[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys weren't joking when you said this movie was the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 23
File: howlscastle.jpg (203 KB, 1400x757) Image search: [Google]
howlscastle.jpg
203 KB, 1400x757
You guys weren't joking when you said this movie was the best.

Thank you
>>
>>69624323
That's a great movie; I'm not usually into /a/ but Howls moving castle and spirited away are both great.
>>
>>69624323
>>69624674
HMC has horrible pacing and narrative structure. It's a pretty movie, I really liked the character, I like each scene individually, but it's Miyazaki's worst directed film. It's one of the worst ones to recommend as someone's first introduction to Miyazaki.
>>
>>69624323
That's not even the best Miyazaki movie
>>
>>69624965
What is.
>>
File: prussian_empire Dystopian Wars.jpg (108 KB, 748x440) Image search: [Google]
prussian_empire Dystopian Wars.jpg
108 KB, 748x440
>>69624323
Really? The story was a clusterfuck, but the visuals were top notch.

/tg/ master race here. Dat Victorian steam aesthetic.
>>
>>69624323
So was the royal city technically based on Vienna/Budapest?
>>
>>69624807
>>69624965
this is true
still a nice movie, but yeah, not his best
>that Star Lake scene though
>>
>>69624323
but it's miyazaki's worst film
>>
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is both the best Miyazaki movie and the best movie of all time
>>
>>69625208
if you like that aesthetic, read Diana Wynne Jones. she wrote the book HMC was based on. was writing sci-fi/fantasy in the 1980s but in her 60s or something when she started so her books are always full of that jazz.

>>69625267
as per the book, it's an alternate-universe Europe where there's a fault, and subsequently a mountain range, between mainland Europe and England, no English Channel. the kingdom of Ingary, where HMC takes place, is meant to be that universe's Germany. not 100% on whether the other side are the equivalent of England or France or what though.
>>
>>69625140
PORCO ROSSO
>>
>>69624323

no problem anon,
glad you liked it.
>>
>>69625140
probably either Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke.
>that opening titles music
not even gonna link it 'cause I don't want to spoil it for you

>>69625406
read the manga, it's no wonder he wants Anno to direct the sequel when he next decides to pull his thumb out his ass and get working again
there's some trippy shit in that thing, the movie only covers the first quarter
>>
>>69625140
Mononoke, Totoro and Spirited Away are his holy trinity.
>>
File: Marnie.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Marnie.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
Is this movie about yurishit or friendship?
>>
>>69625469
>read the manga

I have and it's also great

>it's no wonder he wants Anno to direct the sequel

wat, anno wanted to make something with the ip but miyazaki said no
>>
>>69625540
If it's like the book, lesbian incest friendship
>>
>>69625416
>Diana Wynne Jones
Thanks bro.
>>
FUCK man I just love the epic tone of Princess Mononoke and The Wind Rises. both movies just have such a sense of sweeping epicness virtually unmatched in modern live-action cinema outside of maybe something like There Will Be Blood. I know some people have their misgivings about The Wind Rises but I thought it was just about perfect and has a few secrets it's gonna take years of rewatching and analysis to understand.
>tfw pretty sure Nahoko is partly an autobiographical metaphor, just not sure what for
great dream sequences too. and the wedding scene made me cry like a little bitch.
>>
>>69625564
I thought Miyazaki was okay with it last I heard in late 2013?
>>
>>69625698
god i hope not

anno would just add un needed yuri shit no doubt and would ruin it
>>
>>69625140
Mononoke, Porco Rosso or Wind Rises.

Basically, if it involves a thing he's autisicly passionate about (planes, horrors of war, automation), then it's good. If it's something he doesn't care about (feminism, children, love), it's pretty shit.
>>
Mononoke>Spirited Away=Howl's Moving Castle

imo
>>
Howl's Moving Castle is great up until the scene where Sophie meets Suliman. Then it's like the movie starts pushing it's foot down on the brakes.
>>
>>69624323
it's garbage
>>
>>69625208

>Really? The story was a clusterfuck

This. It was all over the place tonally.

