[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movies that you love that your friends don't know that exist.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (569 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
569 KB, 1024x768
> But you're so selfish you don't want them to know about them.
>>
Titanic or Captian America: Civil War
>>
>>69731450
those aren't your friends then anon.
>>
GotG and Ant-man

Yeah, my friends are fucking plebs I know
>>
>>69731450
Why do people like this movie. It falls apart really quickly. Not ever Japanese cartoon has to end with "the evil people in power have created a giant biological superweapon and it's out of control!"
>>
>>69731993
They don't all end that way. Out of the ~60 movies I have on my HDD that I've watched, three or four have endings that are something along those lines.
>>
>>69731993
It's certainly overrated but good enough for people to like it.
>>
>>69731993
um.. does 100,000 HAND-MADE DRAWINGS mean anything to you. do you know how incredibly rare that is? i bet you can't even name 5 other animes that contain 100,000 HAND-MADE DRAWINGS.
>>
>>69731993
SEVEN HAND DRAWN YEARS

Its literally a love letter to traditional animation.
>>
>>69731993
>Not ever Japanese cartoon has to end with "the evil people in power have created a giant biological superweapon and it's out of control!"
Thats not how the movie ends at all though you micro-attention span having pleb.
>>
File: Red Desert.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2063) Image search: [Google]
Red Desert.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2063
I doubt they'll appreciate my real favorite movie so I tell them my favorite movie is Mean Girls.
>>
>>69732909
I assume you're being sarcastic since there's nothing remarkable about making hand-drawn animation in Japan.

Production-wise it's a pretty remarkable movie, but I can't say I enjoyed it proportional to its production quality. I think I would have preferred a more grounded racing movie. Or it could have been shorter with less extraneous story.
>>
To Live and Die in L.A.

I don't think they'd have the patience for it
>>
>>69733077
>>69732849
>>69732909

I think the coloring was also hand drawn, I could be wrong. Otherwise yeah it's not that impressive, aside for the cheer number of individual drawings that had to be made, anime is still for the most part hand drawn except for cleanups and coloring.
>>
>>69732909
>>69733238
could you just clarify what you mean by hand draw? i'm a bit confused as all anime is hand drawn.
>>
>>69731450
At least half of my favorite movies would fall into this category. I love classic films but none of my friends will watch anything made before the seventies.
>>
>>69733238
It was colored digitally.

It's not the amount of drawings that's impressive, it's the complexity of the drawings and animation. Anyone can make a lot of drawings given enough time.

>>69733361
The usual process is to draw the animation frames by hand and then color and composite them digitally. Sometimes animation is drawn on tablets but I don't think that's very common.
>>
>>69731450
Redbelt and before i disappear
A field in England
>>
>>69733053

If you're a girl will you please be my gf.
>>
>>69731450
This dude's hair tho

Also I try not to keep my pleb friends from being cultured, but there's a couple movies that are really more in-jokes amongst my film-loving friends.

Crank/Crank 2, for example, are me and this one guy's favorite movies to watch together. Never seen it or discussed it with any of my other friends
>>
>>69733488
I'm a boy but I'll be your gf anyway.
>>
>>69733361
All anime uses hand drawn animation in their process but not as before as they now rely on digital techniques. I have no idea if Redline was done the old school way with cels and no digital cleanup.

>>69733447
If that's the case I don't see what's the big deal with the 7 years hand drawn thing. The movie does look great but shit like Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, most Studio Ghibli films, or Ghost in the Shell look on par and they didn't take as long.
>>
File: 123123213.jpg (203 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
123123213.jpg
203 KB, 1280x720
I haven't met a single person under the age of 40 who knows about this film honestly
>>
>>69731993
>I WATCH REDLINE FOR THE STORY
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>69733238

>Besides its main extremely impressive achievement it wasn't anything special

Wow anon you must be fun at parties
>>
>>69733685
They didn't use cel animation. I expect the only cel animation that's made anymore is some experimental shorts. Cel animation was phased out after the turn of the century and is much more laborious, difficult, slower and limited than digital animation.

>If that's the case I don't see what's the big deal with the 7 years hand drawn thing.
A lot of complex and unorthodox animation with very detailed drawings. It was likely the vehicle animation that made it so time-consuming. Vehicles have never been drawn as much as characters, and today even less so when they're usually replaced with 3DCG. So there are not as many people who are skilled at drawing them.
>>
>>69733447
>The usual process is to draw the animation frames by hand and then color and composite them digitally.
i know and redline is no exception, which is why i want people to explain what they think hand drawn means and how redline is different from other anime because it's "hand drawn".

>Sometimes animation is drawn on tablets but I don't think that's very common.
it's still hand drawn if it's drawn on a tablet. the computer doesn't magically do the drawing for you.

>>69733685
>I have no idea if Redline was done the old school way with cels and no digital cleanup.
they might have done the rough animation on paper, but i think that's still the norm in japanese animation anyway. there's absolutely no way they used physical cels instead of colouring it on a computer though. it's not like film where at least for now there are still some things it has over digital. there would be no visual benefit to using physical cels over colouring it on a computer, it would just be more expensive and take longer.
>>
>>69733734

That's the movie I'd use to get people into "classic" films, if I had friends.
>>
>>69733734

Some movie nerd recommended this to us when I was a kid and having a movie night over at my aunt and uncle's. We ended up laughing through the whole thing. The terrible acting was hilarious. Only many years later did I watch it again for a film class and I couldn't focus on all the stuff I was supposed to because it's so fucking goodbad
>>
>>69731993
I always thought that was the joke. The race ends up being sidetracked with a massive kaiju fight which is then promptly dropped to focus back on the race again.
>>
File: 1348958729776.jpg (98 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
1348958729776.jpg
98 KB, 485x720
>>69734017
>it's still hand drawn if it's drawn on a tablet. the computer doesn't magically do the drawing for you.
begone shepard of lies, computers are the devil
>>
>>69734017
Redline isn't technically any different from anything else as far as I know.

>it's still hand drawn if it's drawn on a tablet. the computer doesn't magically do the drawing for you.
I know.
>>
>>69731450

>Movies that you love because your friends don't know that you exist
>>
>>69733685
Goat soundtrack too
>>
my friends only watch capeshit
>>
>>69733983
>It was likely the vehicle animation that made it so time-consuming.
This. You can get away with having a few refference angles for a character and flub the rest, but with something mechanical made up of hard planar surfaces then you have to take care to make it look right in any angle or it looks off.

Look at the intro for heavy metal. Its obviously rotoscoped from footage, but any time they rotate it looks goofy.

This is one of the things that set cowboy bebop apart, they had a whole team devoted to the animation of the ships.
>>
>>69736563
I wouldn't say that sets Bebop apart. There's quite a lot of anime with good vehicle animation.
>>
>>69732849
That's an impressive amount of work.
That still doesn't mean the result is necessarily good.
>>
>>69733734
You don't know many interesting people then, unfortunately.
>>
can we change this to films you dont tell your dad about because i dont have any friends
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.