[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Castle’s Cancellation Was a Victory for Gender Equality in Hollywood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
>The show is about writer Rick Castle, played by Nathan Fillion, and police officer Kate Beckett, played by Stana Katic. After eight seasons, ABC announced that the show was firing Katic and Tamala Jones, the only other female cast member who has been there all eight seasons and plays a crime fighter (the medical examiner). The reason given publicly was that the show needed to save money. The male actors who play crime fighters — Fillion and two others who play police officers — were all given new contracts.
>Fans launched an uproar. To some outsiders, it seemed like a sentimental desire to hold onto a very well drawn out love story between Castle and Beckett. But to those of us in the know, it was a shocking, sexist move by a show that has long embodied the opposite sensibility.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-levs/the-hollywood-gender-equa_b_10029064.html

How come /tv/ hasn't got a television show cancelled from butthurt?
>>
No, it's shows how 1 woman can fuck up everything and lose 100s of people their jobs
>>
Because we like television shows

why would we get a show we liked cancelled

that would be lunacy
>>
>>69745930
>ABC announced that the show was firing Katic
No, it did not. Katic did not renew her contract. Supposedly she had problems with Fillion. As for the black ME, do not know anything about her.
>>
>>69746009
How did she fuck up?
>>
Cancellation, I thought it was just renewed for season 9?
>>
>Gender equality on TV is rare. A show equally committed to showing three-dimensional, believable men and women stands out. (Perhaps that’s why Hillary Clinton watches it.)

Huff post srs

In a section of my book, All In, I write about the importance of pop culture images and how they affect real-life laws, policies, and stigmas. This matters. I’ve also praised Castle in the media for its strong depiction of fatherhood.

Gotta plug my book too

What a shit fucking site
>>
>>69746324
It's seriously embarrassing. It used to be one of the only good left wing sites that wasn't full fucking retard.
>>
>>69746164
She couldn't play well with others.
>>
>>69746163
Black ME really didn't offer anything to the show. She's easily replaced, and hell they have another ME anyway that shows up.

Katic was a major part of the show, but they could have continued without her. The main character is Castle, not like he left.

Castle also has his mom and daughter as supporting cast, so not like it's a sexist cast. Also the female chief.
>>
File: giphy (2).gif (976 KB, 453x256) Image search: [Google]
giphy (2).gif
976 KB, 453x256
>>69745930
>But to those of us in the know, it was a shocking, sexist move
>>
>>69745930
I've literally never heard of this show
>>
>>69747233
>Black ME really didn't offer anything to the show
She did have some fairly spectacular tits, and the show was seriously lacking in that department.

>his mom and daughter
The daughter would have been a good choice to bring on board full time. She's enthusiastic, great with the fans, and she's young enough into her career that she could be had on the cheap.
>>
>>69745930
Fillion and Katic had good on screen chemistry together early on in the run, but it's grown a bit stale. Interaction between the various characters and actors makes the show entertaining, lord knows it isn't the formulaic episodes.

Having said that, the show could have survived the loss of Katic. She's not as interesting on her own without Fillion's Castle.
>>
mfw looknig at her imdb, Here's hoping Sister Cities is good
>>
>>69747070
what's the juicy details on katic
>>
>>69745930
I thought it was cancelled because they planned on killing Katic off and going with a depressed Castle finds the killer S9 so they didn't renew her contact. Then people bitched

Molly Quinn is a qtpie
>>
>>69747880
talk about a box face
>>
>>69747233
also the black brit chick has gained more and more screen time since first appearing
>>
>>69747933
She's had problems with Fillion on set. Now, maybe the problem is Fillion and not her, but that's not what the evidence suggests. Fillion has worked big screen and small screen, and done plenty of VO work. He's not short on projects and everything I've read suggests he's pretty good to work with. Katic, however, is nowhere near as prolific and hasn't been able to turn her Castle gig, which has been long running and successful, into anything else.

Like said, she might be the problem here, but I doubt it.
>>
>>69748247
I've been doing some searching too, since I only heard about these "problems" in the past few days. Haven't turned up anything other than people saying there are problems.

