[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has RLM jumped the shark?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10
File: 15235235232526.jpg (20 KB, 231x318) Image search: [Google]
15235235232526.jpg
20 KB, 231x318
Has RLM jumped the shark?
>>
Maybe a little. Shooting "Rich" and floating him away in a bouncy castle was pretty funny, though.
>>
I just tried to watch RLM for the first time and.. What the hell? I can't believe the amount of positive attention they receive here is in earnest?

Do they make these threads themselves? There wikipedia article certainly reads like they wrote it themselves. It's just a bunch of socially inept twats with hardly any life experience making base observations about film, I doubt they've once read an art theory text in their lives.

Be better, /tv/
>>
Mike has gotten senile. It's pathetic to hear him talk about movies at all now. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Plinkett review destroys their popularity.
>>
>>69287475
Literally who the hell is RLM?

I hear this name posted but never knew who it was
>>
>>69287712
Reddit's Limey Mothers
>>
>>69287622
They have been shilling here for years, atleast it seems people are slowly learning
>>
These guys are terrific!
>>
>>69287767
>#1 respected film reviewers on the internet
>have to resort to shilling

Oh please.
>>
>>69287622
Its like /mu/ and anthony fantano. /tv/ likes them because they can relate to them. It has literally nothing to do with the quality of what they produce.

And yea, a shitload of shilling themselves as well.
>>
>>69287767
>375,190 subscribers • 120,570,772 views

You have to be retarded or delusional to think they'd need to shill at all.
>>
>>69287832
>Respected film reviewer on the internet
>Respected
>On the internet
Fuck off shill
>>
File: where-scrubs.webm (390 KB, 484x354) Image search: [Google]
where-scrubs.webm
390 KB, 484x354
>>69287622
>Be better, /tv/
>>
>>69287894
you don't just get that many subscribers/views by sitting around waiting for people to come to you dumb ass
>>
>>69288011
Yes you do if you create something as popular as the Plinkett's Star Wars reviews. It went fucking viral before we even used word viral.
>>
>>69287475
osteoporosis dance was RLMs shark. they will never be this funny again.
>>
>>69287693
maybe he'll go full lucas in a few years and "enhance" the old ones with new scenes/effects instead. that would be too fucking funny
>>
>>69287767
>>69287839
>>69287894
>>69287896
>>69288011

>SHILLING ON 4CHAN
there is like thousands people on the whole 4chan
there are millions on reddit
there are millions on facebook
there are millions on twitter
there are millions on instagram
there are millions on youtbe
there are millions on ...

why in the name of fuck would they be here shilling?
>>
>>69287475
Yes. The "so bad its good" sketches are wearing thin.
>>
>>69288256
That's not what jumping the shark means you pleb. Leave this board and don't come back until you understand basic pop culture references.
>>
>>69288390
AT least in the case of facebook and twitter, you have to pay for exposure. Not sure how those other sites work.

Sorry sekrit club, the "social media gurus" post here and other boards, because its free, its anonymous, and if your post fails you've lost nothing but 30 seconds of your time.
>>
>>69288390
they shill on reddit, facebook, twitter etc. too. WHY WOULDN'T THEY? Why is it so hard to believe that they promote themselves on the the internet??
>>
>>69287475
PUT
MORE
EFFORT
IN
IT
YOU
FAGS

(video of them actually putting in a lot of effort and making great product)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CnEx6fxbvE

>>69288513
>i mention reddit, facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube and theri millions and millions of users
>hurr durrr Why is it so hard to believe that they promote themselves on the the internet??
4chan is not THE INTERNET you gypsy
4chan is barely popular, it's fringe
there are more people on the fuckin tumblr

why would they waste their time to shill here when they can shill on twitter/reddit/facebook and get shitload of more views?
>>
>>69288667
>4chan is barely popular, it's fringe
It isnt 06 anymore
>>
>>69287622
They have good episodes and meh episodes.

