[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Batman v Superman failed (kinda)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 29
I major in film at college and I also studied a bit about the business of film. I'm no expert, but from its history I have a hypothesis of why this film failed both in the financial and critical departments.

Simply put, DC and Warner Brothers gambled too much with a director who doesn't know how to make a good story. If you look at his history, Snyder is definitely more competent in making imagery look great than telling an actual story. So as a result, DC probably made the wrong choice for director when they pumped in 400 million into this thing total including both the budget and advertising. They brought in a director who doesn't know how to make compelling stories and thus not get people hooked in. This resulted in a film that looks great, but is very sloppy in its narrative with all of its dream sequences, butchering of comic adaptations, misunderstood characters, bad casting choices like with Lex Luthor, useless character like Lois Lane, too long a runtime, and flat out STOPPING the whole plot just to watch future character trailers.

They needed one billion for this thing just to break even but they got a person who was destined to mess up the complex characters and unique stories that would have had this film good to see, thus avoiding negative reviews discouraging others from seeing it.
>>
Marvel and Fox may not be perfect, but with their biggest successes they at least knew they already had things great to run off from like Iron Man and The Avengers for Marvel when making Civil War, and the longing for a Deadpool film and Days of Future Past when making Deadpool. DC gambled 400m on a film that is a sequel to another film that wasn't even well-received when it came out in 2013 and got in a person who should be a visual director at the very most to lead this whole thing. Marvel and Fox knew better the hindsight of what if these movies failed, and strangely enough, this means while Deadpool grossed less it is still the more profitable film for Batman v Superman, and Civil War is probably going to be more successful than the film already. Came back here after hearing Zack Snyder is apparently going to be put in charge of directing Justice League despite everything else. I wonder at this point if DC can understand what they are doing wrong...
>>
>comic book characters
>complex

yeah, good luck with your studies mate
>>
File: Batman - The Dark Knight Returns.jpg (144 KB, 1024x1600) Image search: [Google]
Batman - The Dark Knight Returns.jpg
144 KB, 1024x1600
>>69807426

Some comic book series are better than others, but Zack Snyder was presented with an opportunity to adapt one of the best Batman graphic novels and overall stories ever made and he fucked up big.

I don't even think he read the thing from just watching the film. All that's in there is from TDKR as I recall is the mechsuit and the fact Batman and Superman fight each other. It's like he carved out the actually interesting reason why the two fought and replaced it with his own shitty fanfiction.
>>
>>69807539
Superheroes are for children and manchildren. That's the end of it
>>
>>69807385
>I major in film at college
Stopped reading
>>
File: Deadpool outrage.jpg (32 KB, 585x210) Image search: [Google]
Deadpool outrage.jpg
32 KB, 585x210
>>69807561

I think the SJW cringe when Deadpool came out would like to disagree with you. Top kek.
>>
>>69807385
so are you actually going to back any of what you're saying up? no? ok great
>>
>>69807539
Why bother? it was already turned into an animated film
>>
>>69807640

True, the animated adaptation of TDKR kicked ass, but it's still a shame to see the potential incorporating some of the best elements from it into a unique BvS film would do considering how Affleck makes for a decent Batman (IMO) and how Snyder can easily bring the comic panels to life with awe. It's like the intro when the parents get murdered, but then it all goes down from there...
>>
>>69807385
Didn't read your post. I already know why it failed. It was one of the most confusing plots in the history of movies. And Jesse Eisenberg sucked as Lex Lutor.
>>
>>69807615

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batman-V-Superman-May-End-Up-Being-Hollywood-Most-Expensive-Movie-89397.html

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Both of these links show Batman v Superman costed a fuckton of cash to make and advertise, and the RT score shows Man of Steel was mostly split down the line in terms of quality. Also, it is opinion, but I think you can find many people including the Walkers and Brad Jones that Snyder is definitely better at making stuff look good than actually making a plot. That combined with an overblown budget asking for 800m to break even (fucked up with the estimates in the OP) and wanting 1b just to be profitable is not wise.
>>
>>69807715

I ended up mentioning those two things in the OP, so on the same page there. I think these two things came from the director though to be specific. Lol.
>>
>>69807539
Let me just ask you this:

Knowing that MoS was already canon, knowing that BvS was being used as a world-building movie, how do you adapt DKR without inverting the theme? That is exactly what he did by pitting a young, fledgling Superman against a jaded, disillusioned, obsessive Bruce, making Clark's death inspire Bruce back to heroism instead of the reverse.

