[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
could MacReady be a thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: rjmacready.jpg (280 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
rjmacready.jpg
280 KB, 800x800
could MacReady be a thing?
>>
no the black guy is
>>
Keith David was
>>
Seemed pretty clear that the black guy at the end was the thing.
>>
Neither of them were.
Both of them were.
MacReady was.
Childs was.
>>
sure why not
>>
well according to the video game sequel

oh wait I'll kill myself sorry
>>
>>69600443

Yes. He was alone with Norris and Palmer when both were Things.
>>
>>69600690
>>69600745
>>69600780

Only he wasn't a thing because he still had his ear piercing
>>
>>69600443
He may not have been fully assimilated but he was likely already infected by the end.
>>
>>69601564
Strangely that ending suggests he was The Thing.
>>
>>69600443
No. But MacReady was a replicant.
>>
>>69601606
If Childs was infected from within, the ear piercing would not clear him.
>>
>>69600443
It was Bruce Willis the entire time.
>>
Neither guy was a Thing. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, because who the fuck knows how many Things went to snow and freeze? Remember the dog think that escaped throught the roof? And there were blasts later on, even one tiny drop of blood is enough for Thing to survive. That's why I love the movie, no matter what - they're doooomed.
>>
>>69602294
>Neither guy was a Thing

Carpenter has confirmed that in the end you can only hear MacReady breathing.
>>
>>69601839

The thing can't assimilate metal
>>
>>69602387

Carpenter also confirmed that neither one was a thing. Not to mention you can see Childs breath
>>
>>69602387
>author intent
Top kek
Kill yourself
>>
>>69602443
Carpenter is also a master troll, always has been.
>>
>>69601606
that shit was only established in remake-prequel
>>
I don't remember it being clear that either of them were the Thing.
>>
>>69600443
Didn't the forget to sterilize the scalpel while taking blood for the hot wire test?
>>
>>69602770

I've never noticed that. Wouldn't have MacReady infected them all after cutting Palmer?

Maybe wiping alway the blood was good enough
>>
>>69602607

Nah, he's just old and senile
>>
One of the great mysteries of life. Childs doesn't seem to have visible breath in the final scene save for a couple of vague shots, while in comparison MacReady constantly breathes out breath-mist, though this may just be a lighting thing that was not intended as a clue. Another thing is the clothes, as the Thing is noted to have destroyed the clothes of any character it takes over (behind the scenes), all characters outed as the Thing, I believe, had different clothes on after being taken over.
>>
>>69602906
Also, a persistent fan theory is the drink MacReady offers Childs is not in fact alcohol, but gasoline he had prepared as a test, the idea being that the Thing may not be able to understand what he's drinking. I personally think that's a long shot, but I do notice that the second Childs drinks it normally, the Thing theme picks up and MacReady gives this sly look.
>>
>>69602407
That's the stupedest fucking thing, everyone is in the fucking arctic with fucking zippers
>>
File: 1438521400106.jpg (92 KB, 784x608) Image search: [Google]
1438521400106.jpg
92 KB, 784x608
Do infected people know that they're things until they transform?
Do things know if other people are things when they see them?
>>
>>69603150

You do realize it rips through their clothing, right?
>>
>>69603150
It uses other clothes. I do agree though that the metal thing came from the other movie and as far as this one is concerned is not canon.
>>
>>69603157
Which is the guy with the chest that opens up? I'm pretty sure he knew it. He turned down the chance to lead very quick. The guy that disappeared only to be seen next incinerated may have also killed himself after discovering he was infected.
>>
>>69603219

If it can't absorb clothes, why would it be able to absorb metal like piercings, fillings or anything inorganic?
>>
>>69603359
It doesn't absorb clothes. The movie makes a point of showing you that it shreds clothes at some point during transformation.
>>
>>69603157
>>69603283
>fugggg I've been thinged

I always thought the Thing killed them, replaced them (in mind as well), and went on living as them to infect as many as possible?
>>
>>69603394

That's what I'm saying. If it rips through clothes because it can't absorb clothes, then why would it absorb metal in someone's body?
>>
>>69603454
It could simply keep the earring, which wouldn't be destroyed like the clothes.
>>
>>69603157
>>69603283
>>69603395

>so, how do we know who's human? If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?
>>
The while logic of child's leaving the door he was supposed to guard to go chase Blair on his own and then getting lost out in the storm just doesn't sit well with me.

Mac told him specifically to stay and guard the door and blast Blair if he comes without them. Why wouldn't child's wait for them to come back and then tell them he saw Blair running?
>>
>>69603541

But it would fall out during the absorption process. Would it remember to put it back in? Does it retain memories like that? Or would it keep only important information?
>>
>>69602387
But the thing also breathes.
Even of only to do it as a disuise.
Its copies things perfectly anyways, and it has real organs.
>>
>>69603636
Of course it remembers stuff, its very clear it does things the normal human would do just to appear normal to the rest.
>>
>>69603636
Yeah and he could simply put it back on. All the other Things knew enough to fool everyone flawlessly until the blood test.
>>
Didn't MacReady fill all the liquor bottles with gasoline?
>>
>>69602574
>death of the author
look it's a gigantic faggot
>>
>>69600443
Imagine if he was casted as robert baratheon.
>>
>>69600443
man i never understand the controversy

Childs was DEF a fucking THING bro, why else would that nigga run from the base when MacReady specifically told his ass not to go anywhere, then the nigga disappears during a shit show and returns at the end with a new set of clothes. But at that point it didn't matter because MacReady knew he would be fucked anyways in the arctic by himself.
>>
>>69603979
>lel blackie pls don't move from here even if you hear a bunch of horrible howls from hell and a giant thing destroying a building with a single swing

Maybe he went to refill his flamethrower, or get some supplies to help MacReady.
>>
>>69602294
You mean the thing is doomed.
>>
>>69604257
nah it will just freeze again until some other dumbfucks find it
>>
Childs was the thing

>when he breathes there's no steam
>drinks a molotov
>macready laughs after it drinks a molotv knowing it just fucked up
>>
>>69604302
Nobody is gonna find a random drop of blood or a tiny dog part after the area gets snowed and a blizzard fucks it all up.

