[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished watching and wow, I must say this was genuinely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14
File: mad-men-banner.jpg (47 KB, 630x300) Image search: [Google]
mad-men-banner.jpg
47 KB, 630x300
Just finished watching and wow, I must say this was genuinely the most overhyped waste of time I have ever bothered to see.

I mean people say that Dragon Ball Z has a history of filler garbage, but damn, this one takes the cake. There are like 5 episodes that have any real value, the rest are pretty stagnant and uselss. So much so if you removed most of them, you'd still get the jist of what was going on. It isn't bad, but it sure as hell isn't good. It is just somthing to watch. I tried watching it in different ways. Psychologically, casually, etc. And in the end I came out of it wishing I spent my time being productive. The acting is meh. I didn't ever feel like I was immersed as I would in other shows, I felt like, "Okay, get on with it" the whole time. I read up, saw explanations, and still came out with listening some self righteous pricks thinking this is the Mona Lisa of TV, when it probably is something a millenial hipster painted.

The only things that were mildly interesting were the war flashbacks and the time period. And right here you think Oh you only like action, no. I like talk, I like actual progression of a storyline, and the war flashbacks were the only thing that did progress. Everything else was just meh. Like seriously, this shit was so predictable. It always went Don does something questionable (affair, decisions, etc.), it ends badly, Don becomes emo, Don is enlightened, rinse and repeat. People call Snyder a hack when a guy like Weiner is running about?

Oh but look at the characters they say. I hated everyone on the show. EVERY LAST ONE OF EM. Not because I got worked. Because they are boring as shit. I could write a book about how shit character development was, and before you try to "correct" me, really think deep about it. The development was weak as hell.

I came out of this with nothing but boredom and quite frankly feel quite upset that I wasted all this time watching it to the end. Am I wrong /tv/?
>>
>>69795221

>I Have Shit Taste: The Post
>>
hahahahahahaha

i legitimately feel bad for you

that you honestly have these opinions

you're missing out by not having this click
>>
>>69795221
>I could write a book about how shit character development was

You could also write a book about what it's like living with a sub 80 iq
>>
Yeah you're wrong
>>
>>69795221
>The only things that were mildly interesting were the war flashbacks

Literally stopped reading
>>
Saved. Really good job at capturing the role of the buffoon who doesn't understand what a character study is.
>>
File: 1457767600115.jpg (227 KB, 720x593) Image search: [Google]
1457767600115.jpg
227 KB, 720x593
>>
>>69796907
>>69796973
>>69797028
>>69797059
>>69797096
>>69797115

>all these posts and not a single argument

>>69797153
Sums up the show. Fucking waste of time.
>>
Brandan if this is you, end yourself
>>
>The only things that were mildly interesting were the war flashbacks

I literally laughed. Good work OP.
>>
>>69795221
>Am I wrong /tv/?
yeah, but just because you're too dumb to appreciate great /tv/ doesnt mean it's your fault
>>
File: 1380857501750.gif (3 MB, 446x250) Image search: [Google]
1380857501750.gif
3 MB, 446x250
>>69797680
>>69797728

>Oh look, more posts. STILL no arguments
>>
>>69795221
It's basically Let's Watch 1950s Chad: The Show
>>
>>69797798
>A post I see! An argument I don't.

>>69797841
Accurate.
>>
I agree OP, far too much talking and arguing and all that other confusing shit. hell sometimes they would go an entire SEASON without anyone dying, what's up with that?

I don't know why anyone would bother to watch a show with no car chases, gunfights, explosions, or dance numbers
>>
>>69795221
I get OP's point.

The show was well made, but Don Draper was by far the least interesting character in it. After like 1 episode, Don's ENTIRE character is summed up with "You want what you can't have" which explains every single thing he does the entire show.

Peggy, Pete, Rodger, Cooper, Even that Jewish guy had more depth.

The reality is, many fans, especially 4channers, all think that they are Don Draper because they have a pessimistic view of the world, and feel smarter than everyone around them.

I'll repeat: The show was well made, but the lead character was the worst part of it.
>>
>>69797982
>That Jewish guy
RIP Ginsberg. Hope the ayyys found him in the end
>>
>>69797815
What is there to argue about?

You say you don't like the characters or the plot? Well ok.

