[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cannes Film Festival 2016 Day 9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
last thread is gone.

>Neon Demon getting ripped by critics.
>Xavier Dolan flopping
>Critics’ Panel Day 9: Cristian Mungiu Teaches Masterclass with “Graduation”
>K Stews Personal Shopper had a second screening and received a 4 minute standing ovation.

Aggregate Polls:
http://cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2016

Apichatpoll: http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016

Le Film Français: http://www.lefilmfrancais.com/tags/3094/etoiles-de-la-critique

German poll: http://jury.critic.de/cannes/

Ion cinema:http://www.ioncinema.com/tag/2016-cannes-critics-panel

Chinese poll:https://twitter.com/CriticsGrid

TF1: https://twitter.com/RomainLeVern

http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
>>
>>69748173
First for based absurd lolita fantasy
>>
Jessica Kiang of the Playlist liked Neon Demon:

>"Spectacular, gross and delicious (so unsavory it’s almost sweet), the film is more proof of Refn’s mastery of his trash aesthetic and more fun than anything this indulgent and empty-headed has any right to be. If he can ever find some meaning to attach all these glorious signifiers to, he might be on to something, but the wilfully surface, nasty camp of “The Neon Demon” will do just fine till that day comes. [B+]"
>>
>Cannes: Xavier Dolan Boasts ‘It’s Only The End Of The World’ Is His Best Film In The Face Of Negative Reviews
>>
Only based Verhoeven can fix this mess
>>
>>69748444
his film sounds so camp
>>
http://www.indiewire.com/article/first-the-neon-demon-reviews-nicolas-winding-refn-elle-fanning-cannes-20160519

>The first few reviews of "The Neon Demon" are in from Cannes and they're...surprisingly positive for a movie that incited boos, walkouts and yelling at the screen. It seems that, as always, reports of such reactions coming from the festival tend not to speak to a movie's overall reception (even if the responses elicited by Nicolas Winding Refn's latest are especially amusing). Indiewire's own Eric Kohn writes that "this grotesque, hyperstylized treatise on the fashion industry recaptures some of the zany images and B-movie abstractions of Refn's crossover effort, 'Drive,' though it never quite gels on the same level of inspiration." Speaking of Bs, he gives it a B-.

>Most enthusiastic for the film is Adam Woodward of Little White Lies, who gives "The Neon Demon" five stars and calls it "an intoxicating fever dream anchored by a transformative lead turn from Elle Fanning." Turning his attention to the film's fashion-world setting, Woodward goes on to note that "Los Angeles – and in Refn’s case Hollywood – subsists on its own mythology, and Refn exposes this by chipping away at the concealer-smothered cracks at the city’s glossy surface."
>>
File: 1401493866921.jpg (17 KB, 435x217) Image search: [Google]
1401493866921.jpg
17 KB, 435x217
>>69748389
>Xavier Dolan Boasts
>>
>>69748506

>He's joined in his praise by Robbie Collins of The Telegraph, suggesting that "The Neon Demon" may do best in England: "When the film reaches its logical end point," Collins writes in another five-star review, "Refn just keeps pushing, and eventually lands on a sequence so jaw-dropping – almost certainly a sly, glossy-magazine refashioning of Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali’s groundbreaking surrealist short 'Un Chien Andalou' – that all you can do is howl or cheer."

>Writing for Variety, newly appointed chief film critic Owen Gleiberman isn't so enthuasiastic, calling "The Neon Demon" "a baroquely kinky gross-out surrealist horror film set in the L.A. fashion world." On the subject of Refn's distinctly garish aesthetics, Gleiberman describes a particularly out-there scene: "There’s a sequence set at a nightclub that features a neon triangle composed of three smaller triangles, and a duplicated image of three Jesses (one of whom kisses herself), and it may inspire two thoughts at once: 'Wow, that’s pretty cool!' and 'WTF is going on?'" Ultimately, he says, "It's not boring, but there's less to it than meets the eyeball."

>"If the supermodel knife fight in Nicolas Winding Refn‘s movie doesn’t do it for you," begins Steve Pond's review for TheWrap, "maybe the necrophilia masturbation scene will." He later writes that "You could say that the director never knows when to stop — but it’s probably more accurate to say that he knows exactly when to stop, but doesn’t give a damn. 'The Neon Demon' is worthy of those boos and that abuse, and you can’t take it seriously for a second. But it’s also ridiculously, gloriously, stupidly entertaining, if you’re in the right mood."
>>
Farhadi will save us
>>
File: Capture.gif (12 KB, 626x176) Image search: [Google]
Capture.gif
12 KB, 626x176
what did they mean by this?
>>
Quick hit reviews:

Park, Handmaiden: seems to want to be de Sade, but neither perverted nor smart enough. C-

Nichols, Loving: workmanlike message movie. C+

Mackenzie, Hell or High Water: from Sicario screenwriter; Jeff Bridges as Tommy Lee Jones; works fine; nothing special. B-

Assayas, Personal Shopper: Kristen Stewart as an irritable celebrity’s personal assistant whose twin brother, with whom she shares a heart defect, has recently died of a heart attack. And oh, he (the dead twin) is haunting this huge Parisian mansion he somehow could afford to buy. And oh, he was, before he died, a “medium”. And oh, Kristen Stewart’s character, she too is a medium! And oh! She’s also being stalked by someone who may have murdered her boss! Lots of unintended laughs and well-deserved boos in the press screening. F