And while you may question the placement of the JL "trailers" within the flow of the film, they're the most blatant clue the audience receives concerning what Lex was actually planning.

As far as Snyder is concerned, I think he can deliver some stunning visuals and carry a subtext on the strength of same, but he's historically taken a rather large canvas to do it. With any luck, teaming wth Affleck will give us the best of both worlds - Snyder's visuals and Affleck's demonstrated knack for taut, concise story-telling.
>>
>>69807385
Not related to any of the conversation going on here, but I told my gf that I'd never see this turd and she pointed out that if was free on a flight I'd probably watch it, and she's right.
>>
>>69807814
Well allright then
>>
>>69807839

I think in that case the problem was already there because Snyder made Superman in MoS too much like Batman already, so the greatest potential was already lost. Man of Steel was heartless too many including me. It was all dark, gritty, and had Superman destroying cities not caring too much about how people died until the end, when his signature thing in the DC Universe is that he is a hopeful and peaceful sign of kindness, and that is why he is so polar to Batman's character, and that's why the contrasting along with the comparison makes the conflict more understandable. But all of that was lost before Batman v Superman started filming because Superman and Batman were already too much alike.

But even then I don't think Snyder adapted TDKR returns really. All I can remember is the mechsuit, the fact Batman and Superman fight, and that's it. Everything else seems to be sequel bait for Justice League, the Death of Superman, a Marvel envy product, and I could go on forever. Why the fuck did Snyder feel as if this film should have been a million things at the same time when making a good Batman v Superman film was more than enough. Probably could have spared us the extra half hour.
>>
>>69807839
>And while you may question the placement of the JL "trailers" within the flow of the film, they're the most blatant clue the audience receives concerning what Lex was actually planning.

Designing names and logos for other superheroes?
>>
>>69807385
You know he didn't write it, yeah? Goyer wrote it and Terrio punched it up.
>>
>>69807385
>Why Batman v Superman failed (kinda)
>>69807581
Stopped reading @ failed
>>
>>69807788
none of what you just posted necessitates expertise in film to point out

now back yourself up as to why the movie is shit
>>
>>69807876

If you're gonna be on a flight going from one end of he Pacific to the other then you'll probably be good enough to watch the "Ultimate Edition". Think the original cut is too long? The ultimate cut is apparently between 3 to 4 fucking hours long.
>>
Wow congrantulations anon

Your degree has clearly enabled you to make some incisive and sophisticated assertions here

Now I know what was surely impossible to know before, that it's a bad idea to spend a whole bunch of dollars to have a sequel made to a widely disliked movie and have it directed by the same guy

truly now I see
>>
>>69808012

I never said it was shit though, I think it has good moments, but I think in the long run it's bad still. Not the worst, just bad. Though if you look up, the critics panned it, and while some audiences look at it more positively, there are also plenty who thinks it was either disappointing or flat out crap.
>>
>>69808017
>The ultimate cut is apparently between 3 to 4 fucking hours long.
fuck's sake
>>
File: fayore din and nayru.jpg (38 KB, 500x307) Image search: [Google]
fayore din and nayru.jpg
38 KB, 500x307
>>69807385
>I studied at film college in order to tell you Zack Snyder was the reason why BvS wasn't good

Thanks for telling us what we've known for fucking years.
>>
>>69807988

I know Goyer is also responsible for a lot of this shit, but I still think when seeing the movie it reeks of Snyder's faults. Aka he makes everything look good but he either doesn't care to fix the confusing as fuck story, or he thinks it's okay to go with and accepts it to begin with. I didn't work on the film, so I don't know exactly how it went down, but after seeing and studying it, I think it shows a huge hand of Snyder's worse faults, even if his visuals are great.

But yeah, Goyer CERTAINLY did not help!
>>
File: 4UCIA.png (224 KB, 704x361) Image search: [Google]
4UCIA.png
224 KB, 704x361
>>69807974
Yup. Connect these dots:

1) Smear campaign to sway public opinion against Supes.
2) Government approval and basic carte blanche to deliver them a "deterrent,"
3) Turning up the heat under Bruce to the point where he steals the kryptonite to confront Clark.
4) Attempting to Blackmail Superman into a murder he could have very easily committed.
5) Gathering information on additional metahumans and doing nothing with it besides designing personalized logos for them.