'Spirited Away' is far better.
>>
>>69625140

Seriously, even Laputa is way better.
>>
File: PorcoRosso.jpg (386 KB, 1920x2743) Image search: [Google]
PorcoRosso.jpg
386 KB, 1920x2743
Porco Rosso is Eternal Comfy-core, probably his best and most misunderstood film.
>>
>>69625904
Laputa is an underrated classic.
>>
>>69625932

Great movie. I lived in Japan in the late 90s and that was widely considered the favourite among Japanese girls there.
>>
Princess Mononoke = Spirited Away > Porco Rosso > The Wind Rises = My Neighbour Totoro > Castle Of Cagliostro > Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind = Kiki's Delivery Service > Laputa: Castle In The Sky > Whisper Of The Heart (yeah I'm counting it, bite me) > Howl's Moving Castle > Ponyo

if Nausicaa was a series and covered the whole manga though it'd totally join the top tier
>>
>>69624323
That's easily Miyazaki's worst film.

>>69625140
Princess Mononoke.
>>
>>69625932
Laputa is good but the movie is pretty much a series of action-adventure setpieces with not much else in terms of characters or plot. After you've seen it once, there's not much else to absorb.
>>
>>69625904

Future Boy Conan > Laputa
>>
>>69625771
Why is he so passionate about war? Did something happen?
>>
Spirited Away is the best movie to start with Miyazaki.
But his magnum opus is hands down Princess Mononoke. It's a little tough if you're not used to his aesthetic in the sense that you would enjoy his other movies more.
However once you finish his catalog and come back to Mononoke you will find that it is, hands down, his best work.
>>
Miyazaki writes his movies as he goes; there's no storyboard or script. His style usually comes out as fantastic and whimsical but for whatever reason HWC felt so piece-y and rushed for me. I love the characters and setting and the music compliments everything so fucking well, but the plot just...isn't there. You can tell towards the end he was just like "welp that's all I got let's just end it."

Princess Mononoke is better. Real talk.
>>
>>69626120
Mononoke is too feminist for today's /tv/ sensibilities
>>
yo dudes i'm vacationing to france on wednesday and i wanna watch a ghibli movie tomorrow to get hyped. which one should i watch? i've seen em all a million times already.
>>
>>69626056
Here's your (You), now run along.
>>
>>69626120
Everytime I see Princess Mononoke, I get the sense that it's the movie Miyazaki that Nausicaa could've been if he had finished the manga back when the Nausicaa movie was first made.
>>
>>69626105
His wife fucked twenty other men while he was busy bayonetting mongolian babies and he associated the positive experience with the war.
>>
File: ralph.gif.gif (2 MB, 422x275) Image search: [Google]
ralph.gif.gif
2 MB, 422x275
>>69626139
>mfw post-/pol/ 4chan
fucking disgusting place of hyperconservatives. i remember when people were much more sane politically on this site
>>
>>69626134
>Miyazaki writes his movies as he goes; there's no storyboard or script.
Seriously. It's pants-down fucking insane, I literally gasped when they mentioned that in Kingdom Of Dreams And Madness. given the high quality of his work it's just unimaginable to think he just jots it off like a first draft and it comes out like that with practically no revision. for his entire directing career.
>>
>>69626056

Solid list but I would put Totoro=Whisper famalam.
>>
>>69625406
>>69624323

Neither are good movies.
>>
>>69626212

He might now write a formal script document but the process is probably the same in his head. I doubt he full-on Lewis Carrolls his productions.

No one goes full Lewis Carroll.
>>
miyazaki power rankings??

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Book)
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (movie)
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Future Boy Conan
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
>>
>>69626139
and you just know they'd completely ignore the fact that San would be hopeless without Ashitaka to help her and that the moral is co-operation and peaceful co-habitation, not "muh strong wolf lady"
>>
>>69626203
>i remember when people were much more sane politically on this site
Me too, the pre-SJW internet was quite a beauty.
>>
>>69626105
Er...anon...

