[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of the hateful 8? I'm only halfway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 600x400
What do you guys think of the hateful 8? I'm only halfway through (1.5 hours holy fuck) and it's terrible. I don't care if you "spoil" it

>We say nigger a lot, so authentic and edgy XD
>>
I liked it
>>
masterpiece
>>
I think it was great
it felt like a play to me in a really good way
>>
>>69722952

It was pretty good.

The extra 17 minutes of extra-wide shots didn't really add anything and the reveal at the end was pretty disappointing.
>>
>>69722952
It's a who dunnit mystery where every answer is the right answer so you don't have to actually think that hard about what you're watching but oh man that tarantino sure can write him some dialogue amirite?
>>
>>69723454
>>69723469
>>69723500
>>69723613
I don't even know what's going on anymore because I stopped paying attention :/

Everybody got shot and then there was a flashback and everybody got shot again :|
>>
>>69723763

you should feel bad if you cant follow the simple ass plot
payafuckingtention
>>
>>69723795
There's a difference between can't and didn't

And Channing faggot Tatum literally just explained it to the old man so I'm all caught up now
>>
>>69723832

the just don't watch it f you hate it so much
holy shit
>>
It can almost trick you into thinking that it's setting up an interesting and relatively complex web of motivations and character dynamics, but then it shits the bed and reminds you that Tarantino cannot actually write anything interesting and relatively complex. It has absolutely nothing to say either in narrative, theme, or even aesthetically (past mimicking other things), and it takes three hours to do it. That flashback chapter being the worst example, as the sole piece of meaningful information you gain from it is Bruce Dern's place in the setup, which could have been given a single line or something rather than a 15 minute Tarantino-ism circlejerk devoid of any suspense because you know from the first second exactly how it's going to play out. I guess underage or manchildren who didn't grow up and out of his style when they graduated from hs like everyone else could still like it
>>
>>69723916
It's almost over, it's fine bro. I didn't know Quentin Tarantino was your boyfriend, relax

It got a little better, the first half was just boring and there was nothing to care about
>>
>>69723975
>It got a little better, the first half was just boring and there was nothing to care about

Confirmed for huge fucking pleb, it went downhill, not up.
>>
>>69722952
>stopping half way through a movie to post on /tv/

Go back to /v/.
>>
>>69724021
Not really, it's all cornball bullshit. At least things are happening now

>I like actors saying boring, uninteresting things in the same cadence for an hour and half

Wow so batrishun bro O.O u r very cool and sophisticated
>>
>>69724083
Why do you think I stopped? I have my iPad and posting as I watch it. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>69722952
Boring as fuck and terrible. I used to like tarantino but he lost it
>>
Tarantino is good at building suspense and then drawing it out the little extra. But then when what follows just doesn't live up to the tension built, it just get that more disappointing. After the excellent slow buildup, it all feels like a waste of time when it all dropped in the second half.
>>
>>69723968
>It has absolutely nothing to say either in narrative, theme, or even aesthetically (past mimicking other things), and it takes three hours to do it.

You're right. Other than some heavy handed racial politics, the movie had nothing to say. I kept waiting for it to get clever but it didn't. You're wrong about his other films though - there's a maturity to his 90s films that's nonexistent in almost all of his 21st century films. No one needs to 'outgrow' Pulp Fiction. Just because 15 year olds like it doesn't mean it isn't a genuinely great film. In narrative, themes and characters, Pulp Fiction is infinitely better than The Hateful Eight in every way.
>>
>>69724109
Hope you're b8ing.
>>
>>69724238
Why? The movie is shit, I'm just finishing it because I sunk an hour and a half into it already. Let me guess, you're one of those faggots who gets triggered by Apple huh?
>>
>>69724288
I think you're baiting, but anyway, it's impossible to judge the merits of a movie when you're on an ipad while watching.
>>
Really strange film when I saw it in the cinema. I really enjoyed it but there were long stretches where I was pretty bored and yet still engaged. The big black dingus shit was retarded though
>>
>>69724466
True I guess. But I was completely past caring about the movie once I started posting. All of the dialogue was just annoying and tiresome and I wasn't interested in any of the characters or story. Just felt like rehashed and uninspired Tarantino with all of the token Tarantinoisms phoned in so people could pretend it's still good, instead of actually being interesting or good

This is all just my opinion of course
>>
>>69724087
>At least things are happening now
You sound like a total retard. Go watch Transformers Revenge of the Fallen.