>>69604359
>>69604359
>Childs was the thing
>>when he breathes there's no steam
Thats a movie hindsight, if the thing can perfectly copy the organs and way the host acts why would it forget to breath?
>>drinks a molotov
Can't be sure that was a molotov, it could just be a drink MacReady saved up
>>macready laughs after it drinks a molotv knowing it just fucked up
Or hes laughing at how hes still gonna die even after all they did
>>
Why was this movie so hated by the plebs in the 80s?
>>
>>69604764
Not enough flash-dancing or shirtless macho men.
>>
>>69601606
>applying prequel logic to a forty year old movie

'no'
>>
why would the thing have ran from the swedish camp?
>>
Okay, I think I understand it now.

Childs smashed the guitar.
>>
Mac handed Childs his bottle, and Childs drank from it.

Mac laughed. Had Childs really been thinking, he wouldn't have drank from a bottle that Mac-Thing could have spit in.

Therefore Childs was either an idiot, or had nothing to be afraid of because he was already infected. The laugh was Mac figuring out Childs was infected.
>>
>>69604956

The Swedes lit their base on fire to combat it, then its last hope was the husky is took over.
>>
>>69605168
or it was both of them being resigned to their fates, the thing also realizing that its fucked
>>
File: 1386659058633.jpg (35 KB, 450x444) Image search: [Google]
1386659058633.jpg
35 KB, 450x444
>all these faggots refusing to believe the black guy was the thing

Get over yourselves Jesus christ
>>
>>69605317

They're Norwegians, Mac
>>
>>69605591
whatever
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-16-20h47m38s660.png (508 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-16-20h47m38s660.png
508 KB, 1280x720
What about this Thing that escaped the dog massacre scene?
>>
>>69600443
What if humans were the original thing and the thing is trying to claim his land back?
>>
>>69605794
>says faggot so must be from /pol/
faggot
>>
I saw a pretty convincing YT fan video that said Childs was infected based on some changes in the placement of a coat in the set and the fact that Blair would have been in the generator room, which is right behind where Childs was supposed to be standing at the door.
>>
>>69606440
was it this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw
>>
I don't totally buy into "Childs was a Thing" gimmick, but he DID abandon his position to presumably go after that engineer Thing guy and suddenly the power died. It wasn't in Childs' character to leave position.
>>
>>69600443
No. Kurt Russell was clean
>>
File: Adaptation.png (1 MB, 2437x2304) Image search: [Google]
Adaptation.png
1 MB, 2437x2304
Bumping with my most recent OC.
>>
File: THE THING.png (478 KB, 2144x2476) Image search: [Google]
THE THING.png
478 KB, 2144x2476
>>69606682

I tend to believe that they were both human in the end, regardless of whatever hints Carpenter has dropped (someone on /tv/ recently claimed that Carpenter has asserted via Twitter or somesuch that exactly one is a Thing, but this would seem to contradict another much older hint that Carpenter has dropped, to the effect that they really were both human in the end. Which is the whole point - to tease.) You do see a bit of Childs' breath at the end, not that I think that means anything one way or the other.

Childs' character basically maps to one "Barclay", another mechanic in the original story who can whip stuff together and is about as much "muscle" in the camp as Mac. A difference in the latter is that Barclay rigs up an /electrocution weapon/, like a big fork on the end of a snow-shovel, which is powered by the station's main power source.

Pushing back on myself in the above, the camera angle back inside Outpost 31 suggests that Blair's (eye-view) is currently inside the camp, skulking around. Perhaps the empty room supports Childs' humanity in that Blair was unable to accost Childs before Childs (or the figure, anyway?) ran out into the snow. (and what color was the figure's coat?) The coats are also re-arranged somewhat in the above secondary shot, relative to the earlier establishing shot where Childs is on guard-post and Mac gives the if-Blair-but-not-us-then-burn order.
>>
File: Thing Locations.jpg (349 KB, 1493x1493) Image search: [Google]
Thing Locations.jpg
349 KB, 1493x1493
>>69606091

It doesn't ya goofus, it's just part of the dog-thing pile that's trying to gain high ground.
>>
File: Antartica Risk.png (100 KB, 1968x1048) Image search: [Google]
Antartica Risk.png
100 KB, 1968x1048
Thing Risk anybody?
>>
what if neither MacReady nor Childs is human at the end

makes that ending dialogue kinda spooky.
>>
>>69602841

Windows does a very stupid thing of nicking the same blade on his pants to "clean" it while returning the blade and his sample to Macready, all of which suggests cross-contamination that people back then simply didn't take as seriously as we do today, what with the GRIDS and all. Even when they make a movie where they intellectually understand that one cell kills you, they still let shit like that slip in the final cut.

Actually, in the Campbell story, they're a bit smarter about certain things. They mandate a "stay in groups of four at all times" policy (smart), and they even all make an explicit point of sleeping about half-and-half, all in the same room together, also smart. But even the original story doesn't take its own premise so seriously, toward the end. In the story, when a "Thing" is revealed by the blood test a la Palmer, the rest of the group literally pounces on the infected person-thing and literally kill it with their bare hands, which would of course be a very bad idea given what we see depicted in the Carpenter movie.

Both versions have inconsistencies about handling infections, BBPs etc because the makers simply didn't live in a world with airborne Ebola, say, or AIDS.
>>
>>69610504
> that base on the iceshelf
> las malvinas
> green

This landmass belongs to the Argentine's!
>>
Ya niggas did it. Imma watch prequel-original now.
>>
File: childs a thing.png (941 KB, 700x1711) Image search: [Google]
childs a thing.png
941 KB, 700x1711
I'm convinced Childs is a thing because of pic related
>>
>>69611095
There is no scene that shows MacReady pouring molotov into whiskey
>>
>>69611183
The point is that he had it at hand, so it's plausible.
>>
File: the-thing-sick-dog.gif (1018 KB, 477x185) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-sick-dog.gif
1018 KB, 477x185
Great thread. But honestly it doesn't matter much in the end. They both froze to death eventually unless you consider the comics or game as canon.