Think about when he was born. I'm honestly a bit surprised I'm having to explain this...

He was actually born during WWII itself. He grew up in post-WWII Japan, and he lost a number of relatives to it.

He, like most Japanese filmmakers from his generation, was profoundly impacted by the war at home. He never saw the fighting, so it's not surprising that almost none of his films show actual war (Mononoke being a clear exception), but instead, he spends a massive amount of time in a number of his movies on the civilian impact of the war and to show it's aftermath.
>>
>>69626212
to be fair, the dude worked like a decade in television before starting to make movies. he had a lot of time to experiment and gain a strong sense of structure

fun fact, Miyazaki realize as he was storyboarding Spirited Away that his original idea would have ended up being like 3 or 4 hours, so he had to write a whole new second half. No-Face was just a random character on a bridge who looked interesting that an animator drew so he made that the villain, and he wanted to add another character without making any new designs so he just gave Yubaba a twin sister. Kind of hilarious how lazy it is but it worked out great.
>>
>>69626254
Nausicaa manga has to come top no matter how you rank the rest, even outside of manga it's just an incredible work of existentialist fiction full stop.
>>
File: 1433048235633.gif (1016 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1433048235633.gif
1016 KB, 320x240
>>69626187
>>
was Nausicaa a lesbo?
>>
File: howls-moving-castle.jpg (313 KB, 2048x1107) Image search: [Google]
howls-moving-castle.jpg
313 KB, 2048x1107
>>69624807

wasn't someone else from Studio Ghibli directing this and left the project halfway thru and the Miyazaki took over?

that could explain for the hamfisted war subplot.
>>
>>69625140
patricians know is it castle in the sky
>>
>>69626286
Man that sounds pretty hacky to be honest. But I guess if it saved out on budget what can you do.
>>
>>69625140

Poroco Rosso and Ponyo
>>
>>69626203
That's what happens when SJWs ruin everything. Places like this get filled with reactionaries who may have only been moderately conservative before.
>>
>>
>>69626181

I wish the Nausicaa movie was made from the whole Manga too.
The manga is completely different and I feel a more interesting story overall with the heavier sci-fi elements and such.
>>
>>69626344
Is there a more comfy movie than Kiki? serious question, that movie is drinking hot chocolate under the blankets on a rainy sunday tier.
>>
I like Miyazaki but some of his ideals are retarded

Evil can never be aloud to endure and his work Spirited Away shows he disagrees with all of the villains getting off scott-free despite them turning humans into pigs and eating them
>>
>>69626134
Howl's Moving Castle wasn't supposed to be a Miyazaki film.

They brought in an outside director from Toei to make it, but he never saw eye to eye with the heads of the studio. So Miyazaki basically took it over and half-assedly tried to turn it into an anti-Iraq War screed.
>>
>>69626286
holy shit
do you think in his head the whole time he's just been in a total panic over all these people thinking he's a film genius, when he's literally making shit up as he goes along in the most slapdash way possible and it just happens to turn out god-tier in the end every time
>>
File: lupin III coc.png (1 MB, 1280x712) Image search: [Google]
lupin III coc.png
1 MB, 1280x712
Not enough love for this masterpiece.
>>
File: Whisper of the heart.jpg (747 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Whisper of the heart.jpg
747 KB, 1920x1080
Miyazaki has been holding Ghibli back for years
>>
>>69626354

mangafags pls,

the film was fine,
there's just no way to cram all that shit in a 2 hour movie.
>>
>>69626314
pretty sure the war and the prince-scarecrow reveal are taken from the book
>>
>>69626314