I don't even like The Hateful Eight that much, I just find your edginess so grating.
>>
>>69724676
The whole movie was shit m8. Deal with it. I've explained why in other posts, now stop being a semen slurping faggot who thinks he has good taste please. If you think there was anything redeeming in the movie, the first half especially, then you're retarded
>>
>>69722952
it was alright, not his best but the black dingus scene was so fucked up i was rooting for him up until then
>>
Everyone got so up in arms about the big black johnson scene that they failed to realize that this is the ultimate red-pill movie.

What happens at the end?

A black man and a white man who come from completely polar opposite backgrounds with completely polar opposite life experiences and worldviews put aside their differences to kill an ornery cunt of a woman.
>>
>>69724819
if anything that's liberal.
>>
>>69724851
?
>>
The worst thing about his films is his need to feature in them. His narration mid film was jarring, I can't stand his faggot voice
>>
>>69724875
trying to convince us that we should all work together? that we're all the same?
>>
>>69724926
...except women
>>
>>69724941
just murdering psychopath ones
>>
File: js.webm (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
js.webm
99 KB, 1280x720
laughed t b h
>>
>>69725071

I hope you didn't make that webm
>>
>>69725129
totally did famalam, got it here and blew it the fuck up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8uOeDS3rQs
>>
My issue with the movie is he didn't leave up anything for interpretation. He had to spell every single thing out. For a movie inspired by The Thing, he really fucked up the suspense. It all went wrong right at the middle.

There's the middle bit after the intermission where they spell out "someone poisoned the coffee" which could of been realized literally 10m later.

The flashback to how the bad gang got there wasn't necessary at all, as you find out they're all together anyways, again like 10m later. All he needed to do here if he really wanted to spell it out in a smart way was do slow cutbacks to the 'hints' (the candy, corpses, etc.) at the end of the movie during credits roll.'

Then there was more spelling out in the character dialogue, they could've played it a bit with maybe 1 character not saying he's with the gang and betraying later or something, but instead you know who all the bad guys are relatively quickly after the guy in the floor gets shot.
>>
Tarantino just did a western, and another fake history movie before that. If he comes up with a premise that sounds interesting and paces it better than Lawrence of Arabia I'll watch it. Until then, he's on my no theatre no buy list.
>>
>>69725669
It was obvious fucking Madsen wasnt who he claimed to be retard.
He isn't fit for the role, probably had to change the script a couple times until it became less ridiculous.

I saw people laughing in the kinotheque when he delivered his lines and his "backstory".
>>
literally carried by Goggins and JJL
>>
literally his finest creation
>>
Fun fact: Tarantino's last good flick was Jacky Brown.
>>
>>69727516
Good film but it's probably a bit boring for these fagots with attention disorders
>>
I liked the ending, where two people completely at odds with one another have work together because they've been dealt a bad hand.
I also loved the almost horror-like attention to the various murders.
>>
>>69722952
>What do you guys think of the hateful 8? I'm only halfway through (1.5 hours holy fuck) and it's terrible. I don't care if you "spoil" it
>We say nigger a lot, so authentic and edgy XD

This is the guy kind of animal that has been welcomed on /tv/. If you are not of them yourself- and by the number of replies like everything's fine, the majority seems to be- people like that and their threads should always cause strong disgust
>>
>>69727889
fresh off the boat eh?
>>
>>69727959
Nice false flag, cancer
>>
OP wears velcro shoes
>>
>>69724819
I hated the big black Johnson scene because It's fucking retarded and sums up Tarantino as a manchild
>>
It feels like a parody of a Tarantino film
>>
>plebs who don't give their full attention to a film until after the credits have rolled
Truly the worst fucking type of cancer
>>
>>69722952

It was good.