If you want to see one of their better reviews, watch the jack and Jill Half in the Bag
>>
>>69287896
I dislike rlm but they got popular because of their review of the prequel SW trilogy, which became viral, they're essentially responsible for the entire "the prequels suck" bandwagon
>>
>>69288667
I do t care if the skits are lazy, I want them to put more effort into their reviews again beyond analyzing the plot.

The best episodes is when they analysis the actual film making techniques and choices, and talking about the people who worked on it, their history and how it ties into the film. I love when jay gives a shit load of info about obscure shit. What set them appart was they seemed to know a little bit about film, film making while being down to earth.

Instead they pretend to have never heard of shit and not understand things and it's fucking annoying, just like every other reviewer.

If this cunts are shilling here then read this. Stop obsessing over the plot and discuss the film, not just the story.
>>
>>69288700
by popular i meant number of users not bad reputation on other media
it's like a shitty small night bar where low-level thugs hang around

some japanese guy bought 4chan for peanuts
yahoo bought tumblr for 1 billion
>>
>>69288667
because they probably analyze where their incoming views come from and then promote their new stuff on those sites? its hilarious that people think they're clueless normies who put stuff up on youtube and are just bewildered that they magically get views.,
>>
>>69288471
Does jon hein still work for Sirius?
>>
>>69288812
good point
that two-parter episode of analyzing Jack an Jill was pure gold
>>
>>69288811
>they're essentially responsible for the entire "the prequels suck" bandwagon

Bzzzt.
Care to try again?
>>
>>69287475
I really liked the latest episode.

When he actually started Shooting the uncocked gun, I was actually laughing for the first time in a long whilr
>>
>they don't like Civil War
>suddenly they are "past it"

hello disney marketeers
>>
>>69288889
Fuck off disney shill
>>
>>69288812
I get what you're saying, but the close analysis approach is heavily dependent on the movie they're reviewing. If they just feel ''meh'' about the movie, like they do about most comic book movies, it's understandable that they're not going to perform a really close analysis.

But to say that they just criticize the plot is to oversimplify. They always discuss stuff like tone and structure and character motivation.
>>
4chan is like the perfect marketing tool because it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a marketer driving home the same narrative day after day and an ocd autist posting the same posts every day.
>>
>>69288811
>no one disliked the prequels before Plinkett

hang yourself
>>
>>69287622

I think people have a fondness for them because of the Star Wars reviews. That's all it is.
>>
>>69288811
The prequels always sucked. RLM just put it into words.
>>
>>69289055
also the fact that they're funny.
>>
>>69288934
Were you a child when the prequels came out?
Did you only start using the internet in the last 5 years or so?

"the prequels suck" bandwagon as you put it, started rolling shortly after the second one came out. You obviously don't know how often the line "This movie is going to be much better because it's darker" was used to describe Revenge of the Sith.
>>
File: ScreenHunter_02 May. 09 06.49.jpg (65 KB, 1145x655) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_02 May. 09 06.49.jpg
65 KB, 1145x655
>>69288849
What is target marketing?
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
Hey RML if you really are shilling and read this ILY guys
>>
File: VOLCANO-DIGIT-Vaporizer.png (1 MB, 2095x2238) Image search: [Google]
VOLCANO-DIGIT-Vaporizer.png
1 MB, 2095x2238
Does Mike smoke pot?

Would he like it if I sent him a vaporizer?
>>
>>69287622
They start to say something intelligent, and then realize that nobody these days wants to hear intelligent things. Then, they decide to say something stupid, with a little bit of intelligence mixed in, because that's all people want to hear anymore. Then they get shit on for doing that by the same people that would have shit on them for being smart or stupid.
>>
>>69288952
"Structure and character motivation" is really just discussing the plot.

As for tone, they barely touch on it. Just watch the green room review and how many times they just say "it's miserable" instead of actually breaking it down.