Yeah. He technically only directed half the movie.
Which means with the way he "directs" only half the story is actually his.
>>
>>69626344
The cat is the same voice as the fire demon guy from Howl's Castle
>>
>>69626413
>tfw the director of that is dead

bastard worked himself to death
>>
>>69626368

whisper of the heart/ porco rosso / poppy hill
>>
Spirited Away was weird, couldn't wait for it to end
>>
>>69626344

my wife's daughter loves this movie.
>>
>>69626139
you know how hollywood used to remake japanese feudal epics as westerns?

i wish disney would remake princess mononoke as a western, with a native american getting kicked out of his tribe and having to go out west to solve the mystery of the demon. switch out the japanese mythology for indigenous american mythology. san is a feral white girl.
>>
>>69626410
THIS
>that opening
>that ending
>that /comfy/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjJxamSSc0
I'd even go so far as to say Castle Of Cagliostro is one of *the* archetypal adventure movies ever made
it really has got everything
>>
>>69625406
it's a great movie, but suffers from the main character pretty much being ghandi throughout the movie.

This is a trend with earlier miyazaki films, his main characters tends to be flawless human beings from the getgo. Spirited Away is the exeption to this where the main character start off as a brat and matures through the story.

But I guess one does not watch ghibli movies for character studies.
>>
>>69626488
>san is a feral white girl.
>Protagonist is a Native American

/pol/ and indeed, /tv/ would have a field day.
>>
>>69626461
no? Phil Hartman died a year or so after the dub was completed, Billy Crystal voices Calcifer.
>>
>>69626417

Don't get me wrong. The movie is great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Just strictly speaking, story wise, the manga is a better story.
>>
>>69626531
nah, I don't see that. Kiki and Porco in particuar are both movies largely focused on a character maturing
>>
>>69626540
Oh, they sound so similar
>>
Was manga-Nausicaa in the right? Her actions towards the end became more and more despotic imo but I'm sure it's intended for ~moral ambiguity~.
>>
File: kushana.jpg (371 KB, 920x1323) Image search: [Google]
kushana.jpg
371 KB, 920x1323
>>69626552
Kushana da best
>>
>>69626354
>I wish the Nausicaa movie was made from the whole Manga too.

Way too long. Don't even think the manga fully covered the part the movie was about when it was released. Everything is a lot less interesting in the movie.

>>69626531
>the main character pretty much being ghandi throughout the movie.

The movie doesn't do much with Nausicaa's anger and she's not involved in warfare like in the manga. Kushana is nothing but a mirror to Nausicaa in the movie while being Miyazaki's best character in the manga.
>>
>>69626254
>Future Boy Conan

Loved that as a kid, haven't watched it again in decades tho. Wonder if it still holds up.
>>
>>69626254
You really rank Ponyo above HMC?
>>
Lady Eboshi did nothing wrong.
>>
File: snoops.png (479 KB, 651x397) Image search: [Google]
snoops.png
479 KB, 651x397
>>69626552
>mfw that bit where she fends off an entire army nonlethally with a siren that makes all those chocobo-like things freak out
>>
>>69626609
>The movie doesn't do much with Nausicaa's anger

neither does the manga
>>
>>69626597
>Whatever lucky man becomes my husband shall see far worse than that.
Miyazaki can write some good antagonists when he wants
>>
The train ride in spirited away is one of my favorite sequences of all time.
Live action or animated.
It was pure kino.
>that music
>that shot composition
>that cinematography
It's so fucking good.
>>
>>69626531
>Castle Of Cagliostro
>main character is a master thief

>Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (movie)
>she's a religious prophet you idiot, of course she's holier-than-thou

>Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (manga)
>she's a religious prophet and also an impulsive despot

>Porco Rosso
>the guy's a bit of an old git, it has to be said
>also according to the Japanese subtitles he's mentioned as being a convicted diddler, holy shit Japan why did you put that in a kids' movie

