I didn't like what it did to the universe
>>
File: Aliums.png (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Aliums.png
2 MB, 2560x1600
Started working on this, should I continue
>>
>>69825020
Delete everything except Alien
Make Isolation optional
>>
>>69822743
>>69822888

For the record, I wrote the long posts above, and this nigger is not me. >>69822664 This guy is right.

Making matters worse is that I got a bunch of trips, and this separate other cunt got some dank 8's. 8th passenger cunt.
>>
>>69825020
>Recommends abysmal AvP2010 over vastly superior AvP1999
>Doesn't know that there are two planned Prometheus sequels after Covenant
>>
>>69825395
>>Recommends abysmal AvP2010 over vastly superior AvP1999
Both were decent. don't know why I forgot AvP 1999

>>Doesn't know that there are two planned Prometheus sequels after Covenant
source? I was unaware.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.