[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why the new Ghostbusters seems to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
Can someone explain to me why the new Ghostbusters seems to be so vehemently defended by a certain crowd despite it containing one of the most egregiously insulting racist caricatures Ive seen in YEARS.
>>
>>69696590
White feminists don't give two shits about black people.
>>
ITT ignorant white nerds who aren't aware of Tyler Perry and any number of other black media
>>
in what way is she a racist caricature
>>
>>69696697
Ha ha she looks like a gorilla liberals are so raciss.
>>
>>69696697
>AW HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NAW
>>
I need to make a version of that "two buttons meme" with an alt-right fedora sweating over

>black people really are like that
and
>it's a false stereotype they should be offended by
>>
>>69696590
Leftists don't actually care about black people. They treat them like pets, completely self-assure that they know what's best for everyone.
>>
>>69696590
I got it, Hollywood live of our hate.
>>
They're just reactionary and go against the popular opinion that the new movie sucks for the sake of fighting against progress.
>>
>>69696777
Trips comfirm
>>
feminists just use LGBT/BLM shit as a shield to get at white men, and when they don't need it anymore they throw it away
>>
>>69696734
That's not a caricature. They actually say that.
>>
>>69696590

But that's what black people are really like.
>>
strong sassy black woman is a positive stereotype and positive means good so its good
>>
>>69696697

the only black one in the group is not a scientist but is a street smart sassy woman who works in a low paid job, knows new york, and says stuff like "AWH HELL NAWH"
>>
Libtards are the most discriminatory people on the planet, why do you think all these white liberal kids feel they need to stand up for black people or whatever? They don't think black people or x other group can do anything themselves.
>>
>>69696697
>AW HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>THE POWER OF XXXXX COMPELS YOU!!!!!!!!
Also
>She is the only poor
>She is the only NON scientist of the group
>She even mentions they are smarter than her

In the second trailer she jumps from a music stage and people let her fall in the floor, she mentions
>I don't know of it's a race thing or a heavy lady thing, but I'm mad!!!!!!
>>
>>69696877

So, she's the most realistic character in the movie?
>>
File: 1463462567184.png (388 KB, 453x654) Image search: [Google]
1463462567184.png
388 KB, 453x654
>>69696758
>>
>>69696758
The difference being of course that one side never claims to actually care about stereotypes.
>>
>>69698015
>>69696758
The problem is more along the lines of
>Racism is always bad
>Positive racist stereotypes exist
>>
>>69696590
It's only defended by ideologues. They are essentially zealots.

They defend this movie for the same functional reason why Christians defend Jesus or Muslims defend Allah when someone mocks them. Pure blind dedication to their in-group.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sWTq8woF0&
>>
>>69698369
The problem is and always has been how stereotypes are presented. Pretty much everyone likes a bit of stereotypical humor directed at them -- Canadians (mostly) enjoy South Park dissing them, Aussies (mostly) enjoyed Bart vs. Australia, we (mostly) enjoy our burgers n' blondes portrayal by the Japs, chick-coms often have self-deprecating Debbie characters, blacks eat up stereotypical shit all the time (see Tyler Perry movies), etc. etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 384x384
>>
>>69696905
>I don't know if it's a race thing or a heavy lady thing, but I'm mad!
So the black one is the racist, she's the first one to bring up racism when her other option is a perfectly reasonable reason to not try to catch someone.
>>
>>69698944
That's the joke, moron. They didn't catch her because she's fat, and her first reaction is either sexism or racism. It's literally self-deprecating humor about how their minds always go there. Why the fuck are you triggered by this?
>>
>>69696590
Black anon here.

You grow to ignore it, really.

Tyler Perry, "hip, diverse" token blacks, they're all the same blunt, ignorant swipe at "being black" made by people whose moral fiber ends where their bottom lines begin.

I've come to learn that the loudest voices against racism just have their own brand of it. They believe it's the white (wo)man's burden to speak for helpless, dumb minorities who don't understand how hard they really have it.

I don't even associate myself with black entertainment -- hell, not even really black entertainers. I feel like either the black demographic as a whole is thoroughly retarded for these things to keep selling, or this sort of image in media is all some huge in-joke I was never told about.

P.S, I get called an Uncle Tom on the regular around other black people; 90% of my friends are white.
>>
>>69699141
because that isn't humor, there is no joke. She is an actual racist and being portrayed that way. I really don't see a joke there.