Mendonça Filho, Aquarius: none of the "experimental" style of Neighboring Sounds; pretty generic woman against the corporate structure movie. C

Coulins, Stopover. Boring war-is-hell flic. C-

Mendoza, Ma' Rosa: more or less more of the same from Mendoza. C-

Dardennes, La filles inconnu: thriller drained of all thrills; interesting idea that few, including me, thought worked. C+

Na, The Wailing: 156 minutes of bumbling cops, Korean shamanism v catholicism, those evil Japs, ghosts, zombies; everything's in there but there's nothing to really hang onto. C+
>>
>>69748787
the fuck is this from
>>
>>69748950

A bunch of the playlist/indiewire people post on the criterion forums and some of em are giving quick reviews like that.
>>
>Dolan
>Flopping
Le Monde loved it.
>>
>>69748950

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14190
>>
>>69749038
>Le
>>
>>69748950
A guy who regularly attends Cannes on CriterionForum. I don't know who he writes for, but I don't think his reviews should be reposted here.
>>
>>69749061
Look it up.
>>
so toni erdmann or sierranevada is winning the Palme right

probably the former because Germant
>>
>>69749192
>all those masterpieces from the chinese reviewers

damn
>>
tree of life got booed like crazy and then won the Palm, so who cares. im excited for neon demon
>>
>>69749192
the judging panel don't sound like huge Romanian New Wave fans and Tony Erdmann runs the risk of not being taken seriously because it's a comedy.

It will probably be something more stylish.
>>
>>69749278

>Stylish, you say? I'm your man.
>>
>>69749192
>>69749278
If Toni Erdmann doesn't win, it will be considered an upset.
>>
What's with this Gustavo Beck fellow and giving 0s to movies
>>
>>69749073
Why not? He's already posting them on a public forum.
>>
Jarmusch is getting best director isn't he
>>
>>69749493
I just figure you're going to attract unwarranted negative attention, but whatever.
>>
>implying /film/ will be made when this thread is so dead
>>
>>69750364

the last threads went pretty well -- a lot of people are posting in the "refn is a mess" and "neon demon booed at cannes thread"
>>
>>69748173
>#NeonDemon is so tragically clueless about female desire and vanity that it's almost hilarious (if it weren't so annoying) #Cannes2016
fat selfish hags are spreading. And they only get worse with age

>#NeonDemon: absurd jerk-off lolita fantasy in a slow- motion sparkly neon dress with a side order of 90s music video aesthetics. #Cannes2016
oh wow i totally dont want to see it now. fucking critics
>>
>>69750364
it's 2am in Europe so all the eurotricians are asleep.
>>
Reception to Jarmusch's 'Gimme Danger' is kinda meh compared to his other film at cannes.

http://www.thewrap.com/gimme-danger-cannes-review-jim-jarmusch-delivers-a-playful-tribute-to-iggy-pop/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/jim-jarmuschs-gimme-danger-cannes-895695

http://www.avclub.com/article/romanian-drama-dolan-dud-and-more-jim-jarmusch-day-237030
>>
>>69750502
yup, you don't sound like a permavirgin at all lmao
>>
File: Meiko_Kaji.jpg (229 KB, 964x1219) Image search: [Google]
Meiko_Kaji.jpg
229 KB, 964x1219
>Neon Demon getting ripped
Yeah.. I'm not sure it is. Seems it's a love it or hate it movie, with people who hate it are all complaining about it portraying females wrong.

>>69748173
>Those scores from the Chinese for Handmaiden
Fucking jealous Korea is advancing much faster than them and they are all dying from their shitty air pollution.
>>
>>69750661
handmaiden got shit on by everyone else tho too
>>
>>69750567
yes i want iranian movies about a boy buying apples and little muslim girls, some french cuck dramedy, a homo pedo slow burner, a german film about aging actresses etc. And boo them like a selfish child because one movie isnt pandering to my sensibilities.
>>
>>69750805
Refnfags have a containment thread
>>
>Males rate Neon Demon highly
>Females give it 1's and 2's
Shocker.
>>
>>69750845
yeah it isn't weird at all
>>
who else hyped for new kiarostami movie
>>
Did based Verhoven's film get screened yet?
>>
>>69750845
http://www.todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
only one female critic gave it 1.5. the rest of the bad scores are by men.