Saw it a the roadshow screening. One of the best presentations I've seen in awhile and it looked stunning.

Sort of confirms something I've noticed since Kill Bill though - Or maybe I'm crazy - But has Tarantino's writing gone down in quality as his directing has gone up?

I mean, it was a fun script, but contained a lot of dead weight - I don't mean fun diversions - but literally just dead weight. I thought it was better than a lot of what was in Kill Bill or Django, but it still felt like he's lost the touch a bit.

Anyway, aside from the directing I thought the performances were fucking great. Especially from Walton Goggins. That was honestly Best Supporting Actor tier work.
>>
>>69728337
Aye. Surprised more anons didn't call the OP out on his cancer.
>>
Absolutely loved it.
>>
>>69728407

Oh, and there were a couple of things I found really lacking - The flashback seemed completely redundant and actually robbed the ending of some tension, and I thought he would have found a more clever way to use Mannix's shady backstory about being the sheriff to let him have the advantage over Daisy at the end, but instead it was just boom boom boom. Kind of a letdown. Really could have used a bit of a polish there.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 512x287) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 512x287
>>69724926

>implying people from different backgrounds can't exchange ideas and views and work together to combat a greater evil and eventually befriend each other

Your political bias is showing.
>>
>>69728407
Tarantino has full creative control now that he didn't have in the 90s where he had to fight for actors and scenes. There are a lot of examples of directors who's work declines as they gain more control. Some filmmakers need producers to keep them in check.
>>
>>69725669

Part of me thinks the Big Black Dingus scene was either a lie fabricated to trigger the confederates father.
>>
>>69725669

This gets to what I was saying here about the flashback and the ending >>69728470

The flashback should have been left out. And we have Mannix in a room full of liars claiming he's the incoming Sheriff, yet has a shady history with a Confederate Outfit - and they didn't really bring that into play when Daisy said she had a gang waiting/coming from town. They could have done a more Thing like conclusion with that. Felt a little underwhelming for it to just be shooting.

Still - Great seeing such a solid cast. His last couple were hampered by sticking in Leo and Brad Pitt (and most of the Basterds).
>>
>>69728524

Also having all of them be in on it was a little meh. Madsen especially.

>>69728507

Sort of. Like I said, his directing just keeps getting better and better, when earlier on he was seen as sort of flat (comparatively speaking) but a great writer. His writing now feels a little flat and his directing feels great.

I think the biggest disappointment in his career was the LACK of creative control over Kill Bill.

It's probably his best script, and individual parts of both films are 10/10, but the hatchet job the Weinsteins had to do on it to make it more commercial really ruined the film. I wish he could just go back and somehow reshoot a lot of that and cut it into the existing film.
>>
>>69722952
ABRAHAM LINCOLN?
>>
its his best film since pulp fiction
>>
>>69728744
Actually it's his worst since Four Rooms
>>
>>69722952
It was 10/10 right up until the intermission

Then it went to shit
>>
>>69729175
>It was 10/10 right up until the intermission
Like totally, right? So fucking epic
>>
>>69728659

You're doing it wrong. It's EYYY-BRUH-HEM LINKAN?
>>
>>69727516
>this meme again

when will /tv/ stop being so contrarian?
>>
>>69724221
Pulp Fiction might be better, but it's still nothing more than a really stylized callback to French Cinema. It's an entertaining story with cool writing, almost semi-interesting characters, and has definitely had a hand in influencing later 90's and early 00's cinema - but that's about where the list ends.

It's fine to like it, but it's an entertaining flick/movie with nothing much to say about anything.
>>
the surprise tatum thing ruined it for me, but for the most part I enjoyed it. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.
>>
>>69722952
it the best film of the year
>>
>>69722952
The movie turns great at the 1.8 hours point.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.