[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fmg/- Filmmaking General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: FMG.jpg (19 KB, 620x310) Image search: [Google]
FMG.jpg
19 KB, 620x310
I've been wondering recently about how we have a world of resources at our disposal, a wealth of information and years of film to look back on, and yet teenagers still use that shallow depth-of-field meme, and make unoriginal melodramatic bullshit involving suicide or car crashes or love or some shit like that.

It really fucking bugs me, how you can go through the entirety of production and not a single person says "Hey, guys, does it feel like this has been done before?" This complete lack of creative/artistic vision, anything even remotely resembling an original thought.

Post your work and discuss upcoming projects, and all that.
>>
Teenagers just have nothing to say yet, they haven't lived life. I'm trying to figure out if I should even pursue filmmaking given that I'm not liberal. I feel like the only way you can make it now is by playing up your liberalism to the max and that's just not something I'm willing to do.
>>
>>69654376
>I feel like the only way you can make it now is by playing up your liberalism to the max and that's just not something I'm willing to do.
Keep your head up! There are many good non liberal filmmakers out there. What matter the most is your love for the medium.
>>
I've thought about this a little. I think the main problem is that when you're a teenager/young adult, the things you have direct awareness of & access to are

-your own stupid teenage life
-movies
-movies about stupid teenage life

so what you see tends to be unoriginal because the only real knowledge you have is, one way or another, derivative in itself -- even if you made a movie that was 100% about your own unique experiences, unless you happened to live a genuinely exceptional life it would still be nothing that everyone hasn't already seen

if film students spent less time watching last year's indie festival movies and more time watching niche documentaries and reading random wikipedia pages you'd probably get a lot more interesting stuff. I'd rather watch a movie about the daily life of a random person working in the canadian oil sands or whatever than another hundred movies about some sad artsy fuck in brooklyn
>>
>>69654269
Dude. You posted this yesterday. Why try to talk about the same bullshit topic of teens being into teens things as opposed to the actual art of filmmaking.
>>
>>69654376
How about pulling your head out of your rectum and realizing the world doesn't revolve around a liberal/conservative dichotomy.
>>
>>69655287
I don't think the world does but I think Hollywood definitely does.
>>
>>69655167
Feel free to discuss anything filmmaking. That's what /fmg/ is for.
>>
File: 1461824506140.jpg (983 KB, 1969x2921) Image search: [Google]
1461824506140.jpg
983 KB, 1969x2921
>>69654269
It's not because something has been done before that therefor it's not good. Just look at Avatar, commercially it was a great succes even though it's almost a copy of Fern Gully.

Personally I think the love and suicide films students make should be seen as exercises to get better at filmmaking. I've made a couple of films before and with some of them I cringe and think why the hell did I do that.

Also, consider the following: boring lives equals boring films. One of my teachers brought this up. The best films you'll make are about stuff you have experienced yourself. For instance a movie about gang violence made by some upper class rich person won't be as touching as someone who's lived in one of those neighborhoods. Some students just need to go out and see what life sends their way.
>>
>>69654376
thank god you're not making films. you sound like a Glenn Beck idolising idiot.
>>
>>69655424
Hollywood just makes what's popular for the moment. It's not Hollywood that's pushing all the PC stuff, it's just that they hop on the bandwagon to get their,demographics up. All the diversity stuff they're doing now is commercially a great way to get more people to the theater.

>asian tumblrinas asking about where all the asians are in Star Wars
>the anwser "You'll see them in the next movie"
>>
Where can I learn the principles of film making?
>>
Post the synopsis of one of your films (and the URL if you want) and other anons tell you if your movie sounds interesting. I'll begin:

Ruben has been trapped in his cellar after an unknown epidemic has swept the region. It has been 2 months since he saw other human life. After hearing gunfire and airplanes flying over he is visited by the weird and mysteries Sylvester who wants him to go the a camp in the next town over.

https://vimeo.com/67466868

I basically did everything myself, the only other people involved with this are my friends acting. Bear with me if the translation looks weird.
>>
I animated a short film recently. It got a Vimeo Staff Pick and won some festival awards. I'm about to start working on a new project. Hopefully this will be better and I hope it will be easier to get people to watch it now that I've got some followers on Vimeo.
>>
>>69658421
To start of you should just get yourself a handbook about filmmaking. If you can read Dutch then you can read Roemer Lievaarts book on it. There are also some youtube channels you can watch like Filmmaker IQ https://www.youtube.com/user/FilmmakerIQcom or if you want to go deeper you have EveryFrameAPainting https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting who analyzes films pretty interesting stuff but don't take everything as facts when you're watching those.
>>
>>69658920
Congratulations anon! But please post the video anon, I want to see it!
>>
>>69658421
If you want to learn about scriptwriting, read a book about it or look up the basics of the three act structure on the web, then start listening to the Scriptnotes podcast.

>>69659046
Thank you! I'm not gonna post it on 4chan though, sorry. It didn't really have a good plot or anything, but I guess the animation was ok.
>>
>>69659000
EFAP is overrated.

I recommend the black gentleman D4Darious
>>
File: Story Of Film_ticket.jpg (32 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Story Of Film_ticket.jpg
32 KB, 500x282
>>69659000
also there is a great documentary by Mark Cousins about the history of film called: Story of Film An Odyssey
>>
>>69661230
Stupid as fuck. could you imagine what would happen in a reasonable world of you trying to explain your shit meme to the little girl taking this picture? About to go shoot another episode or whatever, palm trees, warm weather, chilling on set.. some sheltered vitamin-d deficient loser messages you up outta nowhere: "s-so, you know Reddit right?" she just looks in confusion at your useless ass "well so 4chan's TV board is like a offshoot of Reddit, and it supposed to be much better!" she starts shit-talking you in her head, giving you weird looks "a-and we idolize little girls because all the adult females we knew were already taken" you start sweating as you realize what a goddamn mistake it was trying to explain your cancerous meme to real-live human beings with existences far more fulfilling than yours. you go home and sit in staring mode realizing what an unfunny joke you have become. realizing how no one with anything going for themselves gives a shit about your meme minutia. consider taking it to your grave next time instead of sharing this garbage. faggot.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.