Take all those pieces and see what you can come up with. For added fun, throw in the Kryptonian AI, Doomsday, and ask yourself if you think Clark had delivered Bruce's head as requested, Lex would have released it then or later.
>>
>>69808094
>confusing as fuck story
you should get your head checked
>>
>>69807971
MoS was far from heartless to me, but to each his own.
>>
>>69808080

I agree, you don't need to go to where I went to find the full answer, but when it comes to studying film in college you will here A LOT about how to be wise with your advertising budget and campaign after the film is being made and after it is done. Some may not know of how important an over bloated advertising campaign can cause later problems.

True still, :P
>>
File: 1463779488983.jpg (42 KB, 500x341) Image search: [Google]
1463779488983.jpg
42 KB, 500x341
>>69808080
>implying you can predict the future.
>>
>>69808017
>>69808059
3 hours, 2 minutes to be exact. Releases July 19th.
>>
>>69808179
Sucker Punch, Watchmen, Man of Steel.
>>
the thing that's absolute bullshit here is that you're not expounding or explaining a point of view, you're not offering anything resembling perspective.
i'd accept nothing else from /tv/
but i guess this has always been the norm in mass media
>>
>>69808143

I just don't understand in anyway why BvS had to be told the way it's told and that lead to me seeing a confusing as fuck plot. Lex Luthor's plans make no sense, and why do we have to have all these dream sequences, one of which is a dream within a dream? By the end it gets more simple to understand, but the whole middle to me is just a big batch of "What the fuck is going on here, and why does all of this shit need to be in the film?"

Really all that needed to be said by the end to summarize all the substance was this:

"Batman and Superman don't like each other. Until Martha, now they do. Supes dies. The end."

but instead we somehow end with 2 and a half goddamn hours.
>>
>>69808189
Say what you will about Sucker Punch, but I happen to think Watchmen and Man of Steel are two of the finest cape films ever made.
>>
>>69808189
i've enjoyed all of those movies. zack snyder is one of my favorite directors and i'm being completely serious right now.

you're just too jaded to enjoy yourself anymore
>>
>>69808189
None of those movies is bad.
>>
>>69808214
>one of which is a dream within a dream
Kryptonian dream tech combined with something like the comics' "cosmic treadmill" concept to keep the Flash's OP time travel abilities on a real short leash, a smart move in my humble opinion.

Furthermore, I'm betting that whatever tech they used is going to take some other rare energy source. Something like, say, a certain green xenomineral.

Did you get it? The rock?
>>
File: 1463730283645.jpg (58 KB, 582x317) Image search: [Google]
1463730283645.jpg
58 KB, 582x317
>>69808189
>implying you are a director
>better than Zack Snyder
go to film school like OP anon,then form an opinion.
>>
>>69808276
Ok I will.
>>
>>69808274
I doubt Snyder would ever be able to do this.
>>
>>69807385
>They needed one billion for this thing just to break even
They needed 400M to cover production and marketing costs. They've done that. It's that someone somewhere estimated 1.5B gross for some reason, so some feel it's coming in low despite doing better than most cape shit
>>
>>69808307
Doubt away. Time will tell.
>>
>>69808214
>a confusing as fuck plot
It's really very straightforward as far as movies go.
>>
>>69808343
>movies
*kino
>>
>>69807385
> failed (kinda)

that sounds like the biggest bomb in history, not "kind of failed", retard
>>
>>69808185
>>69808059
>>69808017
How long is the director's cut of Das Boot?
>>
>>69808214
>BvS had to be told the way it's told

Fact that you understood BvS.yet you want to bitch coz popular opinion.
>>
>>69808315

I accidentally put in the wrong number, they needed 800m to break even, but even then in order to be a decent success many estimated 1b dollars for DC to say "We did it!". Then they didn't even reach the 900m mark. Coupled with the fact it had a mega second weekend drop in sales, and the fact the advertising campaign was bloated.

