[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At the end of the film, Glass sees his wife standing before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: end 2.png (995 KB, 1916x792) Image search: [Google]
end 2.png
995 KB, 1916x792
At the end of the film, Glass sees his wife standing before him. He looks relieved, but when the spirit walks away from him and disappears, his face is filled with despair (pic related).

The pleb interpretation is that Glass is at death's door, and he's experiencing an hallucination where his wife beckons him into the afterlife a la the end of Braveheart, where William Wallace sees his wife during his execution. However, David Crow argues, “I do not think Iñárritu is going for something nearly as reassuring or appeasing as that sort of bittersweet closer.” Obviously, the end is open to interpretation. Nonetheless, the film's metaphysical subtext strongly suggests that Glass lives on.

When the final shot fades to black, we still hear his breathing, which continues for several seconds during the credits. “That is because he does not die,” argues Crow. “He is a survivalist at heart, and he did not survive grizzly bears, frozen river rapids, French gunfire, and an odyssey of snow only to give up because his revenge is quenched. Rather, Glass will keep breathing even after the credits end, even if it means he is utterly alone.” Keep in mind, Glass is not mortally wounded. During his fight with Fitzgerald, his enemy slashes his cheek, bites off part of his ear, stabs him in the thigh, then stabs his hand—injuries that would cripple an ordinary man. But Glass is anything but ordinary. A “revenant” is someone who returns from the dead. In Iñárritu's film, Hugh Glass is a legend who continuously cheats death, so there's no reason to believe that he could be stopped by a single man.

Full article:

https://zircillius.com/2016/05/19/the-revenants-silent-story-10-important-details-you-might-have-missed/

you're welcome
>>
>>69810653

I just figured it was some hallucination symbolising some sort of redemption.

The directors message after all was spirituality through pain.
>>
>10 details you might have missed

First of all, I noticed all ten of these things. Secondly, they dont change the fact that the story is shit
>>
>>69810734
Right. it's brief spiritual healing then subsequent emptiness, just like the scene where Glass is reunited with his son in the church. They hug, then the little tree nigger turns into a tree (and Leo wears the same bitchy expression he does at the end of the film). My only point is that he doesn't get die. That would be a comfort that the film never grants him.
>>
>>69810653
>open to interpretation

hur dur so lets waste time coming up with theories that cant be proven!
>>
>>69810941
Just because a theory is unprovable doesn't mean it can't be valid. OP is on the right track, but he needs moar evidence.
>>
>>69811111
BOOM THREAD OVER BABY
>>
MUH
>>
>Tom Hardy is known as a "Crew's actor," which caused friction between him and director Alejandro G. Iñárritu, since Iñárritu was extremely belligerent with the shooting crew. Tom Hardy observed this behavior throughout the production and eventually confronted Iñárritu, which resulted in Hardy choking out Iñárritu. Later, the image of Hardy strangling Iñarritu was immortalized in a T-shirt gifted by Hardy to all members of the crew, at the end of the shoot.
>>
>>69810653
I don't think the viewer should care either way if he's alive afterwards or not. The movie didn't do a good job of making you connected with main character or interested in his life after the flick.
>>
>>69811304
Based Hardy
>>
>>69810653
Did anyone really assume he was supposed to die after the picture fades? He would have been lying down on his back if that were the message to be sent.

I don't really understand the whole look right at the camera thing. Seems pretty memey to me. What's the point of it? Talking directly to the viewer? I don't think it shows anything impressive, just self-importance, which I really don't like.

Honestly I think glass should have died, or maybe they just show him looking out over the landscape. As is, though, we question how he is to survive after seeing that his son and wife, in life and death, are the only things that mean anything to him. The look at the camera moment shows, to me, inarritu didn't really know how to justify his continued existence either, so he just tossed in le fourth wall break. I didn't like it.
>>
>>69811619
>I don't really understand the whole look right at the camera thing.

The audience is given the perspective of a spirit throughout the film. In most scenes AGI doesn't cut, so it feels like the camera is a character following Glass around. The idea that Glass is being followed by a ghost is suggested by two dreams, where he sees his wife floating over him, and of course by the final scene.

So when he looks at the camera, he's essentially discovering this spirit. The ending is perfect.
>>
>>69810653
pretty good read, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>69810653
wow, it took you this long to figure it out? pleb
>>
File: ctfo.jpg (49 KB, 466x630) Image search: [Google]
ctfo.jpg
49 KB, 466x630
>>69811304
>>
>>69811895
But he's just looked at his wife in a different place. The he turns his head to the camera. This implies they are separate entities.
>>
>>69810744
ur shit fag
>>
>>69812119
good point. maybe we're being given the POV of his son? His son turns into a tree during a dream, so maybe Glass is sensing Hawks presence in the forest.

After Glass falls off the cliff into the tree (see article linked by OP), he wakes up and looks at its branches, and there's a weird shot-reverse-shot going back and forth from a close up of Leo to a close up of the branches. it's like he's having a conversation with the tree, maybe sensing his sons spirit inside (which makes sense, given how it miraculously saved him from falling).
>>
>>69811304
>>69812034
He really is incharge
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.