>The Wind Rises
>dude smokes around his dying wife and is letting his lifelong dream lead him to aid the deaths of countless soldiers and pilots

etc.
come on, man
>>
>>69626645
That's what I like a lot about Mononoke. Nobody is inherently in the wrong. Lady Eboshi and Billy Bob Thornton are just symbols of a progressing new world.
>>
>>69626597
>not Kuratowa
I have never prayed so hard for a character to not get killed in all my life, dude goes through a lot of shit in the manga
>>
>>69626728
>Capitalism is good
Stale meme.
>>
>>69626721
>a convicted diddler
That's like a parking ticket in japan though.
>>
>>69626649
>mfw the horseclaws in the Nausicaa manga were actually the inspiration for chocobos
google it
>>
>>69626764
Capitalism in the name of goodness is p. alright. Lady Eboshi bought the whores out from the cities and gives them a living keeping the bellows going to smelt iron. It's when it gets to where we are today, in the real world, well then sheeet.
>>
>>69626589
I would perharps agree with you on Porco, though I see post war trauma and nostalgia being more overarching themes than maturing, Porco is a middle aged man.

I have to disagree with Kiki, she's still the very same character at the end as in the beginning. As far as I remember, she has no character flaw she has to overcome by becoming a better person.

It's a while since I've seen Kiki, so I might be talking out my ass.
>>
>>69626788
I figured they were an influence, I just couldn't remember the name.

I need to read the manga again. It really impacted me back when I read it years ago.
>>
The book is better. Diana Wynne Jones is amazing at worldbuilding and making me fall in love with everyone. I was crushed when I heard she died. The Chrestomanci series is incredible.
>>
>>69626713
I think it's universally agreed. That scene is probably the most recognised worldwide in all of animation post-1980 at this point.

I still have zero idea what that scene is about and it's probably going to be one of the most enduring pieces of cinema in my head for the rest of my life. It's one of those things that only film, not words, can express.
>>
>>69626645

No one in that movie did anything wrong.
Not a single black or white character.
Everyone is grey.
It's very hard to pull off and miyazaki did it perfectly.
It's why the movie is so great.
>>
I haven't read the book that it's based on but it seemed like the story of a girl that got swept off her feet by a guy that fucks around.
She moves in with him and feels like she's just his cleaning lady.
She feels like his ex has ruined him and poisoned their relationship (witch of the waste)
He's terrified of his mother (solomon)
Eventually she learns to live with his past (when the witch literally moves in, now powerless)
She wins the love of his mother (represented by her dog)
Howl moves into her house to represent him settling down.

By the end they're happy. She doesn't become young again because it's representing maybe 20 years of her life. She's a middle aged woman but she's not just his cleaning lady.

Does that seem about right to anyone else?
>>
>>69626865
This. You barely hear her name mentioned ever, but when you do, it's in the context of undying admiration for her work. Literally one of the very best fantasy authors of the past 50 years. Possibly of the entire genre.
>>
what's better with this movie subs or dubs
>>
>>69626814
>I have to disagree with Kiki, she's still the very same character at the end as in the beginning

It's a coming of age story, anon. She loses her confidence after going off on her own, learns some life lessons, loses a piece of her childhood like not being able to hear her cat anymore, and so on.
>>
>>69626594
nausicaa has to make a lot of ethical decisions that would totally break a human being's psyche and by the end of the book, she winds up emotionally destroyed. but i don't think she's despotic, despite her final choice of destroying the embryo archive being arguably genocidal. humanity would never live peacefully with the predecessors pulling the strings from beneath the temple, and had set her iteration of humanity to die as soon as they weren't useful so they could resume being up to their old tricks on the cleansed earth. it was better to trust in nature to allow humanity to survive one way or another than to assume they'd all die anyway and trust the Machiavellian fucks who had made life hell for literally their whole species. so i don't think it's a question of right and wrong and more like cynicism in life being shit and horrible or pure belief that nature works out in its best interests and humanity just has to live with that.

i like to think that Laputa is actually a sequel to nausicaa, taking place thousands of years after the earth was cleansed and civilization\tech began to flourish again, and laputans were the last remnants of whatever happened near the end of the sea of decay's lifecycle

>>69626533
that dichotomy is literally the same as the original movie. ashitaka is indingeous and san is normal japanese
>>
>>69626728

Yeah, very disarming when you first see it.
>>
>>69626894
The train ride up untill Sen remembers her name and Hakus name make me cry every time.