Deadpool was more profitable because they were more conservative in their campaign, and Civil War has flat out made more than 1 billion now.
>>
>>69808366
http://www.dasboot.com/directors.htm
>>
wait, there are people that think that BvS was too LONG and too COMPLICATED?

what the actual fuck
>>
>>69808357
> implying
Maybe film, but there's plenty of plebshit out there with as or more complicated plots. It's about as difficult to follow as a typical rom com imo. It's just cape shit lovers finding it too difficult after being dumbed down with marvel tier script writing
>>
>>69808366
>>69808384
4h 53m
It's been ages since I've seen it, but I remember it being pretty good.
>>
>>69808364

Again, I put in the wrong number by accident, it was 800m but even then, the thing still under performed when all was said and done.

Though even if BvS grossed under 200m the projected even mark, there are still some box-office flops that would have been worse. There are multiple films that didn't even make half their budget back!
>>
>>69808394

It wasn't complicated in the least bit, but it assumed the audience was familiar with old DC concepts. I can see how the Speedy Gonzales and apocalyptic wasteland scenes could be confusing.
It was far too long for the reasons OP state. Fuck those Lois Lane scenes.
>>
Iunno i found MoS and BvS to be more compelling than the average MEU film.
>>
>>69808366
>>69808384
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot#Versions

Depending on which version, anywhere from nearly three and a half hours to a 6-hour miniseries.
>>
File: 65487195.jpg (287 KB, 715x1010) Image search: [Google]
65487195.jpg
287 KB, 715x1010
potential JL spoiler
>>
>>69808394

I don't agree with him fully, but I still find this review funny still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4aFmjO6lo

Personally I thought it was bad, but I didn't think it was total shit. I liked Affleck, the imagery I thought was great, the action was good for the most part, but the butchering of the adaptations and the oddly planned narrative left me highly disappointed.
>>
>>69808394
rather convoluted than complicated
>>
>>69808473

XD
>>
>>69808475
I blame the eleventh-hour editing butchery. I'm really looking forward to what the director's cut brings to the table.
>>
>>69807974
>>69808106

Come up with anything yet?
>>
>>69808379
>they needed 800m to break even
Where are you getting these numbers from?
>>
>>69808515

I hope the ultimate edition makes it so that the film is trying to be less things at the same time...
>>
i hope that the ultimate cut will feature more of the flash's time travel shenanigans
>>
>>69808473
People who think they're clever comic artists and have no talent are the worst
>>
>>69808556
Have you seen any of the analyses that have been making the rounds in these parts?
>>
>>69808548

http://www.newsy.com/videos/batman-v-superman-needs-800m-to-break-even-but-reviews-are-rotten/

http://theinterrobang.com/batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-needs-gross-800m-break-even/

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/box-office-this-is-how-much-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a132205

http://www.themisfitsnetwork.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-needs-to-gross-800m-to-break-even/

Though some reported 900m or even 1b, but most I saw from the start to finish said 800m.
>>
>>69808499

How was it at all convoluted? It was a fairly straight forward story. Bats is pissed because of 9/11-causing Superman. Superman is worried government hates him, tries to cooperate, and it fails. Bats gets triggered and they fight. Lex pisses them both off and fight Lex's monster.
>>
File: raw.gif (2 MB, 498x213) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
2 MB, 498x213
>>69808548
>>69807385
>>
>>69808626

That's basically the summary of seeing different reports. Some said 800m, a few said 900m, I saw one say 1b.
>>
>>69808615
so what's lex's motivation?
>>
File: Syndrome.jpg (61 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Syndrome.jpg
61 KB, 600x600
>>69808649
To be the guy who the government turns to to stop the "alien menace,"

And I don't mean Doomsday.
>>
>>69808649

Bad guy hates good guy because he's different.
>>
>>69807385
here's how it failed

>the first ever live action batman superman combo movie
>struggles to make a billion dollars worldwide

It would be like god himself came to earth, gave undeniable proof that he was god, and everyone forgot about it 4 months later.
>>
>>69808649
he hates god cause his father assraped him as a child
>>
>>69807385
>major in film at college
>repeat the generic critiques everyone's said already
Why even make this thread?
>>
>>69808542
Not that anon but that's weak story telling because it wasn't clear. And why force Bruce to steal it? Why not just give it to him?
>>
File: Lex1.jpg (536 KB, 2460x1637) Image search: [Google]
Lex1.jpg
536 KB, 2460x1637
>>69808649
>>69808671
>>69808106

Just like Maynard Keenan said:

