[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people are comparing this masterpiece with 'The Babadook'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
>people are comparing this masterpiece with 'The Babadook' and 'It follows'
Why are all horror fans such plebs?
The VVitch thread, I guess.
>>
Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. Also, genuinely creepy at parts which is more than I can say for any other horror film in the past decade.
>>
Because it's a fucking pleb genre where the scariest movies are also usually the most cheesiest/outlandish ones with unnatural antogonists. It's comparable to Child's Play too, get butt hurt faggot.
>>
garbage, boring, pretentious without being "interesting in any way", ending that only 15-year-olds would find good.

i miss anything? main actress was cute.
>>
File: 1462577249802.jpg (532 KB, 795x3312) Image search: [Google]
1462577249802.jpg
532 KB, 795x3312
>>69794567
>all this bad shit happening to the family
made me sad by the end of it all.
>>
>>69794760
Name a genre that isn't filled mostly with lowest common denominator trash.
>>
>>69794567
The Babadook, It Follows and The Witch are about all the same level quality of filmmaking. They're you're average indie horror, sure they're good, but can we stop pretending The Witch was a masterpiece please? Has the state of cinema become so bad that when a good movie comes out it seems brilliant by contrast to the constant stream of shit being pumped?
>>
>>69794567
I'm not comparing them but I liked all 3.

>>69794876
Okay, tell us what horror movie you like.
>>
>>69794905
>sure they're good, but can we stop pretending The Witch was a masterpiece please?
Name the best horror movie ever made. Name a masterpiece of the genre.
>>
>>69794567
>notice me guys, I love movies when everyone else hate them
kill yourself
>>
>>69794567

I enjoyed this movie a lot and asked the people coming out of the theater what they thought and almost all of them said it was weird but creepy.

I loved it and the way it really got under my skin.

Then that ending with Black Phillip.
>>
>>69794944
The Exorcist.
>>
>>69794944
Psycho
>>
>>69794944
A Nightmare on Elm St.
>>
>>69794905
>Has the state of cinema become so bad that when a good movie comes out it seems brilliant by contrast to the constant stream of shit being pumped?

Here's the thing - this applied to It Follows and The Babadook; both were horror films that were competently made, well-acted (fuck that kid though) and interesting, on the level of a usual good film. By contrast with the rest of horror filmmaking, they stood out by not being two hours of tedious jumpscares. Even though they failed sometimes (that kid again), they were still something more than most films of their type.

The Witch is on a different level. Compared to the two films above it excels, and compared to regular horror dreck (Insidious, The Conjuring) it's Citizen Kane. The film is legitimately excellent and it's a damn shame that A24 tricked people into thinking they were going to see a spooky slasher flick.
>>
>>69794961
>The Exorcist
Has two good scenes and a lot of filler. At no point was anything ever scary. You ask what people remember about it and it's that she said "Your mother sucks dicks in hell" and when she fucks herself with the crucifix. Oh and vomiting split pea soup. You really set a low bar here, anon. I figured you'd at least try and go above the pleb threshold and say something like Suspiria.
>>
I don't really understand this movie.

So some witch was chilling in this woods and fucked up this family pretty good, and at the end, the girl left with nothing decides to join them?

Okay. Only two parts scared me. One was the jump scare with the goat, and the other was the end, but that was just because it was weird, and the witches were screaming in my freaking headset.

It's not "Stay up at night" scary, and it didn't seem particularly deep, or complex. Yeah a lot of time was put into the characters and the setting, but it's forgettable. Why the big deal? What am I missing that makes this movie so good?
>>
>>69795002
80s throwaway schlock that relies on jump scares and potty mouth instead of actual suspense.
>>
>>69794961
>>69794964
>>69795002
LOL

None of these films are anywhere near the quality of The Witch.
>>
>>69795095
>>69795051
What's the last movie you saw that relied on jump scares and "potty mouth" to creep you out?
>>
>>69794944

the shining and it isn't even close
>>
>>69794927
Under the skin count? Cloverfield Ln?
i watched those recently and liked em a lot.
>>
>>69795073
You completely missed all the subtext about religion and family.
>>
>>69795121
>What's the last movie you saw that relied on jump scares and "potty mouth" to creep you out?
Girlfriend made me sit through that heap of garbage "The Forest."
>>
>>69794958
>and asked the people coming out of the theater what they thought
wut?
>>
>>69795133
>The Shining
All the reasons The Shining was a good horror movie apply to The Witch; cinematography, the corruption of the family dynamic, sense of eeriness, etc.
>>
>>69795180

I wanted The Forest to be SO good but I knew in my heart that they would fuck it up.

The IRL Forest is creepy as fuck.
>>
>>69795142
What do you mean? Yeah sin's present, okay. The religious themes are all basic as fuck that anyone who's never picked up a Bible will get.