>If they just feel ''meh'' about the movie, like they do about most comic book movies, it's understandable that they're not going to perform a really close analysis.
The problem is that's over half of what they review and they don't do much but complain how it didn't go how they wanted (rather than analysis the film for what it is). ie complaining that MoS/BvS are dark superman movies, rather than judging them on how well they execute that concept. It makes for extremely boring reviews. They should actually discuss the FILM eg BvS and civil war look extremely different yet at no point do they ever discuss the film making techniques that cause this.
>>
>>69289506
I wouldn't say structure and character motivation = plot. They all inform each other, but they're not the same thing.

As for tone, they do talk about it, and they talked about the tone of Green Room quite a bit. You're oversimplifying their review. I don't quite know what you mean by ''break down''. You can't go into HitB expecting a Plinkett style review when it's just two guys talking with barely any scripted material.

I agree with you that the movies they choose to review can sometimes lead to uninspired material, it's a problem that I have with them as well. It's baffling to me that you would criticize their MoS/BvS reviews for those reasons you cite, because they do discuss the films and why they didn't work.

I mean you can complain about RLM not discussing cameras and focal lengths etc., really going into the nitty gritty of the technical stuff, but they still talk about that aspect of films more than most others.
>>
>>69287622
>It's just a bunch of socially inept twats with hardly any life experience making base observations about film
exactly
>>
>>69289102
>started rolling shortly after the second one came out
what? nobody liked the phantom menace either.
>>
RLM have done the exact opposite of jumping the shark. They've done nothing new or bold, taken no risks. They're so afraid of jumping the shark that they've really done nothing at all.
>>
>>69290352
Patreon subscribers got a peek at a set they're building for as yet unannounced project.
>>
They should stick to BOTW. Pretty clearly the best thing they do.
>>
>>69288390

>thousands on the whole chan

no, theres millions
>>
>>69289481
He'd love it because he can sell at the pawn shop
>>
Will Jessi ever return?

They have not explained her disappearance at all.
>>
>>69290328
It was actually positive at release, dipping into mixed as more people saw it. Going into the second movie, majority of people were still willing to write Phantom menace as the bad movie every series has.
>>
>>69290641
People posted rumours that she saw some stalkery subreddit about her and decided to stay off camera. I personally think she and Mike aren't seeing each other anymore.
>>
I realised they were hacks when in their video for Transformers 3 they admitted that both only saw one half of the whole movie and then complained that it didn't make sense. Like, regardless of how good or bad Transformers 3 is that's just lazy and retarded.
>>
>>69290648
Yeah, that's why they scaled back Jar Jar to two scenes in the second one, because everyone loved the Phantom Menace.
>>
>>69287475
It's still comfy. I kinda noticed him mugging / doing more goofy reactions than normal.
>>
Why is RLM so based?
>>
>>69288811
The people vs George Lucas is pretty good evidence that people outside of RLM hated the prequels.
>>
>>69293258
>based
Why do anons use so much DANK urban slang on this site these days.
>>
>>69293784
Which came first tho? The RLM prequels videos or The people vs George Lucas film?
>>
>>69294957
Why is thread so bumped?
>>
>posting in a literal failed filmmakers become low effort youtube vloggers thread
>>
>>69287622
they've been spamming themselves here for literally years.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 376x471) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 376x471
>>69287622
RLM FANBOYS BTFO
>>
>>69287475
>it's a Mike gets an actor's name wrong episode
>>
Why won't Jay show us his feet?
>>
>posting in a zero-content zombie rlm thread
>>
>>69287475
They already said everything they had to say and made the movie they wanted to make.
>>
>>69298759
This.
>>
>>69287622
>Be better, /tv/
Couldn't have constructed a better "redditism" if I'd tried.
>>
>>69298822
This is such an important point. Thank you.
>>
>>69290648
Just curious, how old were you when that movie came out? Did you see it with your parents?
>>
>>69289506
I agree with this nigga.
>>
Their TFA half in the bag was it for me.