"I know the pieces fit."
>>
>>69808598
>With a production cost of at least $250 million and added global marketing costs easily topping $150 million, the movie would have to gross $800 million to recoup its investment, if it were reliant just on box office (though the film will also benefit from substantial TV, merchandising and other receipts). Studio insiders consider the $800 million figure inflated.
I think what they've garbled there is that investors would like to see a certain roi to invest in future movies. They won't be expecting to double their money necessarily, that'd be ridiculous. They have tho already broken even.
>>
>>69808691

The context of that is that it was too expensive to make. There have been films like Fantasia that made a ton of cash and were some of the top 3 highest grossing films of the year, but it didn't matter caused it still costed too much. BvS didn't flop but it did underperform.
>>
>>69808722
>it wasn't clear
Why the fuck else would he do it
>>
>>69808708

Part of this is my opinion and I have seen some people who aren't that familiar with advertising campaigns and overblowing them. Like people who would say "200m to make, and made 870m? How did this underperform?!" Then they need to understand how much advertising plays apart.

Also came back because I fully support removing Snyder from being a full blown director for DCEU, but I just heard he is still staying on board for Justice League. So fuck me...
>>
>>69808722
You've just revealed your opinion as shit. Not everything has to be obvious.

Can we go back to the late 90s early 00's era when the plebs watched shit like Fight Club and Donnie Darko and didn't expect everything to be obvious like in their shitty comics.
>>
>>69808722
Because having Bruce steal it lets Lex appear to be above blame. The one real hitch in his plan was Senator Finch denying him his import license. It was the one place where he'd have provably been outside the bounds of legality had everything else gone as planned.

Martha was never going to come out of this alive. Neither was Lois. They were the only two living witnesses who could contradict his version of events. Even the Senate bombing took out the security guard, the Senator that gave him what he wanted, and the Senator that was starting to smell a rat.
>>
I didn't study in film at collerge, and I didn't study a bit about the business of film.
I could have told you this myself.
>>
>>69808743
But 150 and 250 is 400

not 800
>>
>>69808809
I know right.
>>
>>69808748
I think everyone seems to be overlooking the incredible fact that it's the first live action movie of all time to feature batman, superman, and wonder woman, with the promise of a justice league movie, and it's struggling to make 1 billion worldwide. This movie should have made 2.3 easy with all of that icon power behind it.
>>
>>69807385
If you have major in film and this is all you can come up with. Then you are fucking pathetic student and it was waste of money.
>>
>>69808441
Which is bullshit because I've never read a Batman or Superman comic and understood it just fine. The dream was obviously a vision of a possible future when Superman turns nuts and fucks everything up. It was probably in some comic, but who cares as long as it got the point across.
>>
>>69808851
the best part about the complaints about the dreams is that they don't happen randomly
they're telegraphed ahead of time
>>
>>69808785
You tell me.

>>69808804
Gg m8

>>69808805
Then why keep them alive? Why not straight out murder Martha? Not like Superman knew she was still alive. Look, I liked the movie, but lex was fucking horrible.
>>
>>69808845

To be fair, that would make it the second or third grossing movie ever, so I don't expect THAT MUCH from it, but yeah, when it comes to the first movie featuring possibly the three most famous superheroes of all time together on the big screen ALL together, you expect this thing to be just as significant as The Avengers, if not more, but instead it underperformed. What bad reviews and mega second weekend drops will do. They should have been more wise with how much they put into it with Snyder and Goyer still on board.
>>
File: The Gospel of Snyder.jpg (3 MB, 3943x3174) Image search: [Google]
The Gospel of Snyder.jpg
3 MB, 3943x3174
>>69808805 again.

Posting this just for the benefit of those who haven't already seen it, then I'm off to bed. I don't agree with every last jot and tittle of what's here, but it's close enough for government work,

Notice how many of the visuals play into the following themes: obsession, heroism, and perception vs. reality.
>>
>>69808851
It's comic book people coming to film
>you may not be familiar with complicated comic book story telling techniques but there are these things called flashbacks and dream sequences...
Yes a lot of them are retarded.
>>
>>69807385
>>69807392
You have absolutely idea what you are talking about. Film Major? If I were you i'd get my money back and start looking for a different school because it's clear that you don't know shit.
>>
>>69808583
Maybe, but people who criticize them while can't even drawing at all is the worst among all.
>>
>>69808896
>>69808851
funnily enough the dark knight returns has bruce tripping out "randomly" as well
>>
>>69808881
>Why not straight out murder Martha?
That I can't say for sure, unless they didn't want to risk him hearing it and tipping their hand too early.
>>
>>69808930

Business was only one part of it, and the thing with me is that I learned way more about advertising campaigns, so I am satisfied now, and look forward to completion.

