[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overrated people because they died thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 17
File: PatriceOneal.png (2 MB, 1500x1108) Image search: [Google]
PatriceOneal.png
2 MB, 1500x1108
Overrated people because they died thread
>>
>>69803962
Tough but fair.

He was awesome and deserved high praise no doubt but he said and believed a lot of stupid shit everyone forgets about in retrospect.

Although same could be said for George "muh wage gap" Carlin while he was alive too.
>>
>>69803962

>overrated people

just fucking leave dude
>>
>>69804052
Can we agree that Carlin was just ahead of his time more than anything? I can't imagine he'd be hugely successful in this era

>>69804091
not an argument
>>
File: bill hicks.jpg (31 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
bill hicks.jpg
31 KB, 620x620
>>69803962
The most overrated
>>
>>69804391
yup
>>
>>69804391
What are you talking about? Alex Jones is great
>>
>>69804391
>le tell it like it is man
>>
File: Brandon Lee.jpg (309 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Brandon Lee.jpg
309 KB, 1280x800
>>
File: kurtcobainrex_450x250.jpg (24 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
kurtcobainrex_450x250.jpg
24 KB, 450x250
>>
>>69804529
his career sure, but not his joker performance
>>
File: Gandalf.jpg (162 KB, 801x1000) Image search: [Google]
Gandalf.jpg
162 KB, 801x1000
Christopher Lee.

yes he's done hundreds of movies but 95% of them are shitty. and in every one he plays the same character ... himself.
>>
>>69804594
>his joker performance
What was good about it?
>>
You know it in your heart to be true
>>
>>69804603
Yeah but he's not overrated BECAUSE he died. It's more because he was such an iconic actor and this was true while he was alive.
>>
Patrice was a based nigger who it to the liberal cocksuckers constantly, dude would be votung trump if he was still alive. His standup was great too. OP is a faggot
>>
>>69804647
subjective, really don't care
>>
>>69804653
Again this guy was loved by everyone (other than his wife) while he was still kicking.
>>
>>69804653
Phil Hartman isn't overrated.

He died in his fucking prime. He would have grown out of it, but he died at a very unfortunate time in a very unfortunate way.
>>
>>69804685
fat nigger that never felt like doing comedy, 80% of his punchlines is "like" followed by not finishing his sentence
>>
>>69804696
So you can't say what you liked about it? Or you don't care to?
>>
>>69804731
I don't know how I'd be able to describe to another person why I like any performance for any character ever...I just liked it
>>
>>69804174
I'll meet you halfway and agree on Carlin being ages of his time.

I think his notoriety mainly just came from being someone who caused trouble for a recording of him saying dirty words on the radio and fought publicly for his right to say dirty words. Beyond that I don't think his material was that amazing compared to other comedians.

But what do I know. I've not listened to all his stuff I just got halfway through "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops" and realised I'd rather read something less retarded.
>>
>>69803962
>overrated
>most people don't even know about him
>>
so it's established that the only dead comedian who isn't overrated is Mitch Hedberg right?
>>
>>69804774
"An inability to vocalize one's own preference is the sign of those of lesser intelligence capabilities, who also often are born from a lower caste. Their preferences are purely artificial and either come about through rehearsal of something they often hear of from other people, or television commercials. They ought not be treated by anything more than cattle - wage slaves who drive the economy". - Sigmund Freud
>>
>>69803962
A comedian is like the most pathetic thing you could possibly be, they're all overrated
>>
>>69804931
depends on who you ask but I personally enjoy the hell out of him

If 90% of comedians were able to make the observations he did constantly they'd have 15 minutes of material per joke...instead he just made them one liners
>>
>>69805012
well thanks for the most forced conversation ever, wow nobody cares
>>
>>69805070
>being a good comedian
>not one of the hardest jobs in existence

KYS
Y
S
>>
File: brandonLee.jpg (12 KB, 282x350) Image search: [Google]
brandonLee.jpg
12 KB, 282x350
Some horrible posts so far.

