[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never known anyone who hated this movie and wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: movieposter.jpg (20 KB, 279x402) Image search: [Google]
movieposter.jpg
20 KB, 279x402
I've never known anyone who hated this movie and wasn't a massive fucking pleb.
>>
File: wdytwa.png (651 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
wdytwa.png
651 KB, 1067x800
>making this thread on /tv/
>>
I love the way this movie was filmed. But the story and acting were totally forgettable (I literally can't remember any past of the story, and I've seen it at least twice, but I can remember how it 'looked' really clearly)
>>
It was alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtfkymtavUE

>We will never get part 2

Possibly because of Jamie Foxx being a prick
>>
>>69814112
That nigger ruined the ending Mann originally wanted.
>>
>>69813993
True. You can tell if someone gets what Mann is all about based on what they think of this film.
>>
can americans finally take a qt chinese chick from miami to cuba on a go fast boat for mojitos and dancing for real now?
>>
go to sleep saetre
>>
>>69814078
This is valid criticism, clearly the film has weaknesses mainly casting and underdeveloped villains.
>>
Same with Blackhat
>>
Movie was shit, series were 10/10
>>
>>69814997
plen
>>
>>69814558
what do you mean buddy
>>
>>69815576
They were shooting in south America in some shady, dangerous neighborhoods. Apparently police refused to protect them or even enter those areas, so they had to hire legit gang members as their security while filming there.

One day there was a shooting near the set, after that Foxx refused to shoot outside the US again so Mann had to rewrite a lot of the 3rd act.
>>
>>69815635
I remember that shit after reading your post, his ego was off the charts in the mid-00's after the Oscar for Ray

Imagine being Mann and having to deal with that shit. Real shame because the movie had potential, it could've been GOAT
>>
Absolutely no substance.

Mann peaked with Heat. You just can't top that.
>>
>>69815635
anything that says what mann had originally planned? i find the third act perfect as it is
>>
>>69815757
I think it's just the same things happening in a different place.
>>
As bad as JJ's trek. A gritty reboot of an iconic series that nobody asked for. Manns talents were wasted.
>>
>>69813993

Loved the theatrical cut. Directors. It had small changes that ruined the film for me.
>>
>>69816096
the theatrical is missing in the air tonight and therefore automatically inferior
>>
File: 05-tim-heidecker.w245.h368.2x.png (224 KB, 490x736) Image search: [Google]
05-tim-heidecker.w245.h368.2x.png
224 KB, 490x736
This all makes sense because the movie seems like 60% of the main conflict was edited right out.

Also, I always get memories of the Mission Impossible movie that was out at the same time mixed in with this one. Like Ethan Hunt shows up around the corner and pulls his mask off. Anyone else?
>>
That last shootout was so generic and boring, a bunch of people just shooting around randomly and some viode game tier shit with invincible main characters, almost shocking how the same man could have made Heat.
>>
>>69816120

It played during the credits, though
>>
>>69816180
not where it should be
>>
>>69816168
>That last shootout was so generic and boring
lmao if you honestly believe this

this is the kind of idiot that dislikes mv
>>
>>69814760
miami cuban bro in the house. you can't legally yet unless you go through the proper channels, but you can take your chinese qt via a slow cruise ship or flight. there are still some restrictions. you can't go-fast boat it over there legally because customs, coast guard, tsa, and shit.

as for the film, it's a great crime flick but really does lack substance and chemistry between characters, especially the two leads. the tv series was known for the character interaction between Crockett and Tubbs, as well as the neon and art deco. the film had little of this. the cinematography, score/music, and action sequences were pretty tight, though. like that other anon said, you really can't top Heat.
>>
>>69815576
>>69814558
yeah, the setting for the final shoot-out changed, but the narrative remained the same. don't know why people assume it would automatically be better because the ending would have been in Haiti rather than in Miami, where it was filmed. i mean, for a movie called Miami Vice, i kind of figured it would have a bit more Miami in it, as in Miamiisms, no just the I'm a fiend for Mojitos bit. it was superficial Miami, but, hey, that's Hollywood for ya.

btw, the screenplay is out on the nets for anyone to dload, read, and make up their own mind, mate. do your worst.
>>
File: original (1).jpg (202 KB, 1200x796) Image search: [Google]
original (1).jpg
202 KB, 1200x796
>>69815576
>>69815635
They were filming in the Dominican Republic and using the Federal Police as security. The local police don't get along with the federal police. A local police officer showed up on the set and wanted to meet Jaime Fox and the actors. He was shot and the production decided it would be safer to leave the country in case he had a brother seeking revenge.

>>69815878
>>69815757
Something about Crockett and Tubbs going "off the grid" with Isabella. Also would have included a "gonzo" (Mann's word) firefight. He's disappointed with the film because he didn't get to shoot his planned ending.

He talks about what happened on the set here: https://soundcloud.com/happysadconfused/michael-mann

He talked about the original ending at a recent retrospective of his work in New York, and someone who was there relates what he said here: http://www.factualopinion.com/the_factual_opinion/2016/02/manncast.html#more

The original script can also be found online.
>>
File: manndaylewis.jpg (111 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
manndaylewis.jpg
111 KB, 1000x667
>>69815743
Maybe for a certain norman, middlebrow audience who has a taste for a conventional kind of dramatic/crime film with explicit, spelled-out characterization and stylized but still pretty standard aesthetic. It's not until the '00s when Mann started filming on digital that he became a more expressive filmmaker with more enigmatic characterization. Audiences have seen so many narrative films that they can impute their own meanings to the images without it being necessary for the filmmaker to spell everything out.
>>
the only great things about it are the soundtrack and Eddie Marsan out-acting everybody in less than 10 minutes of screen time
everyhting else was you typical forced romance, boring one-dimensional characters, unrealisstic scenarios caused by shitty writing, no fluidity, off-putting pacing and the unbearable stench of jewishness, basically all the trademarks of your typical Mann "film"
>>
>>69818111
IT CAN COME BACK ON ME BABEH!
>>
>>69818135
kek
>>
File: Marsan-440x182.jpg (19 KB, 440x182) Image search: [Google]
Marsan-440x182.jpg
19 KB, 440x182
>>69818111
>Why's this happening to me?
>Because you lead a life of crime.
>Can't do time don't mess with crime.
>>
>>69818213
Such a comfy, tastily delicious scene and banter. Few films have that in such high amounts as Miami Vice in my memory
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.