TFA had a lot of the same problems as the prequels but for some reason they love one and hated the others.
>>
>>69299993
>for some reason they love one and hated the others
The reason was that TFA is good and the prequels are fucking terrible.
>>
I can't believe these people don't share the same opinion as me on a movie.

Fuck them.
>>
>>69300039
>prequels are fucking terrible
People loved TPM until Episode II came out. I remember the phrase "George Lucas saved my childhood" going around at the time.
>>
>>69290148
Not the same anon but they just said bvs was miserable and cv was not, even when dealing with somewhat similar premises. Yeah they brought it up, but never really talked in depth about the reasons.
Also, you obviously can't expect every HitB to be a plinkett review, but they are film school graduates, they know this shit and can talk about it even if its not heavily scripted. They can bring to the table the technical aspect of films, wich to me is their greatest hook as reviewers. We all know bvs was fucking miserable. Tell us something we don t know.

Also
>I'M DYING LAUREN
>>
RLM are the living embodiment of the smug, detached Gen-X ethos.

I'd venture to guess none of them has felt a single sincere conviction about anything since childhood. They exist as polyps upon the colon of culture, satiating themselves on the perceived failures of others (i.e. "The Man") while adding nothing new to the discourse aside from ironic complaint.

They're a group of insecure, lost, rapidly aging burnouts who silently believe they could do a better job of making films than the professionals in the industry. Yet they lack the ambition and ability to actually enter the very industry they're obsessed with. They choose instead to fuck around and make student film piss-takes well into middle age.

They are awful, awful people. I've met thousands just like them, and the last thing we need is for these people to gain any attention for their navel gazing.

Please, /tv/, do not aspire to become anything like these people. Theirs is a lonely and pathetic road leading to depression and a life devoid of real purpose.

I hope they disappear and their disaffected followers stop subsidizing their lifestyle. Perhaps that would force them to do something productive with themselves.
>>
>>69300180
>People loved TPM
No matter how many times you repeat this, no one is going to believe it, you autist.
>>
>>69300039

Dumb opinion here. They were all garbage. RLM ripped on the prequels problems (rightfully so), but pretty much ignored the same problems in TFA.
>>
Revenge of the Sith is the best prequel. It holds up quite well. The duel is amazing, the second best in the saga after the Qui Gon/Maul/Obi Wan one because of the emotional depth (Obi Wan's sadness).
>>
>>69300248
>Please, /tv/, do not aspire to become anything like these people. Theirs is a lonely and pathetic road leading to depression and a life devoid of real purpose.
Yeah, I'm sure we're all doing much better.
>>
>>69300242
>film school graduates
this is like beauty school tier education though
>>
>>69300515
It's literally only good to make cleaver comments on a YT video and they still don't do it.
>>
>>69299579
What's the average age around here anyways? TPM came out like 17 years ago.
>>
>>69288667
>That piece of kaka falling out of Mike's mouth

Literally KINO.
>>
>>69299993
TFA is literally the queen of all nostalgia soft reboots. Its competent, has enough heart to fool the plebs, and brings back familiar stuff from the original movie. It can't stand on its own feet, but it fits as a safe and friendly star wars sequel. Yes, even killing off han solo.
Disney just got it right, they have the recipe to make efficient films with just about enough of everything to perform well with critics and box office, but nothing more. It was a forgettable product by itself.
>>
>>69288811
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGbX4vm0ac
everyday till you faggots learn it
>>
>>69290856
That was the whole premise of the review and I thought it was one of the more interesting ones as they pieced together the plot. If it was a standard review there's really no new criticisms they could make to have it stand out.
>>
I think the man milk bit made me laugh harder than I've ever laughed when watching RLM

am i reddit or was that hysterical?
>>
>>69288041
>It went fucking viral before we even used word viral.
people were saying viral long before 2009. just because you were too young to see it happen doesn't mean it didn't
>>
mike invented e-celebrity, reviewing movies on youtube, prequel hate and viral marketing. Is he the greatest mind of the information age?
>>
>>69288390Stats
Page impressions per month: 703,000,000
Unique visitors per month: 27,700,000
Posts per day: 900,000-1,000,000
Alexa Traffic Rank: 855 (Global) & 428 (US)
>>
>>69300835
probably early to mid 20s, as an average age, but there are some old fuck outliers like me in their mid 30s who have been here forever.