can delusional /pol/fags fuck off already? thx xoxo
>>
>>69751058
at least it's doing better than dolan. refnfags would lose their shit otherwise.
>>
>>69749421
He has a small penis
>>
>>69749421
He's an embarassment for my country. Never did a movie and his pseudo-cultural way of thinking is basically diminishing other people's works
>>
>>69751058
People are rating it really high or really low. The scores are so predictable. Politically correct fags are rating it 0's and 1's.
>>
>>69750805
idk man where is my friends house is pretty great
>>
>>69751164
>Never did a movie

um
>>
>>69749421
Almost every movie is a 0. Heh. How is this guy a professional?
>>
>>69748559
I bet on him, his movies are usually really great
>>
File: Taraneh_Alidoosti_-_Istanbul.jpg (3 MB, 2304x3072) Image search: [Google]
Taraneh_Alidoosti_-_Istanbul.jpg
3 MB, 2304x3072
>>69748559
ELLY
L
L
Y
>>
>>69751268
dammit why did they have to overthrow the Shah and become so conservative. Iranians are so fucking cultured and attractive.
>>
>>69751372
islam was a mistake
>>
>>69751372
blame it on the Americans and Brits overthrowing the best functioning democracy in the Middle East at the time and replacing it with a pro-globalist monarchy
>>
>>69751372
>why did the US have to overthrow mossadegh
ftfy
>>
>>69751644
>>69751641
redpill me on this.
>>
>>69750563

Has anyone heard anything about Paterson?
>>
>>69751268
>tfw no qt iranian zoroaster girlfriend who is super pure but makes hot love to worship fire with

just die in my sleep again desu
>>
>>69751780
>mossadegh democratically elected to power in Iran
>"dude I'm going to nationalize our oil lmao"
>britain: "oi yanks help us overthrow this wanker ee's tryna take our oil!"
queue 25 more years of monarchy under which only a religious right was allowed to organize as opposition and then take power
>>
>>69751881
damn.

t. Churchill
>>
>>69751881
>thinking Iran would've been fully secular under Mossadegh
Islamists were always popular with the rural, uneducated plebs, they would've stirred shit up regardless
>>
>>69752107
explain the military coups comprised of uneducated farm boys that put Iraq and Egypt and Syria on track for secular socdem reform
>>
>>69752646
Yeah look how well those reforms turned out for them
>>
>>69752764
arabs != persians desu

Even after being cucked by islam Iranians and Arabs hate each other.
>>
>>69752764
what does that have to do with anything? whether these secular western reforms were good is completely as to whether they would've garnered a rural support base in Iran.
>>
>>69752856
You're retarded if you think Iran before the coup was some perfect secular country
People didn't just hate the Shah because he was authoritarian, a large portion of the country also hated the Westernization or else they wouldn't have elected a theocracy
>>
>>69751372
They're the best muslim country by far
>>
>>69751881
>mossadegh democratically elected to power in Iran

This is what delusional america-haters ACTUALLY believe.

Seriously, all the info is on wikipedia. Educate yourself.
>>
>>69752984
I'm talking about persian civilization in general.
>>
>>69753113
>persian civilization
Died with Yazdegerd III
>>
>>69753273
DELETE THIS
>>
>>69753361
t. Saddam
>>
File: avgratings.png (166 KB, 759x353) Image search: [Google]
avgratings.png
166 KB, 759x353
moving on up?
>>
File: 1463684275012.jpg (89 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1463684275012.jpg
89 KB, 600x750
>>69748173
@gemko 53m53 minutes ago
Didn't hate it, but I will always cherish the closing dedication, “For Liv,” being met with a cry of “Fuck you Liv!”
>>
>>69756281

Classy. Imagine if Refn or one of the other filmmakers/actors said that about someones wife. The outrage.
>>
File: 345634.png (26 KB, 591x628) Image search: [Google]
345634.png
26 KB, 591x628
Not sure what film he's jab
>>
Cannes brings out the worst in critics, they live in a small bubble, the context feeds their ego for a week to delirious levels of vulgarity. It also reveals that most of them are simply awful at their job, they behave like children, any critic's tweeter is usually filled with narcissistic bullshit and objective shit taste. Time is always the best judge of a film's merits. And most of the films shown at Cannes get forgotten a week later. The typical contempt for pop cinema or empty stylists mean nothing. PCW and NWR are the obvious outsiders this year, they're the punks, and they're also the most talented visually. Of fucking course a horror film about cannibalism and lolitas or a throwback to 70's Jap pinku BDSM/lesbian films aren't going to generate a consensus from middle-aged out-of-touch morons trying to impress each other with a false aura of "grown man taste" respectability and gimmicky spiteful reviews for whatever doesn't fit their narrow world views.

The element of surprise is always the jury. Miller is a visual punk as well. You can be certain where his sensibilities belong. But even when you get a guy like him in the jury, the rest of them are usually retarded French actresses or clueless Iranian directors who are only there for political reasons.

People like PWC and NWR get pity "best director" awards but they'll never get it for best films, even though everybody agrees their skills and visions are far ahead of others. Cannes is fucking trash, it's filled with enemies of cinema and literal prostitutes.
>>
>>69756641

nice pasta
>>
>>69748173
Is there a movie isn't been shit on this year?
>>
>The lesbian thriller from Park Chan-wook has sold to 175 territories, beating out 'Snowpiercer' to become the most widely distributed Korean film in history.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-competition-entry-handmaiden-best-895683
>>
>>69756748
The Nice Guys
>>
refn will win the leaf
>>
>>69748173
>Neon Deom getting ripped by critics

Is 3rd on http://cannes-rurban.rhcloud.com/2016 with 7.64
>>
>>69759548
It hasn't been updated in a while.