Looks like it's up to me to save the thread.
>>
>>69805102
Not that anon, but I care.
>>
>>69805123
ooook
>>
File: brittanyMurphy.jpg (86 KB, 970x808) Image search: [Google]
brittanyMurphy.jpg
86 KB, 970x808
>>
>>69805012
Pretty impressive Freud commented on Television commercials despite dying in '39.
>>
>>69804540
>>69805140

I agree with these two, the rest I can see how someone would like.
>>
File: jeffBuckley.jpg (210 KB, 1200x1297) Image search: [Google]
jeffBuckley.jpg
210 KB, 1200x1297
>>
File: river-phoenix.jpg (100 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
river-phoenix.jpg
100 KB, 618x412
Post a better example I bet you can't
>>
>>69804685
this
>>
>>69805266
Dude, he wasn't overrated. He was the real deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__uu9kNBDS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQm1cX8uWxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufLtcrNzA6k
>>
File: Marilyn-Monroe-01.jpg (164 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Marilyn-Monroe-01.jpg
164 KB, 1200x1200
>>69805295

Check and mate.
>>
>>69805123
only jobs that require physical labor are harder than comedy. Comedy is definitely a hard job that very few can do
>>
>>69803962

His last special before he died is a fucking masterpiece though.

Probably one of the greatest stand up specials of all time.
>>
>>69805407
>only jobs that require physical labor are harder than comedy.

L O L

go to bed joe
>>
>>69805378
No way, she was a genuine icon in her time and literally one of the most influential women to ever exist. River Phoenix was just a retard who OD'd.
>>
File: overrated.jpg (91 KB, 923x551) Image search: [Google]
overrated.jpg
91 KB, 923x551
>>
>>69805407
while doctors and lawyers are as easy as they come, huh?
>>
The best thing for a successful comedian is to die young.

Patrice died before he turned into a cuck. Could you imagine if he lived and he was defending Amy Schumer?

Often feel the same way about Joe Rogan.

If he died shortly after his old Netflix special he would be remembered as one of the best comedians for bits like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8R5ZlDiJg
>>
>>69804052
who cares about what a comedian believes as long as he's funny?

>>69804931
he's pretty much a ripoff of Steven Wright
>>
>>69805528
that's not true of bob marley at all. the others, yeah kinda
>>
>>69805528

What about people that got forgotten about more after they died?

Elliott Smith was a turbo meme. Then he died. And now today no one gives a shit about him. Lmao.
>>
>>69803962
>he said and believed a lot of stupid shit everyone forgets about in retrospect.

Care to fill me in? Everything I've heard him say is 100% true but I've only heard 2 of his shows and a few of his interviews. Coming from a guy who dated both, his whole bit about white girl personalities being good on the front end and black girl personalities being good on the back end is one of the more astute observations I've heard in stand up in regards to dating.
>>
>>69805604
he's still a turbo meme desu
>>
>>69805676
whoops meant for
>>69804052
>>
File: nickdrake2.jpg (266 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
nickdrake2.jpg
266 KB, 600x338
The best thing ever is the people that died young but no one knew who the fuck they were when they died but it turns out they were cool as shit when they were alive.
>>
>>69803962
Fuck off and die. It's gotten a little death-culty since he passed, but he was one of the best.
>>
>>69805528
what the hell is Bob Marley doing on that list
>>
>>69804391

He clearly tapped into the collective sub conscious and envisioned a take on the joke that most people thought was the most accurate representation of him within the nolan universe. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Jack Nicholson didn't do it and previous incarnations (including Hamil) were so unambitious it's really hard not to give Heath credit. He took the character from a 2 dimensional mustache twiddler hellbent on revenge into something people could see as a legitimate threat.
>>
>>69803962
man fuck you
>>
>>69804931

Poor Mitch, I liked him a lot.
>>
>>69805813
god fucking damnt that post was meant for
>>69804731
>>
>>69805183

She had that perfect haunted look with a dash of white trash.

