[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dune [lynch]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: review_dune_poster.jpg (213 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
review_dune_poster.jpg
213 KB, 970x545
what does /tv/ think of this magnificent turd?
>>
Except for the awful hazmat-with-neon-green-visor Sardaukar and wingless ornithopters, the adaptation is actually god-tier,very faithful to the books and has an unique atmosphere. Then, my name has become a weapon and they condense the last third of the book into ten minutes, half of which is spent on firing a Minigun while riding a sandworm, and while that is pretty metal, is still a shit idea.

The Alan Smithee cut and fanedits are an interesting sidestep, but the movie died when Lynch was denied the six-hour cut.
>>
>>69743418
Breddy gud but the SciFi miniseries did it better, except for the horrible set backdrops.
>>
so is it lynch's or de laurentiis' fault? lynch can be great, but I'm not sure if a film with the scope of dune is within his capabilities
>>
a documentary on lynch's dune would be highly interesting, imo
>>
Dune isn't science fiction it's fantasy set in space
>>
Imagine if Jodorowski's Dune would've actually been made.
>>
File: 1359913812524.jpg (22 KB, 364x366) Image search: [Google]
1359913812524.jpg
22 KB, 364x366
>>69744023
>imagine shooting yourself in the gut over and over again
'no'
This shit is my jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SwFhfNh1w
>>
>>69744023
i can only imagine the immense expense of the production. i can't really blame the studios for shooting jodo down.
>>
>>69744023
and also, i think a lot of the effects probably would have turned out like shit irl. the technology just wasn't there in the 70s
>>
>>69744023
did you watch that documentary about it? It's really good.
>>
>>69744207
i actually just did. it was inspiring, but i wish it had focused more on how impractical all of this was. it was amazing to me that jodo and company came up with this completely fleshed out movie and were basically ready to shoot, but they had never contacted the production company to say, "is this even viable?"
>>
Is it recognizable as a Lynch film when you're watching it?
>>
>>69744541
not especially, other than the fact that kyle maclachlan and jack nance are in it
>>
I like it despite its flaws.

the cast, sets and costumes are fantastic
the effects a pretty mixed bag
for a desert film, it's insufficiently expansive - lynch is better at intimate weirdness
i like hearing characters thoughts as a voiceover, i don't know why this isn't done in more films.
There are some hot women in it.
the sound weapons are stupid - maybe studio interference forced them in?
>>
>>69744644
>i like hearing characters thoughts as a voiceover, i don't know why this isn't done in more films.
Excessive use of voiceovers is a bit of a filmic faux pas, like starting a horror novel with a line about a dark and stormy night. It's not such a cliche as that, more just looked down upon.
>>
>>69744023
it would have been fucking awful. at least lynch's dune looks like dune, jodorowski's wouldn't even have had that.
>>
File: 1456567284707.jpg (473 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456567284707.jpg
473 KB, 1920x1080
Liked it overall, it felt very Dune. Would've preferred combat to have been closer to the book but can see why Lynch decided to make it more about (sound)guns and to have seen atomics used in the Battle of Arrakeen.
>>
>>69744779
It definitely comes across a bit awkwardly. Fantasy and sci-fi novels are hard to make into dynamic movies bc of the extensive exposition required. i guess this is lynch's way of smooshing in some expo in the most hamfisted way possible.
>>
>>69744799
you've got a point. jodorowsky had never even read the novel when he decided to make the movie. he also admits to raping frank herbert in the documentary (and i'm barely even paraphrasing)
>>
>>69744953
as in raping herbert's ideas, not his literal bunghole...
>>
>>69743418
It's just that: a magnificent turd.
>>
>>69743418
do not like it. it comes across as campy...
>>
HBO should pick up Dune.
>>
File: AlecNewman.jpg (20 KB, 400x382) Image search: [Google]
AlecNewman.jpg
20 KB, 400x382
>mfw I was a much better Paul Atreides despite both of my minseries being hampered by a painfully small budget, bad special effects, weird costumes, and generally low production values and also Kyle MacLachlan is a turbofag
>>
>>69743418
It's fun, and it's got some pretty iconic music.
>>
>>69746794
No he wasn't.
>>
>>69746794
Newman had the leadership charisma of a bowl of oatmeal. No fantasy could imagine people Jihading for him.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.