It's Fillion's show. He's the star. Everyone else could be replaced. Might not work, but he's the draw and irreplaceable.
>>
I actually really like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYDstDBEjOg
>>
>>69748530
Don't say that too loud, the's a contingent of posters on /tv/ that get mad when you suggest male leads are okay.
>>
>>69745930
It's good that they cancelled it, Castle without Beckett would have been shit.

Maybe the actress is "difficult" or whatever, she's a woman and women are universally terrible, but Beckett's relationship with Castle is the entire point of the show.
>>
>>69747233
>The main character is Castle, not like he left.

Trying to make Castle without Beckett is like trying to make joanie loves chachi without chachi
>>
>>69748060
>Molly Quinn is a qtpie

Too bad she got fat
>>
>>69748530
>It's Fillion's show. He's the star.
Why do so many people have opinions about this when they've never watched the show
>>
>>69749298

because being a writer trailing around a cop but the show still has your character's name as the 'name' doesn't mean premise aspects don't involve beckett.

The problem is differing visions. Nathan wanted the show to be something else than what it was and so did Stana, and she was probably hard to get along with if they have you in marriage counseling.

the problem is for years they got along really well so something happened that nobody is saying.
>>
File: 1331754815894.png (114 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1331754815894.png
114 KB, 400x358
>>69749240
her face was always fat, or at least round, least when her body is fat she's got some tits
>in an alternate universe molly has the body of christina hendricks
big tit redheads are my weakness
>>
>>69749428
>>in an alternate universe molly has the body of christina hendricks
Welp, I know what I'm fapping to tonight.

>big tit redheads are my weakness
Your taste is perfection.
>>
>>69748113
>>69748060

Spinoff with cute redhead and black british chick private detective duo when?
>>
>>69749397
>because being a writer trailing around a cop but the show still has your character's name as the 'name' doesn't mean premise aspects don't involve beckett.

This is a terrible fucking sentence so I'm not going to bother parsing it.

"writer falls in love with a cop" is the entirety of the show's premise. If fillion thought he could cut that out and keep making a series, he's an idiot and his vision is garbage
>>
>>69745930
He looks like uncharted man.
>>
>>69746324
Gotta agree. I regret clicking on this article because it is a) sensationalist bullshit based on heresay b) The guy shills himself and his social media accounts like four times and c) I've seen better bait from 4chan shitposters than this.

Jesus fuck this guy is a douche. This isn't even a PC-bullshit issue; it's a "this asshole in particular should fuck himself with a cactus issue."
>>
>>69745930
>going to huff-shit ever
Pleb
>>
>>69752606
Yeah, half of these dumb cucks frequent that and salon.
>>
Now he can play Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie right?

pls god make it happen
>>
>>69748060
It was cancelled because the show turned to garbage and ratings were plummeting.
>>
>>69753454
they should have realized that getting rid of kate was a shit idea because they've barely had her around for most of season 8 and the ratings have been shit
>>
>>69753732
it's like they didnt know what else to do with her ever since that whole going to DC sub plot

the locksat stuff seemed to drag on forever...until the rushed finale of course.
>>
>>69753732
It was desperate act in the face of death so I don't actually blame them too much for that.

One of the biggest problems I had with S8 was it touched on some issues that could have been interesting (Beckett's drive for vengeance not being sated) and then abandoned them for le ebin corrupt CIA officer trying to kill a NYC police captain.
>>
>>69753353
Wouldn't that one guy from "The Librarian" have been better?

I mean, he's already been in several movies featuring an adventure-junky archaeologist.
>>
>>69754303
well, Nathan already looks, sounds like him and has the right personality.
>>
>>69745930
>shit no one watches
>>
>>69754340
hes also old
>>
>>69754340
Yeah, but I could argue that Librarian Guy looks just like him, and all it'd take for him to get into the role would be for him to watch a whole bunch of Harrison Ford movies for inspiration.
>>
>>69745930

I like Ryan and Esposito more than Beckett anyway, their love story thing grew old half way through the show.
>>
I was kind of bummed to see it cancelled, but it had really exhausted itself by now.