Gonna watch both thing movies later today because of this. Thanks!
>>
>>69610622
I thought about that, but i don't see why two Things wouldn't recognise each other and try to join together at the end.
Let alone drinking the molotov cocktail.
>>
>>69611913
The Things never act together in the film, and in fact are happy to let others die when caught out.
>>
>>69611878
No it doesn't really matter, but part of the enjoyment of rewatching The Thing is thinking of all the possible theories.
It's just a great mind game.
>>
>>69612005
No, but The thing splits in moments of danger. At this point, if they were both Things, there would be no reason for them to not come back as one.
Anyway, the dialogue doesn't make any sense if they are both Things and get it.
>>
File: 1.png (849 KB, 1920x814) Image search: [Google]
1.png
849 KB, 1920x814
>Hurr Child's is da Thing becuz u cant see his breath!

Where did this stupid theory start? The Thing clearly has the ability to mimic human ventilation as evidenced by pic related. This 'theory' people have that Child's lack of visible breath condensation at the end of the film means he is a Thing is based on literally nothing as it is never established anywhere else in the film that the Things physiology works that way.
>>
>>69612297
good point, never thought of this
>>
>>69611878
It matters because if one of them is the Thing, after Antarctic winter some supply ships will check in on the base and discover their bodies. The Thing will most likely infect them and get carried onto other continents. If either Childs or MacReady is a Thing, it's very likely the entire world will be a Thing within a year.
>>
That Cracked video a while back dismissing the threat of The Thing by saying simple border checks would thwart it was either top notch bait or I have given them far too much credit in the past. And I didn't exactly have them on a pedestal before.

I have an extreme fear of parasites and The Thing, as a result, is just about the scariest convept/movie I have ever seen. I first watched it as a teen and just being around animals made me uneasy for like a week.
>>
>>69601606
this is one my favorite shitposts

>>69601564
hahaha
>all the fags who bring up the molotov theory
>no mention of the chess scene

pleb the thing threads forever, as far as the eye can see
>>
>>69612665
Sounds like absolute horseshit, same as whatever cracked churns out for the last while. The Thing is nigh indestructible, Fuchs says a single cell is enough to infect a host. Border checks can't even stop drugs getting into countries, how would they stop the Thing?
>>
>>69612969
... I just realized I typed "convept". Fuck me.

Anyway, went and looked it up after posting so here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7faGZJZzZ4k

No time stamp since it's pretty much the first thing they talk about. They're on to Aliens by about 2 mins in.

The Thing part is as bad as I was remembering it. Normally I like After Hours well enough. This was a weaker one.
>>
Border checks? If the Thing had taken place on any other continent, it would infect one flying insect and that would be the end of life on Earth.
>>
Would the Thing or the Blob win in a fight? Who assimilates better?
>>
>>69612297
Also you can't see Child's breath as clearly as Mac's cause he is just in the dark.
>>
>>69612524

Of course, you might be right about your timeline. And I think we all have a sense that Blair's computer model is primitive and a bit silly.

Still, this calls for getting pedantic. What did Blair's computer model forecast? "If it touches a civilized area, humanity is done 27,000 hours after first contact".

27,000 hours divided by 24 hours/day equals 1125 days. Dividing by 365 days/year gives 3 years, with a remainder of 30 days, interestingly, then figure a leap day (maybe, change) based on the timeline.

In short, Blair's model spells doom in just over three years, as opposed to under one. All academic, however.
>>
>>69611761
So it's bullshit
>>
>>69613253
The Thing is faster. But that would be an interesting match to see.
>>
>>69613253
what if they try to assimilate each other?
>>
>>69613353
How? The Thing is full of plot points where it's up to the viewer to find clues to the truth.
>>
>>69610407
What does this pic prove exactly (related to my post)? One dog Thing clearly escaped through the roof.
>>
>>69613509
Because that's conjecture, not plausibility. Same with Childs being "infected".
>>
>>69611761

It's absolutely not possible.
>>
>>69614065
Because?
>>
File: loose_ends.png (59 KB, 1069x587) Image search: [Google]
loose_ends.png
59 KB, 1069x587
>>69613778

pic is not directly related to your thing.

This reply is directly related to your thing, however. The dog-thing pile stays basically contiguous, and is simply growing/backing into the top far corner, not having escaped from the kennel. You can see the thing skittering up (and into the corner), so I understand where your false impression comes from. But it is false.

When you actually go back and look at the whole scene in context, the thing is just trying to get as high/dominant as possible, to stay away from the humans. But literally 10 seconds later, the whole mass is burned by Childs. The sound playing throughout is consistent with the whole creature staying (more-or-less) inside the kennel, those broken ceiling boards notwithstanding.

There's also a few seconds of the eyeballs emerging, looking all Junji Ito 'n shit. This is clearly all the same biomass. And as you re-watch it skittering up (and when Childs burns the prop), you can see the spidery tendril-prop-bits falling off the side of the set. The same thing that "climbed up" is the same whole thing (more or less) that Childs burns.

The question that you should REALLY be asking, is this: Were the two remaining normal-looking dogs which escaped from the kennel when Clark opened the door infected, or not? And, did either one manage to infect either of Palmer or Norris?
>>
>>69615018
I never actually thought about that last part. However, Clark did kill all the rest of the dogs.
>>
>>69615492

You don't know this movie very well, do you?