Funny thing, the Germans really like it.

http://jury.critic.de/cannes/
>>
>>69757793
Hollywood Reporter critic was "triggered"
>>
>>69759548

Yeah, my bad. I shouldn't have used the phrase "ripped by critics" prob something like 'shocked them' oh well
>>
>>69759548
I don't really know any of the Germans besides Lukas Foerster, but on that poll, I guarantee Daniel Kasman, Blake Williams and Alexandra Zawia are all going to shit on it.

>>69759630
Literally all but 3 of those are letterboxd ratings and it hasn't updated in a day.

Don't think for one second it is going to be anything but trashed across the board. The fact that it even has positive ratings on the Apichat (and still averages out to a 4) is a surprise already.
>>
>>69759780
>and still averages out to a 4
That's because people who dislike it gave it really low scores.
>>
Even with all those annoying Refn fanboys these threads are islands in the ocean of shit.
>>
Today has the Sean Penn film, Schrader, Farhadi and The Long Night of Francisco Sanctis. Trailer looks interesting and Spanish advance press is positive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9QWPpplNCk
>>
>>69760757
can't wait for the Sean Penn film to get torn to pieces. tedious actor-turned-"director" films recently even by likeable figures got obliterated, so I can't imagine how destroyed Penn is going to get unless he pulls a masterpiece out of his ass
>>
reddit thread, reported
>>
I think Refn knew how was going to be received his movie since the beginning why he sent it to competition?
>>
>>69762979
bribri has not grown as qt and jojo desu. gross big nose
>>
>>69761110
knowing nothing but a sentence-long plot synopsis and that Charlize Theron has been cast, I can guarantee it wont be a masterpiece.
>>
>>69761110
Hey, he made The Indian Runner. He can do it again.
Don't count on it though.
>>
>>69749038
How is Le Monde relevant? A leftist journalist goes to Cannes and watches a film made by a faggot about another faggot who got AIDS and must tell his family before he dies, of course he's going to love it.
>>
>>69762413
That's what he's been seeking since OGF. He realized that he liked the boos more than the applauses.
>>
Livestream here lads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MssJDH-mMsk

>this music

10:30AM Photocall The Neon Demon - Nicolas Winding Refn
10:45AM Interview The Neon Demon
11:00AM Press Conference The Neon Demon
>>
>>69761110
>mfw a lot of critics didn't even bother getting up to see The Last Face

It's the end of the festival everyone is tired and honestly a Sean Penn movie isn't the most exciting thing to see at 8 am.
>>
File: 1399106028875.png (14 KB, 191x234) Image search: [Google]
1399106028875.png
14 KB, 191x234
>that dress
>>
>refn acting like a complete autist again
>>
>>69764602
litterally just fanning posing infront of 50 photographers
>>
File: 1434577007360.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1434577007360.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>69765504
Well yeah, it's a fucking photocall. Should be obvious that they care about the women a lot more.
>>
INTERVIEW TIME LADS!
>>
Penn getting trashed hard.
I'm sure there was a better american movie for the competition but hey Fremaux and Lescure love a glamourous red carpet
>>
>>69764602
elle fanning confirmed huge crush on ryan gosling
>>
>>69764602
"I am not a beautiful person, I was not born beautiful but I like to fantasize about being beautiful"

I know that Refn, I sure do.
>>
>if we do it i'm gonna have to go through you
You just know!
>>
>improvising all the dialogue
>>
>huffington post
>>
Robbie Collin @robbiereviews
Dog Eat Dog (Schrader): giffable gallows slapstick. Raucous & little bit hit-and-miss, but with some indelibly horrible moments #Cannes2016

Peter Bradshaw @PeterBradshaw1
Paul Schrader's Dog Eat Dog is lairy, nasty, chaotic and his best work for years. Willem Dafoe is great #Cannes2016 #Cannes

Blake Williams @Astrostic
Dog Eat Dog (5.7): The history of American crime film eats and regurgitates itself. "My 1 rule was 'never be boring'." - Schrader. Success.

David Jenkins @daveyjenkins
Dog Eat Dog (Schrader) Self-lacerating nineties indie redux. This emojii as a movie: (in a good way) #Cannes16

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
DOG EAT DOG (Schrader): Feverish sendup of 90s low-rent crime films. Almost shamefully entertaining. A quintessential [B] movie. #Cannes2016
>>
17. "THE NEON DEMON" (Nicholas Anders Refn) [5.62/40 2.5]

At least one won't have to put up with "Refn best reviews of the fest" comments anymore. Still above the Dolan
>>
>>69766399
>Dog Eat Dog (5.7)

What kind of rating is this ?
I understand is it's the average of several critics but one guy doing it seems so stupid.
Anyway I'm hype for Schrader
>>
>>69766455
He rates movies he sees on a 100 point scale. It's easy to rank them if you do that.
>>
File: Ci4WSu8VEAAEx-3.jpg-large.jpg (147 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
Ci4WSu8VEAAEx-3.jpg-large.jpg
147 KB, 1024x1365
This is a picture of Dolan's party yesterday. Kinda sad no one showed up
>>
The Penn trashing isn't even really noteworthy because I don't think a single person in the world is invested in him as a filmmaker, but here's a few tidbits:

Justin Chang @JustinCChang
THE LAST FACE (Sean Penn): That Xavier Dolan movie doesn't look so bad now, does it? #Cannes2016