I don't even understand your point about family, because they're clearly extremely dysfunctional. A dad who is a coward, a mom who is a bigot, a son who is attracted to his sister, a daughter who is rebellious, and two snot nose kids who don't give a single fuck about anything. What is that supposed to represent? People who hate each other?
>>
>>69795214
He harassed moviegoers as they were leaving the theater.
>>
>>69795136
What's Cloverfield Ln?
>>
>>69795214

My grillfriend and I were walking out of the room showing the movie and asked some other couples what they thought of the movie.

I know, talking to other people and asking for their opinions on things is weird huh?
>>
>>69795246
Dense forests are always creepy, regardless of whether some nips like to dance at the end of a rope in them. The sense of being immersed in primeval nature, away from the human herd, it calls to something very deep in our psyche that makes us afraid.
>>
>>69795073
Not to sound edgy, but there hasn't been a movie that depicts evil and satanism with such seriousness and craftness since The Exorcist. Its straight up a real fucking witch doing real fucking witchcraft and thats terrifying.
>>
>>69795241

good then i'll probably like it

and to all those in the thread who think slashers are more uncanny or frightening than psychological horrors... just fucking lol.
>>
>>69795328

I love that feeling.
>>
>>69795340
>im scared of this and if you're not ur a fgt
Kill yourself
>>
>>69795277
They're not supposed to respresent anything. The film simply taps into the old fairytale archetype and does so with as much scholarship and authenticity as the greatest period dramas ever made.

Either that works for you or it doesn't, but as a piece of filmmaking The Witch could easily have been the work of Kubrick.
>>
>>69795060
Suspiria is great, but in no way a masterpiece. It was really good at setting a surrealistic, dreamlike mood and churning out gore, and the cinematography was good, but the story, characters and acting are all subpar. The Exorcist has a great story, great cinematography(without relying on the dreamlike crutch where you barely have to justify having blue and red lights everywhere. In fact the very naturalistic, almost documentary like style of Friedkin is way more effective), great performances with actors portraying interesting characters with arcs. Both have great soundtracks, but The Exorcist was way more memorable, I'm sure most people could hum the theme from memory.
>>
>>69795277
If all you're going to offer is reduction of everything to 'oh it just means that, so what?' then it's pointless trying to debate with you. The fact is it presented these people's worst fears, succumbing to sin and being punished for it, how they as a family gave so much of themselves to God that they had very little for one another and were easily torn apart and set upon eachother.
>>
>>69795136
Cloverfield Lane was typical hollywood shlock. There were 5 good minutes in that whole movie, starting when John Goodman shoots the guy in the face. It was generic in every aspect, I don't get what everybody was raving about (I really wanted to like it, too, because I knew the director from a podcast he did years ago). The script was terrible, and the direction was very bland. Everything felt half baked and forced, it played out more like a point-and-click adventure game from the 90s than a movie.
>>
>>69795111
Good to know you're underage.
>>
File: you.jpg.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>69794567

>80 minutes of inapprehensible olde english
>artsy shots of some generic farm
>no tension whatsoever
>retarded ass ending
>instant horror classic
>>
>>69795285
>>69795311
i can understand striking up a conversation with with someone as you're walking out. any more than 1 and you had to have done some autistic shit.
>my grillfriend
what theater allows body pillows
>>
>>69795414
The story behind the Exorcist's production is more eerie than anything in the film. The film itself does not hold up, go back and watch it now and you'll find that it has one great shot (the priest in the fog) and then one great performance (Linda Blair), but other than that it's boring and could easily be shuffled among the other horror staples of the 70s like Rosemary's Baby.
>>
>>69795462
I've seen every one of them. Nightmare on Elm Street is laughably shit, The Exorcist is good but nowhere close to The Witch, and Psycho is competent schlock that gets high praise because people can't stop sucking Hitchcock's dick for being mediocre.
>>
File: 1463703568540.jpg (52 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1463703568540.jpg
52 KB, 550x550
VVitch sucks.

If you want to watch a horror movie that recently came out that was really really great ,but underrated watch The Boy. It's a very smart horror movie and stars that hot girl from The Walking Dead.
>>
>>69795474
>no tension whatsoever
Confirmed for never having seen the movie. Go back to your capeshit, plebberino.
>>
>>69795397

>i think a guy with a spooky mask killing tons of people and jumpscares are not only frightening but also intellectually compelling
>hehe shitlord kill yourself for being distirbed by the shining

lol
>>
>>69795545
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>69795560

disturbed, u is next to i and im on my phone
>>
>>69794876
>i miss anything?
taste
>>
>>69795436
They didn't give anything up to God. They were puritans, who believed in family and righteousness. It just looks like they're hardcore Christians because of how much society has changed in the last 400 or so years. The father gave into pride, and sacrificed community and protection due to disagreements. They're then placed in a position where there's nothing they can do to save themselves. They don't die because they're torn apart, they're torn apart because they die, which is vanilla as fuck. You can see the family getting along for a little while until Caleb comes back, which sends everything into turmoil.

>>69795405
Kubrick didn't really make these type of movies though. This movie is shallow. A lot of effort was put into it, to make it look authentic, but at the end of the day it's just a shallow story about a witch who fucks over a family.
>>
File: 1458315385295.jpg (51 KB, 607x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458315385295.jpg
51 KB, 607x1080
>>69795549

>Go back to your capeshit, plebberino.