That's okay! It means there's plenty more for you to double-check and think about. But you're confusing Blair with Clark. It was Blair who took the axe to the remaining pooches, which is also clear from context. Clark, on the other hand, is quite horrified to see that the last of his pack has been murdered, and immediately runs to them when he hears what's happened. Clark's priorities are a little screwy; he was never thing'd, but he was always one of the dimmer men in the camp.
>>
>>69615601
Shit I meant Blair.
>>
>>69603912
no.
>>
File: no.jpg (13 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
13 KB, 240x240
>>69603979
Take a hike, shitposter.
>>
>>69604764
Because it's icky as fuck, and people hadn't seen shit like that before.
>>
>>69604956
>>69605317
They're Norwegian, not Swedish, Mac
>>
>>69616790
In other words, the movie was way ahead of its time.
>>
>>69600443
Why would you even suggest that?
He literally blew one up moments before and ran the fuck away.
>>
>>69615492
Apparently there was a sub-plot that was cut from the movie with two people chasibg the dogs and getting attacked by Things in the arctic.
>>
File: BTFO.png (54 KB, 631x386) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
54 KB, 631x386
>>
>>69617206
So how does this metal assimilation failure thing work anyway? Does this apply to people who are virally infected or is it just with the more violent merging? Never saw the prequel on principle.

I kind of want to believe its Mac anyway. For the pottery in going against intuition that hard.
>>
File: 1456640415492.png (213 KB, 726x350) Image search: [Google]
1456640415492.png
213 KB, 726x350
Why can't all /tv/ threads be like this? Non shitposting and actually discussing and breaking down a movie.

Or maybe it's because most modern movies don't usually have this much thought put into it, therefore leaving us no choice but to shitpost and spout memes.
>>
>>69602906
>Childs doesn't seem to have visible breath in the final scene

Stop this.
>>
>>69606631
>Collative Learning

Didn't watch.
>>
>>69617978
Carpenter-related threads are one of the few with bros who doesn't shitpost.
Gotta love The Thing, Big Trouble or Escape from NY/LA threads.
>>
>>69615601
Clark wasn't 'dim' at all - he knew his job, and he did it. He was the alpha dog, in charge of the team's pack of huskies. EVERYTHING Clark does is done from the position of pack alpha. Watch the movie again.
>>
>>69617206
Carpenter was trolling that guy.
>>
>>69618040
He does at short intervals, barely, it's entirely possible this was due to limitations, and when you look at both the way him and MacReady are breathing there is a clear distinction.
>>
>>69602906
>different clothes after being taken over
Holy shit I've never noticed that. Time for rewatch
>>
>>69618221
Because of the lighting - GAWD!!!!! When will this die? And Things breathe - see >>69612297
It's an AMBIGUOUS ending, folks - enjoy it for what it is: A GREAT FUCKING ENDING!!!!!
>>
>>69618547
>A GREAT FUCKING ENDING
To a great fucking movie! And this anon >>69618075
has got it right. What makes these four movies so great, beyond Carpenter and Russell?
>>
mcreddy get ipad
>>
>>69601476
This.

Whether Carpenter meant it or not, it's open to interpretation.
>>
We should really stream it one of these days and open a /tv/ chatroom.
>>
>>69617574

This suggestion about inability to assimilate metals (which is a good one) was more clearly established in the 2011 prequel. The concept of the creature in the prequel is consistent with Carpenter's treatment, it "makes sense" from a sci-fi standpoint, and it provides for a clever permutation on a "test", later. I will now discuss this metal-test at length, which means talking about the 2011 flick. Those who don't care about the prequel need not read further.

In the 2011 film, following the presumptive assimilation of the American Griggs and the camp's lone dog, one "Henrik" becomes the first confirmed human victim in the timeline of the film's telling (Griggs will pop out in the Helicopter-CG that everyone so loves to hate, a bit later). The original creature which had burst from the ice block is never clearly seen, but its overall scale and geometry remind one of the bugs from Starship Troopers, significantly bigger than a man. Anyway this creature sucks poor Henrik in and does its thing, only to get burned moments later. They autopsy the husk, and speculate about what was being done to Henrik. During the autopsy, it is discovered that a metal plate that Henrik had had put in to set a broken bone is now outside of what remains of his body, to the group's confusion. Later, MEW :3 discovers bloody tooth-fillings next to a bloodied empty stall, and she makes the connection: The Thing cannot assimilate metal, or inorganic material. She later uses this test to correctly isolate four guys who do not have visible tooth-fillings, and she furthermore correctly identifies a fresh assimilation at the end by noting that his earring is missing. She then burns him, being vindicated by its thing-like scream.

tl;dr per 2011 the Thing cannot assimilate metal. Clothing (organic material)? is a different discussion.
>>
I watched this last night. I really really liked it, the atmosphere and practical effects were great

Any recommendations for something similar?
>>
>>69618075
He'll yeah
Alien threads are pretty good too
>>
i don't get why one of them needs to be the thing.
can't they both just be humans and die at the end anyways?
>>
>>69618111

Lol nope. Whatever "manly-man" Clark had going on is wholly eclipsed by Mac's greater intelligence, leadership qualities, and superior skill set. He's not even part of the skilled half of the camp.

-Even fucking Bennings barks at him to kennel the thing and he just goes "owp okay den". Beta pup.
-Clark folds his knife and turns it in to Mac, a deferential move once Childs' bid for leadership is quashed in a "Das racis'n shi'!" move. Beta pup.
-Clark can't even drive home the knife that he fumbled from Copper's desk. Literally can't touch Mac. Betabitchboi dead pup. He wasn't even /right/ in doing what he had tried to do. But human, for all that.
>>
>>69603157
I like to think the infected people are still themselves but with a alternate personality that takes over on a subconscious level. Like a nervous twitch that you don't really pay attention to. Only when they outright transform and show themselves as a thing-human-creature do I think they realize they've become a pawn of the thing hivemind and by then the thing just controls their mind completely.
>>
>>69620388

Give it a week or so and then try the first two Alien movies (if you haven't already) once your pallette's cleared a bit. Or the 80s Blob. Other anons will have less obvious ideas.
>>
The "in my head cannon" I like to believe that one thing cell isn't enough to take over a person since maybe our immune system can somewhat fight the infection off, hence the violent take overs. Otherwise, why risk exposure and just lick few hands as dog thing and wait it out.