The fact that you (and I'm assuming the writers) think its a joke is actually a pretty funny joke, in the same way comedies are just tragedies cut short.
>>
>>69699168
One of my saddest memories from school was seeing a black kid being made fun of by other blacks. They were saying he was acting white because he got good grades and listened to the teachers.
>>
>>69699305
Just replace "other blacks" with "Chads" and "acting white" with "acting uncool" and you have most of us in grade school as well, though.
>>
File: leslie Jones.png (326 KB, 646x567) Image search: [Google]
leslie Jones.png
326 KB, 646x567
Sure they left the hat out but I think they did a good job this time around.
>>
>>69699281
It's not high humor, but it's humor. It's the "oh hey I recognize that" laugh you can get from people who have experienced similar. Most blacks have experienced enough casual racism in their lives that they've caught themselves seeing racism where it was actually something else.
>>
>>69698944
>this movie
>thinking they'd write a "blacks are so paranoid about racism!" joke
the movie is self-parodying but not intentionally
>>
>>69699494
That's exactly what that gag was, though.
>>
File: lol.png (34 KB, 123x200) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
34 KB, 123x200
>>69699281
>she's racist and paranoid for expecting racism from others
>he says in a thread of white people posting gorilla pics as analogies for black people
You literally can't make this up.
>>
>>69699481
So if I have a seen in a movie where me and the buddy of the buddy comedy are about to tip the pizza man and the buddy (who is black) asks why I'm giving him a tip and I say "its because I'm not a filthy nigger" its just humor, just a funny joke everyone should get because everyone knows black people tip poorly?

Sounds more like overt racism trying to cover itself as a joke. or not even trying to cover, just being racism and telling others its a joke when it wasn't and there was no joke, just racism.

but this is 4chan so I'm sure I should be posting more pictures of gorillas.

>>69699726
>he says in a thread...
try again.
>>
>>69699726
>it's fair to expect racism all the time in real life, just look at the posts on this Vietnamese erotic comics forum
>>
>>69699786
You must literally be autistic if you can't tell the difference between friendly-but-self-deprecating stereotypes and hurtful ones.

>try again.
No need. There's a reason black people are hair-trigger about expecting racism and /tv/ is just another example. Same with how nerds are hair-trigger about expecting bitchiness from women because they have PTSD from the girls in grade school.
>>
>>69699987
Where is the seperation from friendly-but-self-deprecating stereotypes and harmful ones to you? Heres where the doublethink comes in, you expect me to see it as friendly bantz when its just a pitiful person openly being pitiful, and blaming it on everyone else just because she should 'expect racism from others'.

I am the demographic this movie is trying to pander to hardcore and this simple scene has put me off the movie, more than I was to begin with.
>>
>>69700225
>where is the clearly-defined boundary on this emotional and subjective matter
>this one thing put me off the entire movie
Yep, definitely autistic.
>>
>>69700225
It's not friendly bantz because she fucking agreed to say it, moron. Might have even been her that wrote it.
>>
>>69700331
>this one thing put me off the entire movie
>autistic

Plenty of people have been put off movies (or anything in general) based off a single aspect.
>what is the Myst

>>69700380
>she agreed to say it, it might even have been her that wrote it.
okay, so its the actor or writer that is the racist and not the character, got it.
>>
>>69700526
Plenty of autists, yes.

Of course it's racist. But it's not hurtful racist and it's not "bantz". Have you lost track of the conversation that quickly?
>>
>>69696590

Cognitive dissonance

Zealots are zealots, if they were reasonable, intelligent, objective thinking people that could process multiple viewpoints and identify their own hypocrisy they wouldn't be zealots.

In this case it's a bunch of left wing authoritarian culture-warriors that need women to be featured in high profile media and they need it to be viewed positively, so they are working as hard as they can to try and either make it appear like nothing is wrong, or attack those that dislike it as having an anti-woman agenda. Their ego's are now tied into the film so if it fails they feel like failures, but if it succeeds they feel successful. It's the kind of high that sports fans ride on a weekly basis.
>>
>>69698443
>>69700747
plz respond
>>
File: PAO.jpg (33 KB, 283x604) Image search: [Google]
PAO.jpg
33 KB, 283x604
>>69696590
>>
>>69700775
What do you need?
>>
>plz respond
>>69698443 (YOU)
>>69700775 (YOU)
>>69700747 (YOU)
>>
File: ch2.png (1 MB, 865x721) Image search: [Google]
ch2.png
1 MB, 865x721
May I remind you of this gem? (first 12 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFWBxHh5IwE

nothing against the movie btw, many enjoyable scenes (although little makes sense) loved Chris Evans in this (and Ed Harris and John Hurt)
>>
>>69701436
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl_o0psoAg4
>>
>>69696675
UNDERRATED
>>
>>69696697
'I aint no scientist but I know NUYAWKK!'
>>
>>69696675
Tyler perry media is panned as garbage by the black people I know, though.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.