I havent managed to put a finger on it, but I think its the culmination of the music, the dramatic buildup and the visuals.
>>
File: bale.jpg (30 KB, 386x198) Image search: [Google]
bale.jpg
30 KB, 386x198
>>69626946

watch the dub,
it has the goddamn Batman as Howl
>>
>>69626946
The dubs on all of Miyazaki's movies are some of the best of any anime. Go with the dubs. But I'm hard of hearing so I always have english subs on too anyway.

>>69626951
I like the nods to Swift in Laputa, it's interesting how Miyazaki was so influenced by western books right from the start.
>>
>>69625406
My fave for sure.
>>
>>69626947
okay, perhaps I am wrong here.
>>
>>69626728
It pisses me off when people don't understand this and think that Princess Mononoke is just preachy environmentalism.
>>
>>69626894

I'd say the street bikes in Akira is probably more well known.
You know the shots I'm talking about.
The ones with the trailing tail lights.
More people probably saw the vodka commercial than the actual movie itself.
>>
>>69626945
So many people don't even understand the amazingness that is Diana Wynne Jones. So many authors followed in her style and she just kept creating greatness. Now I'm going to go read Charmed Life.
>>
>>69626946
Subs, subs all the way.

The dubs are very good, but if you're not one of those that cant watch a foreign movie because of subs, the subs are still superior.

Something always get lost in the dubs.
>>
>>69626272
Good points anon, didnt think about it that way.
>>
>>69625406
>>69627034
>that opening theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZUppxT38Zk
>mfw 2:36 hits
>mfw I have no face
that recording's a suite though, can't find the exact movie recording on youtube. thank goodness I've got the CD.
>>
Warriors of the Wind > all
>>
>>69626946

All the dubs are very well done.
The only part I've ever had a problem with was Billy Bob's in mononoke.
It was just...off.
>>
>>69627129
the other way to think about it is this.
>>
>>69627182
pls
>>
>>69627194
Well i mean thats pretty much what the setting for nausica was
>>
>>69627124

Disney dubs are GOAT tier,

the only Ghibli movie I watched with subs was Princess Kaguya since the original voices do it more justice for a traditional Japanese story.
>>
>>69627124
howl's moving castle is one of the few movies where the dub is literally superior

the shit with the prince literally comes out of nowhere at the very end of the movie, while in the dub they mention it twice beforehand so it's not dumb

plus, billy crystal is magical as calcifer

miyazaki himself prefers that his films be watched dubbed so people can focus on the animation. the only ones that really demand to be watched subbed are laputa (dubbed before pixar's involvement, miscast and terrible), nausicaa (singlehandedly ruined by alison lohman) and arguably kiki (depending on which version of the dub you have and if you're willing to forgive Jiji having a line at the end when he really, really shouldn't)

there's no reason to watch mononoke in japanese unless you hate neil gaiman, because he wrote the english script. porco rosso's dub is particularly excellent
>>
File: cat-returns.jpg (156 KB, 1512x820) Image search: [Google]
cat-returns.jpg
156 KB, 1512x820
GOAT incoming
>>
>>69627296
>miyazaki himself prefers that his films be watched dubbed so people can focus on the animation
source? that sounds like bullshit
>>
File: 1462042225413.jpg (57 KB, 765x430) Image search: [Google]
1462042225413.jpg
57 KB, 765x430
The end of this movie is making me cry like a little bitch

Such a good movie
>>
File: Cat Returns.jpg (402 KB, 844x600) Image search: [Google]
Cat Returns.jpg
402 KB, 844x600
>>69627334

mah nigga
>>
>>69627356
>the howls moving castle theme is now playing in your head.
>>
>>69627296
>and arguably kiki (depending on which version of the dub you have and if you're willing to forgive Jiji having a line at the end when he really, really shouldn't)
wut