You're clearly young, try watching it again when you're older and you might connect with it better.
>>
File: OldManGroup.jpg (47 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
OldManGroup.jpg
47 KB, 650x427
>>69797958
>Shitpost about irrelevant things
>Still no argument
>Pic Related

>>69797982
This. Every second this guy was on screen, I felt like this was Weiners dream. Being a rich Chad who is a sad sap. The fucker did not develop at all. If you watch episode one and the last one, you wouldn't be able to notice the difference.

I am not a big fan of the entire characters, because they didn't seem interesting to me
personally. They had some good moments, but they were eons ahead of Drapers development. The only thing that Draper had going was his past, and they zoomed through that shit fast.
>>
File: 1463550178759.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1463550178759.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>69798146
>Insulting because can't bring up an argument

Are you underage? Because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean you can't argue or discuss with them dipshit. You shitpost because you have nothing to say. OP is not here saying LOL XD THE SHOW SUCKESD YOU GUYS RONG PROVE ME WRONG YOU CANT TIP AHAHA. But you and the other shitposters are doing just that, except to the OP.

I can be 55 years old and see the massive flaws about this show. It is far from being a "great" show.
>>
>>69795221

Mad Men isn't supposed to be watched like your serial capeshit. Every episode has a theme and the characters and cinematography are there to advance said theme. The fact that there's a feeling of moving forward in the story is just a happy by product of the season-wide themes.

Not even being pretentious: every episode is a visual essay. If you're watching it waiting for an epic twist or some faggy monologue where someone gets btfo, then it isn't for you.
>>
>>69795221
>Dragon Ball Z
I actually stopped there. There's no way anything good would come out of your post when that's your reference. Give it a few more years.
>>
I agree for the most part. I didn't hate the show, but I didn't bother finishing it either. I clearly remember feeling that watching every episode of a season was a slog because the only advancement and development were crammed into the finales.
>>
>>69798404
Expound on your visual essay theory.
>>
It's more realistic, not a neat "entire-account-closed-in-one-episode" kind of shit
>>
>>69797958
Mad Men had the GOAT dance-numbers...

the best things in life are freeeee......
>>
>>69798625
You're confusing mad men with the sopranos
>>
>>69798073
he didn't die, just cut off a nip and was taken away
>>
The episode where Roger Sterling talks about going through doorways in life might have something to say about character development and what-not. It's realistic, honestly.
>>
>>69798342

It's not my fault you are stupid so don't get mad at me.

All the criticisms in the OP can be applied to any other great show ever made. Does Tony Soprano change? Saying a show is shit because there is not enough plot or character development is first film school essay stuff.

In the end what your criticisms boil down to is that there is not enough violence or swearing in MM to keep you entertained.
>>
>>69798404
>>69798625
I get it. I know what they are doing, but they suck at it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what is going on and how people are being presented. But it is a piss poor method of doing so. Again, specifically the issues all start with Don. If the last episode olayed right after 1, most people wouldn't see a difference in his development.

I go and look at American Psycho and Lebowski for example. Those are movies that did what they wanted to do here well, so well. This show couldn't do it well. They tossed shit and hoped it would stick, ending up in sooo many filler episodes.

>>69798438
>I got to shitpost instead of discuss like adults. Oh I will call you underage too! That will teach you.

>>69798761
>Hmm. I don't need to discuss, I will shitpost more!

Where did I say I wanted action or violence. Or where I called this show shit. Learn to read. And please stop shitposting, the Soprano analogy you tried failed horribly.
>>
File: 1459538881488.jpg (63 KB, 550x383) Image search: [Google]
1459538881488.jpg
63 KB, 550x383
>>69795221
THis is what the mad men fanbase says:
>Don is a forty year old baby in a tailored suit, how dare you say that he is not a deep character that makes me feel?
>>
>>69798342
>I can be 55 years old and see the massive flaws about this show.

Okay, but how old are you?
>>
>>69798857
American Psycho and Big Lebowski? Great movies, sure, but what on earth do they have to do with Mad Men?
>>
>>69795221
Agreed. Glad someone said it.

