[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>People pontificate suicide is a coward's act. Couldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: suicide.png (250 KB, 844x358) Image search: [Google]
suicide.png
250 KB, 844x358
>People pontificate suicide is a coward's act. Couldn't be further from the truth. Suicide takes tremendous courage.
Do you agree?
>>
>>69322415
Was this movie any good?
>>
>>69322415
why don't you try it first
>>
>>69322415
If suicide was easy, I would've done it already.
>>
no it's the cowards way out in the general case.
also pontificate doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>69322431
Not really. The parts with the old folks home was the only part that was good.
>>
>>69322469
exit bag bro
>>
File: 1108114628560.jpg (77 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1108114628560.jpg
77 KB, 480x640
It takes tremendous courage for an act that lasts a few moments
It's still more cowardly than dealing in the long term with the problem(s) that lead you to suicide

>>69322460
>>
I'd say suicide is only good if you're already going to die and there is no way out.
>>
>>69322415
Literally the easiest thing in the world.

It's harder to overcome a problem and continue to support your friends and family.
>>
Actually Op, you're right.
It takes a lot of courage for anyone to be willing to put their body on the edge of death and willingly throw themselves off.

In the case of your image, suicide by gun is relatively easy to do as there's almost no time for you to regret doing it, compared to a jump that gives you plenty of time to figure out "I fucked up", or "i didn't actually want this".

But it's too late.

In the aspect of continuing that existence, the existence that made you that way, that drove you that far and deep into your mind, being unable to take it all, no matter how relatively easy it could be for some people, that takes real courage.
>>
>>69322506
I agree with this.
>>
It does take some strength of will to go against your biological need to survive. However on a higher level it is a cowardly act because you are refusing to deal with your future.
>>
>>69323792
This. Obviously it's not easy to make yourself kill yourself. But giving up at anything is bad enough, doing so at life is literally the most cowardly and selfish thing you can do. You leave everyone else to pick up the pieces because you refused to deal with problems yourself
>>
cuz suicide is painless

it brings on many changes

and i can take or leave it if i please
>>
Yes it's cowardly, you are basically copping out of your whole life.
It shows you don't have enough courage to face your problems, you would literally rather die than have to face your issues.

Just being real with you. I've considered suicide and if I fail out of school and I let my mental disorder control my life I may take that option but it really is a pathetic thing to do.
>>
>>69322415

>suicide is a coward's act

the shit normies say
>>
>>69322415
Pretty much every little action you take is in effort to preserve/prolong your life, or to create new life. To go entirely against your nature takes some big fat testicles.
>>
>>69322415
I absolutely adore this movie. Easily the most impressive editing of the 21st century.
>>
itt people repeating things they heard in movies
>>
>>69322415
pretentious garbage movie
>>
>>69322415
If you're a pussy ass faggot who's pretending to have a bleeding heart so you can masturbate over your own romantic fantasies like the dumb ass writer who wrote that shit, or a Samurai in Edo Japan who is pretty much forced to do it, yes it's hard to do, but courage implies that it's somehow scary which it isn't to the average onlooker only retarded and sometimes funny how could that be courageous?

90% of the time when people kill themselves it's because they are mentally fucked up having fucked up levels of dopamine in their brain and feel so shit they actually just want to die, usually worthless drug addicts.
>>
>>69322415
Suicide only means you have to be courageous once. Living means you have to be courageous for the rest of your life.

The true cowards way is hiding away in your room, waiting for things to get better on their own. Wasting your life away in-front of a screen because it's non-confrontational. That's not living at all.
>>
>>69322431
It fell somewhere between a good film and a good movie.

I loved the multiple story lines.
>>
>>69322431
i liked the old people's home parts andhugo weaving in korean makeup was so bad it was good

besides that tom hanks says nigger that's about it
>>
maybe suicide isn't about courage or cowardice or selfishness and is just about wanting to no longer be in pain, like pulling your hand away from something hot. nobody asks if people who jump out of burning buildings are courageous or cowardly: they understand that the jumper doesn't want to be on fire.
>>
>>69322415

>abandoning all your responsibilities
>causing your family and friends grief and mental stress
>not a cowards way out

People who commit suicide are only thinking of themselves.
>>
>>69322415
I wouldn't call it courage to hesitate before you decide to do something that is guaranteed to be fatal
>>
>>69322415
Depends on the reason for it.
>>
>>69322431
it's kino and i mean that from the bottom of my heart
>>
>>69322506
this pretty much sums it up
>>
>>69324364
>so you can masturbate over your own romantic fantasies like the dumb ass writer who wrote that shit
the character's life was over by that point, his family disowned him, he was out of money and he was wanted for attempting to murder his former employer.
>>
>>69322471
>implying it's somehow more courageous to prostrate yourself before mans false justice than it is to cast yourself into unknown oblivion