I also like the idea in the prequel that the thing can't copy metals. Neat concept to add to the lore.
>>
If you want the hat...

https://www.baronhats.com/index.php/speciality-hat/product/53-the-rj
>>
>>69620681
cheaper version

http://thelastbestwest.com/shop/cowboy-hats/movie-hats-1970-2000/thing-movie-hat/
>>
is 2011 worth a watch?
>>
File: TheThing1-300x300.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TheThing1-300x300.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>69600443

When you squeeze the doggo and get brutally assimilated.
>>
>>69620755
It's worth a pirate.
>>
>>69600443
Would you know if you were a thing before you monstered out?
>>
>>69620388
Check out Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness
>>
File: 1420862744298.jpg (54 KB, 510x370) Image search: [Google]
1420862744298.jpg
54 KB, 510x370
>>69601476
>both of them were
that's some retarded shit anon
>>
File: HIERARCHY.png (35 KB, 1060x717) Image search: [Google]
HIERARCHY.png
35 KB, 1060x717
>>69618111

More seriously, here is a schematic hierarchy of the status in the camp. Naturally since there's no women to compete over, everyone just fills their role. But some are still more able than others.

The top 7-or-so combine HIGHER-END science/skilled labor with reliable personalities (before all this started happening). The bottom 5 or so combine NOT NEARLY AS HIGHLY SKILLED labor with (sometimes) more unreliable personalities. Guess where Clark fits on this pre-infection hierarchy (and also after it).

It's never perfectly clear who's ex-military, but Garry and Mac seem the likeliest members of the ex-mil club.
>>
>>69620388

Basket Case, American Werewolf in London, The Fly, Alien and Aliens, Predator, Hellraisier, Scanners, The Blob, and now I'm just suggesting random horror movies lol.

None of them are like The Thing or as good, but there's some neat practical effects in them.
>>
>>69620952

He was simply enumerating all four pertinent two-valued possibilities, for discussion.
>>
>>69621077
there are only three possibilities
>>
File: robager.png (376 KB, 623x480) Image search: [Google]
robager.png
376 KB, 623x480
Well you see...
>>
>>69600443
I don't believe that either of them was the Thing, but I can see why people debate it. I think they wanted it that way, to leave it ambiguous. The way I see it, Mac wasn't the Thing because he had just torched the Blair monster and was the main hero of the story. You could make a case for Childs being the alien, having disappeared so mysteriously for all that time, but he had a torch and I'm pretty sure would have wasted MacReady right then and there if that was the case.
>>
>>69621133

As Macready and Childs were clearly distinct human beings up until the time of the blood test, your half-baked probability chicanery doesn't work in this case, friend.
>>
>>69621039
>It's never perfectly clear who's ex-military, but Garry and Mac seem the likeliest members of the ex-mil club.

Garry clearly was ex military and probably spec ops. Mac seemed a little too unpredictable fuck authority type for the military though.
>>
>>69603604
cause childs is impulsive and aggressive as he has been the whole movie
>>
>>69621389
why would he waste a perfectly good meal
>>
>>69622050
Point is he had the upper hand over a fatigued and unarmed Macready, and if Childs was the Thing would not have wasted time having a drink with him. No reason for pretense at that point.
>>
File: 1452669258274.jpg (104 KB, 584x767) Image search: [Google]
1452669258274.jpg
104 KB, 584x767
You suck at this and should leave this thread - you are clearly not down with this comfy film. Allow me to dismantle your pleb notions.
Clark takes dog to dogtown because CLARK IS THE FUCKING DOG GUY - that's his job, asshat! Had he refused Bennings, he would have been refusing his job, the only reason for him to be there.
Clark folds his knife because he, like everyone else, trusts Mac. Oh, and the only man who stopped Childs from getting the gun was, um, CLARK!!!! Alpha dog Clark.
And your third point just proves you're shitposting.
Buh-by now, faggot - shit up another thread.
>>
File: 1454200717447.jpg (9 KB, 180x184) Image search: [Google]
1454200717447.jpg
9 KB, 180x184
>>69621039
Watch the movie again. You're feeble shtiposting is laughable. Back to /pol/ with your silly ass.
>>
This >>69622731 is for (you) >>69620560
you (you), you!
>>
File: Childs coat.jpg (29 KB, 546x194) Image search: [Google]
Childs coat.jpg
29 KB, 546x194
>>69605168
This.

Mac thought Childs was infected as soon as he walked up because he was wearing the WRONG jacket. That's why he starts laughing when he sees him.

Pic related: Childs jacket is a blue / dark blue, but in the end he's wearing a TAN jacket. Mac saw this and knew what was up...

He confirmed it by offering Childs a drink, and by drinking it, Childs showed that he didn't give a fuck about being infected, because he was ALREADY infected.
>>
>>69623063
You really need to watch the movie again. This theory is racist bullshit. Give it the fuck up.
>>
>>69623385
>racist
nigga plz
>>
>>69623454
Based Keith David not like.
>>
Childs still had the flamethrower, and had a hurt and tired MacReady cornered. He easily could have killed/consumed him if he was a Thing.

I don't think MacReady was either, since we've been following him the whole time.

I think both of them are human, but they both agree that neither of them can be trusted
>>
>>69618040
There is an obvious distinction between the two, and it wasn't because of the lighting.

Carpenter did that to show Childs was infected.
>>
>>69622908

Whatever you have to say to balm your ego, kid.

>clark_headshot.jpg
>>
>>69623385

>racist

Will you fuck off
>>
>>69603636
Not if it took over cell by cell.
>>
>>69622731

How's the slave morality treating you? :^)
>>
>>69621527
>Mac seemed a little too unpredictable fuck authority type for the military though.

What do you think turns some people into that type?
>>
File: 1430540084774.jpg (432 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
1430540084774.jpg
432 KB, 3504x2336
>>69601564
>Vidja had several escort missions
>if your friend accumulates too much damage/fear he'll Thing-Out on you
>you complete the mission with no mistakes
>he mutates anyways
>>
>>69623657
Just stop! You are only showing us how stupid you are!! Carpenter did NO SUCH THING. You are simply blind. And ignorant of the whole Bennings-Thing. You have no viable argument. The breathing of the Thing is clearly established. Now smarten the hell up.
>>
>>69623803
Huh? Don't care about some character in a movie - do care about clearly incorrect misinterpretations. Get your facts right. This is a thread not for plebs. Know your material. Then talk. You are out of your depth here, friendo.
>>
>>69623846
My my, such language from the racist. Did the bad black man teach you that naughty naughty word?
>>
>>69623931
>The breathing of the Thing is clearly established.