Mike D'Angelo @gemko
The Last Face (Penn): 10. Bring back Hazanavicius.
>>
>>69766560
Is this serious/real? I don't much care for the guy but always saddening to see quite how fickle the movie industry is.
>>
>>69750934
the first screening will be tomorrow

>>69751794
It got good reviews, currently the 3rd highest rating on apichatpoll
>>
File: penn.jpg (33 KB, 415x209) Image search: [Google]
penn.jpg
33 KB, 415x209
>>69766567
JUST
>>
File: 1458095185036.jpg (28 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
1458095185036.jpg
28 KB, 327x316
>if you work with women you get better results
>this whole story about the kissing scene
>>
>>69766765
If you work exclusively with one gender you get worse results than if you worked with both, sounds right to me.
>>
File: Ci400aGUgAA3nT0.jpg large.jpg (115 KB, 620x497) Image search: [Google]
Ci400aGUgAA3nT0.jpg large.jpg
115 KB, 620x497
rofl. the french critics alternately revile/adore the neon demon
>>
>>69766787
I wasn't questioning it at all, it's just the way he said it and the context that made me laugh.
>>
Is absolutely everything getting shit on or what?
>>
File: 1454301354257.jpg (16 KB, 275x279) Image search: [Google]
1454301354257.jpg
16 KB, 275x279
What the literal fuck is going on with Trier?
>>
File: 1439110950405.png (88 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
1439110950405.png
88 KB, 400x380
>This entire press conference
>>
> "Lars asked my wife if he could fuck her. He found another slut".

Refn confirmed not cuck
>>
Where i can find the conference?
>>
>>69766981
live stream here, but the neon demon conference is over : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MssJDH-mMsk
>>
>>69767113
i hope will be uploaded later
>>
http://www.cine-vue.com/2016/05/cannes-2016-neon-demon-review.html

>perhaps the most misogynistic film of the decade
>>
>>69767639
>written by a guy
>>
>>69767639

If what's her name gets nekkid I don't care how misogynistic it is.

My only fear is that since it is a Refn film, it will suck. The guy hasn't made a good film since '08.
>>
>>69767832
>The guy hasn't made a good film since '08.
no. But you're baiting, anyways
>>
>>69764602
Missed the beginning, any interesting questions or memeworthy comments?
>>
>>69767113
>but the neon demon conference is over
Then how am i watching it on that very stream?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MssJDH-mMsk

Anyone else watching this?
Press Q&A for Neon Demon
So far he's said how Neon Demon was living out his dream of being a 16 yr old girl and that Elle is him
>>
>>69767934
thanks man
>>
>Nicholas to the best of your knowledge would you say the fashion world was even harsher than the acting world?

>W-well, uh, haha I'm not an expert baby

Based Refn
>>
Hey /cannes/ I tried to make a thread but I got literally no response so I want to ask here since the film left me so bewildered (Tropical Malady):

I watched this last night /tv/ and I have to ask: what the fuck was that first half?

It took me three separate viewings to get past the 40 minute mark, and once I did I was enthralled for the remainder of the film because admittedly that last half is incredible, inspired filmmaking. But what on EARTH was that first half?

The whole thing was shot like two povo thai kids making their own music video for a Death Cab for Cutie song. Their dialogue was awkward and the acting of the non-soldier was so profoundly bad; the soldier wasn't great but next to that spastic I would've given him an Oscar. Then there's that weird hand licking scene and the dentally-retarded boy slips into the shadows and you start to perk up a bit because it looks like the director woke up and suddenly the film turns into this brilliantly paced pseudo-horror.

I'm also wondering which of his films to watch next. Critically it looks like it should be either Uncle Boonmee or Cemetery of Splendour but I can't say I'm overly attracted to the latter.
>>
>>69748559
>you will never have a qt aryan Iranian woman caressing your body with her luscious lips
JDIMSA
>>
>>69767934
>not a political statement
>just living through elle fanning entering into the fashion world

literally based
>>
>>69768151
That was a fantastic point.
>i dont know, I'm not trying to make a political point

He just want to make cool movies abut stuff that matters to him. truly an artist
>>
>>69751372
iranians are the only bros we have there, also
>indo european
>>
>the morgue scene was filmed in an actual morgue
>not a set or cgi
Where were you when Refn saved cinema?
>>
>you will never be on Refn's set while he directs a lesbian necrophilia scene
>>
>Kiss on the nipple
>More saliva
>>
>His awkward gags
>Intermittent waxing poetic
>Fanning's awkward guffaws littered amongst the crickets
>Random bouts of profanity
>Literally cringing in anticipation of another Von Trier moment
>>
>>69768172
You lying nigger. There were responses. And if you wanted a better thread, you should have done a more interesting, attractive OP or done things the champs' way, samefagging like no tomorrow.
>>
>well you're from Norway...
#wrekt
>>
>>69768398
Bruh I posted twice in five responses, and you have to have a picture with the title or people get angry.
>>
>>69767934

>want to see the press conference
>and shitpost with all the others anon on /tv/
>dont want to get spoilers

can you tell me when it's safe to listen?
>>
File: great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif (510 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif
510 KB, 480x228
THIS WHOLE PRESS CONFERENCE
>>
>calling his film punk rock based on the reactions
>forgets the question he's answering and asks what it is
>Lars tried to fuck his wife
Holy fuck
This is the greatest thing in the world
>>
>>69767934
Literally what is he talking about
>my wife wants sex
>i said fuck off