I feel so inferior now because of just the pure quality of this post. Truly a scholar response.
>>
>>69795510
Max Von Sydow and Jason Miller were really good too. And I think considering the time it was made, it's one of the movies that best stood the test of time, the effects still look great today.
>>
>>69794567
Just post the ass then leave you redditors.
>>
>>69795636
You're just determined not to like the film or to see its subtext beyond the superficial, that's fine. You don't like it, but you're wrong and you missed its themes completely.

He was exiled for "prideful conceit" because he thought himself more holy than the other Puritans, he set himself as an almost christ-like figure. Go to the scene where he's saying grace, look at how the light hits his long hair and his hands are outstretched, he's basically mimicking the Last Supper. Yet, for all his pride, he knows nothing about the sinful world he has cast himself and his family in, all he can really do well is chop wood, so he chops a mountain of wood and it becomes the symbol of his pride made manifest. Which makes for fantastic imagery when it's ultimately where he dies, buried beneath it. I could go on and deconstruct like this for every one of the characters, but it's pointless because I can read your reply already 'so what? It's not that impressive.'
>>
Why the VV?
Is it pronounced "The Vih-vih-tch" or Latin style like "The Oo-way-itch"?
>>
>>69795636
>They don't die because they're torn apart, they're torn apart because they die
It's almost like it's a horror movie about a fairy tale monster or something. There's nothing shallow about that. It was the most powerful storytelling archetype for horror for most all of human history.

I bet you think utter tripe like Michael Haneke is deep.
>>
>>69795896
It's two 'u's, or a double-u. Add another and it'd be four u.
>>
>>69794567
Can you stop shilling this boring ass movie
>>
>>69796067
Tell me a better movie that's come out this year.
>>
What was the signification of the apple?
>>
>>69796445
The Garden of Eden, fruit of the tree of knowledge, the forbidden fruit, etc.
>>
I know I've posted a witch survey before, but now since some people are claiming there's a connection between fans of it and those of it follows/the babadook, I want to examine what kind of correlations might exist.

Does anyone have any other connections they'd like me to explore in the next survey? It could be anything from favorite ice cream, to height, to whether you've ever gone skydiving.
>>
>>69796542
What exactly are you trying to learn? What is your thesis statement?
>>
>>69794961
>>69794964
>>69795002
>>69795133
>Exorcist and Psycho are literal "someone at work told me this is the scariest movie ever" tier
>nightmare on elm street is super fun but mostly camp
>Shining is getting close, with the family drama and abuse in the background of the ghost shit, but still over-rated as shit

my stand-out masterpiece is The Thing, which none of the plebs in this thread apparently remember
>>
>>69796592
Well, it's been postulated by a bunch of anons here that people who liked the witch also liked it follows and the babadook. I'm seeking to disprove that, so my thesis statement would be:

High favorability for The Witch has no relation to favorability levels for It Follows or The Babadook.
>>
File: 1458806545065.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1458806545065.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
who here /livingdeliciously/
>>
>>69796706
Enjoying the taste of butter right now, senpai.
>>
>>69796703
Does liking all of those films indicate something else? Like, are you saying that it's okay to like 'The Witch' or to like 'The Babadook', but if you like both of them and 'It Follows' then suddenly you're a pleb?
>>
>>69796895
A lot of people here are saying they're all pleb. I myself haven't seen the babadook, but I draw a large distinction between it follows and the witch; I think the witch is a very impressive piece of art whereas it follows is just a movie to watch: not terrible, but not memorable in any way either.
>>
>>69797089
I liked it follows more, had much better directing, score, and premise. It also had very interesting themes of sexuality
>>
>>69794567
overrated trash and anyone who calls it a masterpiece is a pretentious hipster fucking cunt.
>>
>>69794944
unironically

pop skull
>>
>>69797185
You're the only cunt here m8
>>
>>69794944
The Masque of Red Death
>>
> it's not scary

Kys fags
>>
>>69797458
If you're going to mention a Poe snorefest atleast say The Pit and the Pendulum.
>>
>>69797507
>it's not jump scare trash
Literally kill yourself, pleb
>>
They get compared because they are not blumhouse or asylum trash, struggled to get into theaters, and had a bad reaction from morons that treat horror media like a culture because they are ashamed they used to be juggalos.

Going full bore with Satanism at the end rather than making it symbolic college tier screenplay trash was genius and satisfying.
>>
Here we go. Just 5 quick questions. Le reddit boogeyman will finally be exposed wants in for all.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1t9cxzrjAE8uTTYCpko_BugNhGeGv9OWlDLZJN3TF2IA/viewform

pic unrelated
>>
>>69797538
> doesn't understand green text is quoting people you don't agree with

To reddit with you
>>
just watched!!! insta classic!!! but, why the devil wears like a pirate?
>>
who here hates meaning fags?
they always try to interpret deeper meanings into films that are very straigthforward only because they have greats shots and dense atmosphere.
>>
>>69797871
He has style
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.