[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He was an angel, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
He was an angel, right?
>>
>>67775305
fuck off spoiler
>>
File: midnight special ending.jpg (2 MB, 4096x2160) Image search: [Google]
midnight special ending.jpg
2 MB, 4096x2160
>>67775338
>>
Here's my take:

Midnight Special is about the millennial generation and the different attitudes with which they are approached by the previous generation.
Alton is a young boy who represents the youth of today; he has these really vague abilities (particularly abilities aligned with complete control over technology and limitless, instantaneous access to information), and everyone knows he's powerful, but no one seems to understand how this is going to affect the future. The quakeresque church thinks Alton is their savior, just as today's churches are currently hoping the youth will carry on their faith; the youth is mostly secular, and this is shown by Alton's complete lack of interest in the church's goals. The government wants to control Alton just as today's government wants to have access to the youth and control them, while the youth actively tries to resist that.
At the same time, you have Alton's parents who know he's destined for great things and desire to support him in what he wants to be and where he wants to go, despite being blind to the ends. The parents represent the older generation who, despite being out of touch with the youth and its goals, know there's a better world in store for them, and are willing to put faith in their kids' great modern abilities.
>>
>>67776974
cont

Sources of light make up the most prominent motif in the film; light represents hope and progress, and it constantly cuts through the veiling darkness. Electric lights are old tech, but they still call back to a time where mankind lurched into the age of technology. Eventually the flashlights, headlights, and tungsten house lights are replaced by light produced directly from Alton, suggesting there's a much bigger leap the youth has the opportunity to make (incidentally, we also switch from trucks, vans, and muscle cars to a Toyota Prius, suggesting maybe an environmentalist approach from Nichols). Once he embraces the sunlight, he comes to an understanding of his path, and although he can't fully explain what this is to the adults, they can see it in his eyes -- he is the future, and according to the sequence at the end with all the magnificent structures, the future is dope as fuck.
>>
>>67775305
Armond White loved Midnight Special which means it`s shit.

Oh well, wanted to see Driver in it but I think I`ll pass.
>>
How do you go from shotgun stories/take shelter to trash like this and mud?
Is he going to put out a superhero movie next?
>>
>>67777098
>Armond White loved Midnight Special which means it`s shit.
how new
>>
>>67776974
>>67777006
>this character represents something
Probably the most childish way to approach film
>>
>>67778672
>analyzing something from an allegorical angle is childish

wat
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>67780300
Symbolist readings are teenagers trying to introduce logic to art. It's scraping the bottom of the intellectual barrel.
>>
>>67775305
That's no angel, it's a young Otto Octavius.
>>
>>67781593
You're saying there's a fundamental disconnect between the artistic and a logical read into what that art means?

Also, what's on top of the intellectual barrel?
>>
>>67782249
Dance
>>
>>67775413
Is that from Tomorrowland?
>>
File: ray-carney.jpg (22 KB, 300x235) Image search: [Google]
ray-carney.jpg
22 KB, 300x235
>>67782249
I'm saying that not accepting the work for what it is and instead constructing semiotic fantasies to add depth to their analysis is the reserve of high schoolers in a desperate attempt to appear smart.
>>
>>67783325
lol never mind. I thought you might have had an actual reason but sounds like you're just a weirdly cynical moron.
>>
>>67783488
Don't get upset that your teachers happily congratulate you for every vague bullshit interpretation you tack on to everything in English class. I guess that's the sorry state of education today.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.