Lol whut
>>
>>69748173
>mfw refn is stepping up to defend art
>>
File: 1463673380001.jpg (33 KB, 593x331) Image search: [Google]
1463673380001.jpg
33 KB, 593x331
>>69768392
Kek I was getting a Dunst vibe too from Elle's awkward laughs
He loves the sound of his own voice so much but his autism makes me unable to hate him

>>69768435
There are some mild spoilers throughout
>>
>>69768435
I only muted it when he was talking about the lesbian necrophilia
The rest of it is pretty spoiler-free
>>
>>69768460
during the screening when the dedication "for liv" appeared people were shouting FUCK LIV
>>
>I think it's important to get that message across for all those teenagers who were like me...
>or Elle...
>who just turned 18
HE KNOWS
>>
>>69767916
They're just repeating it, the actual press conference is already over. Look at the time in the description.
>>
File: 1456922918132.jpg (34 KB, 616x616) Image search: [Google]
1456922918132.jpg
34 KB, 616x616
>>69767934
>lesbians
>necrofilia
>punk rock
>fuck off
>what is the question?
>>
>>69768460
He was talking about how Lars asked his wife if she would fuck him and she told Von Trier to fuck off
>so he went and found some whore
>>
>>69768521
>mfw he posts here
>>
>>69751881
Secular governments were always going to be a phase. Educated urban workers can't do shit in a country when everyone is from a backwards farming village.
>>
https://youtu.be/CvVbo2CP0t8?t=2m27s

Refn posing is just perfect.
>>
>Refn announces he's Transgender

OH BOY HERE WE GO
>>
>>69768810
elle fanning is having so much fun :3
>>
>>69768810
>spoilers in the photo call

why would they do this?
>>
>>69769222
He probably gave her the best film of her career. I'd be happy too.
>>
>>69768883
wait what?
Serious?
>>
File: image.jpg (363 KB, 1920x1152) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
363 KB, 1920x1152
>>69769534
Yeah.

The Neon Demon was an excercise in pretending to be a pretty 18 year old girl and now he's going all the way.

Absolute madman.
>>
>>69769616
>that fucking towel

everytime
>>
>>69769616
neckfu spotted
>>
who /penn/ here?
>>
>>69748506
Why are cannes attendees all manchildren? Who does this shit?
>>
File: 1463710150474.jpg (1 MB, 2832x4256) Image search: [Google]
1463710150474.jpg
1 MB, 2832x4256
>>
>>69769823
I don't understand the hate on /tv/, he's a great actor and a fine director
>>
>>69767934
>>69768151
>>69768212
>>69768314
>>69768478
whats with all this love for this dude? he has never made a truly good movie, just a bunch of meh and a few good ones.
seriously, why is he so popular on these threads? the majority of directors in the competition are far better than him
>>
>>69769929
He's an autist, Drive was a big hit, he has a bold visual style, he doesn't make whiny political films like a lot of the other directors in the competition.
>>
>>69769929
Drive was awesome, even if meme'd to death
Valhalla Rises and Bronson were incredible too
I haven't seen the Pusher trilogy yet but I've only heard good things

But I doubt you've seen anything by him other than Drive and Only god Forgives?
>>
>>69769929
He is a "meme" director along with Chan-wook Park. Both hallmarks of the 'entry-level' that is Oldboy and Drive, latter of which has heavily influenced /tv/ culture.
>>
>>69769929
Except of course that every single one of his films is "truly good"
>>
>>69769972
>he has a bold visual style
this is simply not true, hes a washed out G.Noe wannabe
>He's an autist
man, hes the critics/festival love child, he may be many things but an autist or an outcast he is not
>>
>>69770032
>entry-level
Yeah, if you ignore Valhalla Rising, Pusher series, Bronson and Bleeder.
None of these are even close to entry-level.
>>
File: soon.png (123 KB, 426x179) Image search: [Google]
soon.png
123 KB, 426x179
>>
>>69770091
>None of these are even close to entry-level.

lol
>>
>>69770032
even CW Park is way better than this douche
>>69770024
no, I've watched Drive, Bronson and Valhalla Rises
bronson was the one I liked the most, and it is hardly a great movie.
VR was cringe worthy
>>
>>69770091
Valhalla Rising is entry-level in that it has the appearance of an important film but it's really just a cheap violent b-movie imitation of Tarkovsky.