>>69627334
once you realise it's supposed to be one of the stories written by the girl from Whisper Of The Heart it really does work a lot better, I really enjoy it
>>
>>69627423
I AM HUMBERT VAN GIKKENGEN
or whatever the line is
so badass
>>
>>69626990
Always liked the scene where they are falling down from the sky
>>
>>69627296
I still think the subs are superior, most of the line delivery from many of the english actors are very flat, Bale to some extent and Billy Bob Thorntons atrocious performance in Mononoke.
>>
>>69627424
My #1 way of getting pussy is by playing that song on a piano when women are around.
>>
File: 1433713216515.jpg (14 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
1433713216515.jpg
14 KB, 240x232
>>69627729
>>
>>/a/
>>
File: 1463324996712.jpg (45 KB, 640x727) Image search: [Google]
1463324996712.jpg
45 KB, 640x727
>>69627729
>>
>>69627431
Jiji is not supposed to talk to Kiki at the end of the movie. Her not hearing him anymore is supposed to represent her growing up. They changed this in the english version. Early versions of the dub had additional music and different songs, but those were excised in the most recent release.

Disney would also slightly fuck with Spirited Away. Chihiro doesn't say anything at the end of the Japanese version and the implication is supposed to be that she doesn't remember her time in the spirit world but the impact on her confidence and self-reliance is still there.

These changes were all approved by Ghibli, though. They have very strict creative control of the dub scripts and have to approve EVERYTHING.
>>
>>69627822
>>69627770
I'm joking around dudes chill out I get no pussy. But it does get attention from lots of people when they hear it.
>>
>>69627729
followed by clair de lune I presume?

I whish I could play the piano ;_;
>>
>>69626254
>Ponyo that low

Pleb
>>
>>69628078
Learn, dude! It's never too late. I didn't start learning to draw until college but now I'm working on a graphic novel that I hope to finish and publish someday.

Just get some shitty keyboard on craigslist and look up tutorials on youtube, or pirate a book that teaches you how to read sheet music and shit. You don't have to be mozart, but trust me when I say that just being able to play the melodies you love will give you a kind of joy you've felt nowhere else. It's like a drug.
>>
>>69628126
I judge Ghibli-fans based on whether they're capable of seeing through the messy plotline of Ponyo to see the treasure hiding behind. The fucking music and art are 12/10 quality, and it's got a lot of really interesting ideas on youth and natural disasters too.
>>
fun fact, ghibli got disney to heavily invest in princess mononoke, which had run out of money near the end of production, by cutting a trailer that made it look like a traditional fairy tale adventure film and letting them assume that they'd get something along the lines of kiki or laputa

when disney finally saw the movie, they were not happy. the limited theatrical release of mononoke was probably one of the biggest dropped balls in the recent history of that company. with the right marketing campaign, that movie could have been a massive hit
>>
>>69628126
don't get me wrong. i love ponyo. i pirated that movie before it had fansubs and was still incredibly moved. it was masterful. it's just, y'know, not my favorite over literally almost everything else he's done.

>>69628249
fun fact: miyazaki animated like a good 90% of the water effects himself. the madman
>>
File: 1462051608397.jpg (75 KB, 463x800) Image search: [Google]
1462051608397.jpg
75 KB, 463x800
right , I almost cried in front of others.
>>
>>69628203
I have small hands, can barely reach an octave, kills the enjoyment whenever I try to play 7ths
>>
>>69628389
The dog is my favorite chracter, whenever it does that wheeze sound. It's sad because my dog is getting older too ;__;
>>
Town with an ocean view a best track.

>dat violin plucking or whatever it is called

https://youtu.be/lNk1ddf4XMI?t=33s
>>
>>69625406
The manga is way better.
>>
>>69629470
>pizzicato
>>
>>69629470
>not osono's request

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ09YFU2jrg

also this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsowHW0t7CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwPlgVn2K8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2yk5G2M2g8
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.