[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I want an odd mystery movie where shit takes place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: comfymountainsmalltown.jpg (40 KB, 502x377) Image search: [Google]
comfymountainsmalltown.jpg
40 KB, 502x377
Hey guys, I want an odd mystery movie where shit takes place in a small town with lots of nature. Mountains, woods etc. Things happen out in woods at night, theres a lot of nature, blabla. Mystery, horror, something good.

Got anything you think could fit this poorly described bill?
>>
Twin Peaks is the most obvious
>>
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
>>
Fargo, at least with the snowy small-town vibe
For tv shows, obviously Twin Peaks and early X-Files
Really if you want this atmosphere your best bet is a book, the 'rural New England town where weird shit goes down' is a classic trope in horror writing
>>
>>69790246
>>69790200
>>69790178
Seen it all, I'm afraid. I've also read plenty of Stephen King and Lovecraft. Atm I'd like some movie, not a tv-show.
>>
>>69790162
Fuck snowy small towns are comfy.

Wish I could live in one, have a nice job that pays the bills, a qt redhead virgin at the local theater that gets me in for free/makes out with me every now and again, a small but close friendbase with a couple that like discussing film as much as I do...

Great now I'm sad.
>>
http://youtu.be/WjmhuYgZrow
>>
>>69790462
Aashaha, that film was great. Loved it. Not quite what I had in mind now, though. And, yknow, Ive seen it.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 183x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 183x183
>>69790410
DELETE THIS
>>
>>69790410
Sorry, anon. Didn't mean to make you sad. I do live in a small town thats cold, dark and snowy half the year. It does get old, but it can be pretty comfy.
>>
Closest thing I can think of is Cronenberg's The Dead Zone. It has a Twin Peaks vibe to it.

Also, if you like H.P. Lovecraft's work, I'd recommend watching Die Farbe (based on The Colour Out of Space) and the adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness, by the HPLHS. They are both indie films, but pretty good.
>>
Ravenous.
>>
The Hateful Eight
Coraline
Some episodes of Poirot series
>>
File: Resolution-2012-movie-poster.jpg (100 KB, 554x806) Image search: [Google]
Resolution-2012-movie-poster.jpg
100 KB, 554x806
>>69790162
don't read up on anything about it.
JUST. Watch It.
>>
>>69791029
Cool shit man.

Also yeah Hateful Eight is peak comfy. Not quite what you're looking for but it does the job.
>>
File: 1457062671032.gif (648 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1457062671032.gif
648 KB, 640x400
>>69790162
The VVitch
>>
>>69791029
Fellow snowy small town resident here, although in Northern Scandinavia

"It does get old, but it can be pretty comfy" literally encapsulates the life
>>
>>69793509
ah, southern scandinavia here. you have it worse off than me, maybe? Or are you where the midnight is at?
>>
>>69793638
midnight sun* kek

also, thanks for the recommendations, please keep them coming.
>>
>>69790410
Aside from your weird cutie redhead requirement, why the fuck don't you work towards making it happen? It's not some impossible goal. Quit shitposting on tv and work towards your dream.
>>
>>69793864
I'm aware that it's not at all unreasonable. It's just a small dream I like to play to myself just for shits and giggles.

Maybe I should start working towards it more. Just to give me something to do.
>>
>>69793509
>"It does get old, but it can be pretty comfy" literally encapsulates the life
Time to start looking for small houses in Scandinavia
>>
File: growthofthesoil.jpg (37 KB, 200x320) Image search: [Google]
growthofthesoil.jpg
37 KB, 200x320
>>69794114
>>69794034
Id suggest Sweden and Finland(not in scandinavia, I know), but in Norway now there are insanely high prices for property and homes these days. On the subject, why dont I recommend some norwegian films that sort of fit this bill. There are a few nothing happens horror movies and such from here.

Red Snow(Dod Sno) 1, 2 (zombie comedies, lots of snow and mountains etc)

Villmark 1 and 2(dark woods, cabin in the woods, spoopy stuff in the dark woods)

Fritt Vilt 1, 2 (spoopy slashery stuff in the snowy mountains)

Ulvesommer (means like Summer of Wolves) - lots of innawoods, about a sporty loli who saves wolf cubs from an evil hunter fella.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356154/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Flukt - about a chick who escapes from baddies with a lil girl in olden times norway.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076850/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm

Honorable mentions: Ofelas(Pathfinder) and the sweidsh Populär Musik Från Vittula (popular music from Vittula) and the movies of Hans Petter Moland starring Stellan Skarsgård.

No ones gonna watch these but I'm bored so whatever.
>>
>>69790162
"Phantoms" kind of fits this vibe.

"Misery," too, although most of the movie takes place indoors.
>>
The Edge is a great movie. More of a wilderness survival one, though. Has some great shots of northern american nature, with most of the movie taking place in the woods. Not too spoopy, more thrilling.
>>
>>69793638
Where are you at?

Not really midnight sun, but it's 4 here atm and the sun has been up for an hour

>>69795046
Northern Sweden here and I've got to say it's comfy as fuck here even though the country is going to shit
>>
>>69797219
last part to >>69794114
sorry
>>
>>69795685
I agree with Phantoms. Seen that film way too many times than it's worth. Fucking top comfy 90s
>>
>>69797219
Telemark. Its south-east. Buttloads forests. Literally just forest, more or less. All draped in snow and darkness, if the climate allows it.
>>
>>69797357
Nice, I'm up by Luleå

Although quite a bit outside of the city, in a small village out in the woods

Also draped in snow and darkness
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 532x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 532x755
>>
>>69794034
Don't play it out anymore, do it.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.