[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (146 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg
146 KB, 300x450
What went wrong?
>>
>>69626466
The story and the characters are some of the worst problems with this film
>>
Nothing. Best Star Wars movie.
>>
its the 3rd best star wars movie
>>
Everything. The list is too huge.
>>
>>69626466
Characters with no character
No main character
Shit actors
No backstory
No bad guy for most of it
Too complicated

Not many agree on the last point, but I tell movies to my daughter as bedtime stories and she loves Star Wars.
You can talk through the main points of ep4 in 15 minutes.
With ep1 you're still explaining what a trade agreement and a blockade is.
>>
>>69626636
Well the prequels are about the downfall of a republic, you kind of have to get political with that.
Which suggests that it's not a story worth telling.
>>
>>69626636
>Characters with no character
It's mostly Qui Gon, Obi-Wan, and Padme who have this problem

>No main character
If anything, it's too many main characters

>Shit actors
Blame the writing

>No backstory
>What is EU

>No bad guy for most of it
Darth Vader was only in the original Star Wars for like 5 minutes

>Too complicated
Not really, it's just a little messy is all
>>
>>69626466

It actively contradicts the original trilogy, sets up a new trilogy on a foundation of sand and bullshit, and utterly wastes Obi Wan and establishes Anakin as the worst child actor ever.

Essentially while it had some good ideas and some good effects for the time it set the prequel trilogy up for failure.
>>
>>69626873
>Darth Vader was only in the original Star Wars for like 5 minutes
Yes but 3 of those were right at the beginning. He was an established bad guy right from the start, onscreen with the princess, it doesn't matter that he wasn't on screen for the rest of it, you knew he was out there.

In ep1 it was after the half way point before the good guys met Maul.
>>
>>69627145
Because he works from the shadows, like some kind of menacing phantom.
>>
>>69627199
>he works from the shadows, like some kind of menacing phantom.
That would be Jar Jar
>>
>>69626466
George Lucas finally got to use all his shitty ideas that were cut out of the first movie.
He also didn't bother to edit the script. It sounds like exposition, not dialog.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>69626466
A generation of men raised by women.
>>
I forget, what kind of diner was it and whom was the owner?
>>
>>69626791
I think it's possible to tell that political story in-between a simple hero tale.

One example they got right is
>we need to rescue the queen before they make her sign the treatise

To a 5yo that's just
>hero rescue fairytale princess

I spent a long time thinking of similar ways to link the major plot points together when I was watching them with my daughter. I cant remember what I came up with right now but there are similar solutions for a lot of it.

I was so happy after ep2 when my 5yo daughter turned to me and asked "is palpatine a baddie?"
>>
>>69626466

There's this one picture Jake Lloyd in which he loos like the embodiment of Sith. Like holy shit that awful childhood actually did make him evil
>>
George went a little to far in some places
>>
>>69626466
nothing really people where just nitpicking
>>
>>69627260
Sheev does, and that's fine, but you still need some shit up in the hero's grill.
>>
>>69626466

it was made
>>
>>69626466
In all seriousness? Just Jar Jar.

The rest is great.
>>
>>69626466

in a word - midichlorians.
>>
>>69626466
you mean what went right?

>>69626919
it surpasses the original meme trilogy

thank you based lucas for making OT shitters mad
>>
>>69629440
that's one vivid imagination you have there
>>
>>69630605
>imagination
it's true

all of it
>>
>>69626466
You got old.
>>
>>69630898
I only enjoyed the prequels more as I got older and grew to dislike the OT and the culture surrounding it

an amazing time to like star wars for prequel fans. I feed on my cynicism and disregard towards anything disney
>>
>>69626466
>four years after the Plinkett review
>people are still asking this
>>
[Insert opinion from Plinkett review here.]
>>
>>69631075
I was about 7 when the Prequel Trilogy came out.

I grew up with the OT and was a big fan. I experienced all 6 of the George Lucas movies during my childhood.

The Prequel Trilogy to me was better at Star Wars in every way. Star Wars to me was this imaginative super cool sci fi world of grand scale and alien experiences. The Prequel Trilogy took all of my expectations and imaginations as a child and blew it out of proportion. You had sprawling alien planets and futuristic cities. Mystical Jedis who were the coolest combination of ninja, samurai, knight, wizard, and monk. You had giant futuristic machines of war. Strange aliens. Such an expansive expanded universe.

Of course the acting wasn't top notch. Jar Jar was stupid. There were ridiculous and chessy moments galore.

But the nostalgiafags of the OT gloss over the subpar acting of the Original Trilogy and the cheesy silliness of the Ewoks. They gloss over the campy parts of The Empire Strikes back. The absolutely god awful fight scenes. The boring environments like the overused desert. The crappy costumes and dolls that did not age well.