>family is annoying and intruding
>random black CIA agent is now working with a PI
>beckett makes captain but still keeps going in to the field

While it is "Castle", they built it up too much to be buddy cop procedural, that trying to do something else after this would have been just a shit on the series.

It's like what's going on with Person of Interest. Fanfiction tier garbage writing, half season order (instead of cancelled, I rather take cancelled, I see half orders as the kiss of death of quality), and probably a literal shoestring budget, maybe 1/4th or 1/5th of the previous season(s)'s budget.

Hopefully Fillion can find something else.
>>
I watched the ending and I didn't even understand.
They died and then you saw them years later with children.

Seems like they had two ideas for an ending and just decided to go with both and leave it open to interpretations.
>>
>>69756204
>It's like what's going on with Person of Interest. Fanfiction tier garbage writing
Person of Interest has been a comedy for a few seasons now.
>>
>>69745930
>How come /tv/ hasn't got a television show cancelled from butthurt?
/pol/ is the only board with the meme magic to shape the real world
>>
>>69750427
dumb /v/ posters
>>
>>69745930
>How come /tv/ hasn't got a television show cancelled from butthurt?
Yeah that seems like a good idea. Lets tap into that nuclear power butthurt we call /tv/ butthurt and weaponize it.

I am sure that will end well.
>>
>>69756268
You just mean last season and this season.

Seasons 1-3 were fine. 3 was pushing it a little.

We're talking about a series that has a sentient AI developed by 2005/2006 running on a supercomputer cluster by the CIA, and its only gimped due to Harold making it erase its memories every day, and having it be a black box initially with only his Founder recognition being the behind-the-door access.
>>
File: 1457582331618.jpg (732 KB, 1876x2739) Image search: [Google]
1457582331618.jpg
732 KB, 1876x2739
>>69756282
>implying
>>
>>69756365
Season 3 was already stretching it and anyone who is still watching it after season 4 has lost the right to complain.
>>
Instead of talking about this retardation, let's discuss how long it'll take before Fillion JUSTs now that the show is cancelled?

He was already starting to show signs of it so I give it a year, maybe two once his Castle money starts to run out and his bitterness over having only played a role he loved for a season against having played one he was meh towards for eight grows deeper..
>>
>>69756417
Im just watching it now for the sake of finishing it.

But no, fuck you, retard. I have the right to complain about HALF SEASON ORDERS because it fucks up everything.

It cheapens the series of whatever it might be, it gives the ending of the series a sour note for being cheap in quality, writing, and production, and generally brings down the series as well in general opinion too.

Fringe is where I want to puke about remembering their half order. Fucking FOX, what a gem of a series it was, and they had the balls to give Fringe a half order last season, and cut their budget.

Either cancel it outright, or don't give shit budgets to a last season. That or the jews want one more season so they can "syndicate" and get more shekels.

Luckily the Fringe writing team pulled a rabbit out of their ass, and still made a competent (albeit, mixed reception since it dealt with the future alt timeline of Fringe) last half order season.
>>
>>69745930

Can we try and get The Big Bang Theory? We could come up with some bollocks about how it makes fun of mental illness and it's incredibly insulting to those with it.
>>
>>69756728
Lets not mess with Chuck Lorre.
I am pretty certain he might actually be satan.
>>
>>69756671
FOX does dumb shit with their shows. Remember, after funding Firefly FOX executives:
>gave it the 8pm Friday night slot
>showed the episodes out of order
>failed to support it with advertising

FOX does dumb shit like Keith Richards takes pills: so frequently that it isn't worth commenting on.
>>
>>69746324

Sorry to bring /v/ shit into it but it reminds me of a Polygon article which said there was literally never a good female character in a video game before The Last Of Us.
>>
>>69757005
FUCKING STOP POSTING ANY TIME /v/ FAGGOTS.
>>
>>69757005
SJW ideologues just repeat dogma. It isn't even a matter of seeing what they want to see, even that's giving them too much credit.

You get the same on here when SJW-inclined posters start frothing at the mouth over the lack of strong female leads.
>>
>>69754340

He's too old.

