[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the cinematic direction in this show so boring? >Establishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Mg7TpOaw.jpg (24 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Mg7TpOaw.jpg
24 KB, 512x512
Why is the cinematic direction in this show so boring?

>Establishing shot
>Focus in on 2 or 3 characters talking, usually sitting or standing still
>Very few tracking shots or longshots
>Poorly shot/edited action scenes

Jesus Christ at least Breaking Bad had a lot of visually interesting shots and cinematography.

GoT isn't any better directed than your average soap opera.
>>
try harder next time, this was pathetic
>>
>>69288702
>GoT isn't any better directed than your average soap opera.
Because is an average soap opera. With tits, dragons and some action for the nerds, but a soap opera.
>>
>>69288803
I'm being serious, even the SW prequels had better direction than GoT.
>>
I hate the show, each season and episode is a standalone boring episode that completely sucks. If the hour long episode was a movie it would be 1/10. But for some reason everyone loved the first and second season so now no matter what appears on screen, it will ALWAYS be 9/10 hyped GoT despite, if it being a pilot, all the episodes sucking complete dick and being so fucking boring for the viewer.

OOMMGG I cant even express what they are doing. Show us some background story or world to show the world still exists, not these fucking close ups of established characters with boring stories that are completely irrelevant after a few episodes
>>
>>69288702
>Very few tracking shots or longshots
Why would these be necessary in an intimate drama?
>>
I haven't seen GoT so I don't know how accurate OP is being, but apparently in television they prefer very bland filmmaking because it's more consistent when you have many directors and other people working on a show that could run for years and years. They also save time by doing shot reverse shots, and the lighting may also be bland so you don't have to fiddle with it every time you change camera angles.

Short shows probably have more accomplished filmmaking.
>>
File: that's some tough meat.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
that's some tough meat.jpg
70 KB, 1280x720
UMBERMENCSH CONFIRMED

THE UMBERS REFUSED TO KNEEL OR SWEAR FEALTY. UMBERS INSULTED RAMSAY TO HIS FUCKING FACE. UMBERS POACHED A RANDOM DIREWOLF TO POSE AS SHAGGY DOG. UMBERS STILL HEART STARKS 4EVER.

UMBERMENSCH CONFIRMED. GET HYPE.
>>
>>69288887
> tracking shots for the intense dramatic moments
> longshots for the action
>>
>>69288868
>Show us some background story or world to show the world still exists,

I agree. I would like to have seen some Dorne, the place seems empty since we only focus on Doran/Sand Snakes.

We also haven't seen much of the outside of KL since the first season.
>>
File: f3.jpg (26 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
f3.jpg
26 KB, 625x352
>>69288702

Watch Utopia instead if you're looking for good cinematography.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBN0XTVfn0E
>>
>>69288702
Because it's a fucking tv show
>>
>>69288953
>Short shows probably have more accomplished filmmaking.
This is correct, just look at True Detective.
>>
>>69288887
Tracking/longshots have become a giant meme by peeople who know the word "cinematography" but very little about it.
>>
To be honest yeah it is getting painful to watch in terms of the scene upon scene of uninteresting story lines and meh cinematography.

It feels like we have to suffer through the boring early episodes of each season to get to the interesting stuff at the end of the season. I think its worse this time though as there haven't been any hooking plot developments, its still the same hooks from last season which haven't been expanded or delivered upon, just feel unsatisfied watching the latest episodes while waiting for them to conclude or at least expand upon the boring story lines. The only major plot development since last season was Jon Snow's resurrection and that was anticlimactic. Everything else has been delivered poorly and unsatisfying for the viewer imo.

3 episodes in and barely anything has happened. I find myself tabbing out or looking at my phone a lot these past few episodes.
>>
>>69288702
reminds me of season 2 of daredevil and true detective.
>>
File: 1403558023972.jpg (21 KB, 225x320) Image search: [Google]
1403558023972.jpg
21 KB, 225x320
>>69288702
>its a cinematographyfag thread

nobody cares retard. pretentious upside down tracking reverse longshots dont add shit to anything. writing is the only thing that ever matters. that said, the writing is shit nowadays anyway.

kill yourself
>>
>>69288702
There a lot if different directors doing the show.
It would be jarring to watch the show if each director tried to add their own flavor to each episode so they keep stuff simple.

Imagine what the show would look like if Tarantino, Tarkovsky, Malick and the list goes on and on were directing different episodes. Normies would go mental.
>>
>>69291490
It'd be a cool experiment to have a bunch of auteurs all shoot and direct an identical script, and compare the results.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.