A lot of the same criticisms exist for both trilogies but those things really aren't what make Star Wars stick in our minds. The movies aren't really about amazing writing and characterization. It's always been something that captured our imagination and took us on a ride through a never before seen world of huge imaginative proportion.

With the new Disney movie, the OT nostalgiafags got what they wanted. They got literally the 4th movie all over again. That's the problem with listening to them. They are so afraid of change when really pushing the boundaries is what made Star Wars great. Fans of the OT can bitch all they want but before the PT, no one but George could have pushed the the special effects and imagination of science fantasy forward by the kinds of leaps and bounds that George did. The influence is impossible to gauge.
>>
>>69631870
>Campy parts of The Empire Strikes Back

The only thing I can even think of that could qualify as "Camp" is Yoda fucking with R2 on Dagobah, which was supposed to be funny.
>>
Someone listened to 90s percentile today
>>
>>69632142
Not that guy you replied to, but there's some of that "space-speak", especially in the Hoth infirmiary. Nerf-herder, etc...

It's a relief when they get to Lando, who just speaks like a normal person.

>Hey Chewbacca, you still hanging out with this loser?

I guess cool guy Billy Dee wouldn't put up with that dialogue...
>>
File: natalie-portman.png (251 KB, 343x726) Image search: [Google]
natalie-portman.png
251 KB, 343x726
>>69626466
D R O P P E D
>>
>>69629440
I don't know if this is pasta or not but whoever wrote it is spot on.
>>
>>69633753
there are people on here who spend all day posting pics of their waifus feet. There are literally people on here who post all the time sexually provocative pics of girls aged 14. And still, somehow,you (the guy who goes through every thread commenting DROPPED with a pic of a Jew thinking hes cool and edgy) manage to be the most pathetic person I've come across in 4 years here.

You're patheticness near impressive, tell me where you D R O P P E D on your head as a baby?
>>
>>69626466
Will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?
>>
daily reminder's

>yaddle was meant to be a young yoda puppet.

>first draft story was about obi wan only

>qui gon played what was meant to be "young yoda's" role.

>tupac wanted to be a jedi.

>mace was originally white (mace whitedu)
>>
>>69635556
JDIF pls go
>>
>>69629440
The Empire was always based on Nazis. Are you going to tell us that Lucas is a Jewish sleeper agent too or something?
>>
>>69626466
Way too much exposition, Jar Jar, casting of young Anakin, Maul is a non character, midichlorians.

Aside from that it's better than any SW movie that isn't part of the OT.
>>
File: 2.jpg (582 KB, 2101x366) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
582 KB, 2101x366
goyim don't know how to make movies. the quality of star wars movies is directly proportional to how jewish they are.
>>
>>69626466
Everything from landing on naboo to just before the fight with Darth maul.
>>
>>69635729
> it's a "retard thinks he's on /pol/ and trying to act cool" episode
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

This should explain it for you OP.
>>
>>69626466

At least it's more creative than The Force Awakens
>>
File: 1410169540402.webm (1 MB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
1410169540402.webm
1 MB, 450x472
>>69631870
>They gloss over the campy parts of The Empire Strikes back. The absolutely god awful fight scenes. The boring environments like the overused desert. The crappy costumes and dolls that did not age well.
>>
File: EthicalCapitalAmmonite.webm (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
EthicalCapitalAmmonite.webm
2 MB, 1920x816
>When you see it

Why is this allowed?
>>
>>69627401

nice meme
>>
>>69626466
I don't care about non-canon movies

Star Wars = Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi
>>
>>69638470

That's this whole website, anon
>>
>>69626873
It's everyone except Sheev and I guess Grievous
Lots of main-ish characters = no main character
Both the writing and the acting was shit
Movie shouldn't be dependent on knowledge of the EU
Agreed although 5mins is hyperbole
Agreed it wasn't complicated, the narrative for it was just shitty and opaque
>>
>>69626466
Due order.
>>
>>69631381
[Insert criticisms that existed long before Plinkett summarized them]

Why are prequelfags so triggered by him? They keep bringing him up over and over like a soldier with PTSD
>>
1 is the only prequel I like

Atleast it looks like a movie and not a videogame

5 = 4 > 6 > 1 = 7 >>> 3 >>> 2
>>
File: phm.jpg (2 MB, 4480x1142) Image search: [Google]
phm.jpg
2 MB, 4480x1142
but it was the only kino in the series
>>
File: 1453038996536.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453038996536.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
>>69642600

Very often in these threads you see criticisms worded in the exact same way as the RLM reviews, or all the same points ("hurr, no protagonist" comes to mind).

RLM drones are really easy to spot.
>>
>>69642600
cause the plinkett reviews caused irreversible damage in the fragile prequelbab minds
>>
>>69626873
>EU
If a movie needs supplementary material in order to make sense or be coherent then the movie failed.
>>
>>69642612
1 is the only prequel that isn't green screen madness and Hayden faggotry.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.