But it's not established WHEN they start breathing, is it?

No, it's not.

They could need some time learning how to mimic an organism after they assimilate it, which is why Childs breath wasn't as noticeable as Mac's.

Regardless, Carpenter went out of his way to mask Childs breath, and combine that with the different colored jacket, and the fact that he willingly shared a bottle of booze with Mac, and it's obvious to anyone that paid attention that Childs was a Thing.
>>
>>69603395

That's what I think its supposed to be.

The thing kills you, then eats your body to absorb your memories/looks.
>>
File: 1452624097014.gif (674 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1452624097014.gif
674 KB, 245x180
>>69623855
Woo! Zing!
>>
>>69624082
You are retarded. Bennings was seen immediately after assimilation. Childs was seen much much later than that.

Just stop, you are really really wrong. No matter how many straws you grasp, you are wrong.

Oh, and the jacket thing is wrong, too.
>>
Any of you seen Harbinger Down? From the guys that worked on 2011 The Thing
>>
>>69624376

It's shit desu
>>
>>69624278

The only reason we see the breath from Bennings is because it was screaming. That doesn't mean it knew how to replicate normal human respiration rates.

The Jacket is rock solid evidence that Childs was a Thing, because NOBODY would have worn somebody elses jacket, and since the crew was so small, it would be easy to tell if somebody did. That's why Mac starts quietly laughing at Childs when he first sees him.
>>
>>69623931
>>69624278
>just stop
>!
>!!
>smarten the hell up
>really really
>Oh, and

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm not even the person you're arguing with, but you type like a bratty teenage girl. Get over yourself.
>>
>>69624483
even the effects? the whole point of that movie looked like they just wanted to tell the world that they could have made 2011's The Thing good
>>
>>69624552
>Why was it screaming? How did it know how to scream?? How did it know how to walk on two legs, after crawling through a broken window??? How did it know to put Benning's jacket back on???? My gawd, how could it know how to breathe?????

You are pathetic.
And the jacket? No, just no. Childs has a blue jacket. Always.

Really, you need to watch this fine movie again. And again.
>>
>>69624749
yeah the effects have no layers of special effects added on so it's very obvious, i mean with the thing it's the 80s and so no special effects added on looks a bit more natural for the times, but to see 80s style practical effects with nothing else is such a culture shock

so kinda shit
>>
>>69624940
>No, just no
>gawd

Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>69610689

One thing I like to note is that one guy touches an infected corpse with his pencil and later actually has the pencil in his mouth.

I think this one was always deliberate. And how he ends up infected.
>>
>>69624558
This tbqh famalans, your petty argument going back and forth over the same points has shit up what was originally a comfy thread.
>>
>>69624558
B-but I AM a bratty teenaged girl, anon!
>>
>>69624990
Yes, apparently, they are...
>>
>>69624990
>>69625047
Good ones! Really adds to the discussion! Thanks for the shitposts!
>>
>>69625146
You mean like you're doing? Type like you're an adult and maybe you won't derail discussions.
>>
>>69625146
Look, Sally, if you can't handle the bantz, then you should probably go back to posting with your girlfriends on tumblr...
>>
Just to interject here, people are likely getting short about this because the point on Childs' breath at the end has been raised many times in previous discussions about the film and has been largely discounted in fan circles by now. It doesn't prove that he's human, but there are holes in this particular theory about Childs being the Thing. He does breathe during that scene if you look closely; it was an editing thing not some glaring "AHA!" moment that says he must be the Thing. Some related reading on it:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-John-Carpenter-Explained-Thing-Ambiguous-Ending-35887.html
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/93887/ending-of-john-carpenters-the-thing
>>
>>69625202
So, then, add to the discussion, instead of just shitpost - like this:

>>69625000
That is a good point - but, we don't know HOW infectious the Thing is; one cell could POTENTIALLY infect an entire host, but will it? All the assimilations we see seem to involve a lot of material being exchanged, not just a couple cells.
>>
>>69625354
Bantz are fine - it's the hypocrisy that bugs me. Sally.
>>69625418
Thank you! Bloody fine contribution, much needed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRWMbGSUec
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (98 KB, 794x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
98 KB, 794x1000
Has anyone else here seen Elvis?

it's a made for tv movie about Elvis staring Kurt Russell and directed by John Carpenter. It's where the two originally met one another!

I just downloaded it and haven't watched it yet, but I was about to! Pic related, Kurt does a really good impersonation of Elvis.
>>
>>69620681
>https://www.baronhats.com/index.php/speciality-hat/product/53-the-rj

>$1,500

Kurt better have cum in it for that price.
>>
>>69625943
Interesting. Falls apart in a couple areas.
>Childs would cower inside base instead of pursuing Blair
That doesn't sound like the aggressive Childs of the film. His friends are hunting Blair - he sees Blair outside - is Childs gonna hide? Or is he gonna blast Blair to hell?
>coat turns from blue to tan
No. Snow sticks to clothing. Including coats. 'White snow on blue coat in shadows' is what we saw in the film. Not a tan coat. A blue coat covered in snow.

None of this means Childs is NOT a Thing, of course. He still could be. Just like Mac. But these points are not definitive proof.
>>
>>69626751
>No. Snow sticks to clothing. Including coats. 'White snow on blue coat in shadows' is what we saw in the film. Not a tan coat. A blue coat covered in snow.