Today OP was not a faggot
>>
I agree OP, there is too much words on Mad Man that are really hard to understnad. too many words are not fun. don draper is "mad" but he doesn't do anything crazy?? why. I hate the show because it makes my head hurt
>>
File: o-MAD-MEN-DON-570.jpg (58 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
o-MAD-MEN-DON-570.jpg
58 KB, 570x380
I get what you're saying. There were a lot of plot and character arches that were hyped up or had a lot of potential, then suddenly dropped off or dissipated.

Like Sal for instance. He just gets fired by the son of the owner of Lucky Strikes. The whole thing seemed forced. Was really disappointing.

There was a lot of filler, but the characters and themes were great. It really hit a nail in terms of American literature, consumerism, and nostalgia.

It's like the Vaporwave of television.
>>
>>69798891

It's exactly Don that is an interesting character, it's the contrasts between Don and the other characters. How Don influences others.

I personally found Pete and Roger to be more interesting characters, but Don symbolizes an essence of Americana.
>>
File: jaialai.jpg (17 KB, 630x443) Image search: [Google]
jaialai.jpg
17 KB, 630x443
lel I'm lost what's jai alai mean this show is too deep let's just watch that show about zombies where the same shit keeps happening over and over again
>>
File: madmen2.jpg (42 KB, 517x307) Image search: [Google]
madmen2.jpg
42 KB, 517x307
You literally understood nothing about the show.
The story and themes are a lot more subtle than that.
Obviously you DO prefer action or at least actively oriented dramas, even if they are forced and mishandled like breaking bad.
Mad Men isn't really supposed to answer any ultra dramatic questions like "OMG DO THEY CHARM THE MEME CLIENT AND GET THE ACCOUNT AT THE END OF THE SEASON", it's all about the dialogue and the characters. There IS a good amount of character progression and character arcs, you just don't see it.

Fucking pleb.
>>
File: ken and pete 1.png (1 MB, 1164x703) Image search: [Google]
ken and pete 1.png
1 MB, 1164x703
>>69797592
>>69795221
I'm going to get shit from any /lit/izens for saying this, but Mad Men is the television equivalent of literature. It is NOT for everyone, so don't feel bad. Not every Joe Shmo reads Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest for fun, right?

But that fine, its not for you. But to say Mad Men is boring or a waste of time when you didn't put the time and effort to fully capture the essence of the show, well then I think that's very unintellectual and unfair.

Mad Men, in its purest form, is a character study of middle to upper class America in the 1960s, arguably one of the most intersting and volatile decades in recent history. Again, if you're watching for plot, don't watch it. But if you want to learn about American culture like what the American Dream means or the pursuit of happiness, then take a shot at it again.
>>
>>69801089
>There was a lot of filler
literally every scene has meaning
>>
>>69795221
pleb
>>
Fuckn plebs looking for meaning in mashed potatoes.
>>
File: waitwat.gif (427 KB, 200x198) Image search: [Google]
waitwat.gif
427 KB, 200x198
>>69795221
>The acting is meh.

absolute pleb opinion
>>
Somebody should do a full adaptation of the unabridged Count of Mone Christo. It's pretty long, got plenty of decent characters, and has some dramatic action so you can have some cliffhangers every now and again, But most importantly the characters actually develop significantly, and conversations between characters actually cause noticeable changes.
>>
>>69795221
So...why exactly did you watch all the seasons?
>>
my favourite thing about mad men was the meandering nature of the plot (if you can even use the word plot). i never knew where the fuck it was going and each episode felt like a short story or something. it all fitted together as a larger narrative, but it had all the weird bends and eddies that life does. i love how previously important people would disappear, incidental new people would slowly turn into main characters, people drifting in and out of each others lives
>>
File: 1463510308546.jpg (43 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
1463510308546.jpg
43 KB, 355x355
>>69795221
>>
File: 1463525039834.png (393 KB, 473x432) Image search: [Google]
1463525039834.png
393 KB, 473x432
>>69798722

agreed

>>69795221

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13mHndt7db0
>>
File: 1449861203079.jpg (7 KB, 199x242) Image search: [Google]
1449861203079.jpg
7 KB, 199x242
>>69795221
>overhyped waste of time
>Dragon Ball Z
>The acting is meh
>I read up, saw explanations
>this shit was so predictable
>>
>>69797815

Go to bed, Molyneux
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.