They're clearly both acts that require courage the former just happens to also be idiotic. Put in that same position I'd probably do the same as long as up and disappearing wasn't an option due to technological or economic constraints.
>>
File: 1453449739712.jpg (105 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453449739712.jpg
105 KB, 720x1080
>>69322431
Gorgeously shot, impeccably edited, meticulously detailed, engagingly acted. Most importantly, it doesn't give a fuck about accessibility, allowing it the freedom to do crazy shit like the future pidgin language and the dynamic, Oscar-worthy editing that draws parallels and contrasts between classic genre storytelling styles, the recurring themes and images. Stories that would be oscarbait dramas or pulpy thrillers become their most human, incisive and empathetic when pared down to their barest essentials and criss-crossed, turning the film into a sort of Rosetta Stone of fiction as part of its greater metaphor of how every life and action has a butterfly effect that echoes through time. There's something distinctly Old Hollywood about it, like it was the kind of Griffith-style epic Nolan's been struggling to make since TDKR. I love it down to the hokey racebending-to-prove-a-point makeup. This is pure kino.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>Implying making the choice to embrace death on your own terms, not knowing with any certainty what comes next, isn't the bravest thing a person can do

Suicide is the honorable alternative in most cases. Or do you find the idea of your family finding your bloated, 85 year-old corpse rotting in the tub after you had a heart attack in the middle of a shower, the stink of your decaying flesh and the putrid mess unleashed when you voided your bowels watering their eyes, somehow more dignified than simply ending it when and where you decide?
>>
>>69322506
bingo
>>
>tfw read the news about school kids that killed themselves over shit grades and yet im still too pussy to do it
>>
File: black-books.jpg (38 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
black-books.jpg
38 KB, 625x352
>>69322415
Yeah, sure. I'm tired of hearing living takes real courage, or suicide is just a coward's act. Not really, no. You get up, have some corn flakes, maybe deal with the soul crushing realization you will never accomplish anything meaningful and history will forget your existence, but you're brought into this world without a choice and it doesn't require courage to continue said existence, or pay bills, work your way out of debt, those require motivation, a work ethic, access to the right opportunities let's say, not living in a third-world country or being born into slavery. There's nothing particularly brave about it. Whether you clock out early or meander around for another 40 years until you suffer an embolism, I mean, suicide requires you actually making a decision with your life. A really stupid one, but living on, not living well, is passive.
>>
>>69322415

>if you believe in God
takes balls to go to hell
>if you're a fedora tipper
easy way out
>>
File: ordinary people.jpg (197 KB, 1063x1500) Image search: [Google]
ordinary people.jpg
197 KB, 1063x1500
>>69322415
>>
>>69322415
Not necessarily courageous. But not the act of cowardice so many people including other posters here have made it out to be. No one signed up for life the only natural right anyone has at all in life is death, if someone wants to go out on their own terms that's their business. Personally don't like the people who decide to have other people take them out instead of doing it themselves(throwing themselves in front of trains/buses, suicide by cop, etc)
>>
>>69327700
>Personally don't like the people who decide to have other people take them out instead of doing it themselves(throwing themselves in front of trains/buses, suicide by cop, etc)

My friend's Uncle died because a woman tried to commit suicide by ramming her vehicle into his. At least, that's what she said.
>>
>>69322415
i'm too much of a coward to kill myself so i agree.
>>
>>69322415
yes, but most people commit suicide for dumbshit reasons
>>
I've always seen it as being an act of conviction rather than courage. You have to be pretty convinced life will never get better to decide right now is a good stopping point.
>>
>>69322415
Just because there are people too much of a pussy to kill themselves doesn't mean it takes courage to do it. No one says it's brave to crush a spider just because there are faggots who fear them.
>>
>>69322471
>the cowards way out

Opting out of something you never asked for is somehow cowardly?
>>
>>69322415
If you a have a life so terrible that you consider suicide in the first place, then it's not courageous; it's easy. If you live blissfully everyday and for some reason or another, maybe to save someone else's life, you willfully commit suicide, then you are courageous.
>>
>>69322415
Sometimes, but usually it's retards who are either too edgy, or too cowardly to deal with the consequences of their actions
>>
>>69322469
No one says it's easy. People say its a coward's way out
>>
>>69322431
Liberal propaganda
>>
>>69322415
Suicide is for faggots who flee from everything to the point they can't even face reality.
>>
>>69322415
Of course. I'm a coward and it's the only reason I'm still alive. Look no further
>>
>>69322415
suicide is the only option once you've bypassed your biological programming that clouds your every thought since birth and grasp the truth that is Reality
>>
>>69324364
>fucked up levels of dopamine in their brain
shouldnt this make them happier?
>>
>>69324382
Underrated post
>>
>It takes tremendous courage to give up
>>
>>69330664
Yeah, your dopamine levels are what keep you alive.

Getting a rush from stupid pointless shit that doesn't matter because everyone on here will be dust in 100 years.

Kinda how you never think about death despite it being certain.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.