If he was somewhere between Firefly and Slither, he'd be much more fitting for the part.
>>
>>69756813

What's the worst that could happen if we do go after Lorre?
>>
>>69757113
pls stop taking the bait friendo
>>
>>69757289
Sorry, I was mobbed by a group of SJWs in a thread earlier this week and I'm still traumatized.
>>
>A show equally committed to showing three-dimensional, believable men and women stands out. (Perhaps that’s why Hillary Clinton watches it.)

Good enough reason to cancel it.
>>
File: Stana-Katic-Feet-711192.jpg (910 KB, 2100x3000) Image search: [Google]
Stana-Katic-Feet-711192.jpg
910 KB, 2100x3000
>>69745930
Glad it got cancelled, shit show. Only worth watching for the attractive women anyway
>>
>>69757325
If the new Ghostbusters is good enough for Hil, it's good enough for me.

Right? Right?

Who's with me!
>>
>>69757400
You go sister!

Let's all rub fat slabs!
>>
File: 1367595380295.jpg (59 KB, 781x681) Image search: [Google]
1367595380295.jpg
59 KB, 781x681
>no one mentions how dogshit the "Locksat" reveal was

Almost seemed like it was an M Night Shamalalalalalyn production, especially with the "twist" right in the last fucking 3 minutes of the show.

I can't tell if they decided to end on that due to editing and KNOWING they got cancelled and chose this "A" ending to air, instead of the "B" ending had they gotten renewed possibly.
>>
What's next for Molly Quinn? I hope she does a nude scene where she doesn't wear a merkin and instead shows her furry red crotch mmmm im so horny
>>
>>69757000
Firefly is overrated. Besides, it caused Dark Angel's 12th hour cancellation.

(reCAPTCHA: an empty glass is not a fucking drink, faggot captcha)
>>
>>69757702
She looks awful most of the time. Something about her face.
>>
>>69757843
I thought Dark Angel got canceled because season 2 was shit
>>
>>69757843
Dark Angel went to shit after season 1, and while Firefly does get a ton of hype, due in part to its crib death, it could have run several seasons easily.
>>
>>69745930
I always thought this was a British show
>>
>>69757605
i feel like that was all rushed because the show got ended

even them being shot in the kitchen then 7 years after all randomly happened within 45seconds
>>
>>69757917
i think she looks incredible and sexy and i hope she shows more of herself
>>
>>69757843
>Dark Angel
Holy shit that show was terrible after it's first season.
>>
>>69745930

>But to those of us in the know
>Huffington Post
>"in the know"

Thank for the laff.
>>
>>69757998
I've never even heard of it m8
>>
>>69757982
>it could have run several seasons easily.
thought the writers said they had 3ish seasons already planned out for it
>>
>>69745930
This report is disingenuous... Molly Quinn's been there the whole time. Surely they would have fired her if they had some sort of sexist agenda.
>>
>>69759355
Yeah, but the patriarchy keeps her around because she's young, nubile, and brainwashed.
>>
>>69759080
Of they made any more seasons beyond 2-3 the show wouldve turned into pure garbage
I dropped castle after 3 seasons too because it's the same repetitive shit nearly every episode
>>
>>69753454
This

They should have ended it after last season. The two main subplots of the series from the beginning (the sexual tension/romance between Castle and Beckett, and Beckett's mother's murder) were neatly tied up, and the ending they gave the season seven finale (when they didn't know if it would be renewed or not) was perfect.

Unfortunately, the networks and producers never seem to know when to let go.
>>
>>69745930
I find this hard to believe and think the real reason was because no one cared or heard of it like me
>>
>>69748530

Rumors have been saying for years that Katic is a bitch who treats the crew like shit and thinks that they're beneath her. Fillion takes issue with her attitude and has confronted her multiple times telling her to stop being a bitch.
>>
>>69745930
Laney (Tamala) appeared less and less as the show went on. And Katic was a terrible actress and her character was this holier-than-thou twat.

I guess you can't fire women from a show now, because that's sexist.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.