[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>kubrick makes a style-over-substance film >universal praise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: only_god_forgives_ver8_xlg.jpg (489 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
only_god_forgives_ver8_xlg.jpg
489 KB, 1500x1125
>kubrick makes a style-over-substance film
>universal praise

>refn makes a style-over-substance film
>panned by critics

there is NO DIFFERENCE between Only God Forgives and 2001: A Space Odyssey
>>
>>69654416
I agree
>>
>>69654416
If you say so :).
>>
yes there is, only god forgives is good
>>
>>69654416
They're was substance in 2001, you just didn't get it :)
>>
Critics mean nothing these days.

I'll bet only God Forgives would have done better if refn and gosling didn't apologize and act like cucks once people started complaining
>>
We had this thread last week and everyone agreed it was a shitpost
>>
:)
>>
>>69654416
I thought you'd say clockwork orange
>>
>>69654416
I thought 2001 wasn't as well received when it was released?
>>
Waa I need critics to agree with me to feel validated!!!
>>
>>69654718
i think OP is saying that critics don't matter
>>
>>69654631
Clockwork Orange was pure Substancekino though, not Stylekino.
>>
>>69654416

no one hates only god forgives. people that do just haven't taken the time to understand it. i saw it on here getting compared to 2001 a lot and i can see what people mean. refn is like a updated version of stanley kubrick, hes like kubrick but better in some ways. kubrick has good shots like refn and has stories which you have to interpret like refn but refn tells his stories better i think. also refn gets to work with really good actors which kubrick wasn't lucky enough too. imagine clockwork orange with ryan gosling. wow. i think ogf is far better than 2001 from what i have seen because ogf deals with strong universal theme about higher powers and what it means to be human and stuff while 2001 was just about going to space. i bet kubrick would have loved to collaborate with refn and refn could have taught him some cool stuff like how to make his shots more impactful and emotional and techniques like symbolism and good use of music.
>>
>>69654819
This
>>
2001 is one of the most innovative and influential films of all time. It has absolutely god-tier production design, set, design, special effects, visuals and soundtrack. It set the standard for every sci-fi film that followed, and it pretty much hasn't been surpassed.

Only God Forgives has none of these things. For the record I actually liked OGF, but comparing it to 2001 is dumb.
>>
File: stfu.gif (946 KB, 488x332) Image search: [Google]
stfu.gif
946 KB, 488x332
>>69654495
>I'm a pleb
>>
Is this movie supposed to have subtitles or am I supposed to feel lost whenever someone speaks korean?
>>
>>69654949
>He didn't learn Korean before watching the movie to fully immerse himself
Jesus Christ, THESE are the people I have to share this board with.
>>
>>69654819
>because ogf deals with strong universal theme about higher powers and what it means to be human and stuff while 2001 was just about going to space.
You can't possibly be this thick. Jesus christ.
>>
>>69654988
You shouldn't meme like that anon. Some poor 14 year old American will spedn 2 years learning korean to become patrician only to sit down to watch the movie and realise it's in thai.
>>
>>69654416
It's an indie art house about honors and suchi
>>
>>69654416
Having an IQ below 80 doesn't mean there's no substance in a movie.
>>
FMJ and Clockwork Orange had narration to help people make sense of the movie
>>
>>69655251
>narration

Narration immediately disqualifies a movie from being Kino unless it's the director personally doing narration. Also the director can't be doing story related narration, but has to simply be talking about how he felt during the filming of the particular scene.
>>
>>69655251
2001 was going to have narration
>>
>>69655251
>>69655350
ITT:
>hey let's see how retarded we can make our opinions
>okay I'll start
>>
>>69654416
I like Only God Forgives and think 2001 is generally overrated, but 2001 has way more substance than style. Reading the first part of your post I was expecting you to compare Barry Lyndon with OGF.

>>69654558
Yeah, I agree. But Refn is such a little beta manchild that would never happen. Too bad too, because OGF is great.
>>
only thing worse are those damn substance over style films i swear
>>
Theres a big difference

Only God Forgives was actually good.
>>
>>69654416
2001 required vision. I could walk into a random boi-pussy bar in bangkok tomorrow with some colorful lights and glittery shit and remake a set from ogf.
>>
File: Only-God-Forgives-003.jpg (248 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Only-God-Forgives-003.jpg
248 KB, 1920x1080
OGF = 10/10

this is not a movie to watch with your parents or your gay little friends

only true patricians can appreciate this film
>>
>>69657952
>>69658035
this

OGF is kino of the purest form. 2001 is fresh off the reddit top films
>>
Really great movie. My then-gf wanted to give me head in the theatre but I stopped her when I realised it was a great movie she should watch.
I regret it though
>>
>>69654638
Yeah, it got mixed reviews, just like Vertigo, Rules of the Game and many other movies that are now considered among the greatest of all time.
Great movies usually get mixed reviews even though they will be considered masterpieces later, recent examples would be Only God Forgives and Batman v Superman.
>>
>Refn plebs still exist

stop this
>>
>>69658944
I'm still waiting for the BvS ultimate cut. Blade Runner was a similar case, where the theatrical cut wasn't very good but some of it's genius still shone through, and of course the final cut turned out to be a master piece.
>>
>>69654416
it was cheesy and bad. fight me anon.
>>
>>69654416
TAKE IT OFFF L;KASL;;LKJSDALK;FSADL;KFLAKJ;ZSDFLJK;DSALKJ;F
>>
>>69654924
so what did you like 2001?Meaning or visuals, or both?
>>
The reason you see movies like Only God Forgives get shit on is because this board is literally plebeians. It isn't even a question anymore, it's pseudo-intellectual fucktards who like game of thrones and pretty girls because they're teenage faggots.

The fact that there is no Bates Motel thread could not prove this board's poor taste any more clearly.
>>
>>69654759
>Substancekino
Jesus Christ....
>>
>>69654759
kek
>>
File: 0ciNZa2.gif (746 KB, 420x236) Image search: [Google]
0ciNZa2.gif
746 KB, 420x236
>>69659833
whyd he raise his voice
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.