Btw, did you mean absolutely "NO" idea? Plus it's pretty clear when looking into its history how the budget fucked this thing over.
>>
>>69808938
Found a new worst
>>
>>69808962
If you're unfamiliar with that capture in >>69808893, look it over when you get a chance. Some fascinating observations in there.

Now I'm off to bed. It's been nice talking with you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ex2Ttz3sgA
>>
>wwwaaaaaaaaaahhh I don't like the thing!
>>
>>69809096
desu all the hyperbole around the movie is weird
>>
>>69807392
How did this guy write this response so fast... Some crazy smart people on this board, wow.
>>
File: BvS interpretations 1.jpg (653 KB, 632x2088) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 1.jpg
653 KB, 632x2088
Not saying I totally agree with these, but they're food for thought. The fact that people are so interested in the movie means the symbolism is intriguing at the very least. Whether it fits together is down to opinion.

Personally, I think it works very well as a story about how these heroic icons fit into our culture and the conflict between hope vs nihilism. Not deep stuff, but intelligently put together. Maybe it's because I don't care about Superman or Batman and was willing to go along with what the film was doing. Because the complaint that it "didn't understand the characters" doesn't apply to me, I just saw it as using these iconic figures to tell its own story. I don't agree with the OP's assessment that it should have straight adapted one of the comic stories it took influences from.
>>
File: BvS interpretations 2.jpg (343 KB, 628x1262) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 2.jpg
343 KB, 628x1262
>>69809155
>>
File: BvS interpretations 3.jpg (902 KB, 629x3321) Image search: [Google]
BvS interpretations 3.jpg
902 KB, 629x3321
>>69809174
>>
>>69809153

I went over limit when writing the whole thing, so I copied the parts that went overboard, deleted it, posted it, and immediately replied to the comment to finish my thoughts via pasting. I'm new to the site so sorry if that's something retarded and there is something simpler to do :/
>>
>>69809199
Nah, that's what I'd have done, too.
>>
>muh superhero movies
Gimme a paragraph on the work of a decent director and we'll see if your degree is worth shit
>>
File: jesse.png (470 KB, 450x833) Image search: [Google]
jesse.png
470 KB, 450x833
why was he so unlikeable

he was gay as fuck and talked like someone who inhaled helium
>>
>>69809353

George Lucas was born on May 14, 1994 in Modesto, California. He studied film at the University of Southern California and while studying there worked on short films. Lucas later saw himself working with legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola who helped him get his first short film, Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB, turned into a feature-length movie thanks to the help of Warner Brothers.

While the movie did flop at the box-office, Lucas did not give up and later found success with both the critics and the box-office when he made his first hit, American Graffiti in 1973. Lucas would then go on to make a film that would earn him his legendary reputation forever. Desiring to make a fantasy-like movie set in space and taking much inspiration from the classic Flash Gordon movie serials, George Lucas went on to make his science-fiction epic Star Wars which was released on May 25, 1977 after facing a troubling amount of production issues. While some studios expected the movie to bomb, Star Wars instead became a massive success. At the time, it was the highest-grossing movie ever released, and would go on to be loved by critics and audiences alike, even winning several Academy Awards. While Lucas would not direct the next two sequels in the original Star Wars Trilogy (The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi), Lucas would still dearly assist in the creation of both films. Since then, Star Wars has turned into an extremely successful, multi-million film franchise, and is considered to be a famous part of American culture, and could be the most celebrated film franchise of all time.
>>
>>69809470

After the original Star Wars movie was released, Lucas would also develop the idea for an adventure film along with his friend, director Steven Spielberg, which would later develop into the 1981 film, Raiders of the Lost Ark. The film would go on to spawn two more sequels by 1989, which Lucas helped produce alongside director Steven Spielberg. All three movies would become part of the Indiana Jones franchise which is arguably the most celebrated adventure-film franchise in cinematic history, and would also be released to critical acclaim and large success at the box office.

