[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is GoT good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: asdasdasd.jpg (324 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
asdasdasd.jpg
324 KB, 2000x1000
Shitposting aside, how does GoT compare to the GOOD shows up there, like the sopranos, the wire, mad men etcetera.
Is it so fucking amazing or is it a pretty good fantasy show but with an inflated perceived quality due to its retardedly broad fanbase?
I've yet to hear a GoT fan actually tell me why it's so good.
I'm in need of a new show so I was thinking about checking it out
>>
>>69779245
It's good, don't be a fag and let others decide your opinions for you.

Some seasons go up and down but overall very enjoyable. You probably know all the major plot points so nothing will surprise you and you'll say it's shit however.
>>
>>69780919
actually I only knew that that one guy died but since he came back from the dead, good one m night it doesnt really matter. I never really cared for it.
You didnt tell me, how is it compared to those big guys?
>>
>>69779245
>the sopranos, the wire, mad men

It's not up there at all. It's not even up there with second tier dramas like Oz or The Shield. It's still pretty entertaining, but it's just kind of shallow and pretty trashy at times. It just hides the trash behind its massive budget.
>>
>>69779245
Why do people do this? Check it out for yourself. You're the only one who can decide if the show is "good" according to your standards and taste.

Obviously popular =/= good but enough people watch the show and feverishly love it that it must have something going for it. I personally think that the show is one of the best shows on television currently, possibly ever, but it peaked at season 4. While most anons here think everything post season 4 is trash, that's mostly due to 'muh books' and 'muh women', but season 4 was undeniably the best in terms of quality.
>>
>>69781307
that's what I wanted to know. basically big budget, violence-plot twist-nudity driven story, with lots of fanservice
I'll still check it out so I'll be able to be educated about it with plebs that say it's the best thing ever
>>69781333
I can't just go from not having watched it to having watched it all in the blink of an eye. I started the download before making this thread and it's choking hard.
but WHY is it good? I never get this from fans. It really gives me the same impression Dr Who did
>>
>>69781464
It's just a decent take on midieval politics and war and stuff. It's not great, but it's a pretty solid show that goes into depth about stuff that most other shows dont. (Rape, aftermath of war, etc)>>69781464
>>
Better than spartacus, around Rome~quality but the subplots vary a lot more
>>
>>69782031
It doesn't go in depth in regards to the aftermath of war and rape. The fuck are you watching?
>>
S1-4 are great, highly recommended

5-6 are pretty meh with some bright spots
>>
Season 1 through 3 are consistently excellent. 4 starts off slow-ish but ends on a massive high note.

5 is a weird transitional season where people are being shuffled around a lot. It has some spotty moments, but is still enjoyable and has one of the absolute best episodes in the entire series.

6 has a so-so first episode, but so far is building up to be a good season.
>>
>>69781307
>le ebin GoT is tits and gore meme

well memed my friend :^)
>>
>>69779245
S1 is definitely worth a watch, best alternative universe tv that is out there.
>>
>>69779245
It's fun, do you need more?
>>
>tfw season 2 is my favorite

Joffrey at his cuntiest, King's Landing becoming an even bigger hellhole, the war escalating further, Stannis coming into play, the Ironborn, the ranging beyond the wall, Blackwater, dat finale. I fucking loved it.
>>
It's amazing though how fans even here never say what is actually good about it.
wirefags and sopranosfags can vomit a fucking essay on each season and GoT fans just say "yeah it was really cool, that guy was badass"
>>
>>69782944
Because it's not really hard to understand why, dumbfuck.
>>
>>69782379

please go into further detail
>>
>>69782976
yet nobody ever says it.
and saying, "there's dragons, people kill each other and fantasy shit" is not enough to be a great show.
what I want to know is WHY it's good and if it's great and nobody convinced me. especially not you, sperg
>>
It's like a very good version of the kind of show the Walking Dead and Spartacus attempt to be. It has some artistic value and interesting points to make, but the crowd-pleasing action and tits (and nonsensical "women triumphing over men" moments) and the such always come first. It's limited by its target demographic.

The writing which doesn't draw from the source material is markedly worse than that which does. That's the primary flaw of the show. Otherwise, it's essentially the best possible "almost prestige" type show.
>>
>>69783043
Relatively multi-layered show with complex characters, compelling storylines, excellent production values and acting, even after it starts loosing it's footing.
>>
>>69782944
It's different to what's mostly on TV nowadays, it's got gore and boobs which people like, you can't predict what will happen very well, it's got mostly well written characters who you really love and hate, and a massive budget

It's actual story is almost superfluous to all of the above but it's just war politics at the end of the day with some fantasy thrown in.
>>
>>69783043
Watch it for yourself then, you fucking cunt.
>>
>>69779245
No, it's not great. Don't watch it. Fuck off.
>>
File: mystic shell.jpg (25 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
mystic shell.jpg
25 KB, 499x374
>>69779245
>Is GoT good?
>>
File: lilfinger.jpg (215 KB, 900x1189) Image search: [Google]
lilfinger.jpg
215 KB, 900x1189
Season 1 is legitimately great, in the Breaking Bad thriller-esque way where you can't wait to see what happens next. The characters are magnetic. S1 also happens to follow the books almost exactly.

Season 2 starts deviating in some stupid ways, and from there the show is "bretty good" -- usually fun but a lot of the deeper and more interesting aspects of the characters are lost. (Tyrion is a saint, Robb is stupid instead of just a guy trying to do the honourable thing, Stannis loses his brains, Renly is miscast, Littlefinger has no friends, etc.)

If you watch the show without reading the books, you'll like it fine, but you'll wonder at some stupid moments and developments that seem totally out-of-place. If you read the books before watching the show, you'll be able to follow everything much better, but you'll constantly be wondering what the hell the showrunners are doing when they ignore superiour source material in favour of OC.

It's a mixed bag desu
>>
>>69782143
this nails it
>>
>>69785735
Pretty much this. Season 1 is the only season that actually feels fresh and new and it's own thing. The latter seasons (especially 3 onwards) got so incredibly dreary, murky, mumbly and poorly shot that most scenes are a slog to sit through, when the writing crashed in season 5 as well, there's pretty much only the production values, the actors and the score kepping it upright.

It's pretty remarkable how colorful the first two seasons are, when after they every has this ugly filter over it. Beyond the wall is all grey, Robb, the north and the riverlands are all dark grey and murky, Kings Landing has this red and golden shimmer and dullness over it.

Also the fact that the first book is the only one with actual arcs in it, there are a few in the other books (such as Theon or Jaime), but for the majority of the characters it's just wanking about waiting for things to happen.
>>
>>69785735
>>69788551
I recently rewatched first 4 seasons and its all A+. Seasons 2 and 3 are even better than season 1. The show peaked around s2 finale and through season 3. s4 was still very good and well made, but the fifth was boring.

Also its the only fantasy show with such quality out there and one of the most expensive/grand in production, I dont know why the hell wouldnt you watch it. Its worth for aesthetics alone, but first seasons have genuinely good characters, plot and all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxKzT7AzK1c
>>
4chan will probably think GoT is the best and most "kino" show of all time once it finishes and plebs move on to something else, like they do with Lost. I really fucking hate /tv/.
First four seasons of GoT are one of the best points in TV history crafted with excellence, attention to detail and rich character development in the changing world and you can really perceive it in every episode.
>>
>>69788901
what a fucking great moment
>>
>>69790534
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1zViyQLor4

my favorite scene. when tywin walks in with the tyrells. and then AND WHO ARE YOU part
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.