Still good, but Refn basically just makes weird b-movies that don't have much to say.
>>
>>69770032

> Park Chan-Wook a "meme"

Well we are truly blessed with great people on TV today

JOKES it's full of pleb just as always
>>
>>69748173
>Neon Demon getting ripped by critics.
Where? It has 56% on RT which is mixed, but it also has weirdly high 8/10 score, which means critics who gave it a positive review LOVED IT and critics who gave a negative one still found something to like it in it.
>>
Refnfags in full force
>>
>>69770155
>appearance of an important film
What does this even mean? It's an experimental film, that's all. He explained the reasoning behind it as well although I would say it's more or less a complete visual experience without a whole lot behind it. There isn't anything wrong with that.
It's certainly not entry-level, the reception it gets literally everywhere already shows that.
>>
>>69770247
>What does this even mean? It's an experimental film, that's all.

murder me
>>
>>69770269
Lad, if there is any word that can describe this film it's experimental.
>>
>>69770269
I'd be glad to. Boring friday
>>
>>69770247
>It's an experimental film
What does this even mean?

kek
experimental film my ass
>>
>>69770344
Literally no arguments.
>>
>>69770145
>VR was cringe worthy
Is that your way of admitting to be an ADHD-riddled teenager who couldn't pay attention and then got mad when you didn't understand what was going on?
>>
>>69770384
well why don't you tell us then what an experimental film is, or more importantly, why VR is experimental in your opinion, you underage pleb
>>
>>69770433
hey fag, I've watched trash humpers and wasn't bored as much as I was with VR.
its just a stupid movie for edgy norimes, hell you might call his whole filmography like that
>>
>>69757778
I'm literally going to fap in the theatre to this movie
>>
>>69769929
He makes "cool" films. Violent, sexy, stylish, genre films, which appeal to the angsty young male demographic of this site. People like him, Tarantino or Park Chan Wook fetishize genre cinema, they consume images on a visceral level, they understand film is first and foremost a matter of senses and impulses, they embrace the counter-culture and otherwise despised subcultures without caring about cultural hierarchies. They don't care about social issues or what is respectable by the intelligentsia, but they're also aware of what is needed to be considered high-brow and are good at marketing themselves with the festival crowd. This translates into uncompromising genre films, with a lot of varied influences from anime to experimental theater, and a little bit of substance underneath the overabundance of style. Refn can have references to both Cannibal Holocaust and Tarkovsky in the same scene, because in his mind there are natural metatextual connections, The man himself loves to give an image of himself as an emotionally-stunted violent-obsessed awkward but passionate teenager, so a lot of tv users can relate with him in interviews. His filmography may not even be that great, his persona might be fabricated or annoying, but he's our guy anyway, the filmmaker today who most accurately represents the collective unconscious, weirdness or charm of this board.
>>
>>69770622
Pretty decent points
>>
>>69756641

Yeah, that's why Miller "the visual punk"''s last film got lauded last year.
>>
>>69770622
well said, can I copypasta
>>
>>69770505
Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions
>>
>>69770622
>People like him, Tarantino or Park Chan Wook
>him, Tarantino or Park Chan Wook
>comparing Refn, Tarantino and Park
One of these is not like the others
I'll give you a hint: it isn't the Asian
>>
>threw a table at a wall in film school and got expelled, then re-did the scene in Bronson
>directed Drive even though he failed his driver's license exam like 7 times
>directed OGF only so he could visit toy shops in Thailand then got upset because his wife put his toys in the attic
>can't shoot his movies in non-chronological order
>color blind
>dyslexic
>lost virginity at 24
>proposed to his first girlfriend (now wife), she initially said no but kept the ring
>daughter doesn't call him Dad or Papa, calls him "Jang" the same nickname used by his adult friends and family
>believes in Thai ghosts because his daughter sees them and Jodo told him some spooky shit reading tarot cards
>tried to kill his stepmom but the gun didn't go off
>literally wears a towel when he's shooting a movie to keep his energy inside him or something
>can't pick his own clothes, wife does it for him
>Mads says he can't talk to him outside of movie sets because he can literally only talk about cinema
>keeps writing scenes about his characters going to hookers then getting limp, obvious self-insert
>cried during his first meeting with the Goose
>cried on live Danish TV
>said he now only watches movies on an iPhone
>has deluded himself into thinking he's close friend with David Lynch, randomly brings up "David" in conversations, while other people have no idea who he's talking about
>despite his wife trying her best to dress him correctly, he still attends event dressed like a teenager while everyone else is dressed properly
>almost got his now wife to run away on their second date because he told her he was going to show her a beautiful, emotional film and then forced her to watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>has no chin
>>
>>69770733
TTCSM is a beautiful, emotional film though. And a lot of other things too
>>
>>69770733
Quite a character
>>
>>69770622
>He makes "cool" films
that is hardly an objective statement.
>They don't care about social issues or what is respectable by the intelligentsia
what!? Uno farto and PC Wook don't care about social issues? also, not respectable by the intelligentsia, you say that like they make movies about some niche fringe cultures when that couldn't be farther from the truth.
>from anime to experimental theater
you're throwing the word experimental around like you don't even know what it means.
you also state these broad points but you don't name examples from his movies to follow these statements
>His filmography may not even be that great, his persona might be fabricated or annoying
this is the only part that I agree with.
>he filmmaker today who most accurately represents the collective unconscious,
kek

again too much broad talk but you can't really say anything specific about any of his movies.
>>
>>69770849
sshhh!
That would require him to know what he was talking about. He's straight off the boat though and doesn't realise that we don't have an upvote system here
Give him time
>>
>>69767639

That's praise in this day and age. Can't wait to see it.
>>
>>69770928
>>69770849
>>>ledddit
>>
Have any of you read the Neon Demon script? I thought it was pretty great.
>>
>>69770677
How many years of hard work for him to earn this kind of respect? How many people refused to see its merits because it was a "car chase movie"? It was such a masterpiece of filmmaking that even the intelligentsia had to acknowledge it. Despite this, it still got snubbed at the Oscars in favor of a glorified TV movie. When Miller was announced as president of the jury, a lot of people on social medias also complained or made fun of him, because he didn't fit the Cannes mold.