However, after the Star Wars trilogy Lucas would go into a period of near dormancy as he would direct little material before 1999. In 1986 George Lucas served as an executive producer for the cult-classic Jim Henson film Labyrinth and would also help produce the critically-panned adult superhero film Howard the Duck. Though in 1997, Lucas began making revisions and alterations to the original Star Wars trilogy trilogy in order to create the versions he apparently wanted right from the start. Computer effects were added into numerous scenes, bits of dialogue were taken out and replaced, and the film was given a digital remastering. This was done to a decent amount of controversies as many of these changes have been criticized for being unnecessary and distracting.

Lucas would then go on to be viewed in more of a negative light when the infamous Star Wars Prequel Trilogy was released in theaters from 1999 to 2005. Despite the huge amount of hype, the three Star Wars prequel films were heavily criticized for their failure to recapture the magical and wondrous feeling of the original trilogy, and their overemphasis on special effects instead of decent storytelling.
>>
>>69809470
you get an F
>>
>>69809504

Things didn’t go better for Lucas’s reputation when he helped make the fourth Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull along with Steven Spielberg, which would go on to also receive fairly critical reviews of its quality and has been dubbed one of the worst films of the entire franchise. Since selling his company Lucasfilm to the Walt Disney Company in 2012, Lucas has also been responsible for the story of the 2015 animated jukebox musical film, Strange Magic. This Lucasfilm received a largely negative response from audiences and critics alike, and is one of the biggest box-office failures in the history of animated films.
>>
File: Tenzin Shrug.jpg (25 KB, 262x292) Image search: [Google]
Tenzin Shrug.jpg
25 KB, 262x292
>>69809506
>>
>>69809470
>Decent director
>George Lucas
Automatic failure
>>
>>69809549
Lemme rephrase then. Great director. How about you name the 5 greatest directors you can think of and i'll pick one and give you a subject to talk about.
>>
>>69809558
>[

Dude, even with his future failures he directed and assisted with two of the most loved filmed franchises in all of film history along with American Grafiti. Not to mention his help with Labyrinth.
>>
>>69809593
Doesn't make him a decent director.
>>
>>69809585

- Steven Spielberg
- Francis Ford Coppola
- Stanley Kubrick
- Chris Sanders and Dean Deblois
- Christopher Nolan
- Akira Kurosawa
- Edward Zwick
- Clint Eastwood
>>
>>69809653

More like doesn't make you a person of cinematic relevance lol.
>>
>>69809657
>this is the type of person that goes to film school
I won't even bother mate, how about you post your analysis on /r/movies or something
>>
ITT: Butthurt DCucks
>>
>>69809685

Lol, are you the one who attends Uwe Boll films at midnight release?
>>
>>69809732
nope
>>
>>69809677
Good one. You really got me anon, you're going places.
>>
File: Feels Laughs.jpg (8 KB, 195x200) Image search: [Google]
Feels Laughs.jpg
8 KB, 195x200
>>69809755

You're right, you're right, you make sure to get a pre-screening.
>>
>>69809804
XD
>>
File: 1459061097778.jpg (134 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1459061097778.jpg
134 KB, 400x400
>>69807385
>I major in film at college
Hahahaha faggot
>>
you're the faggot lol
>>
File: Everywhere.jpg (30 KB, 550x304) Image search: [Google]
Everywhere.jpg
30 KB, 550x304
Faggots. Faggots. Everywhere.
>>
File: 1458969365533.jpg (72 KB, 600x811) Image search: [Google]
1458969365533.jpg
72 KB, 600x811
>>69809955
Failed at replying- was it a community college? Or did you just watch some Community and mistook it for an educational program?
>>
>>69810055
there is literally nothing wrong with community college, i bet you dont even go to a normal one idiot
>>
File: BTRCP.jpg (7 KB, 155x225) Image search: [Google]
BTRCP.jpg
7 KB, 155x225
Privatized campus with a bunch of obnoxious preachers coupled by freezing as fuck winters and hungover as fuck cashiers...probably...
>>
File: 1459567135294.gif (412 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
1459567135294.gif
412 KB, 350x233
>>69807611
>SJWs aren't manchildren

your inner reddit is showing
>>
File: Colossal Titan.png (1 MB, 978x550) Image search: [Google]
Colossal Titan.png
1 MB, 978x550
>>69810259

Build your wall, I've got a black up plan anyways...
>>
It wasn't even a flick, and that's saying something. It didn't feel like anything. Rushed, shitty script, unnessecsry pointless scenes, bad casting, bland storyline.
>>
>>69808881
>You tell me.