No, what we saw was a tan coat, not a blue coat covered in snow.
>>
>>69626751
>A blue coat covered in snow

Have to disagree - snow doesn't do that to that degree. The coat is a solid color all over.
>>
>>69626787
Aand here we go again!
>>
>>69626801
Sorry, anon - snow sticks. Refer to Nauls' return after he cut Mac loose - tan coat is white. Why? Snow!!
>>
File: sn.jpg (7 KB, 234x378) Image search: [Google]
sn.jpg
7 KB, 234x378
>>69626819
>>69626849

This is not a coat covered in patches of blown snow. Physics doesn't work that way. Blown snow does not fully envelop every single area of a coat and pants to where there is nothing uncovered.
>>
>>69626882
Uh, yes, yes it does. You have clearly never wandered about in snow. Ever.
>>
File: sn2.jpg (19 KB, 835x378) Image search: [Google]
sn2.jpg
19 KB, 835x378
>>69626882
And here's an even better look. It's a solid cloth color - no snow.
>>
>>69626882
>>69626925
Oh, it's perfectly clear anon. Crystal clear.

w e w l a d
e
w
l
a
d
>>
I would like to believe that neither were the Thing.

If Macready was the thing he wouldn't have done such a compassionate (or devious) thing of offering Childs a drink, and Childs realizing this could be why he accepted the drink.

That would mean it wasnt gasoline obviously.
>>
>>69600443
idk and I don't want to think about it! STAhp
>>
File: 167640536.jpg (406 KB, 1024x679) Image search: [Google]
167640536.jpg
406 KB, 1024x679
>>69626920
Pretty sure that's you who hasn't. Snow falls when you move, and the blowing snow was nowhere near the intensity to even remotely cover the entire area. When looked at in light, a snow covered jacket will have visible contrast with the darker coat, not a solid light specific color all around.

>>69626967
It is if you'd stop deluding yourself and posting /s4s/ memery as argument.
>>
>>69600443
Didn't Rob Ager conclusively disprove this by pointing out that Childs was wearing different clothes or some shit?

And inb4 "Ager's an autist". I have no doubt, but as far as analyzing autists go, Ager's one of the few that generally backs his claims up.
>>
>>69625943
Interesting. The story that Childs ran off into the storm looking for Blair did seem a bit far-fetched given what we know of his personality. More likely Blair found him it seems.
A Blair-thing hanging out in the generator room could have easily attacked him in that time frame when the power went out. And the idea that one might lay low and try to survive much as the dog-thing did, while big bad has it out with the humans is a plausible enough strategy I guess. We already know that separate Things function independently (such as an infected Palmer pointing out the Norris-Thing to gain trust with the others) from each other so a Childs-Thing may have had the strategy to literally chill out there and wait to be found by a rescue team. Best case I've heard so far for it.
>>
>>69626967
Weren't you complaining earlier about derailing discussion? Meanwhile you're currently shitposting and bringing hostility into what had just started as more civil than the last.
>>
>>69627080
Then why did ThingChilds come back?
>>
>>69627086
His pictures are blurry and inconclusive. Yet he is purporting that they support his argument 'clearly'. That shit's funny as all hell.
>>
He's the thing because the final scene mirrors the scene with the computer.

Despite being outmaneuvered, Mac wins by giving his opponent a drink.
>>
>>69627017
>never been in snow, the post
>>
>>69627017
thats clearly a blue coat covered in snow
>>
>>69627272
They are not blurry or inconclusive. Low quality does not erase snow on dark blue contrast that easily. Go find an HD cap and you'll see the same thing. You're grasping at straws. Originally you screamed "not possible!" and now you're saying "b-b-but it's low res!". Do you want to actually address what I've brought up about physics and contrast or are you going to keep repeating the same thing over and over again?
>>
No one has mentioned the fact that John Carpenter wanted to make Mac a Thing, but felt in the end that the audience 'didn't want to see that'.
>>
>>69627350
Snow sticks to cloth, anon - no amount of shitposting will negate that simple fact. Think all you like that Childs is the Thing - you're wrong if you think it is because he's wearing a tan coat, cause he's not. Sorry. That entire line of reasoning is fallacious. Childs is wearing his own coat.

Oh, and my argument never changed, asshat. You just gave me more ammunition to use against your shatty conclusions.
>>
>>69626819
More retarded posts from you......
>>
>>69626925
Don't even bother with these retards.
>>
>>69627214
Because it was still lurking about, and wanted to see who had survived probably. Regardless of who, or what you were at the time, wouldn't you have to know?
>>
>>69627499
>Snow sticks to cloth, anon - no amount of shitposting will negate that simple fact

Again, you're not addressing the fact that it sticks differently, and that there is visible contrast on darker cloth underneath, regardless of the warmth of the lighting. Snow doesn't spread into cloth and cover every visible area, the blowing snow was no strong enough to cover his front completely anyway, and his movements regardless would have caused bits to fall off and create further contrast, which is not visible on his coat in the movie.

>That entire line of reasoning is fallacious

And why's that? You're throwing lots of claims around for some sort of illusory credibility but never go into any depth.
>>
>>69627563
Well, not if my survival depended on me freezing alone in the snow - it would seem to be pretty irrelevant to me at that point, no? I've already got my plan - why mess it up just out of curiosity?
>>
>>69627626
Snow still sticks to cloth, anon. Despite your firm assertions. Do please keep asserting, however. I am sure there are some folks lurking about who have been fooled by your pseudo-intellectual ramblings.

Unfortunately, your talk of 'contrast' and 'lighting' is just a smokescreen. And you laughably suggest that, well, the snow would just fall off his coat when he walked. Sigh.

Go find some snow, anon - your ignorance is too profound to even contemplate.

>inb4 but i was just pretending to be stupid
>>
>>69627914
>clearly proven wrong and acting victorious
>>
>>69627914
You can't >inb4 your own post, anon. That's cheating.
>>
>>69627914
>Still no specific arguments

That's what I thought
>>
Well done, /tv/. You had your rare decent thread, and you fucking ruined it with autism.
Good night.
>>
>>69628034
The thread's still up. Hide posts and discuss something else. >>69627914's pretty much proven themselves to be baiting, so it's over.
>>
>it's a "anons discuss the physical properties of snow" episode
>>
>>69601566

This is 1) true, 2) a good post and 3) regrettable that no other anon has commented on it so far.