Exemple: 2010 Cannes winner (for a film no one remembers) Xavier Beauvois posted his prizes (hanging in his toilets) while claiming that Miller was nothing.

People will still be watching Mad Max 100 years from now and it has nothing to do with festivals and award ceremonies or the critics.
>>
these thread should be called "plebs praising Nicolas Winding Refn"
there is no film/cannes discussion here.
>>
>>69770974
>no u
>>
>>69771033
>(for a film no one remembers)
Do you mean House of Tolerance?
Because it's a brilliant film.
>>
>>69771033
>Fury Road was a good film
>people only don't like it because it doesn't fit the inteligensia mold
Here's a hint, when the only people that praise a film (like fury road or pacific rim) are a certain group of pseudo-'intellectuals' that think they're better than people who like Transformers along with circlejerking academy members then it's probably a shit film
>>
When you have people thinking even the Oscars are pretentious, the thread's dead
>>
>>69771135
Fury Road was LOVED by almost everyone, don't be ridiculous. He's also creating a false dichotomy of "cinema punks" and then puts motherfucking Park Chan Wook on it.
>>
>>69771048
>why aren't people talking about films they haven't seen
>>
>>69771048
>>69770928
>>69770849
Why so butthurt famalam?
>>
>>69748506
>a movie that incited boos, walkouts and yelling at the screen

what the fuck? I thought cannes was supposed to be a serious and elitist thing, not an autism convention.
>>
>>69771226
>le everyone loved it so it's good
>also force awakens is the best star wars film
>and civil war is so epic XD
>>
>>69749192
you never know, last year The Assassin and Carol were the critical darlings and fucking Deephan of all movies got it

It all comes down to the jury and what they agree on, that's why it's so unpredictable
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/20/the-last-face-review-sean-penn-charlize-theron-crass-romance-cannes

>African conflict is aphrodisiac for white people in Sean Penn's crass romance

kek
>>
Farhadi will save us
>>
>>69771341
You're not following your own reasoning. Fury Road was praised at Cannes BY the intelligentsia.
>>
File: 1445055224867.png (111 KB, 221x221) Image search: [Google]
1445055224867.png
111 KB, 221x221
>Neon Demon getting ripped by critics
More like getting ripped by SJW's

The movie is based and Refn is based
>>
>>69771135
>>69771341
Must be great to so shameless to shitpost
>>
>>69771399
>ughhh, are there even any African or Asian peoples in this flick?
>>
>>69771399
>frogposter has a surface level interest in film

sounds about right
>>
File: 1444539786904.gif (722 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1444539786904.gif
722 KB, 245x245
>>69771465
>>69771399
>>
the last face currently on 0.36 on the apitchapoll roflmao
>>
>237comments
>69posters
I bet my ass there are like 5 fags who just shill for Refn the whole time and are 50% of the posts here
>>
>>69771460
>if you criticise my opinions you have to be consistant
wew lad
you sound butthurt
Fury Road is an extended music video with uninteresting music that's praised by people too stupid to appreciate good films but who want to appear to like films above the general pleb mold
I would bet money that the majority of people that shill that film love Nolan films too
>>
>>69771380
Farhadi and the cutie from About Elly

holy shit please be good
>>
>>69771558
Fascinating. I'm sure you can continue the diatribe for a couple more hours.
>>
>>69771600
>not preferring best girl Golshifteh

have you seen Fireworks Wednesday? He worked with Alidousti on that film as well. It's not as phenomenal as About Elly or A Separation but it's still pretty damn good.
>>
>>69771781
all me
>>
>>69771748
Goldfish has terrible tits though
>>
""""""""critics""""""" are always shitting on Refn.

I know for a fact all his movies are great even if they bomb his movie

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1463751697447.webm
>>
File: 1463747112650.jpg (3 MB, 3235x4852) Image search: [Google]
1463747112650.jpg
3 MB, 3235x4852
>>
>>69772016
Great white/pinkness, but could do with a less deformed face
>>
>>69748787
Wait, so K Stew is now being type cast as a celebrity personal assistant? Isn't this the second time in 3 years?
>>
>>69764494
Try bait harder. Le Monde is the Jew York Times of France. It is not a "leftist" newspaper; it's an establishment one.
>>
>>69772159
And this establishment newspaper is leftist, on US and France. Wew, that was hard
>>
@benfraserlee
The Last Face is Beasts of No Nation rewritten for white people by Nicholas Sparks.
>>
File: Screenshot-2015-01-26-12.25.05.png (790 KB, 1686x898) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2015-01-26-12.25.05.png
790 KB, 1686x898
>>69748529
>"If the supermodel knife fight in Nicolas Winding Refn‘s movie doesn’t do it for you," begins Steve Pond's review for TheWrap, "maybe the necrophilia masturbation scene will."
>>
>>69772285
Very non-racist comment
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.