Its true, you can never leave.
>>
>>69303090
38 here, 4chan is crack
>>
>previously recorded
Number one reason why I'm not donating to their patreon. Get that normalfag shit out of here.
>>
>>69303418
Ya, I actually feel bad for the kids who fuck around in here in college. They don't realize that life gets way more boring as you get older.
>>
>>69303451
>normalfag
pre rec is easily the nerdiest thing in the rlm portfolio
>>
File: 1333079314656.jpg (18 KB, 229x272) Image search: [Google]
1333079314656.jpg
18 KB, 229x272
>>69287475
I've noticed Mike has been really out of it the last few episodes. When I went back and watched their first Half in the Bag episodes he seems so much more lucid than he does now. He seemed like he was drinking more heavily in the last Best of the Worst, and he's been putting on weight, so I'm worried he might have a drinking problem.
>>
>>69303485
Yeah, nothing excites me anymore.
>>
>>69303570
I've noticed it for over a year now desu. I don't know if it has to do with drinking, but he's definitely been low on energy. He seems to act how I was when I was struggling with depression, so it could be that.
>>
I hate the other RLM thread. They keep discussing Captain America Civil War instead of RLM.
>>
Fine, RLM sucks. What's the alternative? Is there a reviewer who makes good criticism on films while being mildly entertaining?

Every youtuber is just some dildo talking into his camera using quick cuts.
>>
Is RLM board culture? I'd imagine every one of us has watched the Plinkett reviews, not so much the other stuff.
>>
>>69288429
this

'so bad it's good' stuff works for a while usually. then eventually the artists realize they can just as easily be lazy and get the same result, then the so bad its good becomes ironically lazy bad and they're toast
>>
>>69287622
Mike was in film school you fucking retard
>>
>>69287475
>Has RLM jumped the shark?
Jeezus shit, hasn't EVERYTHING?
>>
>>69304116
Read actual criticism, you faggot.
>>
>>69288811
>responsible for the entire "the prequels suck" bandwagon
are you a retard? you better be
>>
>>69304116
Nostalgia Critic
>>
SMUG
>>
My father is an alcoholic and Mikes behavior is very similar to his.
Especially how he moves his face in the latest HITB
>>
Ahh yes, Reddit Letter Media
The movie "critics" for people who don't really watch movies because they are "too busy" playing video games and watching animu.

But hey, LE STAR WARS PREQUELS SUCK XDDD right?
>>
Best RLM moment?
>>
Mike has given up, there is not a shred of interest or enthusiasm in him for any of the videos he's done recently.

He doesn't want to do them but has to because he's the face of RLM and people throw their toys out of the pram if he isn't in BOTW.

The pretending to be drunk thing / the actually being drunk on camera is just so weird and awkward.

Also he's recently started to do this fake laugh thing.

meh, time to find a bunch of new reviewers because these guys haven't jumped the shark, their star attraction just doesn't care anymore.
>>
File: 1459121762479.gif (3 MB, 303x333) Image search: [Google]
1459121762479.gif
3 MB, 303x333
>>69307477
he's still enthusiastic about bullying Rich Evans and as long as he is, I will watch..
>>
>>69305971
>But hey, LE STAR WARS PREQUELS SUCK XDDD right?

I didn't particularly enjoy them no.

Why is having any opinion automatically group you into whatever the hot new Youtube camp is?
>>
>>69287622
>just a bunch of socially inept twats with hardly any life experience making base observations about film

So basically /tv/ in a nutshell?
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.