[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was wondering how colorization of old black and white TV show
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: i_love_lucy_71360.jpg (109 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
i_love_lucy_71360.jpg
109 KB, 600x300
Was wondering how colorization of old black and white TV show work. Is there a quicker system or does every frame have to be digitally painted? And how do they know what colors belong?
>>
>>69319964
that's pretty bizarre seeing fred and ethel in color
>>
File: tv explains cinematography.jpg (195 KB, 800x1021) Image search: [Google]
tv explains cinematography.jpg
195 KB, 800x1021
>>69319964
>>
>>69319964

I think computers detect and remember the forms, or something like that, so that speeds up the process.
>>
>>69319964
If it is every frame I can understand why they can only do around two a year. Must take forever.
>>
I've seen several colorized eps on TV, do they not sell colorized dvds?
>>
I've seen the Miracle on (whatever) street colorized.

I think its kind of a cool "look" for a film. Makes it seem like a living painting.

I'm not for colorization but its definitly an interesting visual
>>
Still no answer?
>>
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O0gOvC-uvg
>>
>>69319964
it's useless knowledge: computers will do it without any human intervention whatsoever in a couple of years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSViqdd0tU
>>
>>69322430
Geez. That looks hard as fuck.
>>
>>69322505
That looks shitty though.
>>
>>69322630
Like any sort of film editing/process, it takes patience and time. Though how hard it is depends on the company doing the colorization and how detailed they want to be. Most companies don't want to do more than basic colors (so one flat color for the entire face, sometimes even covering the eyes, rather than using different skin tones and colorations, etc) so it ends up looking flat.
>>
>>69322776
Yeah. I know some of the colorized thing just do the people and flatout leave the backgrounds black and white.
>>
>>69320250
>tfw I used to think people saw in black and white when I was younger
I was not a smart kid
>>
>>69322505
>computers will do it without any human intervention whatsoever in a couple of years
That would be nice. I would life to see all of I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke released in color.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.