I would mouth fuck her to death if she wasn't already dead.
>>
>>69805813
THANK YOU this is why it's a GOAT performance, he took it so far that it killed him.
>>
>>69804529
>>69804540
>>69805140
>>69805183
>>69805266
>>69805378

This isn't a murder victim thread guys
>>
>>69805682

I haven't heard anyone talk about Elliott Smith in like 10 years.
>>
>>69805957
He's a pretty big deal on /mu/
>>
>>69804391
Bill hicks is the classic example of you give a guy a microphone and all of a sudden he's a preacher.
>>
File: 1378178867190.gif (844 KB, 338x307) Image search: [Google]
1378178867190.gif
844 KB, 338x307
>ctrl + f "elliott"
>two results
>>
>>69806046
and the people that call him overrated are a classic example of people making up arbitrary qualifiers for someone being overrated.

>OH NO HE WANTED TO GET A MESSAGE OUT HES ABSOLUTE SHIT

but let's be honest. No one that agrees with him thinks he was overrated. This is just some petty ideology beef most of the time.
>>
>>69804931
Quite the opposite. Pretty funny guy who's revered as a comedy god due to his ability to condense decently funny observations into a 140 character or less format. He was perfect for the age of image macros in that sense.

I am a fan of his but if you listen to other comedians talk about him you notice how he's viewed as being in this strange plane of existence that even other comedians don't understand. It's mainly because he was shy/not interested in being in a clique like most other comedians and admittedly due to his ability to make people laugh with one sentence that most comedians don't understand.

He was good but he's placed on a lofty pedestal.
>>
>>69805528
Third for remove Bob. Dude was an insane icon while alive and aided in massive movements.
>>
>>69806364
I'm just another of those types that's obsessed with him, only he can make me laugh and then ponder on what he really meant afterwards.
>>
>>69806364
>>69804931

Honestly the Mitch Hedburg shit fucking enrages me because I tried to turn tons of people onto him the last couple years before his death and no one would give him ear. 11 years after he died somehow everyone "was" a fan of his before he died. Due to this, even though I'm a huge fan, I'd have to call him overrated. His death clearly catapulted him beyond what he would have achieved alive in that amount of time.
>>
>>69806489
>I liked it before it was cool
>>
>>69806802
Not at all. He was cool 2 years before he died and you completely missed the point of what I said. Check the subject of the thread. It's OK that he has new fans but he went from 2009ish stanhope status to rivaling the biggest headliners due to his death.
>>
>>69804862
Being fair, a lot of the shit he says is taken for granted now because generations of comedians have used him as inspiration. We basically wouldn't have Louie the Cuck without him, and I'd consider that a real loss for comedy, even if for just his show Louie.

I dunno man, George pissed off a hell of a lot of people for him to just be preaching mediocre shit. He wasn't just there to make you laugh, he was there to make you consider why something was funny in the first place as well. He was all about the humor in common, everyday bullshit we all deal with but never talk about.

That aside, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops and to a lesser extent his comments on religion were the weakest material he had, but they were a response to a violently Catholic upbringing, and a reaction to an American public that had just accepted Christianity as the de-facto religion, despite the fact that as he proved, plenty of other mindsets were in the US.

Maybe you don't find him funny, comedy is a very subjective art form and proving when something is "good" is difficult at best. But you can't deny he had talent as an entertainer, and he had real, valid insight at the time of his specials and audio recordings most times.

Personally, I liked his more observational humor about the ins and outs of language, or things like A Place For My Stuff.
>>
>>69806489
I'm sure ten years before that someone was saying the exact same thing about Bill Hicks.
>>
>>69807194
As an addendum to this, part of the reason Carlin was so very much against Christian conservatives back in his day is because they were the moral police force that the liberal left has now become: they were all about telling you what you can and couldn't say, or what could and couldn't be done in art. Because the country at the time was such an overwhelming majority, I believe in some ways he compensated by turning up the vitriol.

Christianity aside, he was never fond of any religion, so you certainly can't call him your typical fedora.
>>
>>69807223
Bill Hicks was one of the biggest comedians of his time though. His recent resurgence of popularity was due to the documentary on him. Mitch was small time but well known amongst comedy fans. Hick's death didn't impact his popularity at all really. The somewhat recent documentary on his life did however.
>>
>>69805557
He is technically correct in that sense. You can find bad doctors and lawyers everywhere, but a bad comedian causes the word to spread fast.
>>
File: jew-wario-rip-595x347[1].jpg (28 KB, 595x347) Image search: [Google]
jew-wario-rip-595x347[1].jpg
28 KB, 595x347
>>
Carlin.