But I think it's the reason already outlined. I can't tell you why else he would do it, I don't know how else he would do it. Because I think he did it for the obvious reason.
>>
>>69810358
it just got 100ft taller
>>
File: 1460366636867.jpg (36 KB, 549x549) Image search: [Google]
1460366636867.jpg
36 KB, 549x549
Here's ACTUALLY why BvS failed (kinda)

marvel makes a shit load of money per movie, this has become a given, NOT JUST because their characters (which are garbage), but mostly because they've built a brand recognition through creating a shared universe in their movies. This creates an absolutely huge appeal to ALOT of the movie-going market.
Think of it like this, Tripfag McGee wants to go see a movie, and let's say that Doctor Strange is out right now, through all the advertising of the movie he's seen, he knows it's from marvel, and since he knows that; he also knows that it's in the same universe as that other franchise he really loves (e.g. Iron Man), so he'll go see it, kind of like seeing the next episode of a TV series. Disney has conjured up this very clever method of psychological influence, where, as long as they stick to that lequip formula that the audience has come to expect, they cannot fail.
>>
File: 1463300769073.jpg (83 KB, 638x425) Image search: [Google]
1463300769073.jpg
83 KB, 638x425
>>69811388
cont.

Now, enter DC, a universe that is quite literally going to COMPETE with marvel (originally BvS was just going to be MoS 2, much like the next movie of the MCU being Iron Man 2 NOT counting the incredible hulk since that was a commercial failure). DC, as a competitor are building a universe minus the failures of the MCU. As I said earlier, the MCU has changed the way superhero movies are made/marketed through ingenious marketing strategies, something i feel DC didn't fully consider when changing MoS 2 to BvS, thanks to marvel, the financial success of superhero movies is no longer based on how popular the characters being used are (although it's still a strong component, hence BvS making 800 million compared to iron man 2's 600 million), the audience has become desensitised to the idea of different character franchises in the same movie, most analysts had projected BvS as making well over a billion, and as i've read it's based almost solely on the fact that it has batman, superman and wonder woman in the same movie, but that just won't cut it anymore, and now DC has paid the price in negative backlash, people thinking it underperformed because it was 'shit', but, as the MCU and transformers movies have shown us, critical reception, let alone the movie's quality, has little to NO effect on the box office, only a movie's legacy. On that note, i doubt all the critical praise in the world could harbuor a positive legacy to marvel movies, they're all garbage.
>>
>>69811265
What obvious reason?
>>
>>69811437
>too stupid to interpret things

classical MCUck
>>
>>69811496
No, I just to be clear about what reason you think he did it particularly this point :

>5) Gathering information on additional metahumans and doing nothing with it besides designing personalized logos for them.
>>
File: BATMAN V SUPERMAN.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BATMAN V SUPERMAN.png
2 MB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFFiyYRzj6E
>>
>>69811406
What is that picture even trying to convey?

Affleck won a meme Oscar..

Evans is 100x better and diverse actor. Has 100x better movies from big budget to indie movies, is loved worldwide as Captain America in AAA money making movies.

What's Affleck? Decent Bruce Wayne in an absolute terrible movie with a franchise that's already hit the fan before its started. Barely in movies. And 90% are shit with bad acting.
>>
>>69811617
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>69811666
great reply upvoted
>>
>>69811691
talk to my GET you dumb BITCH
>>
>>69811567

Wait so there's no practical effect Armored Batsuit? Pretty impressive
>>
>>69811707
great reply upvoted
>>
>>69811567
where's the CGI for Gadot in 99% of her scenes
>>
>>69811437
The reason outlined in the post to which you replied wherein I replied to your reply.

Have I gone insane?
>>
File: 1459783080764.jpg (189 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459783080764.jpg
189 KB, 1080x1080
>>69811666
Satan has spoken, anon needs to gb2r*ddit
>>
>>69811707
fuck off
>>
>>69811795
no u
>>
I major in physics at college and I also watch films sometimes. I'm no expert, but from its history I have a hypothesis of why this film failed both in the financial and critical departments.

It's shit.
>>
>>69811778
Possibly. You're playing some stupid game where you think your point is crystal clear and that we can read your mind. Connect the dots for me.
>>
>>69811795
great reply upvoted
>>
>>69811839
connect YA MUM'S TITS
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.