It's also a good post because it shows you pay attention to the legit background stuff. When I was younger, I always assumed that "the third figure" was Bennings (perhaps because Bennings was the last third guy seen before they fly out on their second trip, also similar, slimmer build to Palmer), but it's borne out multiple ways.

However, you are /probably/ (not necessarily!) mistaken in your positive assertion that BOTH Palmer and Norris were things at the time of this second flight. This is a very interesting spot in the flick to think about, and it deserves more attention to spice up the thread a bit away from the Childs-meme-stuff recently.

Here is my basis for saying that exactly ONE of Palmer or Norris was a thing at the time of the flight: 1) if they really were both Things, they would have taken Mac... and then Mac would have failed his own blood test. (We accept the blood test's result, at the time it was taken, as proof-positive ID of who's who/what).

There are two sets of shredded long-johns, quietly disposed of at two different points in the movie. The clear suggestion is that one set belonged to Palmer, and the other to Norris. But the second set was not freshly discovered by Windows (Nauls finds the first set immediately after the above away-team gets back) until DAYS AFTER the trip.

As usual, the most sensible conclusion is that we are presented with tantalizing ambiguity, from which we cannot glean much positive knowledge. But the timeline strongly suggests to me that either Palmer or Norris was human at the time of the second plane ride.
>>
>>69628747

I was writing hastily and excitedly when I composed this and I don't want to repost, but I have to make a clumsy edit: I retract my assertion of the first clause in the above post. It's a nice thought but I don't agree with it.

It is SO SO SO tantalizing to consider the Thing's point of view at this point. The Thing is either one of Palmer or Norris, I'm satisfied about that! If it's Norris, then it's RIGHT FUCKING THERE by an escape vehicle! It could literally just duck down the hatch and be all "fuck this I'm goin' to spore all over earth now, bye bitch".

If it's Palmer, IT STILL HAS AN EGRESS!!! Palmer is a pilot! He could fuck off to the nearest base, the Thing clearly understands this species well enough by now to know to just spread in a goofy way!

What if BOTH are things? Then it would make the most sense to pounce on Mac. And yet per the blood test, I reject the idea that this happened at this time. Also they need fresh clothes handy, which they (it) probably didn't have.

And yet, these generally don't happen. Imagine being the thing and being that fucking close and still playing it smooth, got-damn.
>>
>>69628747
It's possible both Norris and Palmer were Things during the second flight, if we assume that Things do not recognize each other. And that is a reasonable assumption given the Thing's 'selfish' physiology (it knows nothing of cooperation or teamwork, being a single entity).
>>
Why didn't they use this on blood the beginning? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_puzzle
I mean mixing blood with each other without old samples
>>
>>69628878

And having written this, I now tease out something I haven't thought of before: /I am more strongly convinced of my personal bias that Norris is the Thing, the first victim of the dog/.

For per the events of the 2011 film, the ship was conceivably rendered inoperable, which might be known by the Thing (or perhaps the choice of Norris had the serendipitous effect of double-checking the craft, later). So Norris-thing can be argued very carefully not to have any HUMAN-CRAFT pilot-knowledge (being a direct descendant of the Norwegian dog, which was arguably the first victim of the icel-block specimen). This assumes a subtler point: chains of infection bringing along with them chains of knowledge/material, in the form of teeth, organs, eyes, language, etc. When it is in its natural(?) state, it will bring whatever it knows to bear, in self-defense.

But what if PALMER were the thing, just now? Then Palmer could simply walk back to the chopper strand them, possibly kill them. Hm, I don't recall that Palmer had any weapons, but that body clearly had the upper hand in the sequence. This furthermore leads me to belive that Palmer was still human at the time.
>>
>>69617978
I agree. I think you nailed it, it's because it's a film on which we can theorize forever and not get lost in memes or shitposting.
>>
>>69620545
Simple question: Does Child look normal at the end?
You could say "well it's because he is suspicious of Mac" but even after he sits down and accepts to drink from the bottle, he looks just different from before.
Now, it can simply be a trick of Carpenter to make us doubt and think he is the thing but...
>>
>>69620859
But that's it. There is no before you monster out.
The assimilation has been done already, only stays a brief version of the personnality just to be believable enough to the others.
When Palmer does this smirk right before he opens up as a Thing, it's really just the personality of Palmer thinking "oh hey...might be me i guess". The irony being that Palmer seemed to have these crazy theories on aliens and mayans.
>>
File: 1457465099267.gif (2 MB, 250x143) Image search: [Google]
1457465099267.gif
2 MB, 250x143
>>69628065
>>69628747
>>69628878
>>69629086
>>69629095
>>69629264
>>
The coats are the dead giveaway.

The movie puts a huge emphasis on every shot meaning something. The slow pans to the coat rack, or the doors, always mean something.

Childs had a new coat on, the movie slowly panned to the coat rack before showing him in his new coat. It's a dead giveaway.
>>
>>69629524
There is no proof of that. The Thing could remain a passenger inside the host consciousness until it decides to manifest. We do not know.
>>
>>69629640
The coats mean nothing. Those two shots occurred days apart. The coats had come down, and had been put back up, several times for several shots. Red herring.
>>
>>69629679
But there is no proof against it. Right before they monster out, they all somewhat behave like normal humans even if a little less than usual.
>>
YOU FOOLS! IT WAS THE HAT!
>>
>>69629799
That's one interpretation. But not the only one. Certainly not definitive.
>>
>>69629811
lol what?
>>
File: 1462032421427.png (75 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
1462032421427.png
75 KB, 325x244
>>69629811
Fuuuuuuuuuck me.
>>
Macready wasn't a Thing at the end, the Things in the film imitate human characteristics but dont do things as dynamic as offering someone else a drink etc.

If Mac had been a thing at the end he would have known that it was just him and Childs on the base and would attack him instead of putting on a facade.
>>
>>69630014
>Things don't do things dynamic
There's no evidence of that in the film.
>>
Remember when MacReady said if everyone was a thing they would all just attack him.

Doesn't that mean if Childs was a thing he would have just immediately attacked MacReady without a second thought?

I believe they were both human
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.