Now I'm old and bitter like him and its not cool anymore.
>>
>>69804931
He is not over rate cause his rating is unfunny shit tier.

Frozen banana now or later hurr durr.
>>
Jesus Christ
>>
>>
>>69805528
Tupac, Cobain and Lennon were god tier long before they died. Shit list.
>>
>>69807291
Meh he had moderate exposure in England and mild exposure in the US and Canada. He's certainly one of the most legendary comedians but it's a huge stretch to say he was among the biggest of his time. At least not while he was around.
>>
>>69805592
Just saying that there's a lotta stuff he said at the time which would've put people off of him.

But now he's dead looking back people only look at his food specials or his best clips on O&A or the times he BTFO of feminists on the news.

That's all I was saying.

But anyone who can keep their politics out of their art (or at least not be too obnoxious about it like Anthony Burch) is fine by me.
>>
>>69805698
He seemed to believe in a lot of weird conspiracy theories that made him sound a bit nuts at times
>>
>>69807409
*le tip*
>>
>>69805813
This guy gets it
>>
Bernie Mac
>>
>>69807456
>Meh he had moderate exposure in England and mild exposure in the US and Canada

You are getting his career path confused for his popularity prior to his death. In the last couple years before his death he was one of if not the biggest comedian in the US. He was never eddie murphy status, but he wasn't competing with eddie murphy at the time.
>>
>>69807540
>if not the biggest comedian in the US
Not even close.
>>
>>69804908
overrated does not mean a popular national icon
it means praised more than is deserved
>>
>>69807253
His religious stuff I didn't mind. The whole chapter in that book about how women have so worse than men was grade A retardation though.

I kept thinking there'd be a turnaround at the end like he'd read off a whole lot of complaints men had about women which were equally idiotic but no he actually believed all that shit.

It's like in the original Kray brothers movie "The Krays" where some old woman is talking about how women had it worse during WW2 because they had to stay home with the kids while men got to go off and play with tanks and aeroplanes. It's so ridiculous that you're sure there's a point behind it but then you find out no, the writer ACTUALLY believes this shit.

I guess I found it irritating for years that he would talk a lotta shit about straight white males but never seemed to have the balls to talk about gay niggers.
>>
>>69807585
>NAH UH

Whatever kid. I was alive watching people get hyped for his specials/CDs/tapes. I bet you can't even name 3 other comedians that were dominant in comedy from 89-91.
>>
>>69807712
So was I, and if you really were I find it hard to believe you weren't aware of any American comedians bigger than Bill Hicks then. Christ even one of Bill's former friends was bigger at the time than he was. It's ok to be wrong though.
>>
>>69807775
> and if you really were I find it hard to believe you weren't aware of any American comedians bigger than Bill Hicks then

This coming from the guy who answered name 3 bigger comedians with

>that guy that was his friend
>>
>>69807682
Nice blog bro.
>>
For the people saying Carlin, 'no'. People get hung up on his material, but his real strength was his delivery. He could control a room better than any standup ever.
>>
>>69806381

you got that right, whenever i gotta take a massive movement I put some marley on the stereo. IDK why tho, maybe because he's so shit
>>
>>69807817
Sam Kinison (who I was referring to) was objectively more famous than him during their lifetimes, as was Dice Clay, George Carlin, Pryor, Gallagher, Steve Martin, Seinfeld, Murphy, Leary, Barr, to name a few. Even dinosaurs like Dangerfield were still enjoying major success in that time, certainly more so than Hicks. So there you go.
>>
>>69807903
XD 100 100 family
>>
>>69803962
James Dean. He only made three movies.

Popular Hollywood anecdote: When Dean died, his final movie, Giant, came out seven days later.

It was a huge hit due to the actor's recent death.

Supposedly, a Hollywood exec came upon a poster of Giant displaying Dean. As he walked by, he said, "Nice career movie, kid."
>>
>>69807436
I wish..
>>
>>69808290
James Deen has been in literally hundreds of movies.

I've personally spunked to at least a dozen
>>
Erroll Flynn

Only famous because of that song about him
>